Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
alexf24

Why do cruisers have lots of fast planes now?

4 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Members
7,119 posts
29,282 battles

Cruisers (e.g. Atago) launches several fast catapult planes for a short time. Why? This makes no sense. .They are not carriers.

Why was there a need to mess with catapult planes, useful for defense but also to spot? They launch in as fast sequence like bats out of hell and they are back in a jiffy. No more long lazy circles.

More fantasy WG? What does this has to do with the CV rework?

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,469 posts
10,550 battles

Havent' noticed that...but haven't played enough 8.0...

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles
20 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Cruisers (e.g. Atago) launches several fast catapult planes for a short time. Why? This makes no sense. .They are not carriers.

Why was there a need to mess with catapult planes, useful for defense but also to spot? They launch in as fast sequence like bats out of hell and they are back in a jiffy. No more long lazy circles.

More fantasy WG? What does this has to do with the CV rework?

While it messes with historical accuracy, I find the new Fighters (note:  they're not even labeled "Catapult Fighters" any more) to be decent when it comes to balancing cruiser play in 0.8.0.

Given that DefAA cannot be up 100% of the time, the Fighters consumable is essential for dealing with strike aircraft whereas the old Catapult Fighter consumable would get shot down by tail gunners even if they weren't actively being hunted down by carrier-based fighters.

Also, since aircraft no longer have the ability to spot torpedoes, I find that unless I'm hugging an island, I really don't miss the old Catapult Fighter. It's just really off-putting to watch 4 seaplanes launch from Aoba's catapult when she only carried 2 reconnaisance seaplanes.

Beta Testers
1,581 posts
8,025 battles
5 minutes ago, WuYixiang said:

While it messes with historical accuracy, I find the new Fighters (note:  they're not even labeled "Catapult Fighters" any more) to be decent when it comes to balancing cruiser play in 0.8.0.

Given that DefAA cannot be up 100% of the time, the Fighters consumable is essential for dealing with strike aircraft whereas the old Catapult Fighter consumable would get shot down by tail gunners even if they weren't actively being hunted down by carrier-based fighters.

Also, since aircraft no longer have the ability to spot torpedoes, I find that unless I'm hugging an island, I really don't miss the old Catapult Fighter. It's just really off-putting to watch 4 seaplanes launch from Aoba's catapult when she only carried 2 reconnaisance seaplanes.

Pretty much in agreement here.  I'd like it if they replaced the animation with a similar one to the CV's fighter ability, where fighters sorta just swoop in from a higher altitude and begin orbiting.

Sign in to follow this