Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
General_Lee_Miserable

New CV Play From Perspective of Non-CV Player

4 comments in this topic

Members
507 posts

I intentionally held off on playing CVs before, because I didn't want to play a class that was going to undergo drastic changes.  So,  I took some of the XP I won in the lunar crates, added a little I already had saved, and got a fully decked out Ranger. Played a few co-op battles and one random battle. I feel I've got the game play principles done pretty good now.

My opinion: It feels like it is lacking.  The game play feels really shallow. I'm going to leave all opinions about balance aside, because balance is undeniably a mess at this point. But, there really wasn't much gratifying about it. You take off, pick an enemy, unload your ordinance, return to carrier, repeat. You have extremely limited control over squadrons and I think that might be one of the biggest issues. The control scheme for planes is entirely too simple.  At no time did I feel like I was playing anything that required "skill".  

I always thought the better idea would have been to merge WOWP and WOWS or incorporate aspects of WOWP into WOWS. Have individually controlled planes take off from a carrier/runway that would be beyond the map limits. Planes could spot, engage in combat with other planes, or drop ordinance on ships. Something like this would have been much better for the game and create a much more dynamic experience. I don't see CV play surviving long term in its current iteration. 

• Cool 1

Members
292 posts
3,685 battles

The insta spotting has to go. It totally ruins gameplay. View range or the whole mechanic needs to be redone. The plane is one thing the fleet is another. It effects all surface ships and really deletes DD's effectiveness. 

• Cool 2

[TOG]
Members
3,453 posts
18,290 battles
52 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

My opinion: It feels like it is lacking.  The game play feels really shallow. I'm going to leave all opinions about balance aside, because balance is undeniably a mess at this point. But, there really wasn't much gratifying about it. You take off, pick an enemy, unload your ordinance, return to carrier, repeat. You have extremely limited control over squadrons and I think that might be one of the biggest issues. The control scheme for planes is entirely too simple.  At no time did I feel like I was playing anything that required "skill".  

The problem with the original  CV iteration is that it was an RTS game, requiring a CV player to micro manage. That placed a high skill floor to be able to successfully play a CV. Which lead to CV's being the least played of the ship classes. Not to mention that a very good CV player can dominate the game. That's why CV's aren't played in clan battles. the new iteration allows for even noob players to be able to play CV's. I do believe WG hopes to make  CV play more accessible with direct player control of the squadrons. 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,914 posts
7,074 battles
1 hour ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

But, there really wasn't much gratifying about it. You take off, pick an enemy, unload your ordinance, return to carrier, repeat. You have extremely limited control over squadrons and I think that might be one of the biggest issues. The control scheme for planes is entirely too simple.  At no time did I feel like I was playing anything that required "skill".  

I think there are subtleties with regard to management of speed boost (fast and slow) and use of land cover where available that most players haven't delved into yet, even those who've spent time on the PTS. I know I have a metric F-ton of stuff still to perfect. 

1 hour ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

I always thought the better idea would have been to merge WOWP and WOWS or incorporate aspects of WOWP into WOWS.

While it's an exciting concept, I'm not sure how manageable it would be. You would have a carrier driver and then one or more "pilots", but this potentially makes things so much worse in terms of multi-squadron strike and permaspotting than the RTS was already. You would have to find people in the queue who wanted to do nothing but fly airplanes, or fill their spots with bots (and be at a disadvantage).

While I really like the idea, I suspect it would be easier and healthier to do it by putting carriers into WOWP than to bring WOWP gameplay into WOWS. The whole point of the rework was to restrict the carrier player to controlling ONE fighting vehicle at a time, just like all the other ships in the game, and end the whole micromanaging multitasking thing that gave a select few an inborn advantage. 

I think things will get better when WG can take a look at whole-server CV-dealt damage, plane-survival stats etc, and do a rebalance tweak. 

Sign in to follow this