Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grflrgl

Change of Subjects: Ranked

18 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
597 posts

Does anyone have any ideas on how to best approach the Arms Race thing? I only played one game of it the first time around, and realized it wasn't my cup of tea. But now, if you want to play ranked, you don't have much choice but to figure it out.

Every team I'm on seems confused as to how to proceed, and I absolutely include myself in that category. There isn't even any conversation about strategy or planning in the combox. Ships just start milling about and shooting at whatever presents itself. DDs race to the PacMan apples, then get blasted right after the gobble them up. The first DD down seems to guarantee a loss for their side.

Anybody have any successful strategies they've tried?

• Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
702 posts
6,129 battles
5 minutes ago, Grflrgl said:

Does anyone have any ideas on how to best approach the Arms Race thing? I only played one game of it the first time around, and realized it wasn't my cup of tea. But now, if you want to play ranked, you don't have much choice but to figure it out.

Every team I'm on seems confused as to how to proceed, and I absolutely include myself in that category. There isn't even any conversation about strategy or planning in the combox. Ships just start milling about and shooting at whatever presents itself. DDs race to the PacMan apples, then get blasted right after the gobble them up. The first DD down seems to guarantee a loss for their side.

Anybody have any successful strategies they've tried?

I haven't tried yet , but I do wish WG would drop the Mario brothers powerup crap , seems they're really gearing up for an influx of brats with the console play .

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,967 posts
11,303 battles

Ranked is a soul crushing nightmare. 

I hope to get some games in tomorrow. 

Lol GIF

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[INTEL]
Members
10,002 posts
28,121 battles

Ranked is great this season. Playing Yugumo only so far. Not much radar. No Sky Artillery. Lots of flowing action because the constant shifting of caps in Arms Race mode means you have to constantly move. Plenty of torp action, DD vs DD knife fighting, capping, spotting. Its the way WOWs should be.

Great to just be able to play the game and avoid the stupidities of Randoms.

• Cool 2

[BIG-7]
Beta Testers
173 posts
7,985 battles

I am the opposite.  Not really enjoying.  There doesnt seem to be any strategy.  No caps to try to win.  Just a free for all shoot em up.  I prefer some team strategic work.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
10,343 posts
19,649 battles

All I know is I accidentally queued into a battle, (bloody exterior button...) met someone I usually butt heads with here in the forums, followed his example and we won.

Not as bad as I thought, but that was just one game.

[DENY]
Members
675 posts
7,181 battles

To win you need to assume that all the team is potato and carry them to victory ,. I carried this one hard , the only reason we won with less ship is we were in the middle cap

shot-19.01.31_15.14.45-0442.jpg

[UEFN]
Members
849 posts
15,947 battles

Ranked, is where you escape from one nightmare (CV Rework) to another nightmare (potato infestation). 

Pick your poison.  LOL

[SQUAD]
[SQUAD]
Members
8,120 posts
8,404 battles

I've only played Black so far, and except for the Kitakaze that shows up every couple of rounds, it's going quite well. Black is a night mare to play against, unless you're in Kita, even facing another Black hasn't been an issue for me. 7-1 so far, from 0 star 11 to 0 star 9.

Arms race is quite simple: Focus on and capture the areas of the map it tells you to, they are buffs for your team. Flanking is a bad idea, as most buffs are near the center and so is the cap that shows up later in the match. Flanking teams have lost every round I've been in today, including my one loss.

This isn't randoms, or normal Ranked, the usual rules don't apply. Bringing BB's is, well, not the best option, tbh, unless it's MO with radar, JB is doing ok, but other than that, everything is just food for my Ranked stats. Jutland, Kita, and Black are by far the best performing DDs I've seen so far.

However, all that said, it's day 1 of the season, the meta hasn't even begun to form or settle. I'm sure tings will change.

My Black won't, though.

