You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Landsraad

Okay, how much does everyone hate planes?

Which do you prefer?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer to use Speed Boost or DFAA on your US destroyers?

• Speed Boost
    • DFAA
  2. 2. Do you think this will change post-0.8.0?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

14 comments in this topic

[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,342 posts
4,558 battles

I may or may not be the odd one here (who am I kidding, I'm the odd one out), but I've gotten up to the Farragut and so far on all of my US destroyers if I can take DFAA I will. I don't worry about losing a gun, I don't sweat getting rid of speed boost, I just like being more of a support ship with them and giving cover when I can. This is also why I love the Sims, I don't have to compromise. So that got me thinking, what does everyone else use? With the CV rework being implemented next patch do you think you'll change tactics or stick with your guns?

[O7]
Members
844 posts
13,822 battles

If you can take Def AA without forfeiting anything but your speed boost, you NEED to take def AA. 

Members
677 posts
5,656 battles
43 minutes ago, Kebobstuzov said:

If you can take Def AA without forfeiting anything but your speed boost, you NEED to take def AA. 

This.

Though it wouldn't be the worst change in the world to give DFAA its own slot.

[LRM3]
[LRM3]
Members
573 posts
6,497 battles
31 minutes ago, The_Painted_Target said:

This.

Though it wouldn't be the worst change in the world to give DFAA its own slot.

I agree. I feel that when other nations have multiple slots for dd’s, then the USN dd’s Should have both the speed boost and the Dfaa. 

• Cool 1

[ODIN]
Members
993 posts
15,498 battles

I like DFAA because if you stick with another destroyer, you can really change a capping situation that's going sour due to planes. Also nice to remove the spotter or fighter from a cruiser that's peeking around islands with it.

It might change though, for me, as I'm not sure how the average new CV player will be at hitting destroyers.

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles
48 minutes ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

I know I'm going to build out a few cancer AA ships to fight the cv spam following the new update

that's not cancer, that's chemotherapy.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
5,645 posts
2,706 battles
2 hours ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

I know I'm going to build out a few cancer AA ships to fight the cv spam following the new update

That's why I welcome any and all CV players who think they're hot stuff to take on my Iowa, Baltimore, Texas, or Kutuzov.

[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,342 posts
4,558 battles

I'm actually surprised by the results here, I wasn't expecting the split to be so even and I certainly wasn't expecting DFAA to take the lead for as long as it did last night. Keep it coming!

Members
2,180 posts
10,816 battles

Watching videos of AA builds I’m not sure DF can protect you as much as being able to evade. Engine boost with the special upgrade increasing the action time might protect you better over the course of multiple strikes, which would out last the duration of DF anyways.  In the most recent videos it appeared DF didn’t really spread out the attack just increased your AA DPM but on DDs it appeared your AA was quite limited as a plane killer.

This is one of the main items on my to test check list when I get my hands on the most recent CV rework.

With today’s CVs DF hands down.  I do think a buff giving US DDs DF on a separate slot would be a really good buff for them that won’t upset the DD vs DD balance.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

[KOFTT]
Members
3 posts
951 battles

I've tried both on my Nicholas but I would almost prefer a range buff on the low teir USDD torps or more smoke. Now that we pretty much need to be tied to another ship to survive.  Just my opinion.  

• Cool 1

[-TNT-]
Members
620 posts
7,971 battles
On 1/26/2019 at 3:16 AM, Landsraad said:

I may or may not be the odd one here (who am I kidding, I'm the odd one out), but I've gotten up to the Farragut and so far on all of my US destroyers if I can take DFAA I will. I don't worry about losing a gun, I don't sweat getting rid of speed boost, I just like being more of a support ship with them and giving cover when I can. This is also why I love the Sims, I don't have to compromise. So that got me thinking, what does everyone else use? With the CV rework being implemented next patch do you think you'll change tactics or stick with your guns?

I believe US DD need a 4th consumable slot for selecting between DFAA/HYDRO