You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'lyeh: Day 1 of the Rework.

31 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
10,722 posts
7,023 battles

I was sure as God made little green apples that I had upgraded and bought everything on the Independence. So when my Ranger launched biplane torpedo bombers to attack Tier 8 bots, I thought "This cannot end well." Spoiler - it didn't. :fish_boom:

Nevertheless, the team rallied and pulled off a win, and my Ranger knocked its snowflake off. Thank you, WG, for extending the snowflakes at least to day 1 of the new order, because with the money I had from Guineas and from selling off the Bogue, I was able to FXP to Richelieu and buy it, and that one had a snowflake as well. Plus I had just over 3000 doubloons, and if I had made an error with demounting modules or something, I would not have had enough to pay for her permacamo. So there were reasons for doing this right now.

I will probably put my Admiral Hipper into the Gaede tonight; I have decided to stop the German cruiser grind at the Yorck.

Thank you, WG, for the free re-spec AND retraining period; I have shifted my 19 pointer into the Fiji and swapped out Vigilance and PM for RPF, and my PT,LS,BFT,AFT Russian captain has moved from Bogatyr into the Gnevny. 

Note that while the free retraining period is active, it should be possible to rotate your 19 pointers through ALL your ships for first wins. I trust this is not an abuse. I would, however, be sure to park them back into their original ships at the end of the night - or at the very least, in a ship you don't mind them being reassigned to if you forget to move them back at the end.

I think the damage done by carrier aircraft needs to be tweaked upwards a significant amount. If my planes are going to get murdered as much as they do, they need to do more damage per attack pass. Also, there is probably no need for minimap autopilot waypoints to be reached at anything less than flank speed.

Overall it looks like it could be fun, but I need to get much better at flak-dodging and probably go back down to Langley and Hosho for a while. I knew I wasn't ready for the Ranger in the new mode, but I wanted to knock that snowflake off in case it was one night only.

I'm really pleased I researched Hosho off the Myogi while I was grinding it before the update dropped - I saved myself over 4000 XP in the grind PLUS I don't need to think about rebuying the Isokaze. On the other hand, I have a little under 12,000 XP on the Wakeful, so I should be able to grab the Hermes the day it's released and won't have to repurchase the Orion.

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
2,654 posts
7,644 battles
27 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I was sure as God made little green apples that I had upgraded and bought everything on the Independence. So when my Ranger launched biplane torpedo bombers to attack Tier 8 bots, I thought "This cannot end well." Spoiler - it didn't. :fish_boom:

Nevertheless, the team rallied and pulled off a win, and my Ranger knocked its snowflake off. Thank you, WG, for extending the snowflakes at least to day 1 of the new order, because with the money I had from Guineas and from selling off the Bogue, I was able to FXP to Richelieu and buy it, and that one had a snowflake as well. Plus I had just over 3000 doubloons, and if I had made an error with demounting modules or something, I would not have had enough to pay for her permacamo. So there were reasons for doing this right now.

I will probably put my Admiral Hipper into the Gaede tonight; I have decided to stop the German cruiser grind at the Yorck.

Thank you, WG, for the free re-spec AND retraining period; I have shifted my 19 pointer into the Fiji and swapped out Vigilance and PM for RPF, and my PT,LS,BFT,AFT Russian captain has moved from Bogatyr into the Gnevny. 

Note that while the free retraining period is active, it should be possible to rotate your 19 pointers through ALL your ships for first wins. I trust this is not an abuse. I would, however, be sure to park them back into their original ships at the end of the night - or at the very least, in a ship you don't mind them being reassigned to if you forget to move them back at the end.

I think the damage done by carrier aircraft needs to be tweaked upwards a significant amount. If my planes are going to get murdered as much as they do, they need to do more damage per attack pass. Also, there is probably no need for minimap autopilot waypoints to be reached at anything less than flank speed.

