You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_1204_

Battleships shells vs destroyers

88 comments in this topic

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,633 posts
2,633 battles

I know this was in testing, and I took a little 3 month break fro wows. Did this ever go live? I think it did, but I'm not 100% sure

Also, just to clarify, the mechanics of the proposed change were that BBs of all tiers would always overpenetrate destroyers right? Even if they are perfectly bow on and our shells had all the time and armor in the world to detonate?

If so I think this kinda dumb, but I'm just a silly BB main. I mean no citadel or penetrations on dds... I am locked into only doing 7k damage or so every 30 seconds

[PLPT]
Members
204 posts
9,492 battles

You can get pens but do 10% of normal pen damage. Khab and Harugumo take full ap pen damage.

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,633 posts
2,633 battles
3 minutes ago, Troa_Barton said:

Yep it's live.

DD mains be like
44YCxgp.gif

That sucks. So a dd can just rush me and I am just expected to die. 

Dd mains complain too much

• Cool 9
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[CHMC]
[CHMC]
Members
334 posts
8,378 battles
Just now, _1204_ said:

I'm conflicted about it on the one hand it was pretty ridiculous to one shot a DD as much as I enjoyed doing it and it encourages ammo selection but on the other hand it makes BBs that get rushed have little to no recourse.
If your DD never spotted theirs allowing for chip damage you're SOL, If you get too close to islands either on purpose or due to being driven to cover you're doomed.
Of course this also means that the enemy DD has to recognize you're an easy kill.

Personally I was hoping for a secondary base accuracy buff to compensate, that's kinda what they're for.

My advice is chunk them when you see them so they won't get away with it later.

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,926 posts
10,485 battles

In Soviet Russia DD can one shot BB reliably but BB can't one shot DD reliably

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[WOLFB]
Members
2,829 posts
5,447 battles

I really haven’t noticed difference at close range. My secondary guns and main guns are hitting them hard still and my secondary guns usually end the fight. 

[M_INC]
Members
163 posts
7,135 battles
29 minutes ago, Troa_Barton said:

Yep it's live.

DD mains be like
44YCxgp.gif

hahaha! wishful thinking :p

currently trying harder, b*tching less

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

Beta Testers
361 posts
137 battles
23 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

1.) BBs as a ship type are overperforming and have yet to be balanced. In fact, even when the data concluded a nerf was needed, BBs got most of their citadels lowered/more released with lowered citadels.

2.) DDs are the lowest performing ship and have been since beta.

3.) A DD cannot just "rush you" and automatically win. You still have secondaries. YOU also have/had the choice to equip RPF, Vigilance, Spotting upgrade, etc. If your BB has a plane, YOU should have saved it. YOU, not the DD, has the longest range in the game, the MOST HP and ARMOR, AND the MOST damage second only to CVs. If you got in range of a DD where he could rush you in point blank, and the result is you sunk not him, YOU have completely failed as a player.

Imagine the "complaining" that would ensue if BBs were actually balanced for Risk vs Reward for once.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 6
  • Bad 12
  • Angry 1

[DANKY]
Members
693 posts
1,950 battles

YOLO rushing a BB is still a stupid move most of the time, with or without the auto-overpens.  If the BB has any friends around then they'll kill you, and if it doesn't have friends, and he's moving towards you, then you can just as easily torp him without suiciding.  If you can't easily put a spread in his path because you're not closing on the BB head-on, then you won't catch the BB before he kills you.  Now imagine the BB has hydro so he'll spot your longer-range torps and dodge them.  Guess what!  That means it's a German BB that will kill you with secondaries.  If you have island cover to surprise the BB at close range, set up an ambush instead. 

Edited by Eugenie_101

[WDS]
Members
1,055 posts
7,726 battles
15 minutes ago, Xanshin said:

Kurfurst does not see problem, here... move along.

Massachusetts does not see a problem, here... move along.

