You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Thanks, WG, for the Rework (and the game as a whole)

41 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
8,183 posts

Many people here have accused me of being a shill because I support WarGaming. I find it ironic that all of these people play the game and post on its forum, or they wouldn't be here to say that. I, for one, really appreciate that they have produced a game that I enjoy playing so much. I also appreciate that, some "saltiness" aside, the WOWS community, both in-game and in the forums, is actually extremely laid back as compared to the communities in other multiplayer games I've played.

Personally, I like the rework and am having fun playing it. Thus far, they seem to have done exactly what they set out to do, which is even the playing field between the average player and the dedicated expert RTS player. Since the rework I've yet to see a CV dominate the game like some did up to last week. I'd feared that perhaps the experts would get on the PTS and gain too much of an advantage over other players but this doesn't seem the case right now. Most everyone seems to be in the same boat as far as CVs are concerned.

I'm not doing extremely well, nor am I doing extremely poorly with the new CVs. However, I do find myself contributing to the team. Mainly, this is through spotting and guarding flanks. Players have quickly learned to group ships to provide overwhelming AA fire but I can still let them know I'm there and make them cautious about entering an area that I'd rather they stay away from. Mainly, I'm having fun, which is what a game not played professionally should be about, right?    

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 13

[PVE]
Members
829 posts
11,153 battles
shill

Dictionary result for shill

/SHil/
informalNorth American
noun
noun: shill; plural noun: shills
  1. 1.
    an accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others.
    • a person who pretends to give an impartial endorsement of something in which they themselves have an interest.
      "a megamillionaire who makes more money as a shill for corporate products than he does for playing basketball"
verb
verb: shill; 3rd person present: shills; past tense: shilled; past participle: shilled; gerund or present participle: shilling
  1. 1.
    act or work as a shill.
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Members
4,724 posts
8,074 battles
2 minutes ago, Rabbitt81 said:
shill

Dictionary result for shill

/SHil/
informalNorth American
noun
noun: shill; plural noun: shills
  1. 1.
    an accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others.
    • a person who pretends to give an impartial endorsement of something in which they themselves have an interest.
      "a megamillionaire who makes more money as a shill for corporate products than he does for playing basketball"
verb
verb: shill; 3rd person present: shills; past tense: shilled; past participle: shilled; gerund or present participle: shilling
  1. 1.
    act or work as a shill.

Why did you post this???

[PVE]
Members
829 posts
11,153 battles
5 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Why did you post this???

The OP said he has been accused of being a shill, I thought to post the definition of it to see if it fits.

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,468 posts
10,544 battles

On record as wanting CVs out of the game...but I did play a few games in my Saipan just to learn from the CV perspective as I will probably never get my wish....and I did find the new CV work more fun than I thought it would be...but it was against bots and no bot CV....racked up decent damage....so have fun (just don't sink me)

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
2,641 posts
7,608 battles
19 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Many people here have accused me of being a shill because I support WarGaming. I find it ironic that all of these people play the game and post on its forum, or they wouldn't be here to say that. I, for one, really appreciate that they have produced a game that I enjoy playing so much. I also appreciate that, some "saltiness" aside, the WOWS community, both in-game and in the forums, is actually extremely laid back as compared to the communities in other multiplayer games I've played.

Personally, I like the rework and am having fun playing it. Thus far, they seem to have done exactly what they set out to do, which is even the playing field between the average player and the dedicated expert RTS player. Since the rework I've yet to see a CV dominate the game like some did up to last week. I'd feared that perhaps the experts would get on the PTS and gain too much of an advantage over other players but this doesn't seem the case right now. Most everyone seems to be in the same boat as far as CVs are concerned.

I'm not doing extremely well, nor am I doing extremely poorly with the new CVs. However, I do find myself contributing to the team. Mainly, this is through spotting and guarding flanks. Players have quickly learned to group ships to provide overwhelming AA fire but I can still let them know I'm there and make them cautious about entering an area that I'd rather they stay away from. Mainly, I'm having fun, which is what a game not played professionally should be about, right?    

I can see why some would think you are a shill. It is far too early to judge how well WG did with the rework. That goes for the doomsday criers as well as those agreeing with you. 

Edited by kgh52

[PSP]
Members
8,183 posts
5 minutes ago, Rabbitt81 said:

The OP said he has been accused of being a shill, I thought to post the definition of it to see if it fits.

All I get from WG is the enjoyment of playing their game. I've designed and built houses and know a bit about drafting. I also used to write database applications so I know how time-consuming coding is (especially the debugging). Think of the time spent getting the ship and plane models correct. Now think of the time spent creating, debugging, and balancing the game. This entails tens of thousands of man-hours. Why shouldn't I be appreciative of a company that has put so much time and effort into such a project?

