You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dechion

Captain skills after 8.0

25 comments in this topic

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,089 posts
3,937 battles

I am working up a skipper for my Fletcher, and trying to build him along the way so I don't need to pay for a respec once he get to 19 points. Anyhow, I got him to 16 points this morning and as I was looking where to put the three points hes got free I started thinking about how things may shake out in the new meta after 8.0 goes live with the CV rework. Since it seems that only CV captains are getting a free respec I want to try and get this right.

Searching the forums I was unable to find info on how AA captain skill were changing. I found many mentions of it happening, but no details. Would someone please point me in the right direction?

Side note, I am looking at a mostly a scout/torp boat centric Fletcher build. Here is where I am now.

Priority Target, Last Stand, Survivability Expert, Torpedo Armament Expertise, Concealment Expert. 

I was originally planning on adding in Superintendent today and later Basic Firing Training to finish the build. Now I'm not sure.

I can counter not having Superintendent with premium consumables, costly but effective. Basic Firing Training still sounds good with the potential improvements to AA, but with AA changing I don't know what kind of help it will be. With rocket loaded planes that seem designed for hunting DD's about to be a thing skills like Basics of Survivability and High Alert are looking like they may come in handy.  I hear good things about Adrenaline Rush, but that seems more of a gunboat skill. (I can gunboat when needed, but its not my first choice).

Anyhow, I figured I would do a bit of a brain dump here and see what the glorious hive mind of the forums thought.

• Cool 1

[-V-]
Members
829 posts
4,900 battles
5 minutes ago, dechion said:

Since it seems that only CV captains are getting a free respec I want to try and get this right.

Not sure if this is correct especially with the remake of the AA and the ability for Defense against it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXlfF4g9WXA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnUX-yYpevc

[FTH]
Members
1,016 posts
15,853 battles

Where did they say only the cv's are getting free respecs? I hadn't noticed that being posted yet...with the drastic rework of all AA skills plus CE being reworked...I was guessing they'd let everyone respect.

2,809 posts
1,478 battles

Better get AA skills, although they are probably useful only with good AA ships.  If you are using it on poor AA ships you might as well pray to RNG god that MM doesn’t give you too much CV. 

[WOLFX]
1,089 posts
3,937 battles

The 8.0 FAQ talks about respecs:

Captains:

1. Will we get a free captain re-spec with the rework? 
    Yes, any Captain specialized to a CV will be available to be re-spec'd for free.

2. What about other Captains with CV related skills?
    More Details to come.

I also asked Fem on one of the Twitch streams and she answered my question with CV captains get a respec for sure, no info to share about other captains.

I really hope it's an across the board respec as it will effect the whole meta of the game.

As for RPF, I'm not sure it's worth 4 points to me the way I play DD's. Cruisers yes, but that's a different playstyle.

• Cool 1

[WOLFX]
1,089 posts
3,937 battles
17 minutes ago, alex08060 said:

Better get AA skills, although they are probably useful only with good AA ships.  If you are using it on poor AA ships you might as well pray to RNG god that MM doesn’t give you too much CV. 

Fletcher isn't a bad AA boat as DD's go, not sure how defensive AA will effect that. It's all up in the air at the moment.

• Cool 1

Members
1,465 posts
7,121 battles

With the changes to AA I feel they must give all captains a full free re-spec. I they do not I bet there will be a big forum riot.

7,026 posts
27,457 battles
11 minutes ago, dechion said:

The 8.0 FAQ talks about respecs:

Captains:

1. Will we get a free captain re-spec with the rework? 
    Yes, any Captain specialized to a CV will be available to be re-spec'd for free.

2. What about other Captains with CV related skills?
    More Details to come.

I also asked Fem on one of the Twitch streams and she answered my question with CV captains get a respec for sure, no info to share about other captains.

I really hope it's an across the board respec as it will effect the whole meta of the game.

As for RPF, I'm not sure it's worth 4 points to me the way I play DD's. Cruisers yes, but that's a different playstyle.

