Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Krobekishnuv

Discussion of +1/-1MM

84 comments in this topic

[USA01]
Members
48 posts
2,424 battles

Alright, So +1/-1 MM has many benefits to the game, such as nerfing/buffing not being as necessary, and the obvious problems of low skill/low tier players being pitted against high tier and high skilled players, it wouldn't completely resolve the skill but nothing ever could, except maybe skill based mm, but for now I'd like to focus on just the tiers. So those are some of the positives. What negatives could there be from this, and what positives could there be that I haven't listed before?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 5

[KOI-S]
Members
236 posts
1,509 battles

Sadly this is not a new request. Not the first and wont be the last.

Honestly i dont think any player hates the idea, as no one likes being the bottom tier. However WG has refused to implement such things.

[NSF]
Beta Testers
5,150 posts
7,299 battles

I can tell you right now that it would be a hell of a lot less frustrating. 

• Cool 4

Members
2,575 posts
3,565 battles
2 minutes ago, xovian said:

Honestly i dont think any player hates the idea, as no one likes being the bottom tier. However WG has refused to implement such things.

I believe the reason given was that WG felt that queue times would take too long with a +1/-1 spread. I assume they've run the numbers; they know how unpopular +2/-2 is. I mean, they've either checked and it won't work (in which case they won't do it) or they don't care and the 1,001st post isn't going to convince them otherwise (in which case they won't do it).

Edited by Harathan

Members
874 posts
17,083 battles

If it started costing WG real money, they'd change it... but since people will spend here despite such mechanics, well, why should they listen/implement such a change?

Members
2,575 posts
3,565 battles

By the way OP, was this the topic you tried to bring up in a match and got chat banned? Cos if it was, I don't blame them. This has been brought up a thousand times; trying to bring it up again in a match is just a good way to wind people up.

Edited by Harathan

Members
2,575 posts
3,565 battles
Just now, zapporius said:

Only downside would be longer queue times. That's it. And all the benefits.

Yeah, but the question is how much longer. There's a fair number of players who'd be triggered by a 5 minute wait.

[HINON]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
2,560 posts
4,805 battles

In my mind it would make the game far more boring and there would be no incentive to really learn how to play a ship in all circumstances.  The game would become cookie cutter and you would still get people complaining that MM wasn't 0+/-0 and ships balanced to +/-1 would lead to much more in the way of gimmicks to differentiate them .

Now, me, I would prefer +/-3  from t2 through t10 like it used to be so there was a challenge at all tiers, but I accept that is never going to happen.

Edited by MaliceA4Thought
  • Cool 5
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 5

Members
20,839 posts
5,617 battles
2 minutes ago, Harathan said:

Yeah, but the question is how much longer. There's a fair number of players who'd be triggered by a 5 minute wait.

Yep, I'm not waiting 5 minutes to play a game that could only take 6 to play.

I mean, it's all well and good if you're chatting on discord, or alt-tabbed and doing something else while you wait, and you have lots of time available, but we aren't all like that.

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,646 posts
2,637 battles

I'm world of tanks I can see +/-1 mm. A higher tier tank has all the benifits over a lower tier tank. They will always pen, usually out spot (if same class), and have much higher alpha.

In wows that's not true. 

For starters you have fires. Any ship can light any ship on fire. Battleships have large enough shells to penetrate most things, and everything else has HE. Let alone the fact you have may have torps. And the higher tier suffers some drawbacks too. A tier 10 battleship will always cower from a tier 8 dd. Same cant be said about tanks. 

Tier 1s can kill tier 10s. Maybe not practically, but tier difference has to mean something. cant really say the same about world of tanks, except with a few rare exceptions

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,862 posts
6,889 battles
20 minutes ago, Lord_Krobekishnuv said:

low skill/low tier players being pitted against high tier and high skilled players,

Let‘s not kid ourselves here, tiers are no longer an indicator for a player‘s skill. They may have been two years ago, but when I look at how many T10s play as if they just started yesterday, this point is rather moot.

22 minutes ago, Lord_Krobekishnuv said:

such as nerfing/buffing not being as necessary

Ships are not getting buffed because the ships two Tiers higher are so mean, it‘s because these ships suck compared to their in-tier counterparts.

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,480 posts
14,436 battles

NO! Matchmaker does not need to be changed to +/- 1

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

Members
2,575 posts
3,565 battles
9 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Yep, I'm not waiting 5 minutes to play a game that could only take 6 to play.

