You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Landing_Skipper

Manual AA versus AFT

12 comments in this topic

[-GPS-]
Members
2,741 posts
28,550 battles

It took me a bit to realize that AFT doesn’t extend AA range anymore. Instead it’s a 15% boost to DPS for medium and long range AA. 

Manual AA reduces AA sector switch time by 20% and boosts amount of switch by 20%. 

I don’t think I’ve ever had a build on any ship with both AFT and Manual AA.  Never hated CVs quite that much. So how the heck do you choose between AFT and Manual AA?  Are there some ships where neither is worth bothering with? (Like DDs with Def AA maybe?)

[PVE]
Members
14,980 posts
9,575 battles
12 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

It took me a bit to realize that AFT doesn’t extend AA range anymore. Instead it’s a 15% boost to DPS for medium and long range AA. 

Manual AA reduces AA sector switch time by 20% and boosts amount of switch by 20%. 

I don’t think I’ve ever had a build on any ship with both AFT and Manual AA.  Never hated CVs quite that much. So how the heck do you choose between AFT and Manual AA?  Are there some ships where neither is worth bothering with? (Like DDs with Def AA maybe?)

I have enough trouble with remembering to click on planes when things get busy, so I may very well not swap sectors. If the penalty was not as big, I might do that as flying to the other side if pretty fast and the ship needs to swap fast if I'm going to do that. Most of my Cmdrs are 16 or less, so I have time to decide on AFT and MFCAA.

Members
849 posts
14,844 battles

General consensus seems to be AFT isn't worth the 4 points (unless you're using it for main battery or secondaries) and MFAA is only really good on DDs where they have the 150/50 sector focus to begin with.

• Cool 1

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,906 posts
4,170 battles

Aft is much better now manual is a waste of 4 points atm.

[DRACS]
Members
4,417 posts

It's my understanding that sector switching only affects continuous damage and not flak damage. This makes me a bit less enthused unless using a ship with a huge number of short range mounts since the medium and long range continuous damage is a bit anemic.

But on the other hand, flak is so murderous right now, AFT is not really that needed since even a single flak hit can destroy or severely weaken an entire squad.

But overall, I'd say AFT is pretty good for battleships. Due to the fact that they have a TON of flak producing AA mounts, the odds of an enemy plane hitting that flak is pretty high. Also, it still affects secondary gun range which on many BBs is a really good thing. Basically, the more flak clouds you can produce, the better AFT is. Because if you have so few guns that your flak clouds are too few to reliably hit a good player, it's a total waste. It really looks like this skill was made for BB players more than anyone else.

[WDS]
Members
1,630 posts
8,403 battles
19 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I have enough trouble with remembering to click on planes when things get busy, so I may very well not swap sectors. If the penalty was not as big, I might do that as flying to the other side if pretty fast and the ship needs to swap fast if I'm going to do that. Most of my Cmdrs are 16 or less, so I have time to decide on AFT and MFCAA.

I think manual is now a waste of 4 points . Also Kizarvexis all you have to do is press one button the sectors come up on the screen and u just click the side you want . I thought the same as you but it becomes second nature after 3 games easy and 25% boost works great so you don't really need manual AA .

Edited by clammboy

[PVE]
Members
14,980 posts
9,575 battles
15 minutes ago, clammboy said:

I think manual is now a waste of 4 points . Also Kizarvexis all you have to do is press one button the sectors come up on the screen and u just click the side you want . I thought the same as you but it becomes second nature after 3 games easy and 25% boost works great so you don't really need manual AA .

Manual AA skill, reduces the sector switch time by -20% and boosts the priority sector by 20%. If it boosted both sectors, then I would take it. But since it only boosts the priority sector, leaving the other weak, I may not. So a 5 sec swap is 4 sec and a +25% boost is +45%. A 10 sec swap is 8 sec, a 20 sec swap would be 16 sec, and a +30% boost would become +50%. I had enough trouble remembering to click on a plane, that clicking and selecting a sector when I'm busy fighting other ships would probably be forgotten like clicking on a plane. I would also forget and leave it running on one side and you have to manually change it back. Until I get a lot more comfortable, I'll probably just leave the sectors alone. I do have until early morning Feb 8th to decide and I only have a few ships with MCFAA anyways.

[WDS]
Members
1,630 posts
8,403 battles
Just now, Kizarvexis said:

Manual AA skill, reduces the sector switch time by -20% and boosts the priority sector by 20%. If it boosted both sectors, then I would take it. But since it only boosts the priority sector, leaving the other weak, I may not. So a 5 sec swap is 4 sec and a +25% boost is +45%. A 10 sec swap is 8 sec, a 20 sec swap would be 16 sec, and a +30% boost would become +50%. I had enough trouble remembering to click on a plane, that clicking and selecting a sector when I'm busy fighting other ships would probably be forgotten like clicking on a plane. I would also forget and leave it running on one side and you have to manually change it back. Until I get a lot more comfortable, I'll probably just leave the sectors alone. I do have until early morning Feb 8th to decide and I only have a few ships with MCFAA anyways.

OK I was just trying to point out how easy it is and its actually fun to do and watch I'm not good and it became second nature to me in 3 games  .

But you need to be comfortable so give it a try as soon as you can because it's "easy peezy" .

Members
1,152 posts
8,031 battles

MAA seems very over priced now, 20% buff to continuous doesn't mean much when most ships have low continuous damage. I think the skill needs to either be buffed a lot or dropped down to a 2 point skill.

Members
46 posts
4,415 battles

Regarding Manual AA, I'm obviously missing something in how it functions. I am not able to "select" incoming planes like I used to. Is that a requirement for the skill now, and if so is anyone else having difficulty selecting planes? I'm using CTRL to free the mouse, then clicking on the planes, but no luck

Members
487 posts
6,095 battles
31 minutes ago, Vortex__ said:

Regarding Manual AA, I'm obviously missing something in how it functions. I am not able to "select" incoming planes like I used to. Is that a requirement for the skill now, and if so is anyone else having difficulty selecting planes? I'm using CTRL to free the mouse, then clicking on the planes, but no luck

You no longer click on the planes, even with MFCAA.  Now you can just "reinforce" your AA on one side or another.  Hold down ~ and then use mouse to select which side you want to reinforce (at the cost of decreasing AA on the other side).  MFCAA now just gives you faster switching sides and slight extra boost to the AA on the selected side.

• Cool 1

Members
46 posts
4,415 battles
1 hour ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

You no longer click on the planes, even with MFCAA.  Now you can just "reinforce" your AA on one side or another.  Hold down ~ and then use mouse to select which side you want to reinforce (at the cost of decreasing AA on the other side).  MFCAA now just gives you faster switching sides and slight extra boost to the AA on the selected side.

Aha, ok.! Thanks!

Edited by Vortex__