You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
jags_domain

Roma

22 comments in this topic

[SOV]
Members
1,375 posts

I got Roma last news year. She is best looking ship in WOW. But the guns are kind of hit and miss. I can cit a BB at 14 km then the next shot miss a crusier at 8km! 

And being t8 you always in a t10 fight. While the armor says yes the guns say no.

WG could you increase the secendary range to say 10km or give her a large dispersion buff?

PS WG I just had 2 more games.  and Edinburgh at 4 km away and 8 over pens at the water line.  BB are suppose to delete ships like that so instead what happened.  It torps me to death.  So you make the t10 ijn so called DD that pens evry ship in the game with a 100mm gun but Roma cant pen anything at 4 km away.

Please fix this ship

Edited by jags_domain

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,580 posts
20,107 battles

She got a minor buff when they removed he AP shells for the secondaries.

Since she regular sees T10 I would rather opt for some extra main battery range. Those 19km is more or less cruiser MB range at T10.

• Cool 2

[SOV]
Members
1,375 posts
12 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Since she regular sees T10 I would rather opt for some extra main battery range. Those 19km is more or less cruiser MB range at T10.

Ture but like Des you cant hit anything past 15 anyway! :)

[STAR]
Members
2,954 posts
8,064 battles
25 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

And being t8 you always in a t10 fight. While the armor says yes the guns say no.

Actually, facing T10 is kinda good. Targets are bigger and thus easier to hit, and you get less overpens. 

WG could you increase the secendary range to say 10km or give her a large dispersion buff?

She doesnt really need a buff right now. But if this CE skill nerf comes to live servers i would like to see a dispersion buff. One of Romas greatest tools is her concealment, with this nerf im worried how this could impact her. 

[SOV]
Members
1,375 posts
45 minutes ago, Xlap said:

Actually, facing T10 is kinda good. Targets are bigger and thus easier to hit, and you get less overpens. 

She doesnt really need a buff right now. But if this CE skill nerf comes to live servers i would like to see a dispersion buff. One of Romas greatest tools is her concealment, with this nerf im worried how this could impact her. 

Plus cv is every game I am wondering is stealth will even be worth specking into

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,617 posts
2,633 battles
19 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Plus cv is every game I am wondering is stealth will even be worth specking into

Very yes. Roma has fantastic concealment. One of the best in tier/type if I remember 

[STAR]
Members
2,954 posts
8,064 battles
22 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

CVs are losing a lot of their scouting/spotting abilities. I think that unless some major nerf, concealment is always going to be huge. It allows you to dictate the game. The enemy cant shoot what they cant see. 

[RKLES]
Members
8,332 posts
10,558 battles
23 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

That depends on how many CVs are in each battle since 1 squadron up at a time per CV. So Concealment may still be viable. And CE skill nerf will hurt the CVs as well so they can get spotted more easily. And once spotted and with all the panic over the rework you can expect all long range guns to fire away at the CV until it dies.

Members
2,803 posts
11,794 battles
1 hour ago, Erebthoron said:

The range is truly absurd. How do shells that are so fast just all the sudden drop out of the air? At 18.12km they penetrate 388mm and at 18.13km they drop into the ocean.

• Funny 1

Members
26 posts
2,428 battles

Biggest problem with the roma is the insane pen it has for it's tier, it means that nearly all shell onto cruisers are overpens, except at long range where you probably won't even hit them, and even then you get a substantial amount of overpens. It's great against BBs, but still can't hit them half the time.

Members
825 posts
10,540 battles

Dude, count your blessings.  I'll take Roma ANYDAY over this biggest-regret-of-a-purchase Gascoigne of mine.

Edited by Airglide2

[-V1-]
Members
268 posts
5,612 battles

FIX THE DISPERSION of ROMA - PLEASE!    Love the Ship, it is Beautiful, Fast, Agile but the Dispersion is all over the place.    

[DRACS]
Members
4,094 posts

Roma's biggest problem is her citadel vulnerability that allows her take critical hits through her much thinner upper belt. Fix that and the rest is somewhat manageable.

[KNMSU]
Members
4,694 posts
5,100 battles

Her guns are fine. Their range is stupid. +2 km would be the only buff I would look for (or AA - either/or). 

