You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Burnsy

CV Tips and Tricks Thread

21 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
2,048 posts

We all know about the general unhappiness of the new CV situation.  Some like it , many do not.  Let's put all that aside in this thread and talk about how to do well in them.  I sure know I could use some help and I bet others can too.

Are you really good at dropping bombs?  Land more torps than you miss?  Call yourself the rocket man?

Share your secrets and skill in here!  Type it out, link a good video guide or draw us up something in MS paint, dealers choice! 

How do you do well in the new CVs?

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,029 posts
11,346 battles

Still learning.

One thing to consider is island blocking. Use islands to block your approach on an attack run.

When avoiding flack don't just turn but also change speed. 

Preserve your planes don't just charge high tier AA until you have too. Having half full squadrons in the late game is a drag. 

Pay attention to the mini map do not ignore your CV.

Sometimes just spotting is the best thing you can do for your team.

[RLGN]
Members
10,384 posts
19,666 battles

Rockets were easy.

Everything else is shades of ‘I can’t manual attack worth a flip!’ In RTS trauma, so I’m beating my head against the wall in Co-op, learning to use the controls by main force, just like I did with RTS.

4 minutes ago, paradat said:

Sometimes just spotting is the best thing you can do for your team.

Not sure if altitude has any effect, just know I flew up over a mountain in one game an basically spotted the whole Red team at once.

[CRUEL]
[CRUEL]
Members
175 posts
18,527 battles

Has anyone seen a video on captain builds for the new CVs? I have been using the training room to get the hang on attacks with the different types of planes they each have a different approach. I for one like the new attack controls better I could never really get the hang of the old style and thank god strafing is gone.  

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
2,048 posts

I was just watching a stream from Notser and someone asked about flak.  He said he could see how it would be a problem for many players but he has "figured out how to dodge it completely".  He then didn't go one to elaborate on that.  Anyone have any tips on dodging flak?

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,228 posts
14,300 battles
1 hour ago, Burnsy said:

I was just watching a stream from Notser and someone asked about flak.  He said he could see how it would be a problem for many players but he has "figured out how to dodge it completely".  He then didn't go one to elaborate on that.  Anyone have any tips on dodging flak?

Members
491 posts
6,140 battles
1 hour ago, CaptinKen said:

Has anyone seen a video on captain builds for the new CVs?

It seems fairly straightforward.  You have 3 choices for Tier 1 skill, but probably Air Supremacy is the one you want first to replenish your squadrons faster. 

At Tier 2 the only aircraft choice is Improved Engines.

At Tier 3 the only aircraft choice is Aircraft Armor.

At Tier 4 the obvious one for aircraft is Sight Stabilization.

After you have a 10-point commander you can add additional 1-point skills Improved Engine Boost and Last Gasp.  Once you get above 12-points you can start picking general ship skills like BFT (3) or try out having RL (4) on your planes to really mess with DDs trying to avoid you.

Maybe someone who has played the 0.8.0 CVs a lot can comment more about the comparison between those CV-focused 1-point skills.  Given the recommendation of sending your squad home before you get down to the last attack flight, I wonder if Last Gasp is really worth much of anything.  It seems as though, just as with the RTS carriers, you really want an 11-point commander for CVs even in 0.8.0.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
296 posts
1 hour ago, Burnsy said:

I'm afraid when he said he's figured out how to dodge it completely, he was most likely feeding you a line of bovine excrement. Notser is a DD main. He's always been a DD main, he will always be a DD main. That statement was to try and handwaive off an actual legitimate question and concern. It's impossible to dodge flak clouds completely. They WILL hit you. They WILL wreck your squadrons. And they often times WILL one shot one or more of your planes right out of the gate.

EVERYONE is clumping up together and stacking AA bubbles to the point where the flak is so bad, I can barely see the target sometimes when I'm going in for a torpedo run.

And if you're a tier 8 CV facing off against the flooding torrent of tier 10 AA, well.... good luck and hope your team can carry you to a win. Cause you aren't going to be doing anything but fly around impotently for 15+ minutes and maybe make a few rocket passes at DDs.