[SQUAD]
[SQUAD]
Members
8,120 posts
8,404 battles
9 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

All I know is I accidentally queued into a battle, (bloody exterior button...) met someone I usually butt heads with here in the forums, followed his example and we won.

Not as bad as I thought, but that was just one game.

You're quite welcome. :D

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
10,343 posts
19,649 battles
9 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

You're quite welcome. :D

Thank you!

(Couldn’t remember how your handle was spelled, and at work, so couldn’t leisurely search for it like I would at home.)

• Funny 1

[OBSO]
Members
9 posts
3,318 battles

4 ranked games in so far and not a win yet...grflrg is right. There is no thought or plan as to how to win this when your playing. No one is communicating. My only tier 9 is a DD and I don't last very long. It's frustrating...I like your idea Krimson...maybe I'll try it and see the rest of the team cooperates.

[WOLFB]
Members
597 posts
16 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

I've only played Black so far, and except for the Kitakaze that shows up every couple of rounds, it's going quite well. Black is a night mare to play against, unless you're in Kita, even facing another Black hasn't been an issue for me. 7-1 so far, from 0 star 11 to 0 star 9.

Arms race is quite simple: Focus on and capture the areas of the map it tells you to, they are buffs for your team. Flanking is a bad idea, as most buffs are near the center and so is the cap that shows up later in the match. Flanking teams have lost every round I've been in today, including my one loss.

This isn't randoms, or normal Ranked, the usual rules don't apply. Bringing BB's is, well, not the best option, tbh, unless it's MO with radar, JB is doing ok, but other than that, everything is just food for my Ranked stats. Jutland, Kita, and Black are by far the best performing DDs I've seen so far.

However, all that said, it's day 1 of the season, the meta hasn't even begun to form or settle. I'm sure tings will change.

My Black won't, though.

I don't have Black, but I have killed a couple of them....and out run their torps. :Smile_Default:

I just re-speced my Kitakaze and Jutland. I've had decent success with both, but my progress has still been more downward than upward. I've also had some success with Buffalo.

You're right about the BBs. I re-bought the Lion to try that out. One and done, and re-sold her to the scrapyard. 

[TF-60]
Members
331 posts
9,473 battles

I had my only win in the only game I used Musashi; 150k damage 3 kills and high caliber.

lost 2 in Black, and one in fletcher before that

[WOLFC]
Members
1,001 posts
2,445 battles

From my experience (im rank 10 right now). Teams that stay together and work together win the match. If you get even 1 BB or DD doing their own thing you will get overmatched damage output wise by teams that stick together. I have also seen alot of CA players go way to far forward at beginning of match and get blapped hard. Mainly Neptune players. Communicate in chat and support each other.

also if you see a dd and you have a shot (regardless of what your playing) take a shot

• Cool 2

[WOLFB]
Members
597 posts
7 hours ago, Legio_X_ said:

From my experience (im rank 10 right now). Teams that stay together and work together win the match. If you get even 1 BB or DD doing their own thing you will get overmatched damage output wise by teams that stick together. I have also seen alot of CA players go way to far forward at beginning of match and get blapped hard. Mainly Neptune players. Communicate in chat and support each other.

also if you see a dd and you have a shot (regardless of what your playing) take a shot

I tried to tell my last team to stay together and focus. They collectively dumped so much salt on me that you'd think I'd been caught with their wives in a lusty embrace. They proceeded to get cut down like so many pigs in an assembly line slaughterhouse.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,001 posts
2,445 battles
1 minute ago, Grflrgl said:

I tried to tell my last team to stay together and focus. They collectively dumped so much salt on me that you'd think I'd been caught with their wives in a lusty embrace. They proceeded to get cut down like so many pigs in an assembly line slaughterhouse.

Yeah you can tell the potato players right away. They go off and do their own thing and get blapped hard.

im still trying to figure out why people are playing the Russian DM in rank. About 99% of all players I see sailing that ship in rank gets blapped within the first 5min. I have seen only one player survive with it up until end of match.

Sign in to follow this