You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Dumb CV questions

11 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
10,858 posts

I stopped playing oh, back in November I think, so my skills now are even worse than before. Having said that, I came back specifically to try out the carriers. I haz questions and comments, of course. 

A. Why can't I (apparently) control my CV course by routing it on the mini-map? Why must I (apparently) have to invoke "map mode"? If it's like that, bad call. If not, then maybe my key assignments are wrong? 

B. Coop - no longer matching teams? I went to coop to not only try out the new CV's but to fight against them with non-cv's. Is it true now the reds won't have CV's? We had two, they got two BB instead. If it's true - how does one engage red CVs in coop if they won't be any? If this is true - must be because they couldn't figure out how to program the new interface effectively, yah?

C. Referring to A... why didn't you leave the carrier assigned to 1 and start all aircraft at 2? If you had, I could have selected 1, then manually controlled her course and speed when under attack. Maybe I'm missing something?

D. Aircraft altitude - no provision to change altitude? Or did I miss that memo? I should either have total flight control or no flight control. Why not allow me to bring all my aircraft in on the deck?

E. Speaking of aircraft control... how about you change the programmed flight paths so those aircraft not participating in the attack remain to the rear of the attack, instead of flying directly over and beyond the target? IRL you know they would come in waves, not fly over, drop flowers and wave. 

F. Finally - for now - how come I can't manually target aircraft when I'm on my ship? Or can I? 

I think that's enuff dumb questions for the time being. Thanks all. 

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Privateers
2,224 posts
11,779 battles
1 minute ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I stopped playing oh, back in November I think, so my skills now are even worse than before. Having said that, I came back specifically to try out the carriers. I haz questions and comments, of course. 

A. Why can't I (apparently) control my CV course by routing it on the mini-map? Why must I (apparently) have to invoke "map mode"? If it's like that, bad call. If not, then maybe my key assignments are wrong? 

B. Coop - no longer matching teams? I went to coop to not only try out the new CV's but to fight against them with non-cv's. Is it true now the reds won't have CV's? We had two, they got two BB instead. If it's true - how does one engage red CVs in coop if they won't be any? If this is true - must be because they couldn't figure out how to program the new interface effectively, yah?

C. Referring to A... why didn't you leave the carrier assigned to 1 and start all aircraft at 2? If you had, I could have selected 1, then manually controlled her course and speed when under attack. Maybe I'm missing something?

D. Aircraft altitude - no provision to change altitude? Or did I miss that memo? I should either have total flight control or no flight control. Why not allow me to bring all my aircraft in on the deck?

E. Speaking of aircraft control... how about you change the programmed flight paths so those aircraft not participating in the attack remain to the rear of the attack, instead of flying directly over and beyond the target? IRL you know they would come in waves, not fly over, drop flowers and wave. 

F. Finally - for now - how come I can't manually target aircraft when I'm on my ship? Or can I? 

A- when game starting with the count down, you can select M map view and select 5 point for CV to move. Prefer study the map and plan your routes, you don't have much time with the count down

B-don't care as much to answer because right now it is more important to learn the basic control of CV's planes and make perfect attack runs

C-It not a newly rework for a reason isn't it? I say the re work working as intended. So now you can learn that 1 is fighter 2 is torp and 3 dive bomb. Everyone have to learn the basic anyway. No big deal

D-you can use WASD, if you want to change altitude, you can press and hold left mouse as it go into aiming mode, don't press right mouse as it change from aiming to attack mode. If you want to get back to the normal altitude, re lease the left mouse

E-WASD hack ??? you controlling them like you control the ships

F-aa defend is automatic. WoWs had done a good job in DUMPING all the micro management down to the most simple basic so that no more CV players complaining about how complicated micro management it is anymore.

Bonus: do more practices in co-op, don't play random as new play cv will be a disadvantage to your team.

[PQUOD]
Members
1,927 posts
9,406 battles
8 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

F. Finally - for now - how come I can't manually target aircraft when I'm on my ship? Or can I

I think you have to have full AA spec now to manually target aircraft

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,058 posts

Ryujo has AP Bombs !!!!!

I wrecked a couple BBs..  Surprise.. surprise..

01_30_19_Ryujo_1st_A.jpg

[TBW]
Members
7,567 posts
13,816 battles
19 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

If this is true - must be because they couldn't figure out how to program the new interface effectively, yah?

B. You are correct and some scenarios are taken out of the line up for the same reasons. Work in progress according to Fem's twitter today.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
849 posts
14,844 battles
23 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

That's no longer a thing. Now you can hold your O or `(tilde) key and click on the wheel to shift your AA concentration to one side of your ship.

[TBW]
Members
7,567 posts
13,816 battles
20 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Press the Tilde button, the one left of the number 1, it looks like this ~. That will put an over lay on your screen and you choose which side of the ship you want to concentrate your AA. I think it takes like 15 (maybe 11) seconds to switch to the other side.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
10,858 posts

Thanks one and all for answering my dumb questions. Going to give it another go today. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,247 posts
14,314 battles
17 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

The AI doesn't know how to play new CV yet, so they sub in a battleship for co-op.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
10,858 posts

imo, it's too bad the bots dont field a carrier... makes it a challenge to practice play against one. :cap_win:

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
10,858 posts

Okay - thanks everyone for round one answers.... now comes round TWO of Dumb CV questions...

Issue now comes down to aiming... 

Why for example do I have the standard aiming reticle from surface ships when I'm flying aircraft, each with their own means of targeting. Which of course, don't activate until you LMB then only allow a certain amount of time to "make the run" before they're no good. So anyone know of a way to turn off the "main" aiming reticle? 

Or better yet tell me of a good use for it other than determining range on a target. 

The more important dumb question for me may be an essay for you. :cap_haloween:

Torpedo minimum arming range... I make sure to drop torp prior to reaching the "yellow" or is it orange minimum aiming marker on the torpedo aiming/arming reticle. Yet more than once I watch the torpedoes pass underneath ship without detonating, let alone going full dud on the side of the ship. Why wouldn't a non-armed torp hit the side of a ship? Why wouldn't they arm in the first place if I'm dropping prior to the line indicating they won't arm? 

I fully admit this somewhat confuses me. It seems a torp dropped before you are too close ought to arm. If it doesn't arm it ought to at least go bump against the hull and not pass beneath the ship. 

Don't tell me they are DW torps?