Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
WuYixiang

Favorite vs. Best ships

27 comments in this topic

[INR]
Members
658 posts
3,741 battles

I'm sure everyone has a favorite ship or two, and everyone certainly knows what ship they perform the best in. Sometimes, it's even the same ship. So here's a question for ya. For those of you whose choices differ, what's your favorite ship, and what is your best ship?

My favorite is easily Aoba. She's a solid Tier 6 who performs pretty well even in Tier 8 games against ships with 4 more 203mm barrels than she (Myoukou and Mogami to name a couple). She's also my favorite ship historically.

When it comes to performance, though, the answer had to be the Zao. Her rifles, fire starting, and 12km fish are a force to contend with. She literally carried me through Ranked battles when Minotaur and Harugumo could not. But she could never be my favorite ship, for I loathe paper ships with a passion. She just happened to be the only Tier 10 that suits my style.

Edited by WuYixiang

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
441 posts
11,192 battles

I'd have to say the Bismark is my favorite ship. It was my first Tier 8 and a ship that I was looking forward to playing. I enjoy brawling in her and even though a lot of new Battleships have been introduced into the game nothing feels quite the same as sailing the Bismark. She also uptiers quite well, as long as CVs aren't prowling around, and watching her secondaries chew through enemy ships never gets old.

I also seem to do well in the Konig Albert and the Belfast but as they're possibly a touch overpowered I kept them out of it. 

Slainte.

Members
2,834 posts
3,078 battles

I wouldn't even know where to begin when looking for top preforming ships. The sample size for games played across all ships feels too small for anything accurate. So what do I look for? Highest average experience? Average damage? Win rate? Anyways among the three classes I play, 

Favorite Ships:

• Alabama 
  • Perth 
  • Benson

Top Performing Ships:

• Nagato
  • Fiji
  • Benson

[INR]
Members
658 posts
3,741 battles
2 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

The sample size for games played across all ships feels too small for anything accurate. So what do I look for? Highest average experience? Average damage? Win rate?

I left it open-ended so people can use their own metrics to come to their own conclusions. If your focus is damage, then use that. If you prefer WR, then go for it. Heck, even Base XP is a decent metric.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
354 posts
2,791 battles

Favorite real-life ship:  Yorktown CV-5-- not in game currently

In-game best ship: ScharnhorstMassachusetts should be my best ship, since I drive it the most,  but I get more favorable matchups whenever I take Scharnhorst out.  Tier VII seems to be in that sweet spot of not-too-hard vs not-too-easy.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
9,402 posts
18,804 battles

Favorite ship...? Des Moines; it’s the reason I got into the game...

...except I suck at it and refuse to play it in Randoms as a consequence.

Best ship? Not counting five game ships with 60-100% win rates; Mutsuki.

Roughly 56% wr in both the old T6 and the current T5.

[-TIC-]
Members
393 posts
2,379 battles

My favorite ship is probably the Kongo, which is one of the few ships I know anything about historically. The long evolution and service time from 1913 all the way to 1944 is interesting.

Best ship would probably be the Kagero at the moment, but I play a lot of different ships, so it usually varies a bit.

• Cool 1

[FBXGC]
Members
325 posts
2,120 battles
43 minutes ago, WuYixiang said:

She's also my favorite ship historically.

It's your favorite ship historically? You love ships whose captains commit atrocities?

[-TIC-]
Members
393 posts
2,379 battles
1 minute ago, HashtagYoloSwagChamp said:

It's your favorite ship historically? You love ships whose captains commit atrocities?

From a technical standpoint. I haven't read anything about the operational history.

• Cool 1

[FBXGC]
Members
325 posts
2,120 battles
3 minutes ago, Tentakkel said:

From a technical standpoint. I haven't read anything about the operational history.

Ah, it's a brutal read but the Indian Ocean raid (1944) always made me feel uncomfortable playing the Aoba so I fxp'd her and stopped reading about the IJN ships I enjoyed playing.

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
437 posts
7,510 battles

As far as Favorites and Best go, My favorites are typically the ships that I do the best in. If I don't like a ship, I more often than not play it like crap.

T5: Texas. Hands down my favorite. Maybe not my most capable (although I think it might be) but I love the overall defense against CV's at that tier. 

T6: Currently and new favorite has to be the FriedRice. Was Normandy and/or New Mex (personally I feel that I'm equally capable in both and like them equally); but I'm far more comfortable and capable with this new premium. Cruiser-wise, Dallas is a decent replacement for the Cleveland. Cleveland still beat it when it was there, but Dallas can hold its own and I enjoy it (especially now that it has a camo and qualifies for me keeping it).