Wasn't it SubOctavian @ reddit that said that we will get a full free respec?

[WOLFX]
1,089 posts
3,937 battles
2 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Wasn't it SubOctavian @ reddit that said that we will get a full free respec?

Not that I saw, but I'm not on Reddit much.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
19,969 posts
12,621 battles
1 hour ago, dechion said:

I am working up a skipper for my Fletcher, and trying to build him along the way so I don't need to pay for a respec once he get to 19 points. Anyhow, I got him to 16 points this morning and as I was looking where to put the three points hes got free I started thinking about how things may shake out in the new meta after 8.0 goes live with the CV rework. Since it seems that only CV captains are getting a free respec I want to try and get this right.

Searching the forums I was unable to find info on how AA captain skill were changing. I found many mentions of it happening, but no details. Would someone please point me in the right direction?

Side note, I am looking at a mostly a scout/torp boat centric Fletcher build. Here is where I am now.

Priority Target, Last Stand, Survivability Expert, Torpedo Armament Expertise, Concealment Expert. 

I was originally planning on adding in Superintendent today and later Basic Firing Training to finish the build. Now I'm not sure.

I can counter not having Superintendent with premium consumables, costly but effective. Basic Firing Training still sounds good with the potential improvements to AA, but with AA changing I don't know what kind of help it will be. With rocket loaded planes that seem designed for hunting DD's about to be a thing skills like Basics of Survivability and High Alert are looking like they may come in handy.  I hear good things about Adrenaline Rush, but that seems more of a gunboat skill. (I can gunboat when needed, but its not my first choice).

Anyhow, I figured I would do a bit of a brain dump here and see what the glorious hive mind of the forums thought.

This article is from late November, so the skills may change before CVs go live.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/public-test/carrier-underwood/

Here is a thread bringing together info, articles and other threads.

[SBS]
Members
6,100 posts

AA is still being changed so much its hard to know what we'll end up with when it goes live.  As of now AA for DDs isn't very strong even with a full AA build.  You're better off going with the general DDs build we have now (non-AA build) and keeping your AA turned off to help you avoid detection.

I'm another one that uses RPF on my DDs.  There is a learning curve to be able to get your four points worth out of the skill.  It's a great tool for offense and defense.  That's for the current meta, who knows how much things will change in the rework.  I think DDs could be in for a rough ride.

As for the free respec's, I've heard free for all CV commanders, and some other commanders with also get free respec's.  I'm assuming its to prevent everyone from going full AA builds.  I'd very surprised if WG wasn't generous with respec's as things get rebalanced, just not right out of the gate. 

Here's a Notser video that goes over all of the new commander skills (it might have already been posted).

[NSEW]
Alpha Tester
341 posts
6,587 battles

They have done resets for less, and seeing as this is a major change in mechanics i can't see why they wouldn't just do a full reset. Then again logic isn't always the leading decision making process at WG...

[PVE]
Members
19,969 posts
12,621 battles
2 minutes ago, B_Wilco said:

They have done resets for less, and seeing as this is a major change in mechanics i can't see why they wouldn't just do a full reset. Then again logic isn't always the leading decision making process at WG...

My WAG is that this will be a full reset ala the 6.0 skill changes.

[PVE]
Members
4,626 posts
20,484 battles

Has anyone asked "to what end are they doing a respect?"  Why.....

Why mess with a game so desperately in need of new maps, new mode and new players?  The cruiser line split created a nightmare for many of us and now, it seems, they want "something" to happen and a lot of us can't see where WG is headed?

Any suggestions are welcome !  Cause, I'm new and on the fence about staying.......

[NG-NL]
Members
6,246 posts
10,071 battles

BFT will only increase AA efectiveness, AFT adds extra flak, and MAA improves the sector AA.

[WOLFX]
1,089 posts
3,937 battles
33 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Has anyone asked "to what end are they doing a respect?"  Why.....

