You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HeathenForay

"You're playing to win" - Overload. Rant.

27 comments in this topic

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
739 posts
6,256 battles

I was struggling to complete a certain campaign requirement and my clan-mate correctly pointed out my mistake was playing to win. "Just charge in and torp a bunch of people, if you die who cares the mission is done." Didn't even occur to me, but he was absolutely right.

Too many aspects of this game encourage bad play.

Now I won the Icarus for the SECOND TIME. I will sell it for the second time. No I'm not mounting upgrades, I'm not wasting flags, and I'm certainly not wasting credits/elite commander XP to drop one of my 10pt captains in it. I'm going to speed boost into the red spawn to get the stupid mission requirement, and do what I can before die. Gotta dumb myself down I guess. Playing to win just doesn't always get you what you need unfortunately because some [edited] face is going to play poorly and beat you to it with stupidity.

Every time there's events the team composition goes from bad to worse and the level of stupidity goes through the roof. And yes, I've grown accustomed to it.

Also, once I'm done with PEF steel campaign I'm taking a break for at least a week. I'm just burnt out. 

Clan battles  - Ranked - PEF steel - PEF campaign - PEF missions - snowflakes and trying to finish grinds for snowflakes - my usual duties and recruitment efforts as a clan commander - REAL LIFE with work and family around the holidays. It's just too much, the tedium just sucks the joy out of the game. Thanks for all the stuff WG but come on...

Every year the same request goes ignored by Wargaming. Don't overload us with grindy crap over the holidays PLEASE. I've been getting salty even by my less than pleasant standards and the PEF while workable just doesn't feel like it was worth the effort overall. Should've just focused on Clan Battles but that's what happens when there's a ton of things dividing your attention.

Rant off. Smooth sailing everyone.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 8

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
3,763 posts
10,309 battles

You could always just decide not to grind... And stop playing... 

• Cool 6
  • Funny 2

[KSE]
Members
7,741 posts
8,075 battles

Co-op, good sir, is the answer to the question you didn't ask.

That question, by the way, is: Isn't there an easier way to do all this grinding? Yes, yes there is.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
2,575 posts
3,565 battles
10 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

You could always just decide not to grind... And stop playing... 

I've never understood playing to grind in any game, least of all a F2P game like WoWs. Unless you find grinding itself fun, which is also something I'll never understand.

If an event is on and I get free stuff just for playing normally, sweet. If I don't get anything, that's cool. I'm just playing either way.

• Cool 4

[STURM]
Members
370 posts
3,363 battles

Not exactly feeling sympathy for someone deliberately playing badly and complaining that "WarGaming is making me do too many things," instead of just picking a few to focus on.

Seriously, the reason why there are so many things is so everyone had something that appeals to them, not to pressure everyone into doing everything. People don't say "Blizzard pressures me into playing the classes I hate in WOW by having them exist."

Do the tasks that get you the rewards you want, and put in a good faith effort to your team while doing them. Deliberately playing poorly make you a troll, and a blight on any multiplayer game.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WORX]
Members
2,572 posts
13,955 battles
29 minutes ago, HeathenForay said:

my clan-mate correctly pointed out my mistake was playing to win. "Just charge in and torp a bunch of people, if you die who cares the mission is done." Didn't even occur to me, but he was absolutely right.

^^^^ This is a matter of opinion, IMO this advise was wrong in all levels. Yes some players are more materialistic, would only take the easy way out to just finish the grind.

But then, why ask a game developer for a challenge and then take the lazy easy way to finish it ? To me it doesn't make sense, but it is what it is.

Not everyone plays the way you described. If people want to cheat the system because the challenge is hard, then there is nothing I or anyone else who plays for the challenge. Can do to change their intentions.

This is why we cant have good stuff. To many people will complain or get offended for getting free stuff for a little grindy mission. All because other people choose to play/take the system to finish their missions.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 2

[GODS]
Members
281 posts
9,842 battles
33 minutes ago, HeathenForay said:

I was struggling to complete a certain campaign requirement and my clan-mate correctly pointed out my mistake was playing to win. "Just charge in and torp a bunch of people, if you die who cares the mission is done." Didn't even occur to me, but he was absolutely right.

Now I won the Icarus for the SECOND TIME. I will sell it for the second time. No I'm not mounting upgrades, I'm not wasting flags, and I'm certainly not wasting credits/elite commander XP to drop one of my 10pt captains in it. I'm going to speed boost into the red spawn to get the stupid mission requirement, and do what I can before die. Gotta dumb myself down I guess. Playing to win just doesn't always get you what you need unfortunately because some [edited] face is going to play poorly and beat you to it with stupidity.

Every time there's events the team composition goes from bad to worse and the level of stupidity goes through the roof. And yes, I've grown accustomed to it.

Also, once I'm done with PEF steel campaign I'm taking a break for at least a week. I'm just burnt out. 

Clan battles  - Ranked - PEF steel - PEF campaign - PEF missions - snowflakes and trying to finish grinds for snowflakes - my usual duties and recruitment efforts as a clan commander - REAL LIFE with work and family around the holidays. It's just too much, the tedium just sucks the joy out of the game. Thanks for all the stuff WG but come on...

