Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
cmdr_bigdog

side effects of cv change

8 comments in this topic

[POP]
[POP]
Members
204 posts
10,539 battles

The 8.0 game play is one thing but for me there is a side effect. I used to research captain skills, ship set ups and make changes on a regular basis. I would decide which ship to play based upon how I felt that day and after a game or two change based on how the player base was playing.  I had he full spectrum of my 83 ships to play. Now I go best aa ship with full aa. When I don't play AA ships with full aa I get targeted and taken out of play.

I don't want to lose so I basically play 3 ships. I was playing 10-11 games a day. At the end of the first day I realize todays play has evolved where at first I played 4 games in a row, took a break then it was play a couple games, then go read the forum , pick up a book and stay away for an hour or two. Then its play one game I have won 6 of 8 so its not a losing streak. 

The other decisions were taken away, the captain skills are limited, the other ships may as well not exist. I realize in one day I have changed away from a compulsion to get heavily involved in every facet of the game. 

I am getting bored with the non-play port decisions that I used to enjoy and it transfers over to my urge to play.  

[WGA]
Administrator
1,259 posts
508 battles

Your perspective is totally understandable and today was certainly incredibly AA heavy (most of what I did today was play AA build ships).  We anticipate over time this is going to settle a little and I think you'll find you can have a pivotal role without an AA spec just like you used to.  

• Cool 1

[POP]
[POP]
Members
204 posts
10,539 battles

When the US cruiser line split things were screwy for nearly two months. That could happen this time.

Or worse yet your change could be full successful.

There could be enough players that like cvs to maintain this number of carriers thus requiring full aa ships for the foreseeable future.

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles
52 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

Your perspective is totally understandable and today was certainly incredibly AA heavy (most of what I did today was play AA build ships).  We anticipate over time this is going to settle a little and I think you'll find you can have a pivotal role without an AA spec just like you used to.  

I definitely agree. I think it's the sheer volume of people trying out the CVs, and when the "shiny new stuff" hype dies down, we'll get a better sense of the meta. As it stands, I have 2 captains per ship for ships that I play regularly - 1 specialized for Anti-Aircraft, and 1 specialized for Anti-Destroyer action. Needless to say, the AA captains are finally getting to play.

[PVE]
Members
353 posts

I believe in the beginning Co-op was intended to be like a training room but it's morphed into a place where many players feel more comfortable playing, I prefer playing Operations and Co-op being old and beat up with diminishing skill levels, its my preferred game play ;) but now I'm in there wrecking everyone's game trying to hit ANYTHING with the CV reworked targeting. Random and Co-op are now in PTS mode 

[NGA]
Members
19 posts
15,419 battles
13 hours ago, Radar_X said:

I am interested as to whether Europe/Asia servers and server play faired similarly/differently.  While European play can be a bit more static than NA (which would suit some of the gameplay changes), I wonder how Asia fared.

Any insight?

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
71 posts
21,044 battles

I am not sure premium cv's like the Kaga are viable at all. Lots of low tier planes when you are at tier or in T10 games means you cant contribute at all other than scouting. This is even true when going up against DD's. You get 1 attack run at most. (Or at least I do) I even popped the figter consumable to distract the AA, but to no avail. I do suck at new CV play, but not contributing at all is a bit much.

[CVA16]
Members
3,220 posts
11,236 battles

One problem with the rework and the plague of CVs that has befallen each game is the choice on ships, modules and captain skills are pretty much taken away. We are forced to only play ships with decent AA and make the expensive commitment in skills and modules to buff that AA. So all our efforts now center on being able to blunt the attacks of a single ship type. All that commitment and we still have almost no chance of actually scratching the paint on our tormentors. Plus it is a build that a few volleys of HE or rockets will render pretty much useless. Secondary builds had the same drawback, but that was a choice where players wanted the option to do more damage to the enemy. Not a matter of survival. No other set of skills can be completely neutered by common damage.  Towards the end of the match, most ships will have their AA drastically reduced. The CVs can still be sitting safely out of sight putting up full squadrons.

CVs are immune to the significant permanent damage that other ships endure. I've lost turrets on my Richeleiu, permanently reducing my fire power by half (lost them both once). I've lost torpedo tubes on Cossack and Akizuki so no more torps for the rest of the game. CVs are not subject to any such dangers. Even the short duration fires no longer shut down air-ops.

Maybe with all these frustrations, it is time to take a break. My wife will love the CV rework.

Sign in to follow this