Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
vorlonagent

Making the PEF not suck

41 comments in this topic

[WOLF7]
Members
98 posts
3,298 battles

To the people that say there's nothing wrong with the PEF: What tactics do you use?  I've seen at least one poster that says they play it as a brawler.  Do you target certain ships, (cruisers?) and stay away from others (battleships?).

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,848 posts
6,889 battles

My way of playing her is simple, and follows five rules:

1. She is not using Battleship guns. Repeat this five times loudly. I am serious. This is the most important rule, this is your bible.

2. Cruisers are food, Battleships shall only be engaged when no other option presents itself. If you must do so, fire at the upper belts for normal penetrations.

3. Like almost every ship in this game, she can kite.

4. She has HE shells. Know them, use them when needed. But don't spam.

5. Side armor? What side armor?

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,968 posts
12,900 battles

Pretty much playing it anywhere except Randoms, is why I like it so much. I have a full secondary Build. I don't do Clan Battles but I think she wold be good if they did tier 6, It was good in Ranked mini.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles

max aa build, many games have dual cv games... the guns are to wonky to even try to focus on them. I have an 82 AA rating... at tier 6? that's crazy.

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

The tactic that I use to make my PEF not suck is to keep her in port. It works pretty well! :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[GT99]
Members
399 posts
6,396 battles
56 minutes ago, vorlonagent said:

To the people that say there's nothing wrong with the PEF: What tactics do you use?  I've seen at least one poster that says they play it as a brawler.  Do you target certain ships, (cruisers?) and stay away from others (battleships?).

I'll let you in on a little secret in PEF tactics.....are you ready?......Leave her in port, no problems. I digress, from what I understand it should be played it like a slow cruiser, it's not a battleship even though the game tells you it is.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,288 posts
10,452 battles

Play like the others have suggested. One tactic I like to use against other BB's is to abuse the secondary guns. If you have a secondary specked captain you can get a range of 7.2 

So Play like a heavy cruiser most of the time but if you see a BB that is getting close do a slow motion kite away and let them close. Soon as they are with in secondary gun range accelerate and keep them at the edge. Angle away and shoot HE. The fires will be non stop. PEF's armor is pretty good. If they get frustrated or start using back guns and pull away blap them with AP as they turn. 

He is pretty good and can operate independently because of his strong AA.

Members
2,575 posts
3,556 battles
53 minutes ago, Abides said:

I have an 82 AA rating... at tier 6? that's crazy.

My Independence agrees.

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles
5 minutes ago, Harathan said:

My Independence agrees.

every ships has a strength... I choose to maximize them... so many people keep trying to turn this into a Kurfurst. its a Cruiser with the best AA at its tier. More so, you get the most cv's at this tier... why people shy away from this is staggering.

[-PVE-]
Members
128 posts
9,783 battles

I have found that she makes a very good torpedo. :etc_red_button:

• Cool 1

Members
702 posts
23 minutes ago, Mykawa said:

I have found that she makes a very good torpedo. :etc_red_button:

Only ship I have survived a ram in. So now I try to have the last action to ram an enemy ship. 

[TX]
Members
358 posts
4,321 battles

Long story short, I play it like a Charles Martel or Saint Louis.... maybe a Henry IV...though I don't own one, so can't really, say. I kite, and try do draw forces away from objectives.... Basically, try to bait. The main difference is this Ship can take hits, where as those French cruisers, can not.

I shoot at long range at BB's with HE being nothing more than an annoyance to them (but if they are shooting me, and hopefully missing, that's fire that my team doesn't take; and surprisingly this BB handles long range fire, pretty well, as long as you don't go full broadside on them.). If a Cruiser shows Broadside for too long, I'll go with AP... and roll the dice (get snake eyes more often then not, though), but the chip damage with a chance of big damage is at least better than chip damage with a chance of some fire. 

I also use a Secondary Fire based captains. There real benefit is killing planes, but it has a fun factor with seeing the Secondary's going off when distance get close (which hopefully will be towards the endgame with your team ahead, and not the opposite...)

I do not go close to other BB's if I can help it, I try to keep them 12km to max gun range, away. Cruisers and DD's I get closer to them, but gotta be very wary of them torps, stay unpredictable in your turns and use that priority target # indicator as a sign to shift speeds and/or turn (even if it means that your rear turret never gets into position (of course after their torp load out is on cooldown, you can quit with the dodging, maybe, for around 2 of your main battery, reloads or so....

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,307 posts
4,997 battles

play her like a cruiser and you get a oversized  cruiser with horrible concealment,reload,speed,no torps and horrible krupp and air drag.

play her like a BB and you get a BB with small caliber,horrible penetration,average concealment,good speed,average HP ,good AA(long range only) and situational armor.

you can see the pattern here,she underperforms in both roles.

Edited by Cruxdei

[SALVO]
Members
18,314 posts
18,908 battles
1 hour ago, SireneRacker said:

My way of playing her is simple, and follows five rules:

1. She is not using Battleship guns. Repeat this five times loudly. I am serious. This is the most important rule, this is your bible.

2. Cruisers are food, Battleships shall only be engaged when no other option presents itself. If you must do so, fire at the upper belts for normal penetrations.

3. Like almost every ship in this game, she can kite.

4. She has HE shells. Know them, use them when needed. But don't spam.

5. Side armor? What side armor?

Oh really?  I think that the Konig, Lyon, Normandie, Dunkerque, among others would beg to differ.