Overall it looks like it could be fun, but I need to get much better at flak-dodging and probably go back down to Langley and Hosho for a while. I knew I wasn't ready for the Ranger in the new mode, but I wanted to knock that snowflake off in case it was one night only.

I'm really pleased I researched Hosho off the Myogi while I was grinding it before the update dropped - I saved myself over 4000 XP in the grind PLUS I don't need to think about rebuying the Isokaze. On the other hand, I have a little under 12,000 XP on the Wakeful, so I should be able to grab the Hermes the day it's released and won't have to repurchase the Orion.

If you like the Yorck, you'll love the Hipper. It is a good ship.

Yes, use the free re-spec & retraining of commanders to your advantage. This is the best perk of 8.0.

[-K-]
Members
6,253 posts
10,469 battles
14 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Yes, use the free re-spec & retraining of commanders to your advantage. This is the best perk of 8.0.

Also note that you (apparently) can sell any permanent camos you have for doubloons.  I'll gladly be selling some of the gawdy Halloween camos I won that I'll never use.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,439 posts
20,366 battles
Just now, Ace_04 said:

Also note that you (apparently) can sell any permanent camos you have for doubloons.  I'll gladly be selling some of the gawdy Halloween camos I won that I'll never use.

When I sold Lexington, I got doubloons for the Halloween camo for her. Unfortunately I didn't have the IJN carrier that used the Gorgon camo but had it and the Gorgon is still in my inventory. I don't see a way to sell it, thinking of submitting a ticket. 

[A-I-M]
Members
1,682 posts
9,051 battles
14 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Any????? Sooooo, I could sell my "Cleveland B. Ugly"* and "Des Moines B. Ugly"* camos from Go Navy and cruiser collection?

*B for Butt. "Butt. Butt Ugly. Shaken, not stirred."

[TBW]
Members
7,522 posts
13,799 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I will probably put my Admiral Hipper into the Gaede tonight;

Feel free to move your captains at will, not only can they respec for free, they can be moved about ships for free too. Until the 8th I think, which generally means the seventh ( I am not real sure when the respec ends though). Maybe @Radar_X can answer that.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,722 posts
7,023 battles
2 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

my "Cleveland B. Ugly"* and "Des Moines B. Ugly"* camos

Are we talking about the "Festooned with art-deco eagles" one? I won that for the Baltimore during the US cruisers event, and it's the only reason I ground up as far as that ship. It serves the purpose as well as the normal permacamo, and I didn't have to cough up doubloons for it.

The Cleveland one I didn't need - I bought the Cleveland her standard permacamo at 50% discount using doubloons I'd won in-game, just before the line split - but I fit it anyway.

43 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

If you like the Yorck, you'll love the Hipper. It is a good ship.

A man's got to know his limitations, to quote Dirty Harry.

1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Feel free to move your captains at will, not only can they respec for free, they can be moved about ships for free too.

I know, and I made a point about rotating 19 pointers around for first wins while this is in effect. I'd be careful about where I left them at the end of the night, though.

[TBW]
Members
7,522 posts
13,799 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'd be careful about where I left them at the end of the night, though.

Tier 9 might be the place for some of them, for a month or so anyway. Just think of the Elite XP, if you make it to tier 1 with all 19 point captains.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[A-I-M]
Members
1,682 posts
9,051 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Are we talking about the "Festooned with art-deco eagles" one? I won that for the Baltimore during the US cruisers event, and it's the only reason I ground up as far as that ship. It serves the purpose as well as the normal permacamo, and I didn't have to cough up doubloons for it.

The Cleveland one I didn't need - I bought the Cleveland her standard permacamo at 50% discount using doubloons I'd won in-game, just before the line split - but I fit it anyway.

Yes, we are.

I bought my regular Cleveland permacamo when she was T6 also. I bought the Des Moines Butt Ugly with tokens from Go Navy, because I needed a permacamo for Des Moines. But now, if it can sell for doubloons, well, it can serve a higher purpose.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,722 posts
7,023 battles
14 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Tier 9 might be the place for some of them, for a month or so anyway.

