You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_5th_Muddog

CV's suck so bad now

123 comments in this topic

[-_W_-]
Beta Testers
1 post
5,205 battles

As a US CV player, I can do similar damage like Flavius, but at T10 and T8 the Divebombers are a money sink.  All your money will be in Tiny Tim rockets on the Attacker.  Torps are iffy (I get lucky if I score 1-2 a match) while I can easily score around 50 some rocket hits.  The Tiny Tims against cruisers and BBs is about 5-9k a strafe, they're fast and tough enough to make the run and escape and actually use all their attack flights.  The issue I'm having is the torp bombers are so slow that they get killed after the first run, and DB have to get so close and have terrible tracking (once it goes into 'zoom' mode, you can't track the target if it moves out of the way like you can with Attackers and Torp Bombers).

I do agree that CVs are definitely underperforming since the rework (and I did the PTS), as well as AA being way too overtuned against their single squadrons.  The AA made sense when planes were super powerful before the rework, but it makes no sense now with how less of a presence carriers have now.

[TF16A]
Beta Testers
1 post
4,890 battles

After reading the above comments, I agree with some but not all of them. I like the new CV rework but the AA is a bit too overpowered at the moment. Let's not forget that the real testing is now, they can only tweak so much on the test server. Give  WG time to finalized testing, and let's be part of the solution, not part of the problem!

Members
22 posts
On 1/30/2019 at 4:01 PM, C6tom said:

I have to play more matches before I pass my final judgment but I my first impressions are inline with yours in terms of carriers effectiveness. The cries for AA buffs made AA way too strong. 

I disagree, I can consistently get 90,000 to 100000 damage per game which is better than I usually do in my battleships or destroyers... from what I can tell it is definitely an experience issue and not a mechanics issue

EDIT: Downvote all you want but that won't change my Enterprise's 80% winrate lmbo

Edited by Zapstone
  • Cool 3

Beta Testers
1,944 posts
7,332 battles
11 hours ago, Tyranthrax said:

I put a large part of the blame on the Community contributors. They posted videos of them playing against bots in the play testing and were like "look how easy it is to avoid the aa" it's nothing like this in a match. esp being under 2 ranks.

This will go down as the NGE of world of warships.

It's inconsistent... But it's not nearly nge levels of bad.

When you get a Dev doing an interview so bad his career literally ends afterwards then it'll be nge levels of bad.

Also, I'm fairly sure most players here don't even know what the nge was (too young and never touched swg if they've even heard of it)

Edited by Shadeylark

[ASHIP]
Members
77 posts
7,382 battles

I dont know this rework is pretty bad right now, every game I played last night either has a cv or a dd, the cvs were at the bottom every match and only one time did I even see a cv sink a ship and that was a midway.  Plus the mechanics of the cv rework are just crap for me at least, i dont like it.  Just not fun for me right now,  Ill keep trying for awhile and see if it gets better,  but i dont play Pc games for console style game play and thats what this is plain and simple,  On a side not the graphics are pretty good at least 

Edited by JamesZ28

[_JSS_]
Members
17 posts

This new CV is so horrible it is not funny. Can only control the ship once the planes are landed, so [edited]STUPID. Bring back the old CV play. Remove this unfinished CV rework. Rethimk how bad you have made CV and fix things.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
22 posts
7,025 battles

Yes I agree with all the others and will simply state it with no long winded essay.

YES THE CV GAMEPLAY NOW SUCKS SO BAD !!!

I am an original WOW BETA tester and quit WOTs because of the ridiculous 3 tier games that were so unbalanced !!

I have been using my Ranger in COOP all morning and gameplay is terrible even against a bot ship.  My entire squad of planes get killed by AA in seconds now!

GO BACK TO THE OLD CV GAMEPLAY PLEASE AND RETWEEK THAT !!!!

• Cool 1

[F4E]
Members
68 posts
17,635 battles

In addition, playing a non-CV used to be fun. Now, the WHOLE game is just about dodging continuous air attacks. I imagine that in the near future non-cv players will stop playing all together and the carriers will only have each other to target. There are too many planes and WAY TO MANY CV's in a game. Where once I was addicted to this game you have now provided the key to allow me to quit. I may play in events that do not have CV's, like clan battles but in the mean time you have lost a player, a revenue source and a promoter. Go back to the old CV format, but eliminate strafing and limit the number of squadrons in the air to 3 at one time.