[SALVO]
Members
18,314 posts
18,908 battles
5 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

play her like a cruiser and you get a oversized  cruiser with horrible concealment,reload,speed,no torps and horrible krupp and air drag.

play her like a BB and you get a BB with small caliber,horrible penetration,average concealment,good speed,average HP ,good AA(long range only) and situational armor.

you can see the pattern here, she underperforms in both roles.

The PEF's main guns are not that small.  There are plenty of other BBs that have guns smaller than the PEF, even if only marginally.

Members
2,575 posts
3,556 battles
52 minutes ago, Abides said:

every ships has a strength... I choose to maximize them... so many people keep trying to turn this into a Kurfurst. its a Cruiser with the best AA at its tier. More so, you get the most cv's at this tier... why people shy away from this is staggering.

At T6 the only AA I had to really worry about was if I got uptiered. Now there's actually a T6 ship I have to actively keep my planes away from. It's actually quite refreshing.

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles

i can make it work, but you'll never hear me saying there's nothing wrong with it.

my only advice would be: if you're running the secondary module, swap it for main battery accuracy.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,079 posts
9,516 battles
12 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Oh really?  I think that the Konig, Lyon, Normandie, Dunkerque, among others would beg to differ.

All those ship have way better AP penetration than PeF. I think that's what he meant by that. Hell I'm sure even Sharnhorst / Spee with 283mm guns must have around the same or slightly better penetration on its AP.

[S0L0]
Members
270 posts
6,083 battles

When fighting battleships, don't aim for the citadel, the upper belt is always better to get high damage salvos.
I'm aiming as if I'm driving a cruiser with big guns. I only played two games in her, but I enjoy her a lot already.

[SALVO]
Members
18,314 posts
18,908 battles
29 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

All those ship have way better AP penetration than PeF. I think that's what he meant by that. Hell I'm sure even Sharnhorst / Spee with 283mm guns must have around the same or slightly better penetration on its AP.

No, it's not.  You mean what you say.  He said that they weren't BB guns when they clearly are.  Furthermore, there's no difference between "BB guns" and "BC guns".  They're the  same freaking guns!!!  If you build a 12" gun for a BB and then decide to mount it on a BC instead, it doesn't suddenly become a lesser gun.  Battlecruisers are just "battleships" with less tonnage in armor and more tonnage in engines.  Their guns are no different.

If you can't mean what you say, how can you ever say what you mean?

• Bad 3

[JASH]
Members
3,603 posts
9,203 battles

Spec secondary a build with 17 pt. or higher captain, learn to use your rudder to manage your angles (gun and armor), learn to kite when/where appropriate, devastate and chunk CLs, CAs, DDs, CVs and BBs (even T8s, chew slowly with secondaries, upper belt and superstructure hits while kiting angles away).

Edited by MrKilmister

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
446 posts
11,224 battles

I have about 30 battles in her (only about a 52% win rate) but as long as she's top tier the PEF is a pretty fun ship. With BFT and AFT, plus the secondary module, she has 7.6 km secondaries which are excellent for whittling down ships at her tier. Her AA, again at her tier, can demolish full squadrons with ease. For targeting purposes I always choose cruisers first and in my last battle scored two devastating strikes in the same fight. Against BBs, regardless of their tier, I generally fire HE unless I'm in close brawling. 

My biggest issue with her, and the reason why she will be sitting in port from now on, is that she uptiers so poorly.  The PEF can't seem to penetrate higher tier cruiser armor well, let alone other battleships, and is made out of devastating strikes and matchsticks. Add to that her huge size and turning radius and she's also a torpedo magnet.  I enjoyed playing the ship but for every great fight there's two or three 'meh' ones and at least one "well that sucked" battle. Compared to the Warspite, or the Bayern, even the Normandie feels more competitive when uptiered, the PEF really is a struggle to enjoy against T7 and T8 opponents. 

Regardless, I wish you luck in your future games in her.   

Members
2,841 posts
3,085 battles

I play PEF like a US BB. Keep to mid range. Find a position where you'll have the most influence but have cover nearby in case too many guns focus you. This also helps to bait planes towards you sometimes. Get close to promote a team push. Aim at nearby DDs, whatever broadsides otherwise. Unless you're confident in your maneuvering try not to stay in a prolonged BB slugfest. Don't count on your secondaries to help you.   

[WOLF7]
Members
98 posts
3,298 battles
2 hours ago, Jolly_Rodgered said:

I have about 30 battles in her (only about a 52% win rate) but as long as she's top tier the PEF is a pretty fun ship. With BFT and AFT, plus the secondary module, she has 7.6 km secondaries which are excellent for whittling down ships at her tier. Her AA, again at her tier, can demolish full squadrons with ease. For targeting purposes I always choose cruisers first and in my last battle scored two devastating strikes in the same fight. Against BBs, regardless of their tier, I generally fire HE unless I'm in close brawling. 

My biggest issue with her, and the reason why she will be sitting in port from now on, is that she uptiers so poorly.  The PEF can't seem to penetrate higher tier cruiser armor well, let alone other battleships, and is made out of devastating strikes and matchsticks. Add to that her huge size and turning radius and she's also a torpedo magnet.  I enjoyed playing the ship but for every great fight there's two or three 'meh' ones and at least one "well that sucked" battle. Compared to the Warspite, or the Bayern, even the Normandie feels more competitive when uptiered, the PEF really is a struggle to enjoy against T7 and T8 opponents. 

Regardless, I wish you luck in your future games in her.   

Is BFT and AFT worth it for just the PEF's 105mm guns?  It should not affect the 150mm guns...

Sign in to follow this