Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

That time they rebuilt a Dutch guided missile frigate into a luxury superyacht

19 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
20,092 posts
13,547 battles

In the late 1970s, the Dutch navy designed and laid down 10 ships of the Kortenaer class guided missile frigates. These were 3900 ton ships with 2x 76mm Oto Melara guns, 2x 2 Mk46 torpedo launchers and 16 missile launch tubes. One of these ships, the HNLMS Piet Hein, was sold to the United Arab Emirates in 1998. There she served until being decommissioned in 2005.

LY68RBS.jpg

8wE8U8l.jpg

After her decomissioning, ADM Shipyards, based in Abu Dhabi, got their hands on the aging warhorse and set about rebuilding her. The result is the superyacht Yas, one of the largest and most luxurious motoryachts in the world:

6TmvYrX.jpg

B7HBg1l.jpg

I'm not sure what they kept other than the basic hull. Though the Wikipedia entry for Yas lists the same engine power, layout and performance as the Kortenaer class, so I suspect they kept the engines and drive train too.

7wgQxp5.jpg

I honestly think Yas is ugly with that large front window shaped the way it is, but one can't argue with taste I suppose. I'm sure she's a bastion of sumptuous luxury.

• Cool 4

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,980 posts
4,867 battles

Why not just buy a brand new modern superyacht though? :cap_yes:

[HINON]
Supertester
20,092 posts
13,547 battles
Just now, Super_Dreadnought said:

Why not just buy a brand new modern superyacht though? :cap_yes:

Why would you, when a perfectly servicable hull and drive train are available?

[HINON]
Members
10,098 posts
27 minutes ago, Lert said:

Well and the windows obviously conceal all the missiles and guns that are there to protect the investment in this luxury vessel.

[DOG]
Members
184 posts
6,920 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

I honestly think Yas is ugly with that large front window shaped the way it is, but one can't argue with taste I suppose. I'm sure she's a bastion of sumptuous luxury.

Well I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think she's certainly distinctive/unique and pretty damn sleek. The wikipedia didn't have a lot of information but it did have a couple of reference links (one of which had one interior shot). I'd have expected someone would have wanted to show off the interior (oh well).  I bet that front windowed area is pretty fantastic to be in.

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,060 posts
3,442 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

I'd think a 30 to 40 year old hull would have some corrosion issues and the machinery would be inefficient by comparison to more modern equipment, not to mention a parts nightmare.  But, the shipyard that converted her probably had people with more money than common sense in mind as buyers...  

• Cool 1

[-SYN-]
[-SYN-]
Alpha Tester
1,168 posts
4,829 battles
16 minutes ago, Murotsu said:

I'd think a 30 to 40 year old hull would have some corrosion issues and the machinery would be inefficient by comparison to more modern equipment, not to mention a parts nightmare.  But, the shipyard that converted her probably had people with more money than common sense in mind as buyers...  

Remodeling the interior spaces, overhauling the mechanics and fabricating a superstructure is probably a whole hell of a lot cheaper than building a whole new ship from scratch. I'm sure by modifying an existing ship they probably saved half the cost.

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,060 posts
3,442 battles
6 minutes ago, KingCakeBaby said:

Remodeling the interior spaces, overhauling the mechanics and fabricating a superstructure is probably a whole hell of a lot cheaper than building a whole new ship from scratch. I'm sure by modifying an existing ship they probably saved half the cost.

I wouldn't be so sure.  First, warships are built to be tougher than commercial vessels.  They generally have more compartmentation,  and machinery for damage control on a level that a commercial ship wouldn't have.  This class is COGOG.  That is, they use gas turbines for propulsion.  One pair is low speed (20 knots), the other pair is high speed (30 knots).

The compartmentation would be tighter.  There'd be magazines and other spaces in the hull that were no longer required.  Then you get into the plumbing and wiring of the frigate versus the much lower requirements for the yacht.  It does look like they took out the high speed gas turbines leaving only the low speed pair for 26 knots (on reduced tonnage) with a 20 knot cruise per the original frigate design.

The hull would still be going on 40 years old.  That means there will be some corrosion and stress issues with it regardless.  The only way I can see them saving cash on this is they got the frigate for next to nothing as it would otherwise be sold for scrap.