Every year the same request goes ignored by Wargaming. Don't overload us with grindy crap over the holidays PLEASE. I've been getting salty even by my less than pleasant standards and the PEF while workable just doesn't feel like it was worth the effort overall. Should've just focused on Clan Battles but that's what happens when there's a ton of things dividing your attention.

Ive always found that if I don't try to complete a challenge I end up doing it.  I would suggest just to play like normal and don't think about it.  It will get done faster

Members
227 posts
3,363 battles

OP is probably pissed cause the PEF sucks and he paid for it. The rewards from what i can see for that mission basically suck. So yeah the whole thing sucks. Enjoy!

Edited by steelers_rule_2018

[INTEL]
Members
998 posts
9,842 battles
33 minutes ago, HeathenForay said:

Actually your friend is wrong. Your mistake is feeling like you have to complete the mission at all. 1) its not required to complete the campaign, 2) you're too good of a player to consider not playing to win. Complete the campaign the easiest/fastest way possible without throwing your ship away. When you finish go back and pick up as many missions as you can in the time remaining.

16 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

The Mission requires Random or Ranked.

• Cool 1

[KSE]
Members
7,741 posts
8,075 battles
Just now, Ares1967 said:

Actually your friend is wrong. Your mistake is feeling like you have to complete the mission at all. 1) its not required to complete the campaign, 2) you're too good of a player to consider not playing to win. Complete the campaign the easiest/fastest way possible without throwing your ship away. When you finish go back and pick up as many missions as you can in the time remaining.

The Mission requires Random or Ranked.

They all have co-op missions, irrc, just repeat them.

[INTEL]
Members
998 posts
9,842 battles
1 minute ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Oh I agree, do the easy/fast missioins to get the campaign rewards. Once he has them done he can go back and pick up whatever he missed with the time remaining.

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles

it's kinda like someone claiming they had to rob a bank in order to pay their bills, no? there are right and wrong ways to do things.

[SALVO]
Members
18,400 posts
18,943 battles
1 hour ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

That question, by the way, is: Isn't there an easier way to do all this grinding? Yes, yes there is.

Not necessarily, KD.  If it's the mission task I'm thinking of, i.e. task #1 of part 3 of the Mighty Prinz campaign, an Icarus has to spot 6 enemy ships in random or ranked, but coop isn't allowed.

1 hour ago, HeathenForay said:

Dude, I'll give you that it  doesn't seem worth it to pay to put a 10 point captain into an Icarus (after you've passed it by).  And I suppose that that's kind of the root of the problem.  Spotting 6 enemy ships while trying to play to win is NOT that difficult.  But trying to do it without a CE trained captain may be asking a bit much, particularly if you're getting dragged into higher tier battles against more and more DDs that do have  CE trained captains.

The truth is, though, that you don't HAVE to play that particular task.  You can skip it and complete that part of the mission.  I did it with the Nurnberg task and the Normandie task.

I also agree that it really seems like WG went a bit overboard with just how much they dumped on us this holiday season for events and campaigns, not to mention clan battles.  I could have done without the clan battles.

[DPG]
Members
1,119 posts
5,451 battles

Always do your best no matter what mission you're "grinding."  The completion will come soon enough.  Some people are really good at burning through these campaigns in no time, but then some people don't remember what the sun looks like.

• Funny 1

Members
2,845 posts
3,092 battles

Good thing the Icarus part of the campaign is the easiest to breeze through. Just mainly spot 6 people four times in a row and you're done. 

[KNMSU]
Members
4,726 posts
5,104 battles

I pretty much only play to win. I mean, I love warships, and like looking at the models and such. But, ultimately, this is a solo experience masquerading as co-op... and in that kind of setting, individual performance should matter.

[PVE]
Members
12,562 posts
8,541 battles
2 hours ago, HeathenForay said:

These below

2 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

1 hour ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

49 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Not necessarily, KD.  If it's the mission task I'm thinking of, i.e. task #1 of part 3 of the Mighty Prinz campaign, an Icarus has to spot 6 enemy ships in random or ranked, but coop isn't allowed.

Dude, I'll give you that it  doesn't seem worth it to pay to put a 10 point captain into an Icarus (after you've passed it by).  And I suppose that that's kind of the root of the problem.  Spotting 6 enemy ships while trying to play to win is NOT that difficult.  But trying to do it without a CE trained captain may be asking a bit much, particularly if you're getting dragged into higher tier battles against more and more DDs that do have  CE trained captains.

The truth is, though, that you don't HAVE to play that particular task.  You can skip it and complete that part of the mission.  I did it with the Nurnberg task and the Normandie task.

I also agree that it really seems like WG went a bit overboard with just how much they dumped on us this holiday season for events and campaigns, not to mention clan battles.  I could have done without the clan battles.

Every stage of the Mighty Prinz campaign is doable in co-op. Just repeat the 2 star task. For stage 4, where you have the Icarus spot 6 ships mission in PvP, there is also a earn a Dev strike in PvP/Ranked for a star and for two stars the earn 25k XP after modifiers in T6+, which is easy to do, even in co-op. That 25k XP task after modifiers can be done in PvP, co-op, ranked and Clan Battles, so just repeat that one twice in what ever mode you prefer.

