Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Venac

For you BB players who....

9 comments in this topic

Members
352 posts

For you BB players who keep saying this game should be more like a sim and you should be able to blow DD up with ease and cut CA down like candy. Well sure WG could do that but maybe you should think about that a bit. If WG made this more like a sim you BB players would be in a lot of trouble and CV would make your lives even worse than what you think they are now. CA HE and DD torps would be the least of your worries. Oh, by they way I am back from my Months at Sea. Happy to be back at Norfolk after leaving for Sea right before Hurricane Florence. 

[55TH]
Beta Testers
1,285 posts
3,689 battles

Yeah, we already had that posted yesterday.

Have they fixed the part in the video description saying the Iowa class could fire 15 shell broadsides?  From their 9 guns?

Members
352 posts
2 minutes ago, Gasboy said:

Yeah, we already had that posted yesterday.

Have they fixed the part in the video description saying the Iowa class could fire 15 shell broadsides?  From their 9 guns?

No, lol. I saw that also....

[5BS]
Members
7,036 posts
2 minutes ago, Venac said:

For you BB players who keep saying this game should be more like a sim and you should be able to blow DD up with ease and cut CA down like candy. Well sure WG could do that but maybe you should think about that a bit. If WG made this more like a sim you BB players would be in a lot of trouble and CV would make your lives even worse than what you think they are now. CA HE and DD torps would be the least of your worries. Oh, by they way I am back from my Months at Sea. Happy to be back at Norfolk after leaving for Sea right before Hurricane Florence. 

Just for clarity, in the entirety of WWII, only 2 BB's were sunk at Sea by Carrier launched aircraft: Yamato and Musashi. The US lost no BB's in WWII at sea, to any cause, nor did any receive heavy damage from CV planes other than Land Launched Zeros used as Kamikazes. The RN never lost a BB, nor received damage from a CV, at Sea; only losing a CC and a BB to *land* launched Japanese bombers. Germany, while severely WOUNDED, the Bismarck was not SUNK by a CV launched aircraft; that sinking was done by gunfire and ship launched torpedoes and scuttling charges. Italy never lost a BB at sea to CV launched planes, nor France.

So point of fact, if you are trying to use history as a guide, history does not support the idea of a BB being sunk at sea by a CV. In fact, on the contrary, the actual TALLY of sunk CV's *by* BB's vs. BB's sunk by CV's at sea, actually favors the BB's; 4 CV's were sunk during WWII by gunfire *expressly* from BB's: 1 US (gunned down by the Nagato/Yamato), 1 RN (gunned down by Sharn/Gnies), and 2 IJN (NCs/Iowas/SD's).

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,383 posts
3,052 battles

Only the most naive people would want this to be a simulation, including us Brainless Bote players... last time I checked ships dont have hitpoints. The game is not very realistic at all, from basic strategies to ship detection, and it shouldn't be. 

[IXM]
Members
246 posts
3,963 battles
4 minutes ago, Gasboy said:

Was there ever a 15 gun battleship?  I'm drawing a blank thinking of one.  Did Jingles assist on the research for this video?

[55TH]
Beta Testers
1,285 posts
3,689 battles
Just now, Kyralee said:

Was there ever a 15 gun battleship?  I'm drawing a blank thinking of one.  Did Jingles assist on the research for this video?

HMS Agincourt had seven 2-gun turrets for a total of fourteen 12" guns.

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,383 posts
3,052 battles
1 minute ago, _RC1138 said:

The RN never lost a BB,

So 99% of what Inlearned about naval history actually comes from this game... and I know for a fact the Hood was blown up by Bismark...

Also the Bismark was arguably sunk by planes too, but I see the case you are making

I know roma was killed by an aircraft bomb, but you elaborated non-CV planes, so I presume you are correct for Italy

[5BS]
Members
7,036 posts
7 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

So 99% of what Inlearned about naval history actually comes from this game... and I know for a fact the Hood was blown up by Bismark...

The context a) Was from CV's sinking BB's, which the RN never lost a BB to a CV in the entire war and b) the Hood is a CC, not a BB, and what sank it, a BB, is well, a BB, thus not applicable. The idea that BB's were 'antiquated' during WWII due to CV's is a bad, VERY bad, reading of history, as it was Subs in reality that rendered BB's targets. More BB's were sunk to SS's than ANY other type of ship in WWII. Actually, to be fair, the same is true of WWI: more BB's were sunk to Subs (3) to Subs than any other source in WWI. Subs are the ACTUAL counter in reality to BB's, not CV's; CV's mostly countered BB's in port which for the record, frogmen could do about the same level of damage. The main reason we, as a world, view Aircraft carriers as the be-all-end-all ship is the Cold War, and the US's desire to build up huge swaths of Carrier Strike groups.

But the reality of CV's, then and now, are that they are for low intensity conflicts/attack an enemy that does not possess adequate sub forces. There are only two types of ships at Sea since the beginning of WWII: Submarines, and Targets. Frankly, if you look at ship vs. ship sinkings: subs hold the record in all categories of sinkings OTHER than CV's themselves. That is to say, Subs sank more of EVERY other type of ship, than any other type of ship, during the whole war, OTHER than CV's sunk, mostly because specifically Midway tipped the scales into CV's sinking other CV's.

Edited by _RC1138

Sign in to follow this