T7: Lyon was my go-to for wanting to win a match. Unless a line ship ends up with a camo (or specific captain (Hipper)) I don't keep it; as such, I got rid of the Lyon for now. Jervis is my top DD for this tier and I like it and do well in it.

T8: Lots of favorites and "best" ships... Benson for certain. North Carolina, Bismarck, Mogami, Chapy… still working on getting all lines to this tier but I've got most of em. Cleveland, no matter what, holds a special place in my heart. It may no longer be my "best" ship, but it is still my "favorite" ship for all the good times I shared with it at tier 6.

T9: Options are limited for me here. So far the German BB (yeah yeah I'll get around to memorizing its name one day) is fun. People may say that it's not a good idea to try to brawl in tier9 and 10 games, but it's so far my favorite as far as BB's go. Musashi is the "Best" BB I have for this tier though. My favorite AND best "cruiser" is the Kron. Some people seem to have issues with it, but since game 1, I've been doing very well for myself. Same thing for the Fletcher. Although, being the only tier 9 DD I have, that may be a biased opinion.

T10: Only have 2 of them. Des Moines will likely stay one of my favorites for the foreseeable future.

[BBICT]
Members
3,573 posts
3,720 battles

Interesting thread...

I have ship A.D.D. so not sure if I have a favorite, LOL.

I have good games in ships as different as the Minotaur and Republic, it just seems to be whatever mood I'm in.

The Mass has turned into a favorite, not one I would have bought, but got her in a Crate, and its been love at first brawl. 

I WANT to like the Aigle. That seems like a strange thing to say, but she is so dang French I can't help but lover her, even though I SUCK at driving her. Looking forward to the biff she is getting. 

Speaking of biffs, the Dunk is another favorite that is getting some love. 

I also WANTED to like the Kron, but enough said about that... 

[INR]
Members
658 posts
3,741 battles
53 minutes ago, HashtagYoloSwagChamp said:

I'm not defending the captain, but a captain's decisions should not affect a ship. If that were the case, the vast majority of IJN ships would be unplayable. Additionally, at no point was Sakanju the CO of Aoba. Sure, he was the Admiral in charge of the fleet, but he never Captained the Aoba.

At worst, Aoba's COs can be accused of incompetence.

Subs like I-8, which submerged with PoWs on deck, are far worse in my eyes than Aoba.

Edited by WuYixiang

[INR]
Members
658 posts
3,741 battles
50 minutes ago, HashtagYoloSwagChamp said:

Ah, it's a brutal read but the Indian Ocean raid (1944) always made me feel uncomfortable playing the Aoba so I fxp'd her and stopped reading about the IJN ships I enjoyed playing.

Indeed. The Indian Ocean raid was a tragedy. Fortunately for me, I can separate a ship's history from its technical specifications and enjoy it for what it is. I don't believe a ship should be guilty by association - it's merely a large hunk of steel, after all.

[FBXGC]
Members
325 posts
2,120 battles
1 hour ago, WuYixiang said:

Indeed. The Indian Ocean raid was a tragedy. Fortunately for me, I can separate a ship's history from its technical specifications and enjoy it for what it is. I don't believe a ship should be guilty by association - it's merely a large hunk of steel, after all.

I can for the most part. Not exactly sure why Aoba gets me. 

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,132 posts
4,359 battles
21 minutes ago, HashtagYoloSwagChamp said:

I can for the most part. Not exactly sure why Aoba gets me. 

Well Aoba also had a penchant for friendly fire and bad command that, were IRL using the game's mechanics, would have AT LEAST left her all but perpetually pink. So there's that.

As for mine... Hoo boy, this'll be a list on both counts.

My favorites would include:

• Dunkerque (honhonhon!)
  • Roma (beautiful, handles like a dream, but those wonky guns...)
  • Cleveland (Swiss army knife of the tier 8 cruisers)
  • Nurnberg (range, accuracy, AND mobility)
  • Atlanta (ALL OF THE DAKKA!)
  • Akizuki (ohai IJN Atlanta)
  • Jervis (dat handling)
  • Hiryu (oh please don't suck, CV rework!)
  • Hindenburg (first tier 10)
  • Worcester (ohai tier 10 Atlanta/Cleveland lovechild)

Best ships on the other hand, I'm not entirely certain but my most educated guess would be:

• Dunkerque (she got me a kraken, that definitely counts)
  • Tirpitz (apparently my most played ship, at least at one point)
  • Hindenburg (toughest cruiser in the game, period. I will fight you on this)
  • Roon (super-Nurnberg, away!)
  • Alabama (reliable, no frills)
  • Akizuki (finally a DD I can get behind!)
  • Scharnhorst (can do ANYTHING)
  • Ranger (everyone else says she sucks, I had a blast with her)
  • Leander (that grind was over waaaaaay too soon)
  • Danae (how I learned to stop worrying and love the Royal Navy)

[ARGSY]
Members
1,711 posts
10,042 battles

Best - Vampire/Chapayev/Saint Louis

Fave - Izyaslav/Chapayev

Kirov and Gnevny get hon. mentioned.