Edited by Battleship_ContediCavour

[MOH]
Members
436 posts
1,703 battles

The biggest issue is her insane vertical dispersion patterns.  Interestingly, the ballistics are almost identical to the 15" guns on the Richelieu/Alsace, but Wargaming seems to have implemented wider vertical dispersion patterns on purpose.  When shells hit, they do fantastic damage, but they often either fall short or shoot over your target.  This makes her overall gunnery feel very unreliable compared to other purist gunboats like the North Carolina, Amagi, or Richelieu. 

Statistically, it all works out, and Roma would seem to need no buffs.  But, she could use a few quality of life improvements who help her overall "enjoyment" across the board.  I wouldn't mind the following changes to the ship:

• Improvement of her sigma to 2.0 or 2.1.
    • This will improve her shell consistency, but she'll still have the same overall vertical dispersion
  • Change her reload from 30s to either 32s or 34s
    • Reduce her DPM to compensate for her improved accuracy
  • Increase her range to 19 or 20km
    • Seriously, 18.12km is brutal, and I don't think would make the ship overpowered.

[ALL41]
Members
150 posts
4,956 battles
3 hours ago, jags_domain said:

As I love my bb's to brawl, I agree with your request above.    Quite often my T8's Roma, Alabama, NC and Kii sit in port, because I'm grabbing a ship with better 2nd range; Mass, Tirpitz, Gasgogne, Bismarck.     I've considered buying Vanguard, but with her 5km 2nds, there's no "wow" factor for me with that bote.  

Edited by ThumperD702

Beta Testers
1,473 posts
7,283 battles
59 minutes ago, CenturioRomanus said:

Biggest problem with the roma is the insane pen it has for it's tier, it means that nearly all shell onto cruisers are overpens, except at long range where you probably won't even hit them, and even then you get a substantial amount of overpens. It's great against BBs, but still can't hit them half the time.

It's not the penetration that leads to overpens versus cruisers.  According to the AP calculator, it's not out of the ordinary for 406mm+ guns.  Roma has less pen than Amagi under 10km, and  slightly less pen than Alabama at all ranges.  The overpens happen because of fuse arming thresholds.  Against cruiser plating it's near impossible to get regular pens because BB caliber shells require around 64mm of armor to arm the fuses.   For 27mm plating that requires a 65 degree angle, which Roma cannot achieve because her shells autobounce past 60 degrees.  Bascially, in order to get full pens versus cruiser plating you need to be in overmatch territory.

Roma's issue is her high shell velocity and very low drag values.  Even at the edge of her range, her shells come in fairly flat and make it difficult to hit lower citadels.  Throw in poor dispersion on top of that and you're in overpen city. 

[KNMSU]
Members
4,694 posts
5,100 battles

Actually, if I had to change one thing about the ship, it'd be the constant overpens on pretty much everything. It would be nice for it to feel less like a slot machine.

Edited by Battleship_ContediCavour

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,306 posts
15,805 battles
6 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

Extra main battery range isn't what she needs.  She'll have trouble hitting, period.  Accuracy is her achilles heel.  Roma for every given range, is about as accurate as Bismarck.  Both are 1.8 Sigma BBs.  But even with Roma's shorter main battery range than Bismarck, she is on par with the German.

qgqYAst.png

I would say that an improvement to accuracy, whether it be Sigma or raw Dispersion value, is what's needed with Roma.  She doesn't have good secondaries like Bismarck has.

I could live with the higher citadel, but the accuracy is the frustrating thing with the ship.

When Italian BBs come out, watch Littorio be a more reliable BB in gunnery :Smile_trollface:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SOV]
Members
1,375 posts
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Extra main battery range isn't what she needs.  She'll have trouble hitting, period.  Accuracy is her achilles heel.  Roma for every given range, is about as accurate as Bismarck.  Both are 1.8 Sigma BBs.  But even with Roma's shorter main battery range than Bismarck, she is on par with the German.

qgqYAst.png

I would say that an improvement to accuracy, whether it be Sigma or raw Dispersion value, is what's needed with Roma.  She doesn't have good secondaries like Bismarck has.

I could live with the higher citadel, but the accuracy is the frustrating thing with the ship.

When Italian BBs come out, watch Littorio be a more reliable BB in gunnery :Smile_trollface:

She has 155 mm sec gun batterys. Why the neck are they 5.5 km!

Edited by jags_domain

Members
95 posts
2,651 battles

I really like the Roma. The overpens are painful but it does help her uptier. Where other DDs in her tier are hammers, she is a scalpel. Her great concealment, speed, and maneuverability allow her to get in good position and flank. I usually don’t mind her dispersion.