You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
i9awn

Atlanta Torps fired at point blank; no hit?

19 comments in this topic

[-TD-]
Members
88 posts
1,771 battles

I uploaded a replay. At -13 :00 minutes I'm approaching a bb and I fire my torps almost at point blank. I get no hits and the torps just disappear. Is there an arming distance for torps on cruisers or was that a bug? 

Edit: Thanks for the fast replies; I never noticed an arming distance for torps on my DDs. Is it different for each ship? I should try and figure it out I guess.

20190118_205815_PASC006-Atlanta-1942_46_Estuary.wowsreplay

Edited by i9awn

[HINON]
Members
10,130 posts

There is a minimum arming distance, when you use torps to aim, where you start seeing the green area is how far until they arm.

• Cool 1

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,018 posts

Arming distance.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
20,095 posts
13,578 battles

Without viewing the replay; torpedoes have an arming distance, a minimum distance they have to travel before they arm. This is symbolized by the beginning of the green aiming range wedge when you select torpedoes. Were you within arming distance, causing them to just harmlessly Thud against the enemy hull and sink?

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Members
3,360 posts
1,503 battles

There is a minimum arming distance.

The wiki does not say what it is

Late to the party.

Edited by DrHolmes52
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[ARMDA]
Members
323 posts
2,523 battles

Reminds me of the Bad Advice video where :cap_hmm: threw torpedoes at a ship and they harmlessly bounced off.

• Cool 1

[STURM]
Members
370 posts
3,363 battles
1 hour ago, i9awn said:

Edit: Thanks for the fast replies; I never noticed an arming distance for torps on my DDs. Is it different for each ship? I should try and figure it out I guess.

It's honestly tiny, and I don't actually recall seeing it more than once in all my games. As for if it's different for every ship, maybe. But by such small amounts that it dosn't really matter.

The arming distance is actually shown in the in game UI. Ever notice how the aiming wedge for your torpedoes (not the arcs of your launchers, the wedge that shows where the launcher is pointing) starts a little way out from your ship? That's when the torpedoes arm.

Also, I think the triangles above the fish themselves only show up when the fish are live. It's not noticeable almost at all for surface ships, but carrier dropped torpedoes have a larger arming time, so sometimes you can negate the torps by turning into them and letting them hit before they arm and get the red warning triangle.

• Cool 1

[-TD-]
Members
88 posts
1,771 battles
1 minute ago, Baskerville77 said:

It's honestly tiny, and I don't actually recall seeing it more than once in all my games. As for if it's different for every ship, maybe. But by such small amounts that it dosn't really matter.

The arming distance is actually shown in the in game UI. Ever notice how the aiming wedge for your torpedoes (not the arcs of your launchers, the wedge that shows where the launcher is pointing) starts a little way out from your ship? That's when the torpedoes arm.

Also, I think the triangles above the fish themselves only show up when the fish are live. It's not noticeable almost at all for surface ships, but carrier dropped torpedoes have a larger arming time, so sometimes you can negate the torps by turning into them and letting them hit before they arm and get the red warning triangle.

Thanks that was helpful :)

[DANKY]
Members
695 posts
1,963 battles

It saved me from pinking once! I was going flank speed and a friendly Shima was coming flank speed straight at me, so he closed so fast he wasn’t nearby when I glanced at the minimap. He slid past me going a relative 80 knots and bounced my entire rack, thank jeebus. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
9,328 posts
15,768 battles

Ya can't just sail up next to a guy and toss yer torps onto his deck!

[KAPPA]
Members
443 posts
5,151 battles
3 hours ago, Baskerville77 said:

That's not actually true anymore, it seems. The reworked CV torps tend to be wonky about this from what Noster's been talking about.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup

Members
659 posts
5,656 battles
4 hours ago, Baskerville77 said:

It is always 0.3km for ship torpedoes, 0.5km for air dropped torpedoes.

[STURM]
Members
370 posts
3,363 battles
47 minutes ago, The_Painted_Target said:

It is always 0.3km for ship torpedoes, 0.5km for air dropped torpedoes.

Only 0.5km for CV torps?

Wow, I really thought it was longer, considering how many times I've been hit with dud CV fish. I guess the players were trying to hit me after 0.6km to give me less reaction time and cut it too fine.

[TBOW]
Members
1,527 posts
11,480 battles

Personally I think like everything, every once in a while we should get the Dud...  The Ammo that doesn't arm and bounces harmlessly.  Same for Torps, there should be a Dud once in a while.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,151 posts
5,524 battles
1 hour ago, GrimmeReaper said:

Personally I think like everything, every once in a while we should get the Dud...  The Ammo that doesn't arm and bounces harmlessly.  Same for Torps, there should be a Dud once in a while.

Zero-damage penetrations are already a thing in the game. While most of us view them as RNGesus saying F you, this could be what that is mimicking. As for torps, they are hard enough to hit with already, especially against bots - we don't need more issues in that respect, in my opinion.

[NWNG]
Members
2,564 posts
4,415 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Zero-damage penetrations are already a thing in the game. While most of us view them as RNGesus saying F you, this could be what that is mimicking. As for torps, they are hard enough to hit with already, especially against bots - we don't need more issues in that respect, in my opinion.

0 damage penetrations, means the shell detonated inside of something that has its own health pool, separate from the ship's health pool, or Torpedo Bulges. Remember when WG crew wanted to have hits to secondary and AA guns, and Torpedo Bulges, deal 10% damage to the ship? That was them trying to rectify it, and the forum went in an uproar about it.

Likely culprits for 0 Damage Penetration:

Penetrated Main Battery Turret.
Penetrated Secondary Battery Turret.
Penetrated Torpedo Turret (if applicable).
Penetrated Torpedo Bulge, but not main Ship.
Penetrated AA Battery (if applicable).

So no, those aren't duds.

[O_O]
Members
77 posts

It's a viable tactic when a  DD comes out behind an island to steer as close as you can to him as he's pulling around, in hopes of his torps not arming before they hit. It's not always successful, but when you are going the wrong direction and getting closer is the only option it can work.