You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CyberKnife

Add me to the list of DD mains that are done with this game.

668 comments in this topic

[SIDE]
Members
2,188 posts

Self proclaimed “main”  and Driver of OP’est DD in the game is upset the formula for seal clubbing success has been changed without his consent and he is being inconvenienced.

Nothing to see here.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 27
  • Funny 9
  • Boring 2
  • Angry 4

[-TIC-]
Members
393 posts
2,379 battles
2 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Self proclaimed “main”  and Driver of OP’est DD in the game is upset the formula for seal clubbing success has been changed without his consent and he is being inconvenienced.

Yawn. Nothing to see here.

Doesn't matter which DD you're in if it doesn't have the AA to deal with planes. DDs can't play their role as defined by WG anymore. They are the preferred target of CVs because they're easy targets. CVs hold all the cards and a never ending supply of planes. DD players were hoping that they wouldn't be permaspotted and harassed by CVs anymore after the rework, but it turns out it's now much worse.

• Cool 19

[SIDE]
Members
2,188 posts
3 minutes ago, Tentakkel said:

Doesn't matter which DD you're in if it doesn't have the AA to deal with planes. DDs can't play their role as defined by WG anymore. They are the preferred target of CVs because they're easy targets. CVs hold all the cards and a never ending supply of planes. DD players were hoping that they wouldn't be permaspotted and harassed by CVs anymore after the rework, but it turns out it's now much worse.

Maybe player feedback will lead to tweaks to concealment values when spotted from aircraft in the next patch.

Would that help?

Edited by thebigblue

[DENY]
Members
438 posts
8,055 battles
9 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Nothing to see here.

When a DD can't cap or even get within torp range of a BB, then the role of the DD is useless. Even spotting doesn't matter because the CV is still spotting.

An entire class, especially what is considered the hardest class, being made obsolete and useless is not good for the game. It's a dumb mechanic that needs to be fixed. The rockets are especially dumb. 1 they are a fantasy item. 2. They are custom designed to screw over DDs.

• Cool 20
  • Boring 1

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,468 posts
10,544 battles

Will say it again, like a broken record.  Remove CVs, a simple and elegant solution.

• Cool 36

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,214 posts
14,270 battles

This is a bad patch for DDs. While not all of what you said is accurate, you are correct that CV saturation combined with highly unfavorable airspotting and AA rules totally broke concealment play.

3 minutes ago, Tentakkel said:

Doesn't matter which DD you're in if it doesn't have the AA to deal with planes.

That's all of them, so... yeah.

4 minutes ago, Tentakkel said:

DD players were hoping that they wouldn't be permaspotted and harassed by CVs anymore after the rework, but it turns out it's now much worse.

It's not actually worse. People have somehow already forgotten just how bad the old system was. Under the current system, you don't insta-die to an unavoidable cross-drop. But the new system isn't better enough, not by a long shot as far as DDs are concerned.

• Cool 9
  • Boring 1

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,468 posts
10,544 battles
1 minute ago, Xanthro said:

When a DD can't cap or even get within torp range of a BB, then the role of the DD is useless. Even spotting doesn't matter because the CV is still spotting.

An entire class, especially what is considered the hardest class, being made obsolete and useless is not good for the game. It's a dumb mechanic that needs to be fixed. The rockets are especially dumb. 1 they are a fantasy item. 2. They are custom designed to screw over DDs.

Yeah love rockets firing from biplanes...lol lol...now I KNOW they had them in WWI for balloon destruction, but to trying to hit a non stationary target thats not floating in the air...would be near impossible...that is why it wasn't till mid WWII that you see rocket carrying aircraft that can actually hit something.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[-BUI-]
Members
1,223 posts
3,138 battles
3 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Maybe there will be tweaks to concealment values when spotted from aircraft in the next patch would that help?

That won't do a single thing at all.    Planes can use radio detection.     Plus its easy enough to find DDs regardless, they tend to go to predictable spots and their AA will given them away if you get close enough as well.

