You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DudeWhereIsMyTank

Why my CV always targets DDs now

10 comments in this topic

[-S-R-]
Alpha Tester
804 posts
8,481 battles

I am not a CV player, but I decided to give them a try again...

When I play CVs now I target DDs now almost exclusively until very end of the game.
Here are my reasons to attack DDs:

1. Before 8.0 Targeting DDs was hard with bombs and torps. Rockets make it easy.
  2. AA is too strong at the beginning of the game. BBs, CA/CLs are shooting down too many planes.
  3. DDs are the only ships that don't blow my planes out of the sky at the beginning of the game.
  4. My torpedoes and bombs cause very little damage to BBs. (What 3K per torpedo?). Attacking BBs/CAs does not cause significant damage.
  5. Attacking DDs with rockets does produce significant damage to DD. 2000 damage to BB is nothing, 2000 damage to DD is significant.
  6. BBs and CAs often travel together and have overlapping fields of AA fire.
  7. DDs are often ahead and far a way from friendly AA.
  8. My CV cannot influence game by attacking BBs/CAs at the beginning of the game. By spotting DD I can get damage it significantly and other players can finish it off because it is spotted.
  9. At the end of the game I do attack BBs and CAs. Lots of their AA is gone and ships are often far apart.

Simply put:

The easiest way to get a win in CV is to attack DDs first!

Please don't blame me for trying to get a win. I apologize to DD players.

WG has created this problem. Attacking BBs/CAs is just not worth it (until later in the game).

• Cool 2

[JSOC]
Members
43 posts
9,798 battles

Nah I don't blame you. Basically the CV re-work has basically demolished the old way to play DD's now. Basically stealth build DD's, especially Japanese torp DD's have been extremely nerfed by the new CV play since they are now basically perma spotted and can't make any torp runs that won't be spotted. And when the DD's are spotted everyone shoots at them.

[TARK]
Members
245 posts
2,720 battles

Gosh I with we could get coordinated matches with 4 dd's on each team, taking turns turning PINK to sink the friendly cvs on their own teams.  Then we could get back to actually playing a game about BOATS.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Members
14 posts
7,796 battles

I have been in 20 games and I agree with the OP. I am strictly going for DDs now as well.

I feel that the CV change is a big mistake, because the "old" CVs greatly affected the game, and everyone had to play different (DDs careful of being spotted by planes, CAs protecting BBs/DDs with AA, and BBs taking out CAs to remove AA strength). Now, the game is mostly the same as a normal game, except DDs are not only spotted by planes, but now also being targeted and destroyed directly by CVs. Why? Because early game the AA is so much stronger, there's no reason to go for CA or BB at all. Just kill the DDs. The CAs no longer need to protect the BBs because a carrier cannot take half a yamato's life away with a good drop.

So CV games now are very similar to non-CV games, and strategy/gameplay only changes a little. This makes for more boring games and only affects DDs greatly.

Edited by ZOMGFUSIONFRENZY
  • Cool 1

Members
2,939 posts
3,738 battles

I mean, it was a bit obvious this was going to happen. 

Dodging flak is hard work (insofar as you have to actually actively try to do it AND still land your ordnance when you could be going for easier targets); shooting rockets at DDs, which are generally alone and have little AA themselves, is EZ-mode for CVs. 

So given the choice, are most CV players going to develop their flak dodging skills, or are they going to farm easy damage? Given the WoWs player base, the answer is and always was going to be: hunt the DDs.

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
1 hour ago, DudeWhereIsMyTank said:

The easiest way to get a win in CV is to attack DDs first!

My Sims disagrees with you. I ran Sims in 5 battles yesterday and survived 4 of them despite almost constant attention by CV rocket fighters. (I was deleted early  in the 5th battle in a gun duel with a Kidd) I also succeeded in capping a few times. In one battle I downed 28 planes and the lowest number of flies swatted in a battle that day was 13. (DFAA FTW!) :cap_rambo: There was a Kidd on the Red Team in one of those battles that downed over 30 planes. :Smile_honoring:

Sims is my present DD of choice so send those chickens my way. If I cant cap and spot as much as I used to I'm at least contributing by drawing the chickens away from other botes on my team.

Edited by ReddNekk

[-BRS-]
Members
2,624 posts
16,030 battles
4 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

My Sims disagrees with you. I ran Sims in 5 battles yesterday and survived 4 of them despite almost constant attention by CV rocket fighters. (I was deleted early  in the 5th battle in a gun duel with a Kidd) I also succeeded in capping a few times. In one battle I downed 28 planes and the lowest number of flies swatted in a battle that day was 13. (DFAA FTW!) :cap_rambo: There was a Kidd on the Red Team in one of those battles that downed over 30 planes. :Smile_honoring:

Sims is my present DD of choice so send those chickens my way. If I cant cap and spot as much as I used to I'm at least contributing by drawing the chickens away from other botes on my team.

So what about all the rest of the players and their DDs they enjoy playing?

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
6 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

I hear ya pard. I'm sure that it is hard on most of them. I enjoy playing Kamikaze and T-61 but I'm going to wait until things settle down before I try them out in this new meta.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,701 posts
6 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

I'm just not playing in randoms anymore. The name of the game is now last past the 5 minute mark.

I don't blame CV jocks  they're playing it smart. But I'm done until vision mechanics get sorted

[WOLF6]
Members
877 posts
3,428 battles

Kinda true. The new cap bullies are the the strong AA DDs. I saw a Kidd in a match at tier 10 with no CVs in it. I think the Kidd was sad.

Edited by Sumseaman