[PVE]
Members
829 posts
11,153 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

All I get from WG is the enjoyment of playing their game. I've designed and built houses and know a bit about drafting. I also used to write database applications so I know how time-consuming coding is (especially the debugging). Think of the time spent getting the ship and plane models correct. Now think of the time spent creating, debugging, and balancing the game. This entails tens of thousands of man-hours. Why shouldn't I be appreciative of a company that has put so much time and effort into such a project?

Designing, building, coding all activities that are hard work.

Live testing a horrible patch after being warned not to by the player base is not hard work.

It's arrogance.

Arrogance does not deserve a thank you.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
8,183 posts

Right now I'm not so good with CVs but I hope to get better as I learn how to aim. Here, I was about middle on the team. We lost but I am consoled that I was not the worst player by far, nor the worst CV player. Every time I play the new CVs I learn a little more.

shot-19_01.31_20_16.43-0046.thumb.jpg.ad51b721b3488cfa31e9fd3439daba68.jpg

[KNTI2]
[KNTI2]
Members
209 posts
9,674 battles

So far, I like the changes but there is also some problems to hammer out in the future. At least games are no longer one-sided by a strong CV player vs. a weak CV player. Players are a lot more active on the battlefield because of consistent information about the opposing team's direction (less games where the two team go completely opposite direction). Most of the criticism that I've seen are players refusing to change up their tactics and simply conclude their short experience. I can also see how new CVs can be problematic towards DDs since spotting is more common.

Members
292 posts
3,639 battles

Well be interesting to see what happens. Alot of long timers are going to vote with their money for now. See what that triggers..Plus you have social media and YouTubers. 

[HEROS]
Members
1,829 posts
5,855 battles
31 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I also support WG, and do so with my time in game, and my wallet (Xmas crates, premium time, and occasionally some flags).

so far, have not been a fan of CV play, and although I have one, will probably not play it much. I do feel for the good, really good, and unicum CV players, I believe they have been treated a little roughly overall, particularly considering the skill floor involved. I really suck at CVs, and admire those that play well. the player base generally does not treat CV players well in battle,  particularly when they fail to carry a battle, and even when they do carry a battle.

am sad about DD play lately, mostly because I just don't seem to be able to bring up my level of play in them, and don't enjoy the playstyle overall when it comes to being passive. not so enthused about yesterdays results with DDs and CAs. ouch, and yikes. today is better, but have not touched anything but BBs.

as long as I can keep rolling in the BBs, i'll keep playing. part of me cringes when I read that phrase, I never really thought of myself as a BB main. :o)

• Cool 1

Members
183 posts
2,711 battles
45 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Exactly! I had a banner day in my Lion. I just needed to get settled with my build. In the past I suffered at the hands of CV's.....it seems I can defend now. I also had a great day in my Huanghe.  Both of these ships have longer guns now and the dispersion seems reduced. The Lions stealth has been slightly muted but with fire range/power within a hair of the Conqueror it is not noticeable.  With the spotter up and running the Lion is only a few feet from spotting the CV. 

So WOWS I can only thank you for the release . I really needed a change up so this is great. I spent 27 years in the software design business and suffered through some very trying code drops. It is exceedingly difficult to get it right and an enormous amount of thought is required.  ……….Cheers to you and please continue the psycho-technical extravaganza.

• Cool 1

Members
4,724 posts
8,074 battles
13 minutes ago, ColdwaterCowboy_1 said:

Exactly! I had a banner day in my Lion. I just needed to get settled with my build. In the past I suffered at the hands of CV's.....it seems I can defend now. I also had a great day in my Huanghe.  Both of these ships have longer guns now and the dispersion seems reduced. The Lions stealth has been slightly muted but with fire range/power within a hair of the Conqueror it is not noticeable.  With the spotter up and running the Lion is only a few feet from spotting the CV. 

So WOWS I can only thank you for the release . I really needed a change up so this is great. I spent 27 years in the software design business and suffered through some very trying code drops. It is exceedingly difficult to get it right and an enormous amount of thought is required.  ……….Cheers to you and please continue the psycho-technical extravaganza.

Worth your knowledgeable input after reading, after only 1 day, so many panic freak out posts. Plus 1! 

[PVE]
Members
829 posts
11,153 battles
23 minutes ago, ColdwaterCowboy_1 said:

Oh my gawd this rework is sooo great!!! OMGGG11!!!11

A thread about thanking the game devs and sounding like a shill wow, honestly you guys sound like a gaggle of teenage schoolgirls.

Wish there was a barfing captain emoji...

Edited by Rabbitt81

[WOLFG]
Members
4,684 posts
2,642 battles
hat·er

1. a person who greatly dislikes a specified person or thing.
    "a man hater" ·

informal
    • a negative or critical person.