• Cool 2

[SIDE]
Members
2,188 posts

Perhaps a 4th type of plane is added. An unarmed spotting plane similar to battleships but able to go on fuel limited recon sorties and not restricted to a small orbit.  Each carrier gets 2 and they only fly them one at a time. Now no other type of plane can “find” surface targets unseen by ships. When they get shot down the carrier no longer has ability to spot independently and relies on other ships to light targets. Would that help?

• Funny 1
  • Angry 1

[BLKRS]
[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
736 posts
2,547 battles
18 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Nothing to see here.

This. lol.. oh noes my no skill seal clubbing tactics dont work anymore! how will I pad my stats!

• Cool 3
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 2

[-TIC-]
Members
393 posts
2,379 battles
Just now, thebigblue said:

Maybe there will be tweaks to concealment values when spotted from aircraft in the next patch would that help?

CVs can spec RPF now, which makes it easy to home in on DDs. It's also easy to guess where a DD wants to be, regardless of RPF. Planes have the speed to scan very large areas quickly. One possible improvement would be to not broadcast the location of a DD to the rest of the team when spotted by a plane. But even then a CV can easily harass you for the rest of the game (or rather - for the rest of your ship's HP). The only counter a DD has is a limited amount of smoke, which is normally reserved for ship engagements. CVs on the other hand have a never ending supply of planes. Even if we manage to shoot down an attacking squadron, the CV can just send a fresh one moments later.

[BLKRS]
[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
736 posts
2,547 battles
12 minutes ago, Tentakkel said:

They're the "prefered" targets because everyone knows they are the most vital to take out.. you're both the spotter, concealer, interference, and potentially 1 shot capable ship on the team, all in 1 ship. Like it or not DD's are overloaded in what they can do. Like it or not, that makes you the most critical target to take out.

Hey good news though, with this rework, it does actually take skill to use a DD effectively now. So now all those arguments are valid.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 3

[5BS]
Members
6,988 posts
24 minutes ago, CyberKnife said:

I have a 63% WR or something in Kamikaze R...easy mode OP DD.

Why should any of us care? Losing you, if that's how you play, is probably a good thing; 1 less [edited] farming 'wins' on New players, driving them away. I mean there's a GREAT deal to unpack in this one sentence: the idea that you value WR, that you do so in the Kami-R, conveniently far away from Radar, that you prioritize that kind of setup... yeah you are the perfect example of, "I'm leaving," and 'nothing of value was lost.' You want an impressive stat? Get your average tier played up to 8-9. Do that with a 63% WR and you might be worth a damn.

Edited by _RC1138
  • Cool 17
  • Boring 1

[TFLT]
Members
181 posts
9,647 battles
19 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Nothing to see here.

Agree Kami is an OP seal clubber. Just using that as an example of the situation. Even a pro at that easy DD cant score 1 point of damage in 5 games straight. Had same result in Tier 4 to Tier 10. No need to be nasty. Just using that ship to make a point.

• Cool 15

[-TIC-]
Members
393 posts
2,379 battles
5 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

This is a bad patch for DDs. While not all of what you said is accurate, you are correct that CV saturation combined with highly unfavorable airspotting and AA rules totally broke concealment play.

That's all of them, so... yeah.

It's not actually worse. People have somehow already forgotten just how bad the old system was. Under the current system, you don't insta-die to an unavoidable cross-drop. But the new system isn't better enough, not by a long shot as far as DDs are concerned.

It's worse. Because before the rework, only skilled CVs knew to go for DDs. It also took some skill, because there were no rocket planes back then. After the rework, every CV goes for DDs because they don't like hitting the AA blobs from larger ships who group up. DDs can't group up because it they're simply not designed to hang around in a fleet. They are designed to ambush the enemy and do spotting.

• Cool 6

[TFLT]
Members
181 posts
9,647 battles
2 minutes ago, Lady_Athena said:

This. lol.. oh noes my no skill seal clubbing tactics dont work anymore! how will I pad my stats!

Again..just used the OP Kami to show that even a ridiculously OP ship in the hands of someone who is very good at using it cant even get that DD to perform. I had the same result in all the DDs I played from Tier 4 to 10. It never ceases to amaze me how people find a way to attack you if you post. I thought I was being clear that even a crazy OP ship like that cant get damage it demonstrates the problem is real. No need to flame me. I'm not complaining that I cant seal club. I'm using that ship as an example of the scope of a problem. No need to attack.

