Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
StoptheViolins

Shouldn't Ships Actually be Anchored in Port?

37 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

334
[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,703 posts

Shouldn't a ship in our port have their anchors down or shouldn't the ship itself be tied to a pier somewhere via mooring line?

I just realized today there isn't much keeping our ships from floating around the port...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,430
[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
3,760 posts
10,278 battles

They also rock on the water like they've been struck by a hurricane.... 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,481 posts
10 battles
8 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

Shouldn't a ship in our port have their anchors down or shouldn't the ship itself be tied to a pier somewhere via mooring line?

I just realized today there isn't much keeping our ships from floating around the port...

Being a Naval veteran I will say Ships NEVER use their anchors in port. They are always secured using mooring lines. 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
908
[NMKJT]
Members
3,443 posts
Just now, UssIowaSailor said:

Being a Naval veteran I will say Ships NEVER use their anchors in port. They are always secured using mooring lines. 

I see naval ships come into port from time to time. They use their anchors. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,481 posts
10 battles
1 minute ago, Wombatmetal said:

I see naval ships come into port from time to time. They use their anchors. 

 

LOL doubtful, the anchor itself is not what keeps a ship stationary it is the weight of the chain that keeps them secure. On the Iowa I don't think we ever let out less than 1000 feet of anchor chain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
908
[NMKJT]
Members
3,443 posts
Just now, UssIowaSailor said:

LOL doubtful, the anchor itself is not what keeps a ship stationary it is the weight of the chain that keeps them secure. On the Iowa I don't think we ever let out less than 1000 feet of anchor chain.

The anchor chain makes a loud noise when it drops, I hear it at home  and that's several miles inland. 

And I watch the ships pivot with the tide as it rolls in and out from my desk at work. You can see where the currents are by the different angles. Right now I'd say tide is flowing out as all the sterns are pointing towards the entrance to the bay

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
299
[5D3]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,232 posts
5,229 battles
13 minutes ago, UssIowaSailor said:

Being a Naval veteran I will say Ships NEVER use their anchors in port. They are always secured using mooring lines. 

But none of the ships in port are truly docked 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,731
[RLGN]
Members
9,416 posts
18,821 battles
12 minutes ago, UssIowaSailor said:

LOL doubtful, the anchor itself is not what keeps a ship stationary it is the weight of the chain that keeps them secure. On the Iowa I don't think we ever let out less than 1000 feet of anchor chain.

As long as they don’t lose the whole chain like in the anchor fail compilation I saw recently. :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
299
[5D3]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,232 posts
5,229 battles
Just now, Estimated_Prophet said:

As long as they don’t loose the whole chain like in the anchor fail compilation I saw recently. :Smile_teethhappy:

I watched a few of those. Some look down right scary. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
106
[KP]
Members
220 posts
202 battles
15 minutes ago, UssIowaSailor said:

Being a Naval veteran I will say Ships NEVER use their anchors in port. They are always secured using mooring lines. 

What about them being on slip ways fully built in the premium port? Cause that is soooooo how it's done.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
106
[KP]
Members
220 posts
202 battles
13 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

I see naval ships come into port from time to time. They use their anchors. 

 

I actually work on the largest dry dock in the western hemisphere IRL. They never use anchors anywhere near a moorage. It's something about 15 tons of steel and another 3 tons of anchor chain getting caught on moorage pilings that doesn't work so well for the dock owners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,019
[CTF80]
[CTF80]
Members
4,294 posts
11,449 battles

Our ships use GPS-linked azipods and bow thrusters to keep them in one spot.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
283
[ONAVY]
Members
983 posts
7,215 battles
2 minutes ago, IronMike11C4O said:

I actually work on the largest dry dock in the western hemisphere IRL. They never use anchors anywhere near a moorage. It's something about 15 tons of steel and another 3 tons of anchor chain getting caught on moorage pilings that doesn't work so well for the dock owners.

I learn something new everyday thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
243
[RTXN]
Beta Testers
891 posts
24 minutes ago, UssIowaSailor said:

Being a Naval veteran I will say Ships NEVER use their anchors in port. They are always secured using mooring lines. 

Unless they are med moored or they want the anchor under foot for heavy weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,481 posts
10 battles
9 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

The anchor chain makes a loud noise when it drops, I hear it at home  and that's several miles inland. 

