53 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator
1,471 posts
734 battles

We would like to further explain the reasons behind moving Azuma from tier X tier to IX.

When a new ship is added to the game, it's tier is decided with historical characteristics in mind. In Azuma's case there was an idea to add it as a tier X IJN cruiser. Testing has shown that balancing this ship would require too large of a deviation from the project's characteristics. We think that it is better for Azuma to be a good tier IX ship, rather than a weak tier X. Characteristics of the Azuma were adjusted accordingly: including changing the plating to 25mm (30 mm thickness is a X tier cruisers trait) and accuracy became the main feature of the ship.

We've noticed concerns about the Hydroacoustic Search being removed from Azuma. We understand this, but, considering all the ship's characteristics, the testing will go without this consumable. Later, if it suits the balance, the Hydroacoustic search may be brought back.

The idea to add an IJN tier X large cruiser hasn't gone away. We are working on the modernized version of Azuma, which will have torpedo launchers and strengthened AA at tier X.

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

• Cool 2

[_RNG_]
Members
97 posts
4,233 battles
4 minutes ago, iKami said:

The idea to add an IJN tier X large cruiser hasn't gone away. We are working on the modernized version of Azuma, which will have torpedo launchers and strengthened AA at tier X.

Does this mean that there will be 2 different versions of Azuma, possibly for different currencies?

[WOLFB]
Members
2,829 posts
5,555 battles

Thanks for the write up but we are to busy yelling about CVs to notice. 

Members
115 posts
3 minutes ago, iKami said:

We would like to further explain the reasons behind moving Azuma from tier X tier to IX.

When a new ship is added to the game, it's tier is decided with historical characteristics in mind. In Azuma's case there was an idea to add it as a tier X IJN cruiser. Testing has shown that balancing this ship would require too large of a deviation from the project's characteristics. We think that it is better for Azuma to be a good tier IX ship, rather than a weak tier X. Characteristics of the Azuma were adjusted accordingly: including changing the plating to 25mm (30 mm thickness is a X tier cruisers trait) and accuracy became the main feature of the ship.

We've noticed concerns about the Hydroacoustic Search being removed from Azuma. We understand this, but, considering all the ship's characteristics, the testing will go without this consumable. Later, if it suits the balance, the Hydroacoustic search may be brought back.

How about wargaming fix the CV issue before you continue to bring more issues into the game. 

I mean but you some common sense here a tier 6 carrier constantly being thrown into a tier 8 game you might as well leave it carriers on the ship cuz I get shredded before they even. Same with tier 8 almost always being stuck at tier 10 game.

Why not just give CV's 1 tier limits one up one down. That would also fix divisioning with Friends example Div mate's want to run tier 7 ships CV player has two options run tier 6 CV, in which case tier 7 ships made drag the TR6 CV into a tier 9 game tier 8 AA is already bad enough on a T6 CV but T9 you might as well bend the CV player over without any lube. And if you play a tier 8 CV now you're pulling 7 up into a t10 game. But hey you can't get the right planes on the deck of the Enterprise.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[O7]
Members
1,048 posts
14,167 battles
13 minutes ago, Pappy_0311 said:

How about wargaming fix the CV issue before you continue to bring more issues into the game. 

I mean but you some common sense here a tier 6 carrier constantly being thrown into a tier 8 game you might as well leave it carriers on the ship cuz I get shredded before they even. Same with tier 8 almost always being stuck at tier 10 game.

Why not just give CV's 1 tier limits one up one down. That would also fix divisioning with Friends example Div mate's want to run tier 7 ships CV player has two options run tier 6 CV, in which case tier 7 ships made drag the TR6 CV into a tier 9 game tier 8 AA is already bad enough on a T6 CV but T9 you might as well bend the CV player over without any lube. And if you play a tier 8 CV now you're pulling 7 up into a t10 game. But hey you can't get the right planes on the deck of the Enterprise.

All due respect... they can't stop developing the game and testing ships because the rework is in full swing. This change to azuma isn't taking much if any time away from the CV balancing and analytics. I for one think this change to azuma makes her MUCH more appealing, especially with that juicy dispersion buff.

• Cool 4

[CUTE]
Members
2,301 posts
10,290 battles
1 hour ago, iKami said:

*raises pitchforks and torches*

1 hour ago, iKami said:

*lowers pitchfork and torches*

• Funny 2

[NGA]
Members
1,760 posts
9,370 battles

Silver lining, this leaves room for that 100mm AA cruiser idea that pops up infrequently. Basically, 12 dual turrets with a broadside potential of 18 guns (there are three turrets on each side of the superstructure). That fires every three seconds. Course, you get the feeling that every one would hate this thing if introduced (though I get the feeling it would be a vulnerable as a Mino, but have no smoke as a balance factor.)

