You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Taylor3006

My Strategy for Dealing with 8.0

19 comments in this topic

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,452 posts
20,379 battles

Since things seem to be in flux right now and liable to change, just wanted to share my ideas of what to do until things settle down and get to a new normal.

Take advantage of the free captain skill reset and free captain retraining. I have reset ALL my captains to zero skills and assigned my best captains to those ships that I intend to eventually play. Until things settle down, I am picking just two ships to play and choosing skills for their two captains only. Since I am kind of grinding the Martel and Richelieu, going with those.

Take advantage of free module demounting. I have removed almost all modules from all my ships and put them into inventory. I am only putting them on the two ships I plan on playing. I may mount them on my French premium ships the Dunkerque and De Grasse since my French captains can use those. Everyone else sits module free in port until the new meta evolves.

Sell all my ships I don't ever plan on using again. I bought a herd of ships to take advantage of the Snowflake event and equipped them with the half price modules. I was hoping for a free module demount with the rework and guessed correctly. My Inventory is now filled with cheap modules and selling all the extra ships has built my bank balance back up to near half a billion credits. I have sold nearly 50 ships today and may get rid of a few more.

I don't care for the new carrier style of play so sold most all of mine. WARNING do not sell your tier 4 cvs. It isn't worth it and should you decide to give them a go again, you should have enough on them to immediately unlock the tier 6 ships. I sold Hosho without thinking but kept Langley. If I sell Langley I only get 14k of free xp but there is over one million ship xp on her that would be transferred to Eerie which seems pointless.  IMHO it is best to plan for the future should WoWS survive this mess.  I kept Langley and Saipan (sold all of the rest of my premium cvs) because I wanted to see the requirements and rewards with the new carrier campaign. If the rewards are good and seem doable with the new carrier play, I will farm the campaign. If the rewards are crap, I will send Saipan off to the breakers with the other premium carriers. I lose nothing and have everything to gain.

The future of WoWS seems bad right now but I remain hopeful that things will turn around eventually. I believe I have taken the steps needed to take advantage of the new changes as well as any future changes that will come. To my fellow players and forum posters, I wish you luck in the coming weeks. To Wargaming, please git gud…

Edited by Taylor3006
misspelled words
  • Cool 6

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
922 posts

I like it, except one thing:  Premium time keeps ticking away.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,452 posts
20,379 battles
1 minute ago, jmanII said:

I like it, except one thing:  Premium time keeps ticking away.

I pondered that early on and is why I decided to pick just a couple of ships to keep playing. Honestly I was disgusted enough to just stop playing and find something else to do, but like you, was bothered that my premium time would be wasted. It will take me a long time to grind out the two ships so am hoping things settle down by the time I am finished. If not, I can just pick another tech tree ship to grind or just grind captains in my premium ships. I hate the idea of wasting my premium time...

[SPCU]
Members
840 posts
5,069 battles

And remember when dealing with sky cancer to reinforce your aa sectors... took me some time to figure out how due to default keybind being o or 0 or somesuch nonsense. Ive reassigned it to G... makes shredding planes much easier when you can boost up to 180% on the side planes are inbound.

Alpha Tester
2,245 posts

Best of luck to you as well Taylor.

The CV rework is definitely not for me either as the first/third person view gave me motion sickness when I was knocking off the snowflakes of the new CVs. I'm glad WG didn't put in any screen shake effect when you receive AA fire like in War Thunder, but the planes constantly maneuvering just makes me feel nauseous. For a moment I thought I was playing World of Warplanes instead of Warships. The free captain respec and refunds are very nice though. I'll be saving the extra doubloons for the likes of Exeter and Viribus Unitis when they appear in the tech tree.

I'm still burned out from the PEF events anyway so I'll probably head back to Witcher 3 for the time being, grab a nice cold pint...

200.gif

[INTEL]
Members
10,055 posts
28,229 battles

Coop and Ranked. I don't see any point in getting in Randoms at the moment... although I admit I am enjoying the heck out of the forum right now. 

• Funny 1

[VW]
Members
2,524 posts
14,518 battles

I have to say the reward for cv was absolutely underwhelming. The got rid of my tier 7 cv for a pittance and the xp went who knows where. I got a measly amount of fxp but thats not goong into a tech tree ship. They never announced if you needed the cvs in port, but i’m pretty sure they screwed me on the tier 5 cvs.

if i was on the border of spending some cash to pick up dubloons, my mind is made up now. Nope.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,452 posts
20,379 battles
1 minute ago, monpetitloup said:

I have to say the reward for cv was absolutely underwhelming. The got rid of my tier 7 cv for a pittance and the xp went who knows where. I got a measly amount of fxp but thats not goong into a tech tree ship. They never announced if you needed the cvs in port, but i’m pretty sure they screwed me on the tier 5 cvs.

if i was on the border of spending some cash to pick up dubloons, my mind is made up now. Nope.

