You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
OseanTanker

Atlanta... Horrible AA?

17 comments in this topic

[KWA]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
4,859 battles

I was excited to take my Atlanta out for a spin with the sudden surge in CV population. I was thoroughly disappointed and disgusted in how pitiful it was. Stock, her massive battery of 5" guns only puts out 5 flak bursts, 7 with the module. This is the same as the Cleveland, which has two less 5" turrets. Now that the long range stops when they reach the mid range, it is laughable as the Atlanta has horrible mid range. It was always about its 5" batteries, which now just stop firing because reasons. That leaves it with 4 Chicago Pianos for its mid range and 8x1 20mm for its short...

Maybe I am missing something. I had a full AA build minus AFT (don't have the points yet) and was struggling to shoot down tier 6 planes with DFAA up and a 150% sector reinforcement.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,299 posts
14,422 battles

ATLANTA with bft, aft & manual AA....

8 planes shot down vs a t10 & t8 cv.

5.8 AA range....

To add insult to injury,  was one-shotted by an Izumo rushing me from island side....

He was at 4.1 km....

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
4,299 posts
14,422 battles

I believe not being able to extend our normal AA to what it was before is going to leave huge gaps in AA.

Those dual purpose guns seem less dual purpose now.

Members
1,890 posts
9,820 battles

Hey

They really screwed the game when they did away with the 20% range increase in AA with AFT.  They should have left AFT and concealment for all ships alone.  Even with a ship with DFAA; I can't tell a difference of when it active, no call-outs, no audible increase in rate of fire.  Really seems quite lame.

Pete 

[SYN]
Members
15,330 posts
12,155 battles

I wonder what captain build or tactics the CV was using, because my 15pt Ranger gets its aircraft decimated by Atlanta, even when I avoid the flak puffs.

Edited by MrDeaf

[RNF]
Beta Testers
419 posts
6,350 battles

If there's changes, I would just want two:

Up the amoutn of flak bursts from 5 to 10 with long range aura.

And yeet the medium aura away, because it's literally worthless.

That's all.

[YEET]
Members
56 posts
4,727 battles

They won't care they already took our money. If you want an AA ship now... buy the Kidd! Which they conveniently just put in the premium shop and are advertising.  Coincidence? I think not

Now open your wallet and buy Kidd before they nerf it to being useless in the AA Roll

Members
1,890 posts
9,820 battles
9 hours ago, Zelinko said:

They won't care they already took our money. If you want an AA ship now... buy the Kidd! Which they conveniently just put in the premium shop and are advertising.  Coincidence? I think not

Now open your wallet and buy Kidd before they nerf it to being useless in the AA Roll

Hey

And even this Kidd is a Nerf'd capability version of what it used to be since you don't get the 20% AA range increase from taking AFT.   They screwed everyone by changing how BFT, AFT, manual AA works.  At least with DD's you don't get a straight up concealment Nerf, although with all of the carrier based spotting these days, that's questionable.  The most airplanes I have shot down in my Kidd with a 17pt captain, is 17 and I still died to rocket planes late in the game.

Pete

Edited by sasquatch_research

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
3,170 posts
4,934 battles

AA in the game as it is now is a lot less about how you spec it in port, and more on how you manage it during a match. Atlanta is perfectly capable of holding off aircraft these days, it all depends on how you time sector reinforcement, DFAA, and position yourself relative to the planes.

Also with flak-dodging the AA ball is now more in the carrier player's court, the amount of planes that you shoot down will largely depend on your OPPONENT'S skill as a result.

[CAPT]
Members
30 posts
5,782 battles

In addition to the AA being broken, anyone notice that we're back to where we were with turrets constantly getting knocked out?

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
3,170 posts
4,934 battles
2 hours ago, erco said:

In addition to the AA being broken, anyone notice that we're back to where we were with turrets constantly getting knocked out?

Atlanta's always had a case of turret-less syndrome, haven't noticed it any more than usual these last few patches.  Those 5"/38s are pretty easy to knock out.

[CAPT]
Members
30 posts
5,782 battles
16 hours ago, Landsraad said:

Atlanta's always had a case of turret-less syndrome, haven't noticed it any more than usual these last few patches.  Those 5"/38s are pretty easy to knock out.

It seems like it got worse since the CV rework... thanks for the perspective!

[LOU1]
Members
3,595 posts
9,562 battles

Some things to note are:

AA is in the midst of being tuned.  It has swung between extremes with each micropatch and it is very dependent on tier; they said they are trying to fix that.  For example, we just lost some of the flak burst - probably too many.

WOWS gives rewards to encourage people to play ships they want to test.  Atlanta is the ship of the week and in every directive.

• Cool 1

[TACG]
Alpha Tester
479 posts
3,802 battles

When I play carrier I make general rule for myself, stay away from Atlanta. So, I haven't really noticed any changes with the Atlanta. I've used her a few times but every time there was no Carrier, so that doesn't say much.

[HINON]
Members
419 posts
3,479 battles

Sorry about the thread necro

[-TNT-]
Members
689 posts
10,199 battles
On 1/30/2019 at 8:30 PM, OseanTanker said:

I was excited to take my Atlanta out for a spin with the sudden surge in CV population. I was thoroughly disappointed and disgusted in how pitiful it was. Stock, her massive battery of 5" guns only puts out 5 flak bursts, 7 with the module. This is the same as the Cleveland, which has two less 5" turrets. Now that the long range stops when they reach the mid range, it is laughable as the Atlanta has horrible mid range. It was always about its 5" batteries, which now just stop firing because reasons. That leaves it with 4 Chicago Pianos for its mid range and 8x1 20mm for its short...

Maybe I am missing something. I had a full AA build minus AFT (don't have the points yet) and was struggling to shoot down tier 6 planes with DFAA up and a 150% sector reinforcement.

This is my Captain Kidd build that I use on the Atlanta and Kidd.  Due to the limited 19 points I had to forego CE. WG seemed to over looked shortfalls to AA after the the CV rework meta.  So unless you spec BFT/AFT/MFC along with modules and DFAA build, CVs will enjoy playing with you.  There's two ways to fix this either increase captain skill points to 21 or move MFCAA to tier one level. 

Captain Kidd skills.png

Edited by Kestrel_Falcon