• Cool 1

Members
14 posts
13,758 battles

I was not an elite CV player but I have over 2K games in CV's... And I was looking forward to the new rework. But after playing a few games and I know the rework is only just out. But I am just totally ineffective. I don't know if I can hit anything just yet because I can't get a plane NEAR a ship. Constantly getting my whole Kaga 12 squadrons shot to pieces time after time. Like its not even funny anymore. The thing is even if I get into a bad spot I can't get away from the AA and flack in time. I plan to keep plugging away at it ... but this is not fun its just very very frustrating. I'm winning a few games but not because I contributed in any way... Mostly 0 points and massive plane losses. Last game I lost 67 planes managed to sink 1 ship a dd who was already trashed. and it was just blind luck he sailed into the torp. No skill on my part.

I know players were worried about the new rework hurting the game balance... and being too OP lol but they have nothing to fear from me in a CV anymore.

I feel like a flock of Geese during hunting season now. I got every HP buff and stealth for them and they still drop like flies. And a Kaga in T 10 forget it lol. Not being Salty just trying to convey my experience. And my total incompetence with the New CV's. IIIDK maybe its me so like I said I'll keep plugging away. Looked fun in the test room watcking the supertesters or CC's dropping Bots :) Oh well

Members
38 posts
16,411 battles

Well they listened to those that wanted fighters the ability to strafe ships, but they are not called fighters anymore (even though the profile module list actual carrier fighters), but attack aircraft with a special ability to shoot unguided rockets - it really has become a pure arcade game, at least from the cv end of things.  Talk about spreading misinformation about history...

Edited by Halus
  • Cool 1

[POP]
Members
552 posts
6,402 battles

I played in the PTR version 1 and 2 and have now played about a dozen matches (half co-op and half randoms).  The planes are lasting much longer now than they did in the PTR but the AA still needs tweaking.  The problem I see is WG seems to be trying to protect the derps than run off solo with no map awareness in ships with minimal aa so they cannot be one shot by a smart cv.  They buffed the single ship aa/nerf'd the planes to stop this from happening however in doing so made smart players in ships that have AA and stack with other ships with aa virtually untouchable.  Trying to avoid flak while aiming and maneuvering ship makes landing a single torp/bomb very challenging.  Normally that would not be an issue however the damage has been nerf'd so badly that you cant get much done only landing one bomb at a time.  The sad part is the Derps are still dying (just takes longer) and are still whining that cv's are OP rather than realize they are only failing themselves.  I predict it is going to get even worse for them now as cv's realize these players are the only viable targets and begin harassing them first every time.

I have been opposed to this rework form the start.  I think it was unintentionally heavy handed but I went along and have been giving it a fair shot.  So far I am still unimpressed.  I think WG have backed themselves into a corner now having to try to appease the surface ship masses at the expense of those who were dedicated to playing CV's.  The problem is if they are truly balanced cv's will still be able to kill ships and captains in those ships will relentlessly cry that no ship in the game should be able to kill them as easily as it did when in actuality 99% of the reason they died was because they actually suck at the game and either refuse to or are unable to get any better at it.  The only way to prevent a cv form killing a dummy in a musashi who is all alone on the edge of the map is to nerf it to the point that it can no longer hurt anything.  The sad part is it would only keep him alive long enough for that next dd to come along and torp him at with point he will be on the forums crying for dd's to be nerf'd.

The only solutions I can see is either reduce single ships aa or remove the ability for aa to stack (create a max value for aa in any given area).  Surface ship captains say no cv should be able to one shot any other ship in the game,  well I'll agree but no ship should ever be completely immune to any other ship in the game either.  There has to be a point where skill can over match the natural paper/rock/scissors that falls within the ship classes.  Right now it seems cv's got scissors and everyone else has rocks or paper made of rocks.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
552 posts
6,402 battles
5 hours ago, CeltBlood said:

I was not an elite CV player but I have over 2K games in CV's... And I was looking forward to the new rework. But after playing a few games and I know the rework is only just out. But I am just totally ineffective. I don't know if I can hit anything just yet because I can't get a plane NEAR a ship. Constantly getting my whole Kaga 12 squadrons shot to pieces time after time. Like its not even funny anymore. The thing is even if I get into a bad spot I can't get away from the AA and flack in time. I plan to keep plugging away at it ... but this is not fun its just very very frustrating. I'm winning a few games but not because I contributed in any way... Mostly 0 points and massive plane losses. Last game I lost 67 planes managed to sink 1 ship a dd who was already trashed. and it was just blind luck he sailed into the torp. No skill on my part.

I know players were worried about the new rework hurting the game balance... and being too OP lol but they have nothing to fear from me in a CV anymore.