[-SYN-]
[-SYN-]
Alpha Tester
1,168 posts
4,829 battles
9 minutes ago, Murotsu said:

I wouldn't be so sure.  First, warships are built to be tougher than commercial vessels.  They generally have more compartmentation,  and machinery for damage control on a level that a commercial ship wouldn't have.  This class is COGOG.  That is, they use gas turbines for propulsion.  One pair is low speed (20 knots), the other pair is high speed (30 knots).

The compartmentation would be tighter.  There'd be magazines and other spaces in the hull that were no longer required.  Then you get into the plumbing and wiring of the frigate versus the much lower requirements for the yacht.  It does look like they took out the high speed gas turbines leaving only the low speed pair for 26 knots (on reduced tonnage) with a 20 knot cruise per the original frigate design.

The hull would still be going on 40 years old.  That means there will be some corrosion and stress issues with it regardless.  The only way I can see them saving cash on this is they got the frigate for next to nothing as it would otherwise be sold for scrap.

For the sake of comparison the Topaz, the 8th largest yacht in the world (Yas is the 7th), was built for 527 million. The Yas was completed for 180 million. A ship built from scratch to fit the requirements would most likely be around 580 million based on the building costs of other super yachts. With 400 million dollars saved, I would imagine they would have the wiggle room to fix whatever issues the hull might have and still come out cheaper than one built new. The owner is a baller on a budget.

[RKLES]
Members
8,340 posts
10,570 battles
4 hours ago, Lert said:

In the late 1970s, the Dutch navy designed and laid down 10 ships of the Kortenaer class guided missile frigates. These were 3900 ton ships with 2x 76mm Oto Melara guns, 2x 2 Mk46 torpedo launchers and 16 missile launch tubes. One of these ships, the HNLSM Piet Hein, was sold to the United Arab Emirates in 1998. There she served until being decommissioned in 2005.

LY68RBS.jpg

8wE8U8l.jpg

After her decomissioning, ADM Shipyards, based in Abu Dhabi, got their hands on the aging warhorse and set about rebuilding her. The result is the superyacht Yas, one of the largest and most luxurious motoryachts in the world:

6TmvYrX.jpg

B7HBg1l.jpg

I'm not sure what they kept other than the basic hull. Though the Wikipedia entry for Yas lists the same engine power, layout and performance as the Kortenaer class, so I suspect they kept the engines and drive train too.

7wgQxp5.jpg

The reinforced hull that Warships would have as well as the improved engines are perks a Billionaire could want as well as the size of the ship. Not to mention some Yachts are armed since you can’t exactly call the police if pirates try to attack. And that hull is probably able to to take some hits from weapons pirates would likely use. I know of another yacht they added some armor to certain sections of it to safeguard the VIPs onboard in emergencies, so having a hull that is probably already strengthened would save time and effort.

That huge window is likely to provide a beautiful unobstructed veiw from the inside of sunrises and sunsets.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
9,328 posts
15,768 battles

John Wayne had a yacht that was a converted mine sweeper, though I am not sure of what the tonnage was she had been, at one time, a commissioned U S Navy warship; why shouldn't someone else turn a Missile frigate into their private yacht? Ya gotta know she's seaworthy.

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,060 posts
3,442 battles

Well, the inside is pretty impressive.

Master bedroom:

yas-master-bedroom-interior-greenline.jp

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,003 posts

Bloody gorgeous boat, both before and after

• Cool 1

[ERN]
[ERN]
Members
620 posts
8,603 battles

An unusual yet keen idea. 

I may not like the look of the ship as a yacht, but I wouldn't be surprised that some would like to have this former warship turned pleasure boat as their personal toy.

I for one, would love to have a small WW1 liner turned merchant raider as my personal yacht.

[RKLES]
Members
8,340 posts
10,570 battles

@Lert Any idea if the Super Yacht Yas is still armed with missiles or not?

Heard at least one Russian Yacht I think it was that was armed with defensive missiles and came with some armor plating as well.. Bet US Home Land Security was nevervous when that particular Russian yacht spent few days sitting in New York harbor while its owner visited US lol. But if you are one of the super rich with massive yacht it makes sense to have some forms of protection against pirates.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,092 posts
13,547 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

@Lert Any idea if the Super Yacht Yas is still armed with missiles or not?

I have no idea if Yas still has weapons. Makes sense that she would have something.

Sign in to follow this