Otherwise, play to win and get your missions and tasks along the way. Anything else is letting the team down no matter the game mode.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,362 posts
10,013 battles

Okay makes sense now why I have seen some crazy DD play of late...don't have the PE missions so unaware...

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
146 posts
3,683 battles

Like equipping ramming flag to do stage 4 in coop 250k dmg as fast as possible? Lol

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
739 posts
6,256 battles
4 hours ago, Rickjoshi1765 said:

Ive always found that if I don't try to complete a challenge I end up doing it.  I would suggest just to play like normal and don't think about it.  It will get done faster

I agree 100% but when there's a lot to do it kinda feels like you're chasing your tail, trying to kill as many birds with one stone as possible. Like "shoot I could've won this if I just played that." Trying to make the most of the game time I have.

4 hours ago, steelers_rule_2018 said:

OP is probably pissed cause the PEF sucks and he paid for it. The rewards from what i can see for that mission basically suck. So yeah the whole thing sucks. Enjoy!

PEF is beautiful and can be fun but it's no prize. Not pissed at all I'm happy to have another German premium (for free! :) ), been trying to make the most of it. Meanwhile Arizona is laughing in a corner with GC...it seems to take a bit more effort than other ships in it's tier spread lol

3 hours ago, Crucis said:

This. I'm really just venting frustration but winning that DD AGAIN made my eye twitch a bit and the mission for it even more so (port slot is great). At least some of them are repeatable.  It's an extra level of annoying if you don't want to play it basically stock, a bit silly for people to put captains on them and upgrades if there's no intention to keep it and no need to grind it. Explains a lot of the painfully bad Icarus play I've seen lol

1 hour ago, Capn_Nugget said:

Like equipping ramming flag to do stage 4 in coop 250k dmg as fast as possible? Lol

Now THAT sounds like fun

Edited by HeathenForay

Members
1,307 posts
7,697 battles
5 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

You can't do the icarus mission in Coop.  only the 2 star/finale missions  can be done in coop.(setting aside the very first mission.)

the icaus one is either bugged or the tool tip is lying.   the mission is not spot 6 enemy ships.(6 spotting ribbons)  it is be the FIRST to spot someone in any number of battles 6 times.  Which means unless you are lucky, you have to do that one in 2 battles.

anyways, i will say some missions do encourage annoying behavior.   There was a mission a while back for CVs to spot so many players, or do spotting damage.(one of the 2, dont remember)   So my CV(in the enterprise) intentionally suicided all their planes to do the mission.  They didn't try to shoot down enemy planes or do drops.  They didn't like the team calling him out on their [edited], and they tried to pass the blame off to WG.  Needless to say but that didn't fly well with either team as it spilled into all chat. 

luckily i finished all of these missions but 2, so no more having to play these meh ships.  If i really want to complete the entire campaign, i could go back and play the horrific DD in the hatsu or play the nukemberg. 

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,158 posts
4,372 battles
6 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

See I'd go with that suggestion myself, except the bots have constantly been out to screw me over if the win condition is more complex than "win" ever since that mission series for the Russian captain.

Seriously, a friendly T-22 was passing between me and my target, he would have avoided my torps if he had just kept. Going. Straight. Instead this STUPID collection of code decided that the best thing to do was park DIRECTLY NEXT TO A BUDYONNY and unload his deck guns into it. And that's the story of how I got pink in co-op because of a bot.

[SPCU]
Members
563 posts
4,733 battles
2 hours ago, Landsraad said:

See I'd go with that suggestion myself, except the bots have constantly been out to screw me over if the win condition is more complex than "win" ever since that mission series for the Russian captain.

Seriously, a friendly T-22 was passing between me and my target, he would have avoided my torps if he had just kept. Going. Straight. Instead this STUPID collection of code decided that the best thing to do was park DIRECTLY NEXT TO A BUDYONNY and unload his deck guns into it. And that's the story of how I got pink in co-op because of a bot.

Skynet is a bit of a twirp... had ai shimakaze unload all of his torps almost point blank into my GKs belly because apparently :HAL9000: (not his real name...dont want to name and shame horrid ai) saw something shiny on the other side of my boat... failed his intuit check... and decided his torps would phase walk through my hull and devstrike the enemy ship on the other side of me... :cap_fainting:

[PT8TO]
[PT8TO]
Members
361 posts
13,545 battles

The following mission requirements need to be removed permanently:

1. Kill x number of ships while playing a specific ship in ranked or random battles.
  2. Kill x number of ships of a specific nation or class in ranked or random battles.
  3. Any mission that requires a CV above T6 in ranked or random battles.

All of these encourage bad play and completely ruin matchmaking. 

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,482 posts
12,162 battles

I do not grind anymore, I do not attempt to complete any of the missions, if they do happen to complete then yay me, now I like to use whatever my favourite ship is at the time and play it over and over, some might get board with doing this but there's certain ships I just like to play, so forget the grind and find a ship you really enjoy playing and play it