The compensation for the odd tiered carriers did seem light. I got like 330k from it. I do know I got boned out of some AA modules. Since I play co-op and see lots of carriers, most of my ships have the AA modules installed. When I looked in my Inventory, I had all of 3 there an none on my ships.... If they gave out credits for them I wouldn't know as it was all done automatically.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
1,371 posts
5,502 battles
11 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

The compensation for the odd tiered carriers did seem light. I got like 330k from it. I do know I got boned out of some AA modules. Since I play co-op and see lots of carriers, most of my ships have the AA modules installed. When I looked in my Inventory, I had all of 3 there an none on my ships.... If they gave out credits for them I wouldn't know as it was all done automatically.

I had 5 million credits that I didn't have yesterday so WG sold something.  I also had 14 of the aa mod 2's in inventory with empty spots on some of my ships.  I sold 10 of them as they are for tier 10 ships.  15 million, nice.  I needed the cash infusion.  Maybe my Salem could use one.

Co-op seems to be...well, not unaffected, just not trashed.  Except when I am driving a carrier.  Then it's trashed by me because I am crap.

What ops we have left are ok.  Been farming Narai and that's nice.  I will miss Dynamo.

I, too, am taking advantage of the free respec and module changing.

Edited by Captain_Slattery

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
922 posts
8 hours ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Co-op seems to be...well, not unaffected, just not trashed.  Except when I am driving a carrier.  Then it's trashed by me because I am crap.

What ops we have left are ok.  Been farming Narai and that's nice.  I will miss Dynamo.

I, too, am taking advantage of the free respec and module changing.

I argue that if you load into Co-op with even one carrier, the match is trashed....much less with 2 carriers.

Right now, carriers do not even come close to pulling their weight.  Match Maker is putting a BB in place of carriers on the Red team. 

Lets see, you load in with 2 CV's that are worthless and the bot team gets 2 more BB's?  Essentially you start 2 ships down.  Yep, that equaled 5 losses in a row for me. 

5 losses in a row......IN CO-OP, CO-OP!!!!  I can only carry so far - sunk 3-4 in each match.

Right now, the only viable game mode is Operations.

• Cool 1

[187]
Members
183 posts
15,993 battles

The tactic I find useful is to ignore the caps and focus down the targets the CV's are keeping spotted. Really easy kills and very boring but it works. I have hopes the CV frenzy will die down but have a concern that it will become 2-3 committed CV players who are now really good, every match. My fleet of DD's are on the sidelines of course.

Das Bat

[-BUI-]
Members
1,260 posts
3,176 battles

So far my method of coping has been:  Don't play anything except CV.  

Not interested in sitting at the back of the map bumping into 5 teammates so we can avoid the CV harass.    I liked the find good stealthy positions before and use superior angles and tactics....all of that is now gone since I'm spotted the ENTIRE game.    

The game I had in my Mass where I got to do 3k total damage (had nothing to shoot at) while having to avoid planes the entire game until they eventually sunk me (with an AA build!!) is the last game I'll EVER play with a surface ship until something changes radically.

I won't even bother attempting to play a DD at this point.   I'm spotting and shooting enemy DDs 30s into the game, and I got no interest on being on the DD side of that crap.

Edited by Zenn3k

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
1,371 posts
5,502 battles

A couple of little things I have noticed.

I was playing Narai and got smoked by a dd while I was trying to get the carrier that runs north on the eastern side of the map.  I killed the dd, the cl and the cv but it cost me my KG5.  I started looking closer at the enemy ships because I had plenty of time and I noticed that they were wearing camo.  Is this new?  I don't remember them ever wearing camo.

I was playing in co-op with my division mate and he said "Why doesn't the bot team have a T-61?" (the ship he was driving).  I looked and sure enough the red team had the Jervis instead of a T-61.  No mirror matchmaking.  Has anyone else seen this?

The end of mirror matchmaking would be a nice step forward for co-op.

Edited by Captain_Slattery

[187]
Members
183 posts
15,993 battles
4 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

So far my method of coping has been:  Don't play anything except CV.  

Not interested in sitting at the back of the map bumping into 5 teammates so we can avoid the CV harass.    I liked the find good stealthy positions before and use superior angles and tactics....all of that is now gone since I'm spotted the ENTIRE game.    

The game I had in my Mass where I got to do 3k total damage (had nothing to shoot at) while having to avoid planes the entire game until they eventually sunk me (with an AA build!!) is the last game I'll EVER play with a surface ship until something changes radically.

