Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kingpin61

First Impressions of the 11 new WIP ships this patch

26 comments in this topic

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Members
334 posts
18,183 battles

Before I start, WG changed our NDA so now we can talk about the ships, we just can't show or stream any gameplay (feelsbadman). However, we can talk about our impressions with the ships and their stats. So, here are my first impressions:

V Viribus Unitus: Not T5 material. Thing is still stupidly tanky, though being against Nagatos and Colorados sucks. Recommend they bump it back down to T4.

V Yahagi: Engine boost and torp buffs are nice, but the torps are too situational to base the ship around. The shell buffs are nice, but it just makes them slightly less trash, and none of the buffs fix the issue of very low firepower and actual paper for armor. Recommend they add ASM0 and/or a smoke screen.

VI Leone: As a rule, i don't like WG playing with velocities. However, it is still a nice QoL buff at midrange, and the shells probably won't hit at max range anyway. The US smokes are fine.  Feels p[retty balanced now

IX Azuma: I don't like what they've done to azuma. Revert it to it's previous tier and it's good to go. It feels fine at T9, but it shouldn't be a T9. Unless Ishikari (B64, mini yamato) is in the works and is going to T10, in which case, i think it's in a good spot here. Though i think it could use a bit more range.

IX Neustrashimy: It feels like a very jack of all trades boat, but i can't think of a reason to use this over fletcher. a 10% reload buff would go a long way to fix that issue.

V Exeter: I was hoping it wouldn't be as OP as the stats made it look, but oh my god it's worse. It's a furutaka with smoke and a heal. who the hell thought sending it to live in this state was a good idea?! this thing makes belfast look balanced. jesus. Recommend moving it to T6, as is.

IV Hermes: The rockets are useless, and the torp bombers are like hitting the enemy BBs with pillows. But these dive bombers drop ~20 bombs per salvo, even at this tier, which is pretty spicy.

VI Furious: The dive bombers are still nasty, but it takes a lot of getting used to- they drop from waaaaaaaaaay higher up compared to the other nations-and with way less accuracy. However, that's a double edged sword- I got a 4 fire salvo in one of my games with it.

VIII Implacable: A bit overtuned. Racking up 120k+ in both this and Audacious feels way too easy. 

X Audacious: I think it feels fine, honestly. Maybe a bit overtuned; to be honest, the torp spread is disgustingly small when you aim it well. It has the same carpet bombers as the low tier, but they do way more damage, obviously. Also this thing does 15 knots in a turn. Just..... just saying. I think that the bombs need a bit of a fire chance reduction. Also, knock the plating down to 19mm from 21, because right now 127mm guns can't penetrate it anywhere but the easily saturated superstructure.

VIII Indomitable: No torp bombers on a T8 premium is..................... debatable, not gonna lie. The dive bombers do huge damage, but the squad size of 6, and the attacking flight of 2 is harsh, even if each plane gets 6 bombs. (also, minor gripe, but the plane models have 4 bombs on one wing and 2 on the other. literally not balans) The bombs hit hard as hell, but it takes 2 minutes to recharge a single plane if you lose it. If you lose the whole squadon your fist strike, you'll recharge to a full squad in SIX MINUTES. However, i think it's pretty balanced, though i'd want it to get some kind of torp bomber, because right now you basically can't hurt enemy carriers. This thing spams rockets and bombs, and feels pretty balanced and enjoyable, even in T10 MM. 

**General Thoughts**

I like the carpet bombing as a gimmick, but i think it's a bit strong now.

Indomitable feels like Saipan. imho. Overtiered planes, that are super fast, but very slow recharge punishes losing them.

Please help Yahagi. I want to love her. I like what you're doing with the DL idea WG, but you can't do it halfway.

Thanks for your time. If you'd like to give me a follow on Twitch, i'd really appreciate it. https://www.twitch.tv/kingpin6100/

Edited by Kingpin61
  • Cool 6
  • Boring 1

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,572 posts
32,653 battles

Thanks for the info.

[NGA]
Members
1,744 posts
9,318 battles

Brit CVs definitely have my attention. I like the idea of carpet bombing since they weren't really know for having a solid dive bomber like the Americans and Japanese were (though this could be chalked up to a lack of need to develop one).

[HYDRO]
Members
2,995 posts
4,596 battles

Regarding Yahagi, do you think maybe just buffing the RoF would be a reasonable alternate to smoke/ASM0 ?

[CUTER]
Members
27 posts
6,970 battles

Yahagi would definitely benefit more with general buffs to the guns (reload, turret traverse) than smoke, at least in my experience. If they want to stick with it being more torp forcused, then they would need to buff the firing angles greatly.

