You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Lyon Fire

8 comments in this topic

[CNO]
Members
6,085 posts
18,577 battles

I made several mistakes in this match. One was the premature use of an RT. And I had a bit of poor aiming here and there. However, despite the sub-optimal play, I was able to endure nine fires. My fire damage alone exceeded 50% of my ship's hit points. I know we have many posts about fire being OP. I don't see fire as OP. It's just one other thing that needs to be managed, among many other things in the game.

Most of my fire damage was from cruisers. They did 30K. A good bit of that damage was repaired using my RT. Now, look at the flip side. I delivered six citadels. Five of those to cruisers. That's as much as 47,500 damage...from five shells. A cit on a cruiser is often a talisman to carry for the rest of the game...many can't get any of those hit points back. For some, it's instant destruction.

Despite the fires and other damage, I was able to enter an end game with over 30% of my hit pool left, against a diminished red team, and plenty of green support.

To be honest, I was not aware I had endured nine fires until I checked the end game stats. Fire must be respected. It can burn you down. But it's not OP. Mange it properly, and you'll be fine.

• Cool 4

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
20,624 battles

I think you're understating the threat of fire and flooding,

While you are managing fires and floods, the enemy is managing you … 

Waiting for you to activate dmg ctrl and disengage

Edited by Commander_367

[KAPPA]
Members
3,117 posts
8,650 battles

Agreed completely. Some might call me crazy for it, but I don't run anti-fire builds and technically main BBs. I have other priorities and other goals than the boring choice of worrying less about fire. Does it kill me? As often as planes might kill a BB, which is one of my favorite places to put points into.

That said, on ships that have worse AA, I am sooner to spec towards having my dam con and repair ready sooner, and plan to get a secondary build together for Massachusetts. I think the only nation I actually have an anti-fire build on is IJN BBs, and that's more due to little to spec towards. The AA is bleh, secondaries are wasteful, but they tend to be fairly fragile about fires due to their dam con's shorter duration.

And while IJN BBs are increasingly becoming my best line, that's more due to not really playing anything else in months (other than PEF and maybe a few rare exceptions), as I've been focusing co-op hard, and have used it to get much better at brawling and such. Just the other day I gave a Musashi two cit slaps on the rear cheek in my recently acquired Izumo, which I have over 200 games of co-op in Mo to give my thanks to.

Still, I'm getting off-topic now.

Truth be told, my motivations for skipping the skills are in part greed, though. After all, if I take enough fire damage I get free stuff! Who doesn't like free stuff? I'd rather stick an anti-fire signal on my mast and be done with that, using the slot to improve my rudder or acceleration (though the latter is more an abnormal choice for me, as it's rare that a BB gets much out of it. Nelson's probably my favorite to use it on, as she can back up and tank damage like a champ) and my commander for more interesting things as it's not especially rare I manage to get fireproof, triply so in Nelson.

Members
5,435 posts
10,508 battles

Dreadnought and Fireproof are easy to get with the French line even with a anti-fire captain skill/flags... ;)  Pulled out the Alsace for the French line PEF directive IV (even though I will not finish it - don't have enough country lines) and both of those Achievements rained down all day long; along with close quarter expert (2 times in one game) confederate and a dev strike or 2..

Edited by CylonRed

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles

I consider fireproof to be pretty much essential for battleships - you are taking SO MUCH HE damage over the course of a long fight; anything to mitigate it is an enormous positive.

Dreadnought, however, is a complete non-starter for me. A few thousand HP isn't worth another valuable offensive skill. 

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
2,076 posts
27,093 battles
1 hour ago, Battleship_ContediCavour said:

Dreadnought, however, is a complete non-starter for me. A few thousand HP isn't worth another valuable offensive skill. 

I assume you mean Survivability Expert.  And I agree it's not worth it on a BB.

[CNO]
Members
6,085 posts
18,577 battles

Some replies in this thread imply I'm favoring a survival build.  My intent really wasn't to favor one build over another, but to just show fire, in general, can usually be managed. 

I actually run an AA build on my Lyon.  It is second only to my QE where I long for a CV to troll.  My only survival skill is BoS.  I don't run fire proof.  If I ever felt like HE was owning me to the point I couldn't manage it, I'd go for FP and consider a few of the other skills.  I do run FP on most of my other BBs.  But not this one...because trolling CVs is fun, and the fire isn't too bothersome.