Except the ability to free-retrain ends before T9 ranked will. Sure, you'll probably make far more elite captain XP than you consume in the subsequent retraining. Against this, I'm going on holiday soon; finishing T9 Ranked is a non-event for me, though I might play a few battles in the irrevocable ranks and get what I can. 

[TDRB]
Members
2,654 posts
7,644 battles

A man's got to know his limitations, to quote Dirty Harry.

Since the much needed buff to Yorck last August I've grown very fond of this ship. The Hipper is just better. But we all have different "limitations" and need to recognize them. You don't want to get on the bad side of Dirty Harry.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,722 posts
7,023 battles
7 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

The Hipper is just better.

I'm certain it is. However, Richelieu offered something very different from Lyon whereas Hipper is similar in many ways to Yorck (ABXY-layout German 8 inch cruiser). I was going to get one of them eventually, and Richie seemed the better choice. Also, I'm not exactly starved for choice in heavy cruisers at T8 or better, while the BB line could use a little fleshing out; until yesterday, Monarch was all I had.

[TDRB]
Members
2,654 posts
7,644 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'm certain it is. However, Richelieu offered something very different from Lyon whereas Hipper is similar in many ways to Yorck (ABXY-layout German 8 inch cruiser). I was going to get one of them eventually, and Richie seemed the better choice. Also, I'm not exactly starved for choice in heavy cruisers at T8 or better, while the BB line could use a little fleshing out; until yesterday, Monarch was all I had.

I'm grinding for my 1st 19pt captain. I've stopped at T8 or German & US ships & T7 on other nations until I reach that goal. I have a German BB captain at 16pts I use on the PEF, Tirpitz & Scharnhorst. I have several others commanders of varying nations in the 12 to 14 range so the 2nd will not be as long of a grind. My son & I play most nights together and we usual pick up the same ships so this time it was the Hipper. I think the Iowa is next but that will be a while.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,722 posts
7,023 battles
32 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I have a German BB captain at 16pts

The scary thing is that this is not much past halfway.

Depending on how far he is through the current point, you could still have up to 881,000 Commander XP to go.  http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander 

I found it easiest to break the task up - at 10,000 captain XP per day, that's 88 days before it happens automatically. Given that captain XP always accumulates at least as fast as ship XP, even without flags, this is actually not as terrible as it sounds. With a nightly goal that was not difficult to exceed, the grind got shorter and shorter. Then I got a week alone with Mrs and kids at grandma's, with the premium time locked up in Science of Victory available to me. That finished it. I did the final grind of 300K captain XP in a day, and after that I was sick of the game for a week and never wanted to see my Warspite, Nelson and Edinburgh again, but it was worth it after I recovered. :cap_fainting:

[TDRB]
Members
2,654 posts
7,644 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The scary thing is that this is not much past halfway.

Depending on how far he is through the current point, you could still have up to 881,000 Commander XP to go.  http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander 

I found it easiest to break the task up - at 10,000 captain XP per day, that's 88 days before it happens automatically. Given that captain XP always accumulates at least as fast as ship XP, even without flags, this is actually not as terrible as it sounds. With a nightly goal that was not difficult to exceed, the grind got shorter and shorter. Then I got a week alone with Mrs and kids at grandma's, with the premium time locked up in Science of Victory available to me. That finished it. I did the final grind of 300K captain XP in a day, and after that I was sick of the game for a week and never wanted to see my Warspite, Nelson and Edinburgh again, but it was worth it after I recovered. :cap_fainting:

I'm retired but we provide daycare for 2 of the grand kids. My 3 year-old says "go to your room grandpa" when I tease her, which is my computer room. I must obey:Smile_smile:

Thanks for reminding me how many XP I still need #@%$@#!

I play the operation of the week several times most days. I don't have the stress of randoms, the win rate is higher & you earn more XP than in coops. Plus having the PEF & Scharnhorst does help speed up the grind.

