You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
USSLangley

Prepping for CV update

51 comments in this topic

Members
142 posts
8,437 battles

Are we still waiting on guidance from WG on how they will compensate for removed odd tier CV’s?

i have basically two questions:  

1.  Does it make sense to use free XP to unlock, and purchase (w credits), the tier VIII Shokaku from the Hiryu before the update hits?

2.  Would it be a good idea to purchase one or two other odd-tiered CV’s with credits before the update (for a chance to farm any free xo compensation for those ships when removed)

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have to offer.

Cheers,

Drum

Edited by USSLangley

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,892 posts
4,881 battles

from what I understand, they're planning to give us full exp refund for odd tiers cvs and convert it into free exp for free. And also give us the option to sell our even tiers cv for free exp if we end up not liking it. Same goes for premium cv, but full doubloons refund

but again, I may be wrong on this

• Cool 1

[-KAK-]
Members
607 posts
11,761 battles
6 minutes ago, USSLangley said:

1.  Does it make sense to use free XP to unlock, and purchase, the tier VIII Shokaku from the Hiryu before the update hits?

Important Question - Are you planning on selling/refunding all the CVs when the update hits? If so, then grab Shok now. If you're planning on keeping the CVs, it basically comes down to how close you are to Shok. The XP distance between CVs is supposed to decrease in 8.0, so you're not really going to save any XP (Although I imagine they will refund the difference)

Edited by TheOmegaDuck

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,809 posts
1,478 battles

Wonder if they will fixed IJN CV, their planes are pretty squishy compared to USN planes.  

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,291 posts
12,974 battles

As long as you aren't spending doubloons on it, there's no reason not to.

Members
142 posts
8,437 battles

Well, its gonna cost me about 100k FXP (out of about 950k available) to unlock the Shok. At this point, I do not have the intention of dumping the entire CV line for either nation.  I currently own the Lexington, the Essex and the Midway.  Am toying with the idea of buying a Ranger too, if the compensation is going to fill my free XP coffers for a small credits investment.

Do we know for sure when this update is gonna hit?  I will grind the Hiryu until the last minute before.

D

[M-O-M]
Members
170 posts
7,278 battles

Greetings:

I am on the fence.  So is a friend who owns a Saipan and Enterprise.  I just have the Tier 4 IJN and US CVs plus the Tier 5 and Tier 6 US CVs.  I did use up all the flags that used for them for the torpedoes and bombs (the ones that increase magazine hit percentages).

I did not upgrade captain skills because I have no idea what will be of use in the future.  It was not like I played CVs that often.  I wonder how the software rewrite will effect the rest of the surface ships.

NJRoc

Edited by njroc
Add info

[SBS]
Members
6,104 posts
19 minutes ago, USSLangley said:

Do we know for sure when this update is gonna hit? 

Jan. 30th.  That is supposed to be the firm date.

• Cool 1

[PTRGT]
Members
407 posts
50,203 battles

Just playing my CV's till the end they I'll start selling them. I played the private test the public test and the new CV mode is a Cluster F* now.

Sucks since I love playing my Enterprise and Saipan.

[-VT-]
Members
781 posts
9,352 battles

One thing I am curious about is what they will be doing for uptiering the Kaga and Saipan.  What will their load outs be like, what will make them unique?

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,442 posts

You won't get a full XP refund on odd tier carriers.  They will be offset by the additional XP cost of researching the "new" pervious even number CVs. 

There's an article about how XP refunds will work about 2 months ago. I am on mobile so....

Bottom line is get to or don't reseach an odd numbered cv before the new patch drops.

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles

I wouldn’t do anything you can do after they announce the details.  WG and I have this relationship where I guess what they’re going to do, act on that, and then find out I was wrong. 

Unless there’s a compelling reason based on the confirmed information we have now I would hold tight.

[NG-NL]
Members
6,258 posts
10,088 battles

My understanding is you'll be refunded FXP for the XP you spent to research the CVs (even-tier only). Any odd-tier CVs (except premiums) will be refunded their full credit cost (unclear if they notice clan discounts or not). All captains currently on a CV will be respecced for free.

Which reminds me, I plan to buy Midway prior to this patch going live.

[GWG]
Members
7,215 posts
13,981 battles

Stock Shokaku is a pretty squishy at best.

Once you get it:  Recommend --

1) grind for 2-2-2 plane load-out

2) grind for the T8 fighters

3) grind for the better T8 torp planes.

Then it becomes more playable. 

Since there is no increase in planes, the three hulls are pretty much XP sponges with little difference.

----

With this change, we deal with the unknown.  Plans change, the update is still fluid and can twist around somewhat.

I plan on having a fully built up Shokaku by the time the update hits.

REASON:  I have no idea how hard this line is going to be to grind after the update hits.  There will be a learning curve, and I'd like to have options if I will do very well at it.

[RLGN]
Members
14,886 posts
26,419 battles
3 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

Jan. 30th.  That is supposed to be the firm date.

:Smile_veryhappy:

3 hours ago, DeathsStalker said:

Just playing my CV's till the end they I'll start selling them. I played the private test the public test and the new CV mode is a Cluster F* now.

Sucks since I love playing my Enterprise and Saipan.

Agreed.

I guess if someone finds FPS semi-twitch flight sims enjoyable they might think differently.

