You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
struha

Question about detection mechanics

8 comments in this topic

[BEARS]
Members
11 posts
11,672 battles

I'm sitting in a smokescreen with a DD.  A BB approaches,  He has no smoke or island between us, just open water.  He is visible until he is about 4-5 km away from me, then he disappears.  He doesn't reappear until he is 1.5 km away form me.  Clearly I don't understand something about detection.  Is this supposed to happen?

[NOBS]
Members
1,119 posts
8,277 battles
8 minutes ago, struha said:

I'm sitting in a smokescreen with a DD.  A BB approaches,  He has no smoke or island between us, just open water.  He is visible until he is about 4-5 km away from me, then he disappears.  He doesn't reappear until he is 1.5 km away form me.  Clearly I don't understand something about detection.  Is this supposed to happen?

Someone else has him spotted or you wouldn't see him at all sitting in smoke. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,228 posts
14,295 battles

If the BB fired within 20 seconds, he would have a very large spotting range even through smoke. After the 20 seconds were up, he'd return to normal visibility and not be visible through the smoke anymore, until he passed 2.0km from you (the guaranteed proximity spotting distance).

[RN716]
Members
42 posts
9,154 battles
10 minutes ago, struha said:

Every ship has a detection range when firing their guns, it is the exact same as the range of their guns.

Every ship also has a smoke firing detection range, based on the caliber of the ship's guns, bigger caliber means bigger smoke firing detection range.

When ships fire they receive a 20 second debuff that extends their detection either to the max range of their guns or, if concealed by smoke, to their smoke firing detection range.

Smoke works both ways. The enemy BB was probably firing his guns, and because his smoke firing detection range is well over 5km you could see him, but after his 20 second smoke firing debuff ended he stopped shooting. Your own smoke was preventing you from seeing him after his smoke firing debuff ended.

You re-spotted him at 2km because he entered your assured detection range. This is the range that you will spot enemy ships and they will spot you, whether it be through smoke, islands, whatever; no matter what you will spot enemy ships at 2km minimum. It showed as 1.5km on your screen because there is a render delay between when a ship is actually spotted and when it appears on screen.

[BEARS]
Members
11 posts
11,672 battles

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. 

I'm still a little confused about how my sitting in smoke affects my ability to detect him.  

If I can't see him when I am sitting in smoke, even if he is within normal detection range, fine.  But why does his firing his guns make a difference?  Shouldn't he still be invisible to me?

[RN716]
Members
42 posts
9,154 battles
28 minutes ago, struha said:

If I can't see him when I am sitting in smoke, even if he is within normal detection range, fine.  But why does his firing his guns make a difference?  Shouldn't he still be invisible to me?

When line of sight is blocked on ships by a smokescreen and one of the ships that is concealed by the smoke fires, the firing ship's detection radius will become their smoke firing detection radius. Because the average smoke firing detection radius is 10km+ for battleships, and you were within 5km of him at the time, you could spot him even though there was a smoke (your smoke) blocking vision.

The average DD smoke firing detection radius is around 2.5km-3.5km; this is why you, as a DD, can shoot from your own smoke at other ships and not be spotted. You can find the specific value for whatever ship you are in by pressing 'H' during a match.