I mean, it's all well and good if you're chatting on discord, or alt-tabbed and doing something else while you wait, and you have lots of time available, but we aren't all like that.

Oh absolutely. I certainly don't have that time to spare either. But, I'm also really not fond of going up against T10s in my T8s, and T9s in my T7s, so...

• Cool 1

Members
20,839 posts
5,617 battles
3 minutes ago, Harathan said:

Oh absolutely. I certainly don't have that time to spare either. But, I'm also really not fond of going up against T10s in my T8s, and T9s in my T7s, so...

Well, there is that lol.

[TMS]
Members
2,139 posts
23,826 battles

It used to be pretty much +1/-1MM in open beta, it was fine.

[HINON]
Members
10,130 posts
8 minutes ago, Final8ty said:

Umm it used to be +3/-3 and with no restrictions on divs so you could take T1 or T2 ships with T10 ships etc.

• Cool 1

[-SYN-]
[-SYN-]
Alpha Tester
1,168 posts
4,829 battles
13 minutes ago, Final8ty said:

No it wasn't. 

45 minutes ago, xovian said:

I don't mind being bottom tier because I have a firm grasp on how to play. Honestly every time I see one of these threads I wish the poster would be honest with his demands. They might as well be titled "This game exceeds my skill and scope and should be made easier for me".

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[TMS]
Members
2,139 posts
23,826 battles
10 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Umm it used to be +3/-3 and with no restrictions on divs so you could take T1 or T2 ships with T10 ships etc.

I don't remember +3/-3,i used to love my fuso because the most i ever see was T7s, i don't play it anymore because at T8 its a large battle cruiser. T1 at T10 was fun.

Edited by Final8ty

[TMS]
Members
2,139 posts
23,826 battles
1 minute ago, KingCakeBaby said:

No it wasn't. 

I don't mind being bottom tier because I have a firm grasp on how to play. Honestly every time I see one of these threads I wish she poster would be honest with his demands. They might as well be titled "This game exceeds my skill and scope and should be made easier for me".

The majority cannot grasp the game at any tier, making it harder will not help them in anyway shape or form, they will just leave or rarely play.

[CAPGO]
Members
656 posts
4,015 battles

WG is simply being stubborn about it.

I'm not convinced by the idea that +1/-1 MM will drastically increase the queue time.

same numbers of players are getting pulled from same size of pool. ie. less T8 being dragged to t10 game means faster queue between T8 and T9. Same for T10, less T10 being involved in T8 games meaning more T10s to participate in T9,10 games.

Yes, IMO, least populated tier will have slightly longer queue time, but why is the tier unpopular in the first place? That's right, it's just not fun playing against ships of 2 tier up.

You can still have a great game in the bottom tier, but it is undoubtful that you are in a disadvantage. Disadvantage does not equal to a loss but disadvantage is a disadvantage, and if you are keep being put into disadvantage game after game, it really starts to be annoying.

Edited by VVoony
  • Cool 2

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
40 minutes ago, zapporius said:

Only downside would be longer queue times. That's it. And all the benefits.

I don't believe that there would be notably longer queue times. At tiers 3-4 which have fewer players and +1 -1 mm my queue times aint notably longer than at higher tiers with the +2 -2 crap.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
18,400 posts
18,943 battles
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:14 PM, xovian said:

Look harder.

Edit: You yahoos can down vote me all you want.  But xovian is wrong when he clams that no one hates the idea of +/-1 tier MM.  There are ALWAYS people who will disagree with anything.  It's just a fact of life.  And to downvote for recognizing that very obvious fact of life is rather silly.

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[SALVO]
Members
18,400 posts
18,943 battles
12 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Exactly.  I remember having to face a Yamato in my tier 7 Colorado, and I was playing solo, not in a division.  And I  managed to be productive, even shooting at the Yammy.  Of course, I was HE spamming the Yammy, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do, if you want to help your team when you're bottom tier.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,862 posts
6,889 battles
10 minutes ago, Final8ty said:

I don't remember +3/-3,i used to love my fuso because the most i ever see was T7s, i don't play it anymore because at T8 its a large battle cruiser. T1 at T10 was fun.

I do... playing Zuihou against New Orleans which at that point was T8... 

Sign in to follow this