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Members
334 posts
18,183 battles
Just now, warheart1992 said:

Regarding Yahagi, do you think maybe just buffing the RoF would be a reasonable alternate to smoke/ASM0 ?

eh.... the shells are still really floaty anywhere past medium range- it's a struggle to land hits if the enemy maneuvers at all outside of about 11km. With that in mind, my idea would be to give it tools to let it get into effective range, considering it already has a traditional DD engine boost and DD-like rudder shift. A simple RoF buff would be a bit boring imo, but it could work with an 8 second reload though. 

But then HuangHe would get powercrept :kappa:

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,902 posts
8,282 battles
22 minutes ago, Kingpin61 said:

I like the carpet bombing as a gimmick, but i think it's a bit strong now.

FAA fans everywhere, will hate you for this statement. 2 reasons, calling level bombing, "carpet" bombing, and for supporting this gimmick for a naval airforce that barely used level bombing, preferring dive bombing (and above all, torps). Still I am glad to hear both the t8 and 10 are looking good.

WG is doing a good job of antagonizing potential buyers of the premium t8 Implacable.

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Members
334 posts
18,183 battles
2 minutes ago, admiralpng said:

Yahagi would definitely benefit more with general buffs to the guns (reload, turret traverse) than smoke, at least in my experience. If they want to stick with it being more torp forcused, then they would need to buff the firing angles greatly.

You mean like some kind of Aiming Systems Mod? :thinking:

The problem with the torp angle buff is that the model restricts the angles heavily, and the torps are too situational to have the ship balanced around them in a significant way, imho.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,902 posts
8,282 battles
11 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Brit CVs definitely have my attention. I like the idea of carpet bombing since they weren't really know for having a solid dive bomber like the Americans and Japanese were (though this could be chalked up to a lack of need to develop one).

Wargaming have much to answer for,  putting such ideas into the heads and minds of its playerbase.

[CUTER]
Members
27 posts
6,970 battles

Implying you need to give it that upgrade instead of just buffing the ships actual stats. Also, its apparent the wg wants to balance this ship around its torps, otherwise they wouldnt be giving it the buffs to make it basically a dd.

Alpha Tester
2,244 posts
24 minutes ago, Kingpin61 said:

V Viribus Unitus: Not T5 material. Thing is still stupidly tanky, though being against Nagatos and Colorados sucks. Recommend they bump it back down to T4.

If VU overperforms on the live server she will be condemned to the same supercontainer abyss as Nikolai and Konig Albert. I really don't want that to happen, especially to a real historical ship. WG has screwed up enough WW1 BBs already. T5 at least keeps VU in check.

26 minutes ago, Kingpin61 said:

V Exeter: I was hoping it wouldn't be as OP as the stats made it look, but oh my god it's worse. It's a furutaka with smoke and a heal. who the hell thought sending it to live in this state was a good idea?! this thing makes belfast look balanced. jesus. Recommend moving it to T6, as is.

Exeter is really that good, huh? Well if it means I get to use her in T6 operations.

[-TXT-]
Members
66 posts
4,760 battles
31 minutes ago, Kingpin61 said:

Hermes: The rockets are useless, and the torp bombers are like hitting the enemy BBs with pillows. But these dive bombers drop ~20 bombs per salvo, even at this tier, which is pretty spicy.

VI Furious: The dive bombers are still nasty, but it takes a lot of getting used to- they drop from waaaaaaaaaay higher up compared to the other nations-and with way less accuracy. However, that's a double edged sword- I got a 4 fire salvo in one of my games with it.

VIII Implacable: A bit overtuned. Racking up 120k+ in both this and Audacious feels way too easy. 

X Audacious: I think it feels fine, honestly. Maybe a bit overtuned; to be honest, the torp spread is disgustingly small when you aim it well. It has the same carpet bombers as the low tier, but they do way more damage, obviously. Also this thing does 15 knots in a turn. Just..... just saying. I think that the bombs need a bit of a fire chance reduction.

VIII Indomitable: No torp bombers on a T8 premium is..................... debatable, not gonna lie. The dive bombers do huge damage, but the squad size of 6, and the attacking flight of 2 is harsh, even if each plane gets 6 bombs. (also, minor gripe, but the plane models have 4 bombs on one wing and 2 on the other. literally not balans) The bombs hit hard as hell, but it takes 2 minutes to recharge a single plane if you lose it. If you lose the whole squadon your fist strike, you'll recharge to a full squad in SIX MINUTES. However, i think it's pretty balanced, though i'd want it to get some kind of torp bomber, because right now you basically can't hurt enemy carriers. This thing spams rockets and bombs, and feels pretty balanced and enjoyable, even in T10 MM. 

Out of curiosity, what planes do the British CVs use or is that NDA?

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Members
334 posts
18,183 battles
1 minute ago, Wolcott said:

If VU overperforms on the live server she will be condemned to the same supercontainer abyss as Nikolai and Konig Albert. I really don't want that to happen, especially to a real historical ship. WG has screwed up enough WW1 BBs already. T5 at least keeps VU in check.

Exeter is really that good, huh? Well if it means I get to use her in T6 operations.