[TDG]
Members
1,650 posts
8,055 battles

I only had up to Tier 5 CVs and the two US Premiums.

I'm keeping the Premiums.  Because Premiums.

I got the compensation for the Tier 5 CVs.  I used the credits the buy the Upgrades for the Irian and for the changes I am making for Ranked.  Eventually, I will try CVs again, but that will be after I am done with Ranked.  Then I will add the CVs back to the rotation.  I figure things will have settle somewhat by then.  The Free XP is added to the pile needed for Alaska whenever they release her.

I need to re-evaluate the commanders on my Tier 9 ships.  I had one 19-point captain that I was bringing back, because he was enough stronger than the current captain to justify the cost.  Now that that cost is reduced (at least for one of the transfers), I will be looking at possibly moving more.

Just some thoughts from the few games I played last night (and from the noise on the forums), the rework is not perfect by any means, but I'm hearing nearly as many claiming CVs are OP as are claiming CVs are worthless.  Things need to settle significantly before any true assessment can be made.  The UI for Sector AA is different and requires more thought than the previous UI.  CV mechanics have completely changed.  Both sides of the interaction are in flux and the players have vastly different skill in their use.  I expect CVs in general to get stronger as the players get better at using them.  AA will also get stronger as the players learn the optimal use of that mechanic.  (I know I need more practice.  I just gave up trying for any enhancement as I was very limited in my battle time and wanted to get my targets - two containers and the first of the Daily Series - accomplished.)

There were several other changes to the UI that I am still learning to understand and incorporate into my Situation Awareness.

I will likely be running mostly Ranked and Co-op for the foreseeable future.

[PVE]
Members
14,980 posts
9,575 battles
8 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Thank you, WG, for the free re-spec AND retraining period;  

:Smile_teethhappy: Yeah, I need to buy the upgraded planes for the Ranger and replacements for all the AA upgrades that were refunded. Got credit spending happy, 317,824 credits right now, as noted in the next paragraph.

The bonus snowflakes were awesome @iKami. Please let WG know. :Smile_honoring:

My CVs got to double dip and that was very nice. With the credits & FXP refunded for the CVs, I then FXP'd the Alsace, Ibuki and Fletcher to get the 50% off T9 perma-camos. I also moved 4 Cmdrs for free (2 Alsace and one each Ibuki & Fletcher), so that was a good use of FXP and credits. Especially since each one came with a 52.5 Steel Snowflake (I'm not sure if it rounds up or down or takes into account halves).

I am slowly moving through my ~200 something Cmdrs to make sure I respec everyone who needs it. The less than 10 pointers are probably good, but I want to make sure. I have switched a few from PM to PT. This will take a while.

I only have the DM as a 19pt Cmdr and I have more than enough premiums to swap through. I'd rather not leave him somewhere else by mistake. Also make sure to retrain anyone who was in the middle of retraining for free. You go to the screen for spending 500 doubloons for retraining and it is 0 doubloons until early morning Feb 8th. That saved me like, 125k ECXP for my Iowa Cmdr I moved earlier this month.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,722 posts
7,023 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

I play the operation of the week several times most days. I don't have the stress of randoms, the win rate is higher & you earn more XP than in coops. Plus having the PEF & Scharnhorst does help speed up the grind.

I have all but given up on ops, with the exception of Cherry Blossom and Aegis, and occasional pokes at Dynamo. For various reasons, I find divisioning unreliable (as in, I would constitute an unreliable division mate) and prefer to run it as a solo player. When the furore erupted over the difficulty of Ultimate Frontier and Narai 2.0 and the number of people potato-ing even Killer Whale, I pulled back into my shell; I don't need a bunch of stress from toxic idiots who explode in rage because their flag-laden tilt at five stars for the umpteenth time that night was ruined by "noobs" screwing up and blowing the fifth star. That came to a head during the submarine op and made sure the amount of time I spent in subs was limited.