Members
15 posts
6,205 battles

the changes to the Azuma force it into an ibuki playstyle no hydro no armor and no health with full duration fires mean you are forced to sit back and spam and it looses its unique playstle that you could push into cruisers and play aggressive like a battleship to an extent now she cant and she has to snipe you cant push dds because no hydro you cant push into he because full duration fires and you cant push into any sort of ap because 25 mm armor is paper its just not a fun playstyle and she does not feel unique i strongly disagree with the design she needs her armor and her tackiness badly o yeah and loosing 12000hp is no joke either she just is not a fun ship in the state she is in 

• Cool 1

[PT8TO]
[PT8TO]
Members
447 posts
14,457 battles
3 hours ago, iKami said:

the modernized version of Azuma, which will have torpedo launchers and strengthened AA at tier X.

Would be interesting to see Biasgrad vs Megazao in the epic fight of the century. :cap_haloween:

Bo6fxiQ.gif?noredirect

• Funny 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,657 posts
11,722 battles

From what I've seen of CC WIP reviews...

I have no idea how they could determine that Azuma could not be saved at T10, while Leone still must absolutely be a T6, even if it needs the addition of US smoke and a complete new set of guns...

Different 'historical characteristics' I guess.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CUTE]
Members
2,301 posts
10,290 battles
3 hours ago, yashma said:

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 1.44.36 PM.jpg

Lol how is that ‘relatively soon’?

[WOLF7]
Members
224 posts
4,339 battles
8 hours ago, iKami said:

6 hours ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Silver lining, this leaves room for that 100mm AA cruiser idea that pops up infrequently. Basically, 12 dual turrets with a broadside potential of 18 guns (there are three turrets on each side of the superstructure). That fires every three seconds. Course, you get the feeling that every one would hate this thing if introduced (though I get the feeling it would be a vulnerable as a Mino, but have no smoke as a balance factor.)

How about that tier X cruiser with 100 mm guns from Chinese server? For the new CV meta it is perfect!!

[NGAGE]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
4,459 posts
6,670 battles
4 hours ago, Gavroche_ said:

Lol how is that ‘relatively soon’?

Because from what I understand, it takes years from when a ship is first conceptualized to when it's actually ready for the live server.  Dy development standards having a new ship ready in 3-4 patches is actually very quick. 

Beta Testers
1,719 posts
3,833 battles

Take note of my speculation thread on the tier 10 modern Azuma which I refer to as Azumaya in my speculation thread 

I saw Azumaya was a name being tossed around on the reddit post for the downtiering so that’s why I chose it for the speculation thread and it sounds nice as well. Will update with official name of the new modern tier 10 Azuma when it is known., which I will call Azumaya for now.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,921 posts
7,074 battles
On 2/1/2019 at 10:36 AM, UEG_PATRIOT said:

Does this mean that there will be 2 different versions of Azuma, possibly for different currencies?

Confirmed today:

T9 for FXP, alongside Alaska; T10 for coal. While this is not official, my guess is that she will probably supplement and then eventually replace Salem (as Jean Bart did for the Coal version of Musashi). On what timescale, I do not know.

Neustrashimy was confirmed as the steel ship, as I had hoped. I'm glad for the Azuma fans; I think locking the Japanese answer to Alaska behind steel would have been rather mean-hearted on WG's part. Now people with just enough FXP and plenty of coal can have T9 Alaska and the T10 version of Azuma at once, depending on release schedule; those with more FXP than God can have Alaska and also Azuma herself. If there is a significant delay between the two and they have enough FXP flags, premium time and playing opportunity, it might not be hard to get both T9's in short order.

[MIA-I]
Privateers
1,250 posts
12,391 battles

According to the Dev Blog post from this morning, 

Azuma will be a free XP ship,

Neustrashimy will be sold for steel

an upgraded cousin to Azuma, Yoshino at Tier X, will be sold for coal.

that is all. 

• Cool 3

[OO7]
Members
4,488 posts
11,046 battles

Wow, this feels like deja vu, almost like there have been many threads about this already. 

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,541 posts
4,679 battles

after seeing the listed stats for Neustrashimy. I not even sure that it even going to be worth the steel or not

[TOG]
Members
3,453 posts
18,290 battles

Well I got 2 mill free XP on hand. Anyone got a review for Yoshino?

[ARGSY]
Members
10,921 posts
7,074 battles
10 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Anyone got a review for Yoshino?

Not likely to happen for a bit, I suspect.

The family tree starts with Azuma as she was originally tested at Tier 10. It then branches in two directions, Azuma as she is currently being tested at Tier 9 and Yoshino.

Yoshino is IMO most likely to be Tier 10 Azuma with tweaks in various directions, and I do not think we are going to get anything as clear-cut as the form Azuma was in just before they downtiered her.

Conjecture: They will be doing everything in their power to differentiate these ships as much as possible before release, even if one is finalised and starts being available before the other.

[CAPGO]
Members
671 posts
4,599 battles
16 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

You know that Yoshino will be available for coal right?

[RKLES]
Members
8,972 posts
10,828 battles
15 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

@LittleWhiteMouse has a place for the Azuma in her list of ship reviews, but not yet uploaded / able to be released just yet I think. Too early for Yoshino review.

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,780 posts
4,437 battles

Yoshino is apparently gonna have torpedoes, as well as an improved AA suite. My guess also, is higher RoF, and maybe hydro.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,925 posts
8,282 battles

Distracting bones for the masses to chew on/

• Cool 2