Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

CE and BBs in the New World Order

3 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
3,211 posts
11,229 battles

Haven't played a lot of games but I am starting to think CE on a BB may be of minimal use. Seems I am fairly constantly detected by aircraft, even when not being attacked. No real chance to go dark. At least not for long. 

Would taking AFT be a better use of 4 points?

[UN1]
Members
565 posts
2,065 battles
10 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Haven't played a lot of games but I am starting to think CE on a BB may be of minimal use. Seems I am fairly constantly detected by aircraft, even when not being attacked. No real chance to go dark. At least not for long. 

CE is still useful.  It's just not the end-all-be-all that it was before.  In the beginning of the game, CVs light up the entire map.  You know where the enemy team is going, you know how many DDs are coming to your way, and because the enemy team knows all that about you, you're dodging high caliber artillery rounds.  As CVs get deplaned and/or killed off as you move into the mid to later game, CE starts to become a lot more useful.  If you're looking for skills that are useful 100% of the time, it's the skills that reduce active damage:  Fire Prevention, Basics of Survivability, DCSM2, etc.  You could also throw in Superintendent and High Alert, too.  Oh!  And that legendary module for the Montana?  It's very useful now.

Overall, I find this very healthy for the game.  The game was very stagnant in that every single battleship played best with exactly the same build.  Get CE, FP, BoS, SI, AR, PT, and whatever else you wanted and call it a day.  That's great when I play my Musashi, as that's what it's built for, but it's super boring for ships that were originally intended to capitalize on other strengths.  Now the USS Iowa gets to showcase her main strength.  Players have to choose whether they want to go maximum defensive build or invest in auxiliary armaments to bolster their AA or Secondary gameplay.  I love this.  This is so much more engaging than it was before.

• Cool 1

[UN1]
Members
565 posts
2,065 battles
54 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

To answer your question specifically though, it really depends on what ship you're playing.  AFT buffs the damage on the flak clouds of your AA by 15%.  Those are avoidable by CVs, but they also do the most damage if a CV runs into one.  For brawling specs, this is a no brainer, but it doesn't affect the range of your AA anymore.  On the other hand, Manual AA will buff both portions of your AA damage by an additional 25% in that sector. 

Honestly, I think if you were to throw a bone to your AA potential, Manual AA is going to give you more return on investment. 

On the other hand, if you're a more pure gunboat, like a Musashi or Kronshtadt, then I think FP is going to give you better bang for your buck.

Sign in to follow this