You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Texas AA sucks???

11 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
2,795 posts
10,514 battles

Texas is supposed to have great AA. Gives up speed and secondaries to get it. Just in a match vs a Ryujo and was attacked by torp bombers at least 5 times and managed to shoot down 3. None before they launched. Is it even worth having AA without god level DFAA?

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,361 posts
9,988 battles
6 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Texas is supposed to have great AA. Gives up speed and secondaries to get it. Just in a match vs a Ryujo and was attacked by torp bombers at least 5 times and managed to shoot down 3. None before they launched. Is it even worth having AA without god level DFAA?

There was a thread on this....seems other Texas players may share your opinion, but others think its fine...haven't taken mine out.....yet :)

[CVA16]
Members
2,795 posts
10,514 battles

Probably works OK vs a T4 but I keep getting uptiered. Just got attacked by DB, multiple hits. None shot down even though I reinforced that side. Its not like you can dodge anything. The CV players are all getting better at dodging flak and hitting targets. Co-OP is looking better and better.

If Texas has usless AA, what chance to lesser ships have?

Edited by Sabot_100

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,484 posts
10,170 battles

I took my Texas out a bit ago and while I didn't knock down a lot of planes I did a heck of a lot of damage to them, damage to planes was added to the potential damage counter.

[CVA16]
Members
2,795 posts
10,514 battles
5 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I took my Texas out a bit ago and while I didn't knock down a lot of planes I did a heck of a lot of damage to them, damage to planes was added to the potential damage counter.

A damaged plane means nothing if nobody shoots it down. Insta heal on returning to CV. Some planes even have inflight heals.

[GWG]
[GWG]
17,484 posts
10,170 battles
1 minute ago, Sabot_100 said:

A damaged plane means nothing if nobody shoots it down. Insta heal on returning to CV. Some planes even have inflight heals.

I know but I was putting that out for reference. The problem with the Texas' AA is it is mostly 20mm & 40mm so it will not get many kills unless the CV attacks the Texas. Now the Atlanta, it is still the monster of the AA midway and it is not spotted by planes until they are in range of the 5" heavy AA. My experience is that ships with dual purpose guns get lots of plane kills even when they are not the target.

[CVA16]
Members
2,795 posts
10,514 battles

As a side query, is there a way to go back to balanced AA once you have designated a side? I assumed there would be but haven't found it yet. Sometimes you don't know which side the planes off your bow are going to go and turning the ship may not be an option (island, slow speed, etc.).

13 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

I know but I was putting that out for reference. The problem with the Texas' AA is it is mostly 20mm & 40mm so it will not get many kills unless the CV attacks the Texas.

I wasn't getting many kills even when I was being attacked. 3 kills in 5+ attack waves is piddling, and none of the kills actually prevented a launch. Most of the torps hit so they were launching close. I thought all those New York players I saw were stupid in the CV apocalypse, but my Texas had about the same effect so why not go for the extra speed and secondaries.

Texas needs DFAA to at least punish the attackers after they launch.

[GWG]
[GWG]
17,484 posts
10,170 battles

Click on that side again to set it to balanced.

I took my own Texas out a few times after that post and yeah, her AA is wimpy on getting kills but if we are rewarded well for plane damage it will make book.

On the kills he real plane killer now is flak which is the long range heavy AA which makes ships with dual purpose guns the most deadly so DD's are surprisingly dangerous to be near and the Atlanta is even more dangerous than it ever was.

• Cool 1

[ABCD3]
Members
132 posts
4,814 battles

Yup the Tex needs improvement on AA.   

As for the Giulio Cesare, boy did it have a weak AA when I was attacked by a swarm of enemy planes.

All ships that have spotter planes should have an option of either spotting or fighter planes, like some do.

[UTWE]
Members
223 posts
2,935 battles

Perhaps it was a mistake with your sector switching or the Ryujo player was very good.

[JEEP]
Beta Testers
742 posts
5,267 battles

Just another example of how AA across the board got nerfed, in a desperate attempt by WG to make 2019 year of the sky cancer.