Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Anonymous50

8.0 Observation - Pace of Game Changed

10 comments in this topic

[WOLFC]
Members
1,042 posts
6,160 battles

Lots of strong reactions in here.   As part of this, I'm wondering if the pace of the game has changed and people are reacting to that change of pace.

Here me out for a moment:  this isn't a lament. It's an Observation

Pre 8.0

At the beginning of the game, we got into a battle and you had about a minute to say something witty or just the "Fair Winds" thing.

You mentally watched where everybody was going and had a bit of time to adjust if all your teammates were going one way.

Maybe 1 minute in, the first spotting occurred and people started to settle in to do battle.

There was a certain amount of cerebralness, so to speak, to that process.    You could plan a bit more, think things through a bit and work out the choices.  Time in this game has to be spent wisely and the more time you have to craft a move or a response, the better prepared you are.

We look around see where we are and press w  and then maybe a or d and maybe adjust the mini map if we don't need something and within 30 seconds if not sooner,  planes are starting to spot teammates or you.    The reactions start.    People start the WASD dance. Flak goes up, shells start to fly,  torps or other ordinance start to drop,  the mini map gets laser focused upon.  And we settle into battle like we always have..... but its all a bit more reactive as the inputs are less "that one ship that just got spotted" then "whatever is around me firing away and oh my gosh the mini map just blew up with a  lot of red - now what?".  The pace is almost WoT like where the average battle is 5 minutes.   Bad responses to situations are punished quicker & with more force.

It's not that I don't enjoy the frenetic aspect of this game now.  It's fun once you recognise that's the current meta. And it's not like I want that time at the beginning to be the equivalent of the Wile Coyote saying hello to the Sheepdog from the old Loony Tunes shows.

It's just a different pace - a lot more focused and reactive to what is going on quickly & I can see why some people would just not be  happy with the new pace of WoW.  

• Cool 1

[-BUI-]
Members
1,260 posts
3,170 battles

Right now, anyone that pushes up is immediately pushed for it, causing everyone to just sorta sick at the back of the map in a cluster trying to protect themselves from the infinite planes.   

Its boring beyond belief and WAY worse than pre-0.8.0.     I doubt we'll see many games without a CV in them for a LONG time, which means this is how its going to be for awhile.    Most DDs are unplayable and cannot spot or even get into Torp range without taking fire from a CV the entire time.    

Getting sunk by two CVs while using AA ships with AA builds was enough for me, I'm done with all normal surface ships until something HUGE changes, in the mean time, I'll screw around in a Lexington until I unlock the Midway, then that, and make everyone's else life hell until the matchmaker stops finding games (due to everyone leaving).

Members
463 posts
9,105 battles

I noticed I was essentially permaspotted all match in my 5.4 km surface detection DD by the constant stream of planes 

• Cool 1

[RE]
[RE]
Members
81 posts
2,714 battles
6 minutes ago, Visidious said:

I noticed I was essentially permaspotted all match in my 5.4 km surface detection DD by the constant stream of planes 

I found turning off my AA at the beginning of the battle kept me from getting spotted early. Once the planes had gotten closer I would pop it on. Maybe I was just lucky yesterday while playing my DDs, but didn't have the problems with permaspot or dodging rockets. Brake checking rocket planes worked pretty well at getting them to overshoot  their rockets.

Beta Testers
1,581 posts
8,045 battles

The feel of the game reminds me on the whole a lot of Closed/Open Beta, and the immediate post-release era.  Back then vision control wasn't really a thing because CVs could and would spot you if needed.  People grouped up for AA, and generally fought in small groups while DDs either used standoff torps or tried to ambush.  Since then CV play gradually dropped and DDs took on a completely new role.  Instead of sticking with the team they began to branch off lone wolf style and vision control became a thing - which more or less has been the meta since then.

Ever since CVs no longer reliably appeared in matches WoWS has always been about vision control.  Master vision control and you win.  This is why DDs received tons of nerfs.  IJN DD torps were designed as standoff weapons, without CVs to provide vision and threat they could get far closer without risk and get much more reliable hits.  So they were nerfed.   Without highly mobile vision, it was very hard to proactively hunt DDs.  So WG added Radar.  Vision control has driven many of the game's balance decisions.

Then the CVs return. 

It was bound to get people angry, after all the gameplay changes significantly with CVs around, especially for DDs.  Most people don't have experience with the new meta.  And finally, DDs are getting bumped back to their old role  - but all the tools that WG handed out to counter DDs while CVs were gone are still in the game.  And ironically, mostly on the cruisers with great AA.  

I think WG has an easy choice here:  either they let the meta revert to the OBT days, with all the frustration that causes players, or they remove the ability of CVs to spot for their team.  Most of the CV complaints in the past day or so revolve around the consistency of AA and the impact it has on the meta, not so much with the concept of it.  I think a good portion of the frustration players feel can be changed by removing the spotting ability from CVs completely, and would also let WG focus on the numbers and mechanics of the CV drops instead of their meta breaking impact.

• Cool 1

[NGAGE]
Members
3,261 posts
8,187 battles

I think there's a high chance I unspec CE on many of my higher tier ships until the flood of CVs goes down.

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,117 posts
4,527 battles
56 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

infinite planes.   

thats not how CVs work, stop saying thats how they work.

[-BUI-]
Members
1,260 posts
3,170 battles
9 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

thats not how CVs work, stop saying thats how they work.

Attack until planes hit about 50% health, hit F, pick next set, repeat.    Never have to wait on recharge, always have 3 all types available at all times, lose literally nothing because making a successful attack with half your planes dead basically never works anyway.   

Planes that never stop regenerating are infinite, and no wordsmithing is gonna change that.    I can keep ALL 3 groups at full health the ENTIRE game and still get 100K+ damage, its not even difficult.   So yeah, they are infinite, since you never have to wait on them

• Cool 1

Members
503 posts
12,343 battles

I also noticed how the pace of the game has changed since 8.0. Unless WG makes some changes, I believe this pace will be the new normal. Concealment and positioning are going to mean less at the start of the game. I also fell ships that specialized in map flanking (E.g., Roma) are going to be obsolete in most games.  Tonight, I am going to respec most of my IJN and USN BBs to AA. It's a shame because I preferred stealth builds for my BBs.

[SBS]
Members
3,982 posts
2,408 battles
1 hour ago, Anonymous50 said:

As part of this, I'm wondering if the pace of the game has changed and people are reacting to that change of pace.

OP, your thread is the entire point of the rework.  WG wants the pace of the game to change.  I've saying that since that from the beginning.

45 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

I think WG has an easy choice here:  either they let the meta revert to the OBT days, with all the frustration that causes players, or they remove the ability of CVs to spot for their team.  Most of the CV complaints in the past day or so revolve around the consistency of AA and the impact it has on the meta, not so much with the concept of it.  I think a good portion of the frustration players feel can be changed by removing the spotting ability from CVs completely, and would also let WG focus on the numbers and mechanics of the CV drops instead of their meta breaking impact.

My suggestion was to remove the shared spotting for CVs and make it a consumable.  Anytime a CV wants his team to see what he sees, pop the consumable.  The duration, cooldown, and number of charges is all open to being balanced as needed.

Sign in to follow this