Why mess with a game so desperately in need of new maps, new mode and new players?  The cruiser line split created a nightmare for many of us and now, it seems, they want "something" to happen and a lot of us can't see where WG is headed?

Any suggestions are welcome !  Cause, I'm new and on the fence about staying.......

CV gameplay has been broken since beta, probably before but I wasn't here for that. A rework was needed, and they have stated repeatedly exactly what they want to accomplish with it.

The cruiser split was exactly what you are asking for, new content. Don't like them? Don't play them. I for one am glad, as I find the light cruisers fun to play. 

The new modes and new maps will come, those are separate teams working on them, and they take time.

[WOLFX]
1,089 posts
3,937 battles
4 minutes ago, Reymu said:

BFT will only increase AA efectiveness, AFT adds extra flak, and MAA improves the sector AA.

Thanks. Looks like I'll probably forgo anything AA wise other than perhaps BFT.

[PVE]
Members
4,626 posts
20,484 battles
40 minutes ago, dechion said:

CV gameplay has been broken since beta, probably before but I wasn't here for that. A rework was needed, and they have stated repeatedly exactly what they want to accomplish with it.

The cruiser split was exactly what you are asking for, new content. Don't like them? Don't play them. I for one am glad, as I find the light cruisers fun to play. 

The new modes and new maps will come, those are separate teams working on them, and they take time.

Thanks for the input.  The CL split was a marketing gimmick to test for a market expansion: to the future??  Alas, for many of us, the CLS ruined what we liked in the game.  Yes, we like the gun boats but, not the radar....  A LOS gun boat is fun......being destroyed game after game with little or no damage because you just can't get close enough drove off a lot of players.  Having only one shot at damage and then getting obliterated isn't fun......sorry.

I do not play CV's and they are a mystery.  We can't field a clan anymore and all of the players I know from other games have left....  I'll stick around and see what happens; but, I've got a bad sense of WoTs deja vu at the moment so I'm not spending another cent till that "bad feeling" is proven to be invalid........

thanks for the reply.

Members
265 posts
4,837 battles

From recent vids by Flamu & Farazellah, it looks like DD AA has been significantly buffed. Flamu was testing an AA-specced, US DD, and was shredding planes. Total squad wipes 

[FORM]
Members
1,797 posts
12,128 battles

If they don't allow us to respec all our captains for free, they're doing us wrong.

[WOLFX]
1,089 posts
3,937 battles
48 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Thanks for the input.  The CL split was a marketing gimmick to test for a market expansion: to the future??  Alas, for many of us, the CLS ruined what we liked in the game.  Yes, we like the gun boats but, not the radar....  A LOS gun boat is fun......being destroyed game after game with little or no damage because you just can't get close enough drove off a lot of players.  Having only one shot at damage and then getting obliterated isn't fun......sorry.

I do not play CV's and they are a mystery.  We can't field a clan anymore and all of the players I know from other games have left....  I'll stick around and see what happens; but, I've got a bad sense of WoTs deja vu at the moment so I'm not spending another cent till that "bad feeling" is proven to be invalid........

thanks for the reply.

I have found that by spending the early part of the match spotting for my team and using islands as cover that I've had good sucess. hopefully my team takes advantage of the spotting taking out the radar cruisers. If that happens and I can survive till mid to late game i can do very well in a DD even in the radar meta.

For run and gun you may want to look into us light cruisers, they are fun as well.

[A-D-F]
Members
2,108 posts
7,629 battles
1 hour ago, dechion said:

This was an excellent post.  I would like to have given it a +1 except my finger slipped and I actually ended up giving it an angry face -1.  I really do apologize for me and my fat, stupid fingers.  

***slouches off to find some posts by @dechion to give +1's to.***

[PVE]
Members
19,969 posts
12,621 battles

To allow you to adapt your Commanders to the new carrier gameplay as comfortably as possible, from January 30 to February 8, you’ll be able to retrain your Commanders and redistribute their skill points for free. This event includes all Commanders and is only limited by the specified time frame.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/development/cv8-how-to-tune/

• Cool 2