And I watch the ships pivot with the tide as it rolls in and out from my desk at work. You can see where the currents are by the different angles. Right now I'd say tide is flowing out as all the sterns are pointing towards the entrance to the bay

So the ships are in an anchorage, not moored to a pier. When the OP said in port I assumed he was talking about ships alongside a pier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
908
[NMKJT]
Members
3,443 posts
2 minutes ago, IronMike11C4O said:

I actually work on the largest dry dock in the western hemisphere IRL. They never use anchors anywhere near a moorage. It's something about 15 tons of steel and another 3 tons of anchor chain getting caught on moorage pilings that doesn't work so well for the dock owners.

We're the second deepest natural deep water harbor in the world and perhaps we don't have any moorings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,481 posts
10 battles
12 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

As long as they don’t lose the whole chain like in the anchor fail compilation I saw recently. :Smile_teethhappy:

Being on anchor or mooring detail was one of the most dangerous details to be on in every day Navy life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
243
[RTXN]
Beta Testers
891 posts
2 minutes ago, UssIowaSailor said:

Being on anchor or mooring detail was one of the most dangerous details to be on in every day Navy life. 

Unless you are on Underway Replenishment detail - well maybe tied for most dangerous!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,481 posts
10 battles
2 minutes ago, jmanII said:

Unless you are on Underway Replenishment detail - well maybe tied for most dangerous!

True I forgot about that. I was almost always special attachment on the ships I was on so I didn't have to do any of those details. On the Iowa I was a gunners mate so we didn't do either one of those details either. We did have to do food replenishment detail in port. That was always fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,481 posts
10 battles
11 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

We're the second deepest natural deep water harbor in the world and perhaps we don't have any moorings

It is always fun when you don't set the anchor right and the ship starts dragging the anchor in the middle of the night so the anchor detail has to get up, take the anchor in and try and reset it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
243
[RTXN]
Beta Testers
891 posts
1 minute ago, UssIowaSailor said:

True I forgot about that. I was almost always special attachment on the ships I was on so I didn't have to do any of those details. On the Iowa I was a gunners mate so we didn't do either one of those details either. We did have to do food replenishment detail in port. That was always fun.

Was OOD/Gunnery/ASWO on a Sprucan and Burke. 

Never had the privilege of service on an Iowa.  That was like the ultimate duty station for a SWO (those and the Constitution). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,481 posts
10 battles
14 minutes ago, jmanII said:

Unless they are med moored or they want the anchor under foot for heavy weather.

I knew when hurricanes would threaten Norfolk Naval base, every ship that could get underway did and headed out to open sea and set up an anchorage there to ride out the storm. Safer than being moored to a pier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,481 posts
10 battles
1 minute ago, jmanII said:

Was OOD/Gunnery/ASWO on a Sprucan and Burke. 

Never had the privilege of service on an Iowa.  That was like the ultimate duty station for a SWO (those and the Constitution). 

I did a little time on the Radford, that particular Sprucan was NICE. I loved that ship. The Burke's came online after I got out. The last thing I did in the Navy was drive for Commodore Woodberry, commander Desron 2. When I wasn't driving I was running the NAVTAG computers for the officers. Giving them hypothetical scenarios so Jr Officers could get command experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,481 posts
10 battles
4 minutes ago, jmanII said:

Was OOD/Gunnery/ASWO on a Sprucan and Burke. 

Never had the privilege of service on an Iowa.  That was like the ultimate duty station for a SWO (those and the Constitution). 

LOL The Iowa was in REALLY bad material condition when I was on board. Turret one leaked between 5 and 15 gallons of hydraulic fluid a day just sitting there. With the turret powered up she hemorrhaged hydraulic fluid on the electrical decks. The newest powder he had for the guns was from the 60's. The majority of it from the 40's. The Iowa got jobbed when she was getting modernized, they rushed her into service three or four months early to relieve the New Jersey off of Lebanon. So she was a very dangerous ship to be on, April 19th showed us why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,481 posts
10 battles
9 minutes ago, jmanII said:

Was OOD/Gunnery/ASWO on a Sprucan and Burke. 

Never had the privilege of service on an Iowa.  That was like the ultimate duty station for a SWO (those and the Constitution). 

I always heard that the Spruances were better ASW platforms than the Burke's, any truth to that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×