torino2dc

Help understanding abrupt D/Cs

6 comments in this topic

[-HON-]
Members
7 posts
11,648 battles

I am trying to get to the bottom of this issue and I am stuck.

Situation: On my home network and using wired internet, anytime the ping goes above ~90ms there is a good chance I get kicked from the server. On average this occurs around twice per match: certainly enough to consistently ruin the experience.

However, when I'm on my home network and using WiFi, this no longer happens. The ping may spike to ~900ms for a bit, but after a few seconds things are fine again. To my knowledge, I've never been kicked from the server when on WiFi. 

Variables: Both my housemate and I play WoWS on wildly differing (windows) machines and experience the exact same phenomenon with the exact same frequency. Neither of us has experienced any such effect on other online multiplayer titles. 

Although WiFi is passable for gaming, I would very much like to switch to wired -- especially as my WiFi struggles with both discord and WoWS at the same time. 

If anyone is able to offer insight into this problem (I don't even know what to google at this point), I would be very grateful.

~Torino

[WOLF5]
Members
470 posts
7,978 battles

For starter, you might want hook up 1 pc into the cable modem(or dsl?) directly,to see what happens ? Play a couple of games that way...you might just need a new(different) router..... They do crap out some times..... And some cable modems are known not so good for gaming, so if you have same problems with router eliminated,,get a different cable modem.... What other titles you are playing online,without problems ? Also,im wondering if wow servers have problem with 2 of you playing in the same time from the same ip address ?? Sometimes wargaming support can give easy answers\solutions,,,,(sometimes).....did you contact them ? 

Edited by VonSmallHausenn

[-HON-]
Members
7 posts
11,648 battles

Thanks for the reply. 

12 hours ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

What other titles you are playing online, without problems?

I also play WoT and WoWP without issues. My housemate plays WoW, LoL, Atlas, Planetside 2, Minecraft, among others. 

Also, I'm wondering if wow servers have problem with 2 of you playing in the same time from the same IP address ?? 

We've documented this happening when only one of us plays WoWS. 

For starter, you might want hook up 1 PC into the cable modem directly, to see what happens? 

I will try this, good idea to try and isolate whether it's the modem or the router. 

Sometimes Wargaming support can give easy answers\solutions, (sometimes).....did you contact them ?

I didn't realize they had a technical support section. I will see if I can get in touch with them.

• Cool 1

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
184 posts
5,546 battles

Another thing to look at is the cable, there should be 4-pairs of wire (8 wires) in the connector. Some older modems/routers only came with cables that had 2-pair. Cheap cables break and this can cause intermittent issues. However, this does sound like a router/switch issue. If you have 2 dedicated pieces of equipment, router and modem, the test that @VonSmallHausenn mentioned is easy unless your ISP required authentication over PPPoE and your modem is in bridge mode. Ping or DM me if you require any help should it be required with that.

Community Department
2,345 posts
597 battles
On 1/19/2019 at 2:26 AM, torino2dc said:

I am trying to get to the bottom of this issue and I am stuck.

Situation: On my home network and using wired internet, anytime the ping goes above ~90ms there is a good chance I get kicked from the server. On average this occurs around twice per match: certainly enough to consistently ruin the experience.

However, when I'm on my home network and using WiFi, this no longer happens. The ping may spike to ~900ms for a bit, but after a few seconds things are fine again. To my knowledge, I've never been kicked from the server when on WiFi. 

Variables: Both my housemate and I play WoWS on wildly differing (windows) machines and experience the exact same phenomenon with the exact same frequency. Neither of us has experienced any such effect on other online multiplayer titles. 

Although WiFi is passable for gaming, I would very much like to switch to wired -- especially as my WiFi struggles with both discord and WoWS at the same time. 

If anyone is able to offer insight into this problem (I don't even know what to google at this point), I would be very grateful.

~Torino

Before contacting the support please create WGCheck report with extended network diagnostics switch on, it will increase the speed of investigation of the issue.
Attach the report to your ticket and also specify the model of your router and type of the connection.