• Cool 3

Alpha Tester
7,108 posts
3,722 battles

DDs have easily surpassed everyone as the most coddled group in WoWs. They are no protected from thinking.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 2

[SUCIT]
Members
978 posts
3,970 battles
28 minutes ago, KnyxUDL said:

1.) BBs as a ship type are overperforming and have yet to be balanced. In fact, even when the data concluded a nerf was needed, BBs got most of their citadels lowered/more released with lowered citadels.

Show any data.  

29 minutes ago, KnyxUDL said:

2.) DDs are the lowest performing ship and have been since beta.

Refer to previous point.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,571 posts
13,465 battles

The change is live. Red pens from guns 280mm+ only do overmatch damage.

Seriously, how often do you guys get charged point blank by destroyers?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[DOG]
Members
184 posts
6,933 battles

Often enough that I don't like the change (as I've managed to kill a few DDs that closed on torp runs - remember NOT all DDs have real long torp ranges).  Typically this is at tiers below Tier X.  Without the captain skill (Expert Loader) means I'm going to continue the current reload and fire AP and will have HE for the next set of shells assuming I'm still alive.

[SBS]
Members
3,257 posts
2,408 battles
8 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

For all practical purposes, they don't.  They just want to complain.  I challenge you guys that think this is unfair to look up the survival rates for DDs per and post change and see if DDs have become invincible. 

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/shipstats/index.html

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 2

[SUCIT]
Members
978 posts
3,970 battles
16 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

I don't think I've ever been successfully suicide ganked by a DD while in a BB.  I've done it a few times, though extremely rarely.  

I still don't think it was a good change because it dumbs down decision making while in a DD, and I am against most changes that dumb down the game.  I also didn't like the BB citadel changes for the same reason.  I don't like that certain ships have a "get out of jail free" card, while others do not.  

• Cool 1

[-BMV-]
Members
1,226 posts
5,761 battles
42 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

That's what I wand to know, I figure even with the change assuming you get a good salvo with multiple hits you should maul most DD's in the game. DD's who survive said mauling are probably walking on eggshells the rest of the match.

It should only really be possible for a DD to survive a point blank attack if it's an ambush or if you are alone. If the BB let himself get ambushed or is alone he had it coming.

[WDS]
Members
1,055 posts
7,726 battles
39 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

For all practical purposes, they don't.  They just want to complain.  I challenge you guys that think this is unfair to look up the survival rates for DDs per and post change and see if DDs have become invincible. 

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/shipstats/index.html

There's always going to be friction between DDs , BBs , CAs and CVs .  A lot of us feel like we are getting the small piece of the pie but it's always hard to cut that pie into even slices . Some things aren't fair I don't like getting hit by 6 torps from a CVs plane that I can't dodge or getting HE spamed  from CA I cant see or hit because its behind an island . But I love having guns that can dev strike anything from almost any were has great armour  its all a trade off nobody forces you to play the ship you choice . Too much complaining much respect for DD players think its the hardest boat to play they need a little extra help they have a short life span in most games . 

Edited by clammboy
  • Boring 1

Members
2,841 posts
3,085 battles
58 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

In battleships? Often enough I feel. Either because I want a push to happen, I feel everyone is being too much of a ninny to hunt dds, or nobody killed them for a good amount of time and i'm one of the few targets left.  Which in itself is kinda of amusing since I figured they would use the stealth range to their advantage and not get into spotting distance just to torp me. 

[PVE]
Members
7,218 posts
12,451 battles
2 hours ago, _1204_ said:

I know this was in testing, and I took a little 3 month break fro wows. Did this ever go live? I think it did, but I'm not 100% sure

Also, just to clarify, the mechanics of the proposed change were that BBs of all tiers would always overpenetrate destroyers right? Even if they are perfectly bow on and our shells had all the time and armor in the world to detonate?

If so I think this kinda dumb, but I'm just a silly BB main. I mean no citadel or penetrations on dds... I am locked into only doing 7k damage or so every 30 seconds

No matter what you get for a hit (ie; pen or overpen) you will always get 10% overpen damage.