3 hours ago, DemonGod3 said:

One thing I am curious about is what they will be doing for uptiering the Kaga and Saipan.  What will their load outs be like, what will make them unique?

Nothing?

Considering the cardboard box carrier and dime-store balsa glider airplane nature of reworked carriers and air squads, any ‘differences’ will be so pathetically minor and cosmetic as to be pointless.

3 hours ago, Reymu said:

My understanding is you'll be refunded FXP for the XP you spent to research the CVs (even-tier only). Any odd-tier CVs (except premiums) will be refunded their full credit cost (unclear if they notice clan discounts or not). All captains currently on a CV will be respecced for free.

Did you like the rework in the TST and/or PT? Are you close to getting it already? Then go for it.

Otherwise, why waste the credits and FXP on something that may not be liked/enjoyed..

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,751 posts
15,279 battles

Prepping?

Uninstalling doesn't really take much preparation...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 1

Members
969 posts
10,928 battles

I do not like what WG will be doing to the captains of the odd-tier carriers being removed.  Per one of the update notes, those commanders will be retrained for the even-tier carrier below when their current ship goes away.  I currently have  Langley and Bogue and Independence.  I don’t need a second Langley commander.  It would be kind of WG to give not only free respecs to the CV commanders but also the retraining cost in elite commander XP for those who will suddenly be without a ship.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles
14 minutes ago, mofton said:

Prepping?

Uninstalling doesn't really take much preparation...

This is my general reaction, too. It will be a nice little vacation from the game.

• Cool 1

Members
142 posts
8,437 battles
1 hour ago, Reymu said:

My understanding is you'll be refunded FXP for the XP you spent to research the CVs (even-tier only). Any odd-tier CVs (except premiums) will be refunded their full credit cost (unclear if they notice clan discounts or not).

Seems weird that only even tiered cv’s, which are not being removed, would have their XP cost compensated as free XP but odd tiered cv’s that ARE being removed would only get compensated for credit costs.  Maybe you are referring to the compensation scheme following a voluntary trade in of all CV’s from a given line.

Can anyone confirm that owners of odd-tiered CV’s are going to receive ONLY the credit costs of the ships being removed and NO free XP compensation for the research costs of the removed ships?

thanks

[WOLF7]
Members
236 posts
6,741 battles
10 hours ago, Reymu said:

Ok, I have the Bogue and Independence, what Will happen? They Will give me the credits and xp from Bogue back and give me the option of changing my Independence for Free XP as Well?

What happens to the XP i have on the Independence? Can i convert It to fxp too?

Members
909 posts
6,198 battles
9 hours ago, USSLangley said:

Seems weird that only even tiered cv’s, which are not being removed, would have their XP cost compensated as free XP but odd tiered cv’s that ARE being removed would only get compensated for credit costs.  Maybe you are referring to the compensation scheme following a voluntary trade in of all CV’s from a given line.

Can anyone confirm that owners of odd-tiered CV’s are going to receive ONLY the credit costs of the ships being removed and NO free XP compensation for the research costs of the removed ships?

thanks

Can’t confirm but I almost certain that WG has said the the XP we used to research the odd tier CVs will be returned as free xp. Supposedly we are getting some more detailed articles about all of this next week so nothing is really final until WG comes right out and says it. 

Also if your still stuck on the tier 7 CV when the rework hits you are going to get knocked back down to tier 6. So if you don’t want to do the tier 6-8 grind it might be worth it to get the tier 8 before the rework goes live. 

Edited by Forgottensoldier117
  • Cool 1

[DTB]
Members
264 posts
12 hours ago, alex08060 said:

Wonder if they will fixed IJN CV, their planes are pretty squishy compared to USN planes.  

That was generally true for Japanese planes in WWII. To get the performance they cut down a lot on mass:

Japanese planes were built light, lacking armor, with non-sealing fuel tanks, to increase their maneuverability. American planes were built heavy, with armor for pilot and essential systems, and self-sealing fuel tanks. While this made US planes slower and less maneuverable, this allowed them to take hits and return home, something the nimble IJN planes couldn’t do.

[NG-NL]
Members
6,258 posts
10,088 battles
1 hour ago, demeflac said:

Ok, I have the Bogue and Independence, what Will happen? They Will give me the credits and xp from Bogue back and give me the option of changing my Independence for Free XP as Well?

What happens to the XP i have on the Independence? Can i convert It to fxp too?

Bogue's ship XP gets transferred to Orlan and you're refunded the Bogue's cost in credits. Indy is unotuched. Bogue captain will be automatically retrained to Langley.

The ship xp cost to get the next ship, if remember right, is refunded to you as fxp. Ship XP on the even-tier ships is untouched.

Members
909 posts
6,198 battles
32 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Bogue's ship XP gets transferred to Orlan and you're refunded the Bogue's cost in credits. Indy is unotuched. Bogue captain will be automatically retrained to Langley.

The ship xp cost to get the next ship, if remember right, is refunded to you as fxp. Ship XP on the even-tier ships is untouched.

Indy is not untouched it’s removed and replaced by tier 6 Ranger. 

[--K--]
Supertester
1,325 posts
12,480 battles

So no concrete info yet. I've got about 90k to unlock the Shokaku and 70k to unlock the Ranger. Could probably power grind both at least one tier higher.