I feel like a flock of Geese during hunting season now. I got every HP buff and stealth for them and they still drop like flies. And a Kaga in T 10 forget it lol. Not being Salty just trying to convey my experience. And my total incompetence with the New CV's. IIIDK maybe its me so like I said I'll keep plugging away. Looked fun in the test room watcking the supertesters or CC's dropping Bots :) Oh well

There are ways to avoid some of the flak.  Zig zag when you can, when you have to fly in a  straight line adjust speed.  The flak is fired based on your current path so changing speed and direction helps some.  Initially the flak was where the majority of aa damage came form.  I am guessing it was an attempt to add a level where skill could benefit the cv captain.  Unfortunately most cv's figured out how to do this pretty consistently.  As a result the base AA which is a DOT effect and  is purely unavoidable got buffed prior to release.   Try practicing it in co-op.

The big issue I am seeing is when ships stack their aa stacks (much stronger than pre 0.8.0) making ships within the cumulative aa bubble untouchable.  Even if you don't loose all your planes on your run,  your aiming reticle is so spread out that landing a shot on a moving vessel while dodging flak is nearly impossible.

Edited by HallaSnackbar
  • Cool 1

[POP]
Members
552 posts
6,402 battles
5 hours ago, Banika said:

In addition, playing a non-CV used to be fun. Now, the WHOLE game is just about dodging continuous air attacks. I imagine that in the near future non-cv players will stop playing all together and the carriers will only have each other to target. There are too many planes and WAY TO MANY CV's in a game. Where once I was addicted to this game you have now provided the key to allow me to quit. I may play in events that do not have CV's, like clan battles but in the mean time you have lost a player, a revenue source and a promoter. Go back to the old CV format, but eliminate strafing and limit the number of squadrons in the air to 3 at one time.

One of the main reasons for the rework was too little participation for the cv's because not enough people liked the RTS system.  Clearly more people like the new play style and you are reaping the benefits.  Sometimes maybe people should be more careful of what they ask for.

• Cool 2

[WOLF4]
Members
41 posts
7,829 battles

AA was made too strong, even normal AA without DF.   When torps hit BB's for 3k and even with a flag you get about a 10-20% flood rate, there is not much to fear.  I felt this way when test round 3 occured.  The previous iterations for AA were too weak, I agree but it went bonkers.   

To be fair though, so far on live I am seeing a spike in AA centric ships being played and I have a sneaking suspicion that AA was the spec that just about everybody took.
unfortunately, it will likely take several weeks to see things settle where they need to be in order for WG to see how the balance really is; tweaks will then be forthcoming.

I know on Test I was still seal-clubbing until round 3, but even in round 3 I would routinely pull off 100-200k in the longer matches, low 100's in the shorter ones.   I have yet to break 87k on live, and am usually held under 40k in the Midway.  I do better in the Kaga, even when uptiered.  Rockets seem to be the dps source for midway but they get shredded.

• Cool 1

Members
3 posts
1,802 battles
23 hours ago, HawkUSMC said:

Ineffective my left toe! I got perma dropped in my GK (4 drops in all) by 1 torp sqd. You can't outturn them when you speed drops so they just keep dropping you so DC is useless. Not only that I watched 1 torp sqd kill 2 nearly full health BBs AFTER the CV driver died.

You wanted to make it easier for CV drivers to focus, cool. But now everyone ELSE has to do more to counter it. For instance again my GK, now I have to focus my secondaries, focus my angle, forcus my targets, and focus my friggin AA to have a chance of not getting deleted at 16kts trying to dodge planes and torps and shells from 2 frickin' CVs perma dropping, AND the DDs and other ships. I mean it's wasnt so bad before, atleast you had time after a drop to get going again after a turn, not anymore.

Yeah made it so much fun now. I am done with this crap for a while.

Yes at T10 they are good, and only at T10. But you know what? Only a handful of players are at that tier, so you really only speak for the ultimate highest level of the game. At tier 6 and 8, they are garbage. Also I tanked several torps from Midway in my Bismark, they do not do enough damage to take out a full health BB. 2x3=6 a salvo, 3 salvos a fly out... from Midway at 5.3k dmg per -25% 4.2k-ish dmg? 25k if they derp and eat a full set, would take 5 full 6 hit sets to sink a T10 BB. This is what bothers me about these discussions, most of you are flipping your lid and going craaaazy and you have 0 actual proof to do so. You just are like they changed it, I don't like change! *RAAAGE*

Hakuryu might be able to do it, but again would have to go full derp, eat them all, and could still only do 1 BB unless it was running the x2 per drop planes and did not lose a single plane to AA... Which with AA so powerful and Hakuryu's planes so much squisher, it's not likely.

