Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Nivier

Yamato vs republique

4 comments in this topic

[77TAF]
Beta Testers
46 posts
1,277 battles

Just curious, been working up the two lines.. getting irritated with switching between the two so trying to focus on only one. 

At the fuso/normandie atm.  The fuso is 'fun' but i'm kinda irritated by the fact I can fire at a broadside BB.. and just get 'overpen' x 12... The normandie like the speed, and the guns are fun, but very.. unreliable?

I'm looking at the very endgame of it.. the yamato is, well, the yamato.. massive guns, massive secondary, it looks 'sexy'.   But the Republique seems like a cross between the yamato and the G. Kurfurst, good secondaries, good guns good range.  Both seem fun, just not sure which i'm 'more' interested in.

Members
809 posts
3,677 battles

I'd say the grind for the Republique is going to be easier, since the Lyon, Richelieu, and Alsace are great ships. This all depends on personal taste however and you might like the Nagato, Amagi and Izumo more.

Yamato has good health pool and very very good guns. Most accurate guns in game, even more accurate with the legendary module, and it can overmatch every other battleship's bow armor giving it a significant advantage. However it's sides are very squishy and easily gets citadels, and is bad for closer range combat. The anti-air is also the worst of all tier 10 battleships.

Republique is fast and the guns turn extremely quickly even with the reload module. The secondaries are comparable to Yamato's, but the anti air is significantly superior. Republique's guns are smaller at 17 inches meaning they cannot overmatch the bow armor of battleships, but they can overmatch 30mm deck armor of cruisers. Republique has a very fast reload, 24 second stock, and with reload modules and adrenaline rush you can get it down to 15 seconds, meaning you have a heavy cruiser's reload but with 17 inch guns. The guns also have a 2.0 sigma and are quite accurate. The gun setup is debatable, however, as only half of your firepower can fire directly forwards. Republique's citadel is harder to hit than Yamato's but in for exchange, the entire ship is covered with 32mm of armor meaning it's very vulnerable to 203 cruisers.

If you enjoy playing a mix of cruisers and battleships, Republique will do you well.

If you love heavy-hitting battleships and like specializing with combat advantages, or for longer range combat, Yamato will be the better choice.

[RKLES]
Members
8,959 posts
10,828 battles
1 hour ago, Nivier said:

Just curious, been working up the two lines.. getting irritated with switching between the two so trying to focus on only one. 

At the fuso/normandie atm.  The fuso is 'fun' but i'm kinda irritated by the fact I can fire at a broadside BB.. and just get 'overpen' x 12... The normandie like the speed, and the guns are fun, but very.. unreliable?

I'm looking at the very endgame of it.. the yamato is, well, the yamato.. massive guns, massive secondary, it looks 'sexy'.   But the Republique seems like a cross between the yamato and the G. Kurfurst, good secondaries, good guns good range.  Both seem fun, just not sure which i'm 'more' interested in.

Normandie and Lyon are where the French being reliable innbattle ended for me at least. Tiers 8-10 were ok, but not as good as some of the other BBs of other nations. Japanese BBs onnthe other hand have proven to be good, but do require knowing how to play them. So to compare Yamato and Republique... Yamato gets 9 main guns that hit harder compared to Republique’s 8 Guns. Yamato can be citadeked by a few weak spots, but so can Republique.  Although rest of Yamato is encased with good armor, including deck and turret armor. Republique I have seen shredded by cruiser AP if the cruiser can get enough shots in before the Republique’s responds, and Republique has always seemed to be a lot easy to set fires on its decks compared to Yamato.

Now Republique does have the longer ranged secondary guns, better AA, and better speed.

[UN1]
Members
565 posts
2,065 battles

The Yamato is maximum heavy artillery.  I don't have it, but I do have the Musashi, and it's my top performing ship.  It just smashes.  Everything you hit is just glorious penetration damage.  It's nutty.

The Republique actually has better penetration than the Yamato out until 15km, but as one mentioned above, you can't overmatch 32mm bow armor on battleships.  You are, however, the only ship that can overmatch 30mm armor found on heavy cruisers (besides the Yamato).  The nice thing about the Republique is that you can fit it out as a pure defensive ship, go full secondaries, or emphasize your AA; all three are perfectly viable and very strong for randoms.  The French line itself is fun and very well designed.  Just expect to have lower caliber artillery until, well, the Republique.

My favorite ship in the line so far was, surprisingly, the Richelieu.  Definitely wasn't expecting that, but it's a really solid ship.

Sign in to follow this