[PVE]
Members
14,981 posts
9,575 battles
11 minutes ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

It seems fairly straightforward.  You have 3 choices for Tier 1 skill, but probably Air Supremacy is the one you want first to replenish your squadrons faster. 

After you have a 10-point commander you can add additional 1-point skills Improved Engine Boost and Last Gasp.  Once you get above 12-points you can start picking general ship skills like BFT (3) or try out having RL (4) on your planes to really mess with DDs trying to avoid you.

Maybe someone who has played the 0.8.0 CVs a lot can comment more about the comparison between those CV-focused 1-point skills.  Given the recommendation of sending your squad home before you get down to the last attack flight, I wonder if Last Gasp is really worth much of anything.  It seems as though, just as with the RTS carriers, you really want an 11-point commander for CVs even in 0.8.0.

I was thinking Improved Engine Boost (IEB) to get 10% more boost time. There is the slot 2 Aircraft Engines Mod 1 to boost it another 10%.

I agree that the best 2nd skill is Improved Engines (IE)

I'm split on Survivability Expert (SE) or Aircraft Armor (Arm) for the third skill. SE boosts the planes HP and Arm lowers the continuous AA damage by 10%. I think take one at the 3rd skill and the other as the 5th skill at 13 points.

Sight Stabilization (SS) as the 4th skill is the best one as you want to spend as little time aiming as you can. Take this as your 10th point and then go back for other skillls.

I'm thinking CE for the 6th skill at 17 points and then a 2 pt skill or Air Superiority (AS) for the squadron reload and  Last Gasp (LG) as you don't need PT.

[TARK]
Members
2,380 posts
1,277 battles
19 minutes ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

Survivability expert gives extra health for your planes...

Demolition expert gives extra fire chance for your HE bombs.

Torpedo acceleration makes your air dropped torps faster... 

Radio Position Finding can be applied to planes...

Edited by Daniel_Allan_Clark

[KAPPA]
Members
722 posts
5,153 battles
5 minutes ago, X01_ISAAC_7 said:

I'm afraid when he said he's figured out how to dodge it completely, he was most likely feeding you a line of bovine excrement. It's impossible to dodge flak clouds completely. They WILL hit you. They WILL wreck your squadrons. And they often times WILL one shot one or more of your planes right out of the gate.

EVERYONE is clumping up together and stacking AA bubbles to the point where the flak is so bad, I can barely see the target sometimes when I'm going in for a torpedo run.

The only way I've found to "dodge flak completely" (and actually be playing a CV) is if you are playing one of the T4 CVs and get a bunch of T3 ships with 0 AA. That happened once so far and I was actually able to influence the game in the same way I can in a BB. I think Notser might be pulling someone's leg. I'm getting better, certainly better than I was at the old CV system, but that's like saying Fujin's AA is better than Mikasa's AA. Shokaku is quite the uphill battle so far and while I've managed a decent or near decent damage total in several games, it is such a struggle and because I'm a co-op player, I'm hemorrhaging credits because of how expensive planes are to lose. Usually once every game, I'll have most or all of a squadron just vanish in a random 'in my face' flak burst, despite any attempt to dodge. Best I can do most games is 20-30k, good games are 50-60k and my best so far is about 120k in a loss. This is not a sustainable system at the moment, but the potential is there if they can get AA balanced just right and maybe a bit more damage from CV dropped weapons.

Members
491 posts
6,140 battles
3 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Survivability expert gives extra health for your planes...

Demolition expert gives extra fire chance for your HE bombs.

Torpedo acceleration makes your air dropped torps faster... 

Radio Position Finding can be applied to planes...

Would you really want to take TA instead of Improved Engines?  Maybe the planes are fast enough already?

Would you really want to take DE for slight bomb and even slighter rocket fire chance increase?  It seems a better skill to go with fast spamming HE CL/DD instead.  Now the comparison of SE vs Aircraft Armor is a good one.  I suppose we would need to crunch numbers to see which gives greater plane survivability.  Though SE does also give the CV itself some extra HP, so there is that.

