Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
WuYixiang

0.8.0 - Cruiser Anti-Aircraft

14 comments in this topic

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles

After the first few 0.8.0 games left a horrible impression on me, I decided to bring out an old favorite of mine - Aoba - and see how her anti-aircraft fire fares against the new carriers.

In this game, I spent much of the battle pushing alongside a Gneisenau, and for a time, I broke off to hunt a CV that got too close to our battle line. The imminent threat of a CA ganking a CV turned both carriers' squadrons on me, and I found that when used correctly, sector AA when paired with DefAA II and Fighter II really tears through strike aircraft, even for a nation with notoriously poor AA capabilities.

It was also during this battle that my biggest sector AA gripe came up:  I was forced to use the cumbersome sector UI to enhance and change sectors. Even though I survived to help capture the enemy base, I found the UI clunky and borderline unusable in the heat of battle.

My suggestion is this:  allow for a keybind to toggle sector AA from port to starboard (and vice versa) like 'P' turns AA on and off. That way, sector switching becomes a lot more fluid and doesn't cover the whole screen, allowing for more dynamic surface ship play. It's difficult to fire guns, drop torpedoes, and manage AA sectors all at the same time, and I think this QoL change would really benefit aggressive play like the match in question.

Side note:  For those wondering, my build for this game was as follows:

Captain (14 points):  Direction Center for Fighters, Last Stand, Basic Firing Training, Advanced Firing Training, Manual Fire Control for AA Armament

Upgrades:  Main Armaments Mod 1, Propulsion Mod 1, Aiming Systems Mod 1, Steering Gears Mod 2

Consumables:  Damage Control Party II, Defensive AA Fire II, Fighter II

Signal Flags:  None

shot-19.01.30_20.21.36-0849.jpg

20190130_203522.jpg

Edited by WuYixiang
Added build for battle.
  • Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
8,972 posts
10,828 battles

I have heard that the effectiveness of various AA gun’s was shuffled up, so so guns that did not shoot down many planes in the past perhaps because they were larger caliber and slow rate of fire can create AA Flak now, meanwhile some of the machine guns or other rapid fire low caliber AA guns that kept the skies clear may now be far less useful.

Beta Testers
1,581 posts
8,052 battles
Just now, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I have heard that the effectiveness of various AA gun’s was shuffled up, so so guns that did not shoot down many planes in the past perhaps because they were larger caliber and slow rate of fire can create AA Flak now, meanwhile some of the machine guns or other rapid fire low caliber AA guns that kept the skies clear may now be far less useful.

This is very true, ships that are extremely heavy on short range AA are probably not as effective comparatively.  In large part due to the module that significantly buffs the number of flak bubbles.

On the other hand, it's not useless especially when combined with sectoring, Manual AA, and the AA mount HP buff.  Ships like Yamato can't stop torpedo attacks too well, especially if they aren't dropped point blank but you don't know futility until you're trying to dive bomb a Yamato using Kaga DBs.  Cross the 1.9km mark and those planes start evaporating.

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
9 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Looks like anything 37mm and up can create flak clouds.

Go look at Furu, for example.  1 flak cloud from the 120mm guns.  Add the AA module, that makes 3 clouds.  i.e. module 1 is a static increase, so adding it triples the flak from Furu.  And, Furu has no medium flak, so long range covers from 1.9 to 5.2.  

Cleveland, otoh, goes from 7 med 5 long to 9 med 7 long.  An increase, but not as big percentage-wise.   Using the static increase makes almost a diminishing returns effect.

Then there's a full AA Missouri: 10 long 14 mid range clouds.

Edited by mavfin87

[RKLES]
Members
8,972 posts
10,828 battles
4 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

This is very true, ships that are extremely heavy on short range AA are probably not as effective comparatively.  In large part due to the module that significantly buffs the number of flak bubbles.

On the other hand, it's not useless especially when combined with sectoring, Manual AA, and the AA mount HP buff.  Ships like Yamato can't stop torpedo attacks too well, especially if they aren't dropped point blank but you don't know futility until you're trying to dive bomb a Yamato using Kaga DBs.  Cross the 1.9km mark and those planes start evaporating.

Yeah Yammy does have a ton of those 25mm close range guns lol.

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles
5 hours ago, mavfin87 said:

Looks like anything 37mm and up can create flak clouds.

