You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SmokinCAT

High tier USN 152MM AP Pen

19 comments in this topic

Members
605 posts
7,439 battles

How is the penetration so bad that these ships wont pen a broadside Kronshtadt under the front turrets at 4KM? 

Members
605 posts
7,439 battles
3 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Shoot AP at the superstructure.

At 4km you think its okay that 152 doesnt have enough pen to citadel a cruiser?

[XBRTC]
Members
3,154 posts
10,065 battles
1 minute ago, SmokinCAT said:

No. I think you’re doing it wrong.

• Meh 1

Members
605 posts
7,439 battles
25 minutes ago, Stand_Alone97 said:

Now that's what I call...

Show me the replay.

39 pens with 12672 damage, direct from end of game results, would seem I got a lot of no damage pens into the belt, would think that at that range worcester could pen more than that at under 4km, but maybe I just dont understand the penetration values.

[TF16A]
[TF16A]
Members
506 posts
8,656 battles

According to the WoWS Fitting tool by Aesis (www.wowsft.com), the Worcester has 218 mm of penetration at 5 km.  The Kronshtadt has a 230 mm belt.  Due to the angle of the armor and angle of shell impact, depending on point of impact as the forward portion of armor has a noticeable slope that flattens out behind the front turrets, this could be anywhere from 233.5 mm effective armor to 280.8 mm effective armor.

• Cool 2

[BNKR]
Members
1,649 posts
2,806 battles
5 minutes ago, DanielLeary said:

According to the WoWS Fitting tool by Aesis (www.wowsft.com), the Worcester has 218 mm of penetration at 5 km.  The Kronshtadt has a 230 mm belt.  Due to the angle of the armor and angle of shell impact, depending on point of impact as the forward portion of armor has a noticeable slope that flattens out behind the front turrets, this could be anywhere from 233.5 mm effective armor to 280.8 mm effective armor.

Damn! You found it before I did. I was about 97% sure that Kronshtadt's belt was too thick in most places for American 152mm AP to penetrate. 

Members
605 posts
7,439 battles
17 minutes ago, DanielLeary said:

Its really a shame the pen is that poor.

[HINON]
Members
13,717 posts
22 minutes ago, SmokinCAT said:

It's the price you pay for having so many small caliber machine guns that spew fire.

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,410 posts
5,761 battles
2 hours ago, SmokinCAT said:

no it doesnt kronstadt has a 230mm belt which will keep 8" shells out until below 12km.

the 152mm guns on the worcester can only pen the nominal thickness at 4.5km and under.

kronstadt has one of the better cruiser armor belts in the game. You need to shoot above it, where you should get a lot of damage.

[CHASE]
[CHASE]
Beta Testers
391 posts
11,910 battles

just shoot at the upper belt which is 25mm, you can pen that all day in your 152mm guns, heck, even dd 128mm can pen that. Or aim for the bow and stern (broadside) which is also 25mm.

[LEGIO]
Members
3,469 posts
8,178 battles

I'm more frustrated that my American 8" heavy cruiser guns firing super-heavy AP shells won't score citadels on a Kron at anything above point blank range.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,180 posts
24,550 battles
7 hours ago, SmokinCAT said:

These are 152mm guns.  If you want Cruiser AP that slams hard, you get the CAs and the "Super Cruisers."  Not even RN CL AP has great penetration, and they're stuck to use AP.

2iF5xTy.png

The workaround however is to fire at the base of the superstructure / upper hull if you want to use 152mm AP.  But you have to be ready to switch back to HE quick, because the moment ships start angling, that USN 152mm AP is bouncing.  Minotaur gets special bounce angles, but even then, bow on her AP starts failing.  To straight up citadel another Cruiser you have to know their belt armor, angle, range, and power of your own shells.  Otherwise you're wasting time getting Non-Pens while the other guy is getting ready to hammer you to hell and back.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,536 posts
12,810 battles
15 hours ago, SmokinCAT said:

Not really.  Most shells were never expected to penetrate more than their shell diameter.  Asking for over 8 inches of pen for 6-inch guns seems ridiculous.

Members
605 posts
7,439 battles
17 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

Not really.  Most shells were never expected to penetrate more than their shell diameter.  Asking for over 8 inches of pen for 6-inch guns seems ridiculous.

On 1/20/2019 at 6:52 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

These are 152mm guns.  If you want Cruiser AP that slams hard, you get the CAs and the "Super Cruisers."  Not even RN CL AP has great penetration, and they're stuck to use AP.

2iF5xTy.png

The workaround however is to fire at the base of the superstructure / upper hull if you want to use 152mm AP.  But you have to be ready to switch back to HE quick, because the moment ships start angling, that USN 152mm AP is bouncing.  Minotaur gets special bounce angles, but even then, bow on her AP starts failing.  To straight up citadel another Cruiser you have to know their belt armor, angle, range, and power of your own shells.  Otherwise you're wasting time getting Non-Pens while the other guy is getting ready to hammer you to hell and back.

What is AP pen on russian 152mm used by say the kutuzov?

Members
605 posts
7,439 battles

Scratch that, I was able to find it using the link higher in the thread.

Kutuzov is right in line, T5 murmansk has 220mm at 5km though, that is comical.