I did mention Radio Location.

Beta Testers
296 posts
4 minutes ago, CaptHarlock_222 said:

The only way I've found to "dodge flak completely" (and actually be playing a CV) is if you are playing one of the T4 CVs and get a bunch of T3 ships with 0 AA. That happened once so far and I was actually able to influence the game in the same way I can in a BB. I think Notser might be pulling someone's leg. I'm getting better, certainly better than I was at the old CV system, but that's like saying Fujin's AA is better than Mikasa's AA. Shokaku is quite the uphill battle so far and while I've managed a decent or near decent damage total in several games, it is such a struggle and because I'm a co-op player, I'm hemorrhaging credits because of how expensive planes are to lose. Usually once every game, I'll have most or all of a squadron just vanish in a random 'in my face' flak burst, despite any attempt to dodge. Best I can do most games is 20-30k, good games are 50-60k and my best so far is about 120k in a loss. This is not a sustainable system at the moment, but the potential is there if they can get AA balanced just right and maybe a bit more damage from CV dropped weapons.

Yeah. I had to go back and re-edit my comment, but it's essentially just an elaboration.

I've yet to win a single match in my Lexington. Haven't tried Shoukaku. All the teams I face, the only valid targets I have that I can attack are destroyers because they're out of the massive avalanche of flak throwers that comprises the woosters, des memes, montanas, and republiques on the enemy team that all facehug each other and the nearest island.

[TARK]
Members
2,380 posts
1,277 battles
6 minutes ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

Would you really want to take TA instead of Improved Engines?  Maybe the planes are fast enough already?

Would you really want to take DE for slight bomb and even slighter rocket fire chance increase?  It seems a better skill to go with fast spamming HE CL/DD instead.  Now the comparison of SE vs Aircraft Armor is a good one.  I suppose we would need to crunch numbers to see which gives greater plane survivability.  Though SE does also give the CV itself some extra HP, so there is that.

I did mention Radio Location.

USN torps are 35 knots...with torp acceleration, that's 42 knots.

I value the ability to hit over speed. I'll have to do some testing though...because I might prefer faster DBs.

It's a choice.

IMO, armor is better than hit points.

Members
491 posts
6,140 battles
6 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

USN torps are 35 knots...with torp acceleration, that's 42 knots.

Unless they have changed it, TA gives +5 knots, not +20% speed.  You lose 20% range, but will go to 40 knots.

[TARK]
Members
2,380 posts
1,277 battles
2 minutes ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

Unless they have changed it, TA gives +5 knots, not +20% speed.  You lose 20% range, but will go to 40 knots.

Still better than 35.

Thanks for correcting it. :)

[LHG]
Members
1,523 posts
6,097 battles

IMO USN TBs need torpedo acceleration. In RTS CVs it was so that they had a chance of hitting destroyers. In this version it's so that they can hit anything at all without giving a widescreen monitor's worth of lead. Improved engines can be taken at 12 or 13.

IJN CVs might not need it.

[KAPPA]
Members
722 posts
5,153 battles

TA is on my skills shopping list for Shokaku right now if that tells you anything although I did take the aircraft armor first, it's helped a bit, but mostly only vs lower tier AA, go figure. Sure I can get hits, but for some targets the lead is ridiculous, I shudder at the thought of what you have to do in a US based on what was said here. I said it before (possibly in another thread) the torp planes need a lead indicator of some sort if our torps are going to be so few in a drop and/or so darn slow.

I've had a battle or two tonight where (based on the what the enemy team had) I decided to skip the planes and try secondaries/ramming because there was nothing I had a snowball's chance to even be able to attack. I've even gone so far as to wonder if we could turn the CVs into battlecruisers given that a few of them are converted battlecruisers (or battleships in Kaga's case), they'd certainly be more combat effective at this rate. Of course that could just be the frustration from facing the T10 wall of flak or the roughly 2 million credits I burned in combat losses 'testing' this rework talking.

Edited by CaptHarlock_222

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
2,048 posts
16 hours ago, Edgecase said:

Well that might be very useful, going to try this out, thank you.