Go look at Furu, for example.  1 flak cloud from the 120mm guns.  Add the AA module, that makes 3 clouds.  i.e. module 1 is a static increase, so adding it triples the flak from Furu.  And, Furu has no medium flak, so long range covers from 1.9 to 5.2.  

Cleveland, otoh, goes from 7 med 5 long to 9 med 7 long.  An increase, but not as big percentage-wise.   Using the static increase makes almost a diminishing returns effect.

Then there's a full AA Missouri: 10 long 14 mid range clouds.

37mm+? So the 40mm Bofors and Pom Poms found on basically every USN and RN ship can produce flak, huh?

I'm a little confused about why I see so many USN and RN cruiser players complaining about the ineffectiveness of their AA.

[GT99]
Members
573 posts
7,593 battles

Yeah, USN cruisers lost their flavor. They were known for good AA....aaaaaaannnnndddd now their not. Other nations are outpacing them and now they are behind the curve. They don't have their good AA and no torpedos so the only thing going for them now is island firing for the most part.

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles
10 hours ago, T1mb3rWo1f said:

Yeah, USN cruisers lost their flavor. They were known for good AA....aaaaaaannnnndddd now their not. Other nations are outpacing them and now they are behind the curve. They don't have their good AA and no torpedos so the only thing going for them now is island firing for the most part.

To be fair, the island firing is hugely obnoxious.

Also the enhanced 203 ricochet angles on the CAs (shared with RN CLs).

[KTFO]
Beta Testers
333 posts
7,681 battles

Here's a fun example for you. 

In my Worchester that is full AA spec, 19 point captain, AA module and I even had the flag on.  I managed my sectors, I used my defensive fire on cooldown unless the squadrons were light (useless now thanks to the F button) 

I am sitting next to (less than 1km) a friendly Fletcher in the cap behind an island.  We are focused by 2 tier 8 CVs.   At the end of the onslaught...He had 25 plane kills, my ship that was DESIGNED by the Navy to be an AA ship got a whopping 7 tier 8 plane kills...

[GT99]
Members
573 posts
7,593 battles
2 hours ago, WuYixiang said:

To be fair, the island firing is hugely obnoxious.

Also the enhanced 203 ricochet angles on the CAs (shared with RN CLs).

But this would be akin to removing a flavor and/or gimmick from all the other lines. So what do you propose to be removed from all the other lines? You can't just [edited] one line and not [edited] the other.

Members
1,156 posts
8,080 battles
1 hour ago, XxX_BlindSide_XxX said:

Here's a fun example for you. 

In my Worchester that is full AA spec, 19 point captain, AA module and I even had the flag on.  I managed my sectors, I used my defensive fire on cooldown unless the squadrons were light (useless now thanks to the F button) 

I am sitting next to (less than 1km) a friendly Fletcher in the cap behind an island.  We are focused by 2 tier 8 CVs.   At the end of the onslaught...He had 25 plane kills, my ship that was DESIGNED by the Navy to be an AA ship got a whopping 7 tier 8 plane kills...

The fletcher was kill stealing those plane kills. :Smile_popcorn:

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles
17 minutes ago, T1mb3rWo1f said:

But this would be akin to removing a flavor and/or gimmick from all the other lines. So what do you propose to be removed from all the other lines? You can't just [edited] one line and not [edited] the other.

RN CLs are similarly boned without their AA.

IJN CAs were always painfully vanilla.

I don't know the other cruiser lines enough to care.

[GT99]
Members
573 posts
7,593 battles
1 minute ago, WuYixiang said:

RN CLs are similarly boned without their AA.

IJN CAs were always painfully vanilla.

I don't know the other cruiser lines enough to care.

Look, I understand what you are saying and I agree, but it is a gimmick or flavor of USN ships to have decent AA. They don't have that now so it would be like taking accuracy or torps away from IJN ships or fire from RN battleships or whatever other flavor or gimmick you can think of. When you watch a Donskoi outperform a USN ship in shooting planes down and the CV driver questioning why the Donskoi is a no-fly zone and the USN ship is weak, then they have been broken.

[KTFO]
Beta Testers
333 posts
7,681 battles
2 hours ago, Rouxi said:

The fletcher was kill stealing those plane kills. :Smile_popcorn:

That doesn't make it right.  In fact thats even worse.  It means while I am doing the lions share of the work im getting none of the reward since plane damage doesnt seem to count

Sign in to follow this