Edit: I do believe with some tuning it could be okay, they are very weak at Tier 4, 6, and 8.20190131181523_1.thumb.jpg.90a8811eadc0c5dfbda37de197c85f61.jpg

Edited by RazgriesMkII
Some facts about torp dmg and a screen shot of how weak Midways torps are

Members
5 posts
248 battles

I just came back to the game after taking a year or so off and was going to start learning how to play CV's but after all the prior comments I don't see the point.  Thanks for all the insight folks.

Members
58 posts
4,271 battles
15 hours ago, InspGadgt said:

Mine as well...I played about 10 games tonight in CVs in Co-Op and multiplayer and something needs to be fixed.

That's the exception not the rule.

How did you manage that much damage?  I had a single Amagi wipe out entire squads of bombers going after it and I was staying well out of the AA envelope of other ships, going around the outside flank.

DOT damage is your friend.

• Boring 1

[SUNK]
Members
43 posts
7,523 battles

I agree that the new rework is pretty shoddy. In a recent battle I spent roughly half of the match trying to kill one Queen Elizabeth in my Ranger. I scored 9 bomb, 3 torp, and 15 rocket hits for about 46K damage plus 5 fires for another 7K. Still wasn't able to sink the damn ship. The planes for tier 6 don't do enough damage, 5567 max damage for ranger's torpedoes is ridiculously low. Thats just a little above the max damage of an American 8in AP shell. And then on top of that you've got torpedo damage reduction for BBs, so now they do even less damage...if they hit. Plus, if you're unfortunate enough to be bottom tier, might as well not play. I remember going after an Akizuki (which has a max AA of 46) and losing my entire attack squadron before I could even click to begin an attack run. I'm not sure what happened WG with all your testing, but somehow you really overlooked this issue. Also, is it just me or does the bots in coop seem to get their damage control off cool down faster? Like I said earlier, I set 5 fires on the QE, for 7K damage. How does that work?!

[KNFA]
Beta Testers
453 posts
4,203 battles
On 1/31/2019 at 9:26 AM, Fastwolf66 said:

I stopped playing WoT because it become too arcade (after spending a lot of money) and I have to play more this update, but looks like I will stop playing also WoWs after also spending a lot of money. Good work WG, dont listen to loyal customers and try to get a lot of the console kids... nice business decision. 

Sorry, but strongly dissapointed with the direction the game is going... Never was a simulator, but now is becoming a mindless arcade, point and click, almost no strategy.

Sad, was here since alpha, had the potential to become a great game on a niche without competitors... now is becoming more and more a dumb console game.

The game is an arcade game what are you expecting reality ?

go play the garbage 1 shot a thon that is WT if you want reality.

[808]
Supertester
874 posts
5,123 battles
11 hours ago, Banika said:

That is temporary.  Since the CV rework is new a lot of people are playing them and trying them out.  The same thing happens every time a new ship or line is released.  Give it some time, the shine will wear off and the number of CVs in game will go back down.

10 hours ago, Dominator13 said:

I would like to control the planes using my mouse, rather than the keyboard, specially during the attack phases.

Also, nerf AA, ALL AA!!!

You can control them with your mouse.  I was doing that last night...I didn't even know you could use WASD to control them.  But you have to make small turns or else the game seems to think you are just looking around.

• Cool 1

Members
58 posts
4,271 battles

You want to talk about a broken mechanic that needs fixing and/or removal from the game. People have reported me on sight simply because I'm in a CV. Now THAT is a broken system that either needs to be given a purpose, or completely removed from the game. :P

This CV rework is a skill everyone is going to have to master, some are going to do just fine and some are not. However in this new system no CV is going to ALWAYS have a great game like before with the few purple CVs running around in Midway/Hakuryu and roflstomping people who failed their way into tier ten CV. CVs can now no longer one shot you like they could before. As a CV player I have to work HARD for my damage. It is a constant challenge having to have a good game. Surface ships major threat is certainly OTHER surface ships. The biggest skill people need to learn now is proper utilization of your damage control, and for people that have it, your repair party to mitigate any fires set and the occasional flood a fortunate CV player can land on you. The fact that so few people have learned this skill is being laid out for all to see right now, it's utterly disgusting how many people are willing, at TIER FRIKKIN TEN, to repair one fire while I'm laughing at them alongside the Worcester or Conqueror etc... HE spamming them setting 3-4 more fires in a matter of seconds on them working together. 

[808]
Supertester
874 posts
5,123 battles
7 hours ago, Flavius_Julius_1 said:

DOT damage is your friend.

That would be true if my planes could even get to the target.  Most times my entire squad gets shot down by a single battleship 2 tiers lower than I am.