Yes, this is my next step. I have a bunch of CV's I rarely played, including a Saipan. Might as well go with the flow and become part of the problem.

Edited by BatRastardly
spelling

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,054 posts
11,346 battles

Nice plan. 

For me I will likely only reset my Cruisers. Most of my DD and BB builds will not likely change. 

I was only up to tier 7 in cv's and had the Sipan and the Kaga.

So during the first weekend I will set a bunch of commander to 0 maybe all of them not sure yet.

I will play large doses of CV for the fun and to improve my skills with them. Probably thru most of the first weekend. I will then take a breather and play ranked until it becomes too soul crushing lol. 

After that It will be back to normal ship rotation but now including CV's 

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
5 minutes ago, paradat said:

Nice plan.  

Do check any ship you drive for unmounted upgrades.  Any that had AA upgrades mounted don't now, unless you've put them back yourself.

Ran into that in Atlanta last night.  Without AA module she only gets 1 medium flak cloud, and 5 long range flak clouds.  With the module it's 3 and 7.  Pretty good difference.

Something to think about as well: With the first AA module just doing a static buff, not a percentage buff to long and medium range flak cloud numbers, isn't that kind of a diminishing returns buff?  For the higher tier ships with the other possible AA module, they do get a percentage buff, but that's at higher tiers.  For example, some lower tier cruisers have 1 flak cloud, but with the AA module, they get 3.  Nice buff! 

Edited by mavfin87

[ARGSY]
Members
10,906 posts
7,074 battles
43 minutes ago, jmanII said:

Right now, carriers do not even come close to pulling their weight.  Match Maker is putting a BB in place of carriers on the Red team. 

Quite often as high-tier a BB as the match maker will allow, which makes it even more difficult (especially when you realise only too late that the brand new Ranger your Independence turned into only has its torpedo bombers researched, not yet bought, so it's biplanes vs. Tier 8 flak. Oops!).

Normally it wouldn't be a problem, but with CV's so new and players so inexperienced, they can't yet carry their own weight and the rest of the team doesn't realise that the surface ships have to lift harder to compensate. They're still used to carriers being able to smack one or two and weaken others without too many issues. That needs time for CV players to get better, and more likely a buff to the damage the CVs deal; it's clearly not enough ATM, except possibly for carrier mains who spent all the time the PTS was available practising furiously and getting it down just right.

[WOLF4]
Members
1,533 posts
3,534 battles
10 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

Since things seem to be in flux right now and liable to change, just wanted to share my ideas of what to do until things settle down and get to a new normal.

Take advantage of the free captain skill reset and free captain retraining. I have reset ALL my captains to zero skills and assigned my best captains to those ships that I intend to eventually play. Until things settle down, I am picking just two ships to play and choosing skills for their two captains only. Since I am kind of grinding the Martel and Richelieu, going with those.

Take advantage of free module demounting. I have removed almost all modules from all my ships and put them into inventory. I am only putting them on the two ships I plan on playing. I may mount them on my French premium ships the Dunkerque and De Grasse since my French captains can use those. Everyone else sits module free in port until the new meta evolves.

Sell all my ships I don't ever plan on using again. I bought a herd of ships to take advantage of the Snowflake event and equipped them with the half price modules. I was hoping for a free module demount with the rework and guessed correctly. My Inventory is now filled with cheap modules and selling all the extra ships has built my bank balance back up to near half a billion credits. I have sold nearly 50 ships today and may get rid of a few more.

I don't care for the new carrier style of play so sold most all of mine. WARNING do not sell your tier 4 cvs. It isn't worth it and should you decide to give them a go again, you should have enough on them to immediately unlock the tier 6 ships. I sold Hosho without thinking but kept Langley. If I sell Langley I only get 14k of free xp but there is over one million ship xp on her that would be transferred to Eerie which seems pointless.  IMHO it is best to plan for the future should WoWS survive this mess.  I kept Langley and Saipan (sold all of the rest of my premium cvs) because I wanted to see the requirements and rewards with the new carrier campaign. If the rewards are good and seem doable with the new carrier play, I will farm the campaign. If the rewards are crap, I will send Saipan off to the breakers with the other premium carriers. I lose nothing and have everything to gain.

The future of WoWS seems bad right now but I remain hopeful that things will turn around eventually. I believe I have taken the steps needed to take advantage of the new changes as well as any future changes that will come. To my fellow players and forum posters, I wish you luck in the coming weeks. To Wargaming, please git gud…

I don't play without prem time myself, and i don't find the game worth anything right now much less real money. So i'm just watching the forums for now.

My solution is to play other games like the Division or the new Subnautica release. There's always options to play something else and have fun.

WG made their decision, so have i. Mine equates to no more money for WG.