I find Randoms less stressful than that poisonous cesspit of stat-shaming, but needing dailies wins for Dreadnought and now the Minsk permacamo makes co-op my go-to these days.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,439 posts
20,366 battles
9 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Ace I am not seeing where you can do that. In "Inventory" it says they can not be sold and see no option for selling it in port. Do you have any more details on this? I have some really awful ones I want to dump for credits or doubloons, don't care. 

[PVE]
Members
14,980 posts
9,575 battles
9 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

3 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Ace I am not seeing where you can do that. In "Inventory" it says they can not be sold and see no option for selling it in port. Do you have any more details on this? I have some really awful ones I want to dump for credits or doubloons, don't care. 

I look as well and you can only sell perma-camos on CVs that you are selling back. I have perma-camo on the T6+ CVs and the T8's have Halloween perma-camo. That is why the pic below has doubloons for the tech tree CVs.

kvXoWUP.jpg

[TDRB]
Members
2,654 posts
7,644 battles

I have all but given up on ops, with the exception of Cherry Blossom and Aegis, and occasional pokes at Dynamo. For various reasons, I find divisioning unreliable (as in, I would constitute an unreliable division mate) and prefer to run it as a solo player. When the furore erupted over the difficulty of Ultimate Frontier and Narai 2.0 and the number of people potato-ing even Killer Whale

It seems to me there are good & bad times to run ops. The strange thing is it varies day to day & op to op. Kill Whale was better later in the evening Monday & Tuesday and Narai got worse as night fell yesterday. If it gets too bad I do which to coops playing solo. With my son & friends we rotate calling which mode of battle.

Edited by kgh52

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,439 posts
20,366 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

I look as well and you can only sell perma-camos on CVs that you are selling back. I have perma-camo on the T6+ CVs and the T8's have Halloween perma-camo. That is why the pic below has doubloons for the tech tree CVs.

Yeah I looked there Kiz. I didn't have the Shokuko or whatever it is called. I lost interest in IJN carriers around tier 6. I did get that Gorgon camo from a Halloween crate I bought though and it shows in inventory. I had no issue when my Lexington got sold and it sold my Nobelium (whatever it was called) camo so am guessing I have to have the ship to sell before I can dump that horrible Gorgon camo. Am wondering if I should just free xp up to that boat then sell it....

I got excited when he said you could sell some of the permanent camos, have so many god-awful ones I would like to dump like those repugnant "Bottom of the Sea" ones. I forget sometime how much terrible content Wargaming puts into the game until I go into my Inventory and have a look around... 

[PVE]
Members
14,980 posts
9,575 battles
9 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Yeah I looked there Kiz. I didn't have the Shokuko or whatever it is called. I lost interest in IJN carriers around tier 6. I did get that Gorgon camo from a Halloween crate I bought though and it shows in inventory. I had no issue when my Lexington got sold and it sold my Nobelium (whatever it was called) camo so am guessing I have to have the ship to sell before I can dump that horrible Gorgon camo. Am wondering if I should just free xp up to that boat then sell it....

I got excited when he said you could sell some of the permanent camos, have so many god-awful ones I would like to dump like those repugnant "Bottom of the Sea" ones. I forget sometime how much terrible content Wargaming puts into the game until I go into my Inventory and have a look around... 

I want to keep Shokaku, but would like to dump the Gorgon perma-camo. I like the Nobelium perma-camo just for the planes.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,439 posts
20,366 battles
3 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I want to keep Shokaku, but would like to dump the Gorgon perma-camo. I like the Nobelium perma-camo just for the planes.

Maybe if you sell it it will sell the camo and then you can rebuy the ship. You may have to rebuy the permanent camo for her but you shouldn't lose any doubloons since it gives you full value... 

[PVE]
Members
14,980 posts
9,575 battles
2 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Maybe if you sell it it will sell the camo and then you can rebuy the ship. You may have to rebuy the permanent camo for her but you shouldn't lose any doubloons since it gives you full value... 

I got the Shokaku regular perma-camo for 50% off.