When they moved it to T5, they gave it 16km range, 1.8 sigma, 30 second reload, adn 45 second TT, in return for a concealment nerf. I say whack the sigma down to 1.5, up the concealment to 13km flat, drop the range back to 14.7, undo the turret traverse buff, and up the reload to 33 seconds. I don't think the ship should be at T5, even buffed in this state. It's no doubt strong, but it doesn't look or feel like it should be there. I think it's a much better fit when nerfed at T4.

Also, facing a T6 CV in this think is really not fun.

Modder, Beta Testers
1,576 posts
2,652 battles

Strictly from a historical perspective I find it funny that Vee Unit was the first dreadnought built by a relatively minor naval power and Tier V is populated with third and fourth gen capital ships that would have mopped the floor with her in a real engagement.  She was pretty strong at Tier IV but really I would have preferred toning her down to keep her within Tier than kicking her up.  

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Members
334 posts
18,183 battles
1 minute ago, JakeTheSeaSnake said:

Out of curiosity, what planes do the British CVs use or is that NDA?

Hermes: Sea Gladiator, Albacore (TB), Swordfish
Furious: Sea Hurricane, Barracuda MkII (TB and DB)
Implacable: Seafire, Spearfish (TB and DB)
Indomitable: Sea Hornet (Rocket and DB) [NO TORP BOMBERS]
Audacious: Wyvern (Rocket, TB, and DB)

[55TH]
Beta Testers
1,285 posts
3,689 battles

Nice, I hope they take your advice on the Exeter and move her to tier 6.

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Members
334 posts
18,183 battles
1 minute ago, Gasboy said:

Nice, I hope they take your advice on the Exeter and move her to tier 6.

Me too. It would absolutely work better there, and they've shown they're willing to change tier even in this round of tests.

Edited by Kingpin61

[KNMSU]
Members
5,574 posts
5,756 battles

Tragic about V-U, but utterly predictable. Nothing like another port queen/hood ornament because Wargaming can't balance their own game.

Edited by Battleship_AndreaDoria

[ARGSY]
Members
139 posts
4,979 battles

Agile got  it's torp range extended to 8 km. I think this will make this meh ship very deadly. You can now stealth torp and the damage these things put out is just stupid mean for tier VI. 

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Members
334 posts
18,183 battles
Just now, handybilly said:

Agile got  it's torp range extended to 8 km. I think this will make this meh ship very deadly. You can now stealth torp and the damage these things put out is just stupid mean for tier VI. 

Eh. It's only 1km. Besides, that ship has been released for a long time; this thread is about the new WIP ships.

[-HON-]
Beta Testers
502 posts
12,604 battles
48 minutes ago, Kingpin61 said:

X Audacious: I think it feels fine, honestly. Maybe a bit overtuned; to be honest, the torp spread is disgustingly small when you aim it well. It has the same carpet bombers as the low tier, but they do way more damage, obviously. Also this thing does 15 knots in a turn. Just..... just saying. I think that the bombs need a bit of a fire chance reduction. Also, knock the plating down to 19mm from 21, because right now 127mm guns can't penetrate it anywhere but the easily saturated superstructure.

Watching Flamu rack up multiple 200k+ damage games with 25+ torp hits, with super narrow torp spreads, I think the TBs need some rework.  The rockets and bombers seem fine.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
4,742 posts
2,655 battles
19 minutes ago, Kingpin61 said:

Does this mean the Sword fish are the dive (level) bombers and not the TBs?

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Members
334 posts
18,183 battles
15 minutes ago, SansPeur said:

Watching Flamu rack up multiple 200k+ damage games with 25+ torp hits, with super narrow torp spreads, I think the TBs need some rework.  The rockets and bombers seem fine.

Frankly, I'd prefer they take one or two bombs away from each plane and increase the spread. I'm not a bad player, but hitting 90% of air dropped torps is ridiculous. 

[-TXT-]
Members
66 posts
4,760 battles
52 minutes ago, Kingpin61 said:

Furious: Sea Hurricane, Barracuda MkII (TB and DB)
Implacable: Seafire, Spearfish (TB and DB)
Indomitable: Sea Hornet (Rocket and DB) [NO TORP BOMBERS]
Audacious: Wyvern (Rocket, TB, and DB)

Damn, I was pretty spot on with the planes I thought they would have. Only missed four, the Sea Hurricane, Albacore,  Sea Hornet, and Spearfish. I knew the Wyvern was gonna be on Audacious but didn't realize it was the ONLY plane on board. Guess there wasn't really any postwar carrier borne DBs or TBs for UK. I am shocked no Sea Fury though.

Edited by JakeTheSeaSnake

[PVE]
Members
613 posts
6,218 battles
1 hour ago, SansPeur said:

Yeah that was some brutal work he was doing. Literally doing pre-work damage totals, murdering basically anything once they spread out even a little.

Sign in to follow this