Oh boy, I loves me my Izzy.

[INR]
Members
658 posts
3,741 battles
40 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Well Aoba also had a penchant for friendly fire and bad command that, were IRL using the game's mechanics, would have AT LEAST left her all but perpetually pink. So there's that.

While I cannot disagree with the bad command, I can't find any instances of friendly fire in her Tabular Record of Movement. Perhaps you're thinking of Mogami, who sank 5 friendly ships with a 6-torpedo spread and rammed Nachi, Mikuma, and an unnamed oiler?

Side note:  Since Aoba never actually got her hands dirty with friendly fire, she wouldn't actually have been punished by WoWs's anti-TK systems. Mogami would be orange, though.

40 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

My favorite ships are also my best ships, Akizuki and Harugumo (yes yes i'm a very filthy person)

Akizuki is great. I hate Kitakaze and Harugumo for some reason. :/ Can't seem to translate my love of Akizuki to either of them.

Edited by WuYixiang

[ALL41]
Members
150 posts
4,956 battles

OP--Great topic.   What a fun read of the other player's choices.      I've only been playing a few months, and co-op is where I prefer to play right now.      Random is on the radar, but I'm having fun where I'm at.   

Favorites:

Fiji--the first few games in this thing I was giggling repeatedly.    I went about 50K over on ShipXP before unlocking Edinburgh because I didn't want to ruin the love affair by casting her aside.   Note; I hated Edinburgh, like the Neptune, haven't yet reached Minotaur.      The Fiji is still in my port...the Edinburgh was sold for scrap after getting Neptune.  

Mass/Tirpitz--I love brawling bb's, so...yeah...'nough said.      When MassB's/TirpitzB's shiny paint job looks like smoldering fireplace charcoal at the end of the game...then, oh yeah...we had some fun!  

Kii--I don't do especially well in her, I don't score a bunch of points in her, but for some strange reason I absolutely love her--I can't explain why.     Looking forward to her upcoming buff. 

Best:    (as measured by damage caused)

Jean Bart--the unique gun arrangement often requires showing a lot of broadside to get the big secondary guns at the back to fire.      This bote requires a different strategy to play...I like that aspect of it.   My absolute top-scoring game is in this bote--313K damage.

Kurfurst--just obtained/unlocked it today.    Oh...What...Fun!      I've played less than 20 games in it, and already had a game of 249K damage...my second-highest ever score.     11.1km  secondaries w/o signal flag...oh, you poor enemy dd's...you picked the wrong bote to pester!     I believe this may be the start of a beautiful relationship!!   

• Cool 1

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

For performance;
BB; Scharnhorst.
CL; Fiji.
DD; T-61. (She's fun too!)

For fun:
BB; None. I don't find playing BBs to be as fun as Cruisers and DDs.
CL; Yubari.
DD; Vampire.

For fun and performance;
Kamikaze, Perth.

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,517 posts
11,877 battles

Favorite ships:

Midway

Enterprise

Taiho

Black

My best performace:

Taiho

image.thumb.png.69b3f361e1b8c4ae79d60746810293d1.png

Enterprise

image.thumb.png.5d0faf39102064ed27db7b42f34385fb.png

Black

Oh well this cv rework is going kill my game.

Members
1,193 posts
3,156 battles
11 hours ago, WuYixiang said:

Akizuki is great. I hate Kitakaze and Harugumo for some reason. :/ Can't seem to translate my love of Akizuki to either of them.

I can understand not liking Harugumo but it's odd that you didn't like Kitakaze since Kitakaze is a straight upgrade over Akizuki. 

[INR]
Members
658 posts
3,741 battles
32 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

I can understand not liking Harugumo but it's odd that you didn't like Kitakaze since Kitakaze is a straight upgrade over Akizuki. 

I think the paper-shippiness with T9 MM outweighs the real T8 MM.

Sign in to follow this