• Cool 17

[RLGN]
Members
10,339 posts
19,648 battles
12 minutes ago, Tentakkel said:

Have been saying this rework would be a mess for months; I am surprised though that spotting actually seems to be worse?

(-)

As a serious question; could CVs not equip RDF/RPF before?

Members
2,939 posts
3,738 battles
4 minutes ago, Morpheous said:

Will say it again, like a broken record.  Remove CVs, a simple and elegant solution.

I've been a huge defender of CVs. I was always prepared to concede that they needed a serious rebalancing effort, but I could see plenty of ways they could stay in the game without breaking it for any one other class.

Post rework? The only think that has really changed is the control scheme. DDs are still getting permaspotted, planes are fast enough that the CV can still spot all over the place, and at higher tiers the skills floor is just as high as it was before; if you can't quite get the hang of dodging flak, you're either only going to go after easy targets (DDs) or you're going to give up entirely and if you can get the hang of it, you're still doing a lot of damage it's just staggered now instead of insta-deletes.

Which really makes me wonder what the point of the rework was; sure the CV population right now is high, but I think that's going to drop back off to pre-rework levels in the not-to-distant future.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
2,188 posts
6 minutes ago, CyberKnife said:

Agree Kami is an OP seal clubber. Just using that as an example of the situation. Even a pro at that easy DD cant score 1 point of damage in 5 games straight. Had same result in Tier 4 to Tier 10. No need to be nasty. Just using that ship to make a point.

Was just bustin balls. It strikes me as funny to hear some of the different things seal clobbers try to sell regular folks on as unique hardships. So, yeah, I had  to Chuckle a little.

Id actually like to see if my 4th plane, lower concealment from air idea could be made to work.  

Another idea I just had was maybe make rpf a defensive tool only for use by bomber/torpedo squadrons to warn them about enemy fighter locations. Either that or remove it from carriers entirely. Would that work?

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
1,520 posts
3,473 battles
6 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Why should any of us care? Losing you, if that's how you play, is probably a good thing; 1 less [edited] farming 'wins' on New players, driving them away. I mean there's a GREAT deal to unpack in this one sentence: the idea that you value WR, that you do so in the Kami-R, conveniently far away from Radar, that you prioritize that kind of setup... yeah you are the perfect example of, "I'm leaving," and 'nothing of value was lost.' You want an impressive stat? Get your average tier played up to 8-9. Do that with a 63% WR and you might be worth a damn.

qrcox.jpg

• Funny 1

[NMKJT]
Members
3,697 posts
14 minutes ago, Morpheous said:

Yeah love rockets firing from biplanes...lol lol...now I KNOW they had them in WWI for balloon destruction, but to trying to hit a non stationary target thats not floating in the air...would be near impossible...that is why it wasn't till mid WWII that you see rocket carrying aircraft that can actually hit something.

Fairey Swordfish had metal lower wings so they could fire rockets. Just about every fighter had hardpoints for rockets.

Rockets were a thing.

Germany had a biplane ground attack plane that was in frontline service until 44, all metal construction. Italian Falcos fought in the Battle of Britain. Biplanes served well into the war

Edited by Wombatmetal

[WOLFC]
Members
1,039 posts
6,136 battles

CV's are permaspotting DD's because they can't get at anybody else.

What that should be doing is driving DD's back towards the AA ships on their teams.

Oh wait it is.

The Blob LIVES!!!!

• Cool 2

[-TIC-]
Members
393 posts
2,379 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Have been saying this rework would be a mess for months; I am surprised though that spotting actually seems to be worse?

(-)

As a serious question; could CVs not equip RDF/RPF before?

Before the rework, CVs had to play a lot more cautiously because of two things: 1. enemy CVs had fighter groups which could strafe them 2. they had a limited amount of planes. Now CVs can just send in wave after wave of planes without a care in the world. That's probably why there is a lot more plane spotting now.

• Cool 3