[PVE]
Members
829 posts
11,153 battles
a·pol·o·gist

Dictionary result for apologist

/əˈpäləjəst/
noun
noun: apologist; plural noun: apologists
  1. a person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial.
    "an enthusiastic apologist for fascism in the 1920s"
    synonyms: defender, supporter, upholder, advocate, proponent, exponent, propagandist, apostle, champion, backer, promoter, campaigner, spokesman, spokeswoman, spokesperson, speaker, arguer, enthusiast
    "an apologist for hard-line government policies"
    antonyms: critic
Origin

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,681 posts
12,344 battles

I am getting better at the CV now, rockets are awesome, latest match results, I hope I can do this more reliably as time goes on.

midawy best.png

[RMRGD]
[RMRGD]
Members
366 posts
18,784 battles

I enjoy the rework also.  I disliked the old CVs.   These seemed more balanced.  I do not think they are perfect. But I plan to play and let WG get some stas.   I hope the game continues to grow, as I been here 3 years, and this really has be excited again to play.   

[GT99]
Members
569 posts
7,504 battles
59 minutes ago, Rabbitt81 said:

Designing, building, coding all activities that are hard work.

Live testing a horrible patch after being warned not to by the player base is not hard work.

It's arrogance.

Arrogance does not deserve a thank you.

The only complaint I have is I don't like how my AA sucks now, but I would like to know how this is a horrible patch? Did it break the game? No, people are playing it right now and it runs fine for me. Just because you or I don't like some of the introduced features does not make it a bad patch or upgrade or downgrade or sidegrade or any grade, whatever you want to call it. They are new features that we need to learn to use as they are new. Yeah, it kind of sucks because it is a change from the "norm" we are used to but you know what, the world changes every minute and we adapt to that or do you not venture outside?

Please explain how they are being arrogant. I don't see that. This is something they have wanted to do for a while now and it was coming regardless. Why not enjoy testing the new features and having fun with it. It's new, it won't even be the same two months down the road. Yes, it is pretty much Beta testing. I have been gaming for years and over those years games have pretty much been shoved onto the market in Beta form and it is only getting worse. Look at the mess that is Battlefield V, that is damn dumpster fire right now and it has already rolled out of Beta went gold quite a while ago. This is not a new trend in gaming, this happens all the time from every developer, even AAA titles. The consumer is the Beta tester, the Beta test they do is actually the Alpha, they just call it Beta to swindle the consumers. It's a new era we live in.

[PVE]
Members
829 posts
11,153 battles

This is a trend in game developing, to release half-a s s e d products such as Fallout 76 because the player base will tolerate it.

So yes it is a bad thing to be making a thread saying, "Oh thanks WARGAMING for this half finished and barely tested patch!" because by doing so, you are encouraging more of this behavior.

and to prove it was half finished-they didn't even bother programming bot CVs for co-op-

I guess in a roundabout way I'm trying to help the game but after playing more of it tonight, I'm kind of not really caring anymore.

Basically defending this crap show at this point, unless you are being paid to do it, is a REALLY BAD IDEA.

Edited by Rabbitt81

[PSP]
Members
8,183 posts
59 minutes ago, Rabbitt81 said:

This is a trend in game developing, to release half-a s s e d products such as Fallout 76 because the player base will tolerate it.

So yes it is a bad thing to be making a thread saying, "Oh thanks WARGAMING for this half finished and barely tested patch!" because by doing so, you are encouraging more of this behavior.

and to prove it was half finished-they didn't even bother programming bot CVs for co-op-

I guess in a roundabout way I'm trying to help the game but after playing more of it tonight, I'm kind of not really caring anymore.

Basically defending this crap show at this point, unless you are being paid to do it, is a REALLY BAD IDEA.

From my 12 or so years experience playing multiplayer games, I believe they could work on the patch for years and still people would whine about it when it was released. Once, a group of players in a RTS that I played took over the game and made their own patches. After a couple of years they were still fighting among themselves as to how it should be balanced.

The only minor complaints I have right now is that low tier CVs are really at a disadvantage. A Lexington in a tier X match is pretty much useless as anything but a spotter because of the massive AA. Almost any tier X ship can kill your planes before they even start their final attack run. My suggestion is that all CVs be high tier in the matches they play. This should balance things nicely without having to tweak the AA too much.

Edited by Snargfargle

[PVE]
Members
829 posts
11,153 battles
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

From my 12 or so years of playing multiplayer games, they could work on the patch for years and still people would whine about it when it was released. Once, a group of players in a RTS that I played took over the game and made their own patches. After a couple of years they were still fighting among themselves as to how it should be balanced.

This patch is obviously much worse than any previous patch this game has ever had. Some of the issues such as DDs getting spotted by CV planes 30 seconds from the start of the match should have been noticed in 5 minutes of play testing and corrected.

I feel like the patch was released in this broken form to "teach us a lesson" for not play testing it more.

Edited by Rabbitt81

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,523 posts
4,679 battles
1 hour ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

I am getting better at the CV now, rockets are awesome, latest match results, I hope I can do this more reliably as time goes on.

midawy best.png

why post a screenshot from 1/02/2019?