Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Versili

Roma secondary guns that are rendered but are not active

8 comments in this topic

[SAVAG]
[SAVAG]
Members
321 posts

So I noticed a bit ago BB Roma has two secondary cannons per side that are rendered but not included in the ships armament complent. Nor are they active.  The same goes for ishizuchi/Kongos turret cannons and St Louis top deck guns . Is this for balance or is it just something that was left out buy the programmers hoping that the players didn't notice?

[CVA16]
Members
2,790 posts
10,507 battles

The Roma guns may be saluting or practice guns. The guns on the IJN turrets are actually practice aiming guns I believe (much less expensive than firing a 14" shell). For the St Louis, are you talking about the wheeled landing (Marine) cannons between the lifeboats or some other guns. WG doesn't count non-AA guns less than 75mm which may exist on the older ships for anti-torpedo boat work.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
10,089 posts
4 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

The Roma guns may be saluting or practice guns. The guns on the IJN turrets are actually practice aiming guns I believe (much less expensive than firing a 14" shell). For the St Louis, are you talking about the wheeled landing (Marine) cannons between the lifeboats or some other guns. WG doesn't count non-AA guns less than 75mm which may exist on the older ships for anti-torpedo boat work.

This ^

[SAVAG]
[SAVAG]
Members
321 posts
2 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Gotcha just wondering why the guns right next to the main secondaries were there and we're not included in the main inventory . As for the other ships yeah I don't know the whole story on the guns . It was more of why are they modeled and not working .

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,844 posts
6,889 battles

Those guns were guns used primarily to fire star shells. I wouldn‘t know of them being ever used for something else, although I assume that @Phoenix_jz can tell us if they were.

Until then, here is a little bit of data on these guns from navweaps: http://navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_47-40_mk1.php

[CVA16]
Members
2,790 posts
10,507 battles
1 minute ago, Versili said:

It was more of why are they modeled and not working .

They are modeled because the modelers like details and they existed on the plans. I thought it was cool that those St Louis landing guns were modeled even though they are tough to see between the stacks in behind the lifeboats. I only noticed because there was a rendering glitch where those cannon rendered before the lifeboats so there was a brief glimpse that they were there. Some ships even have bridge equipment and other spaces modeled that you really can't see.

[SAVAG]
[SAVAG]
Members
321 posts

Yeah it's been a long time and more and more ships have odd guns placed about . Finally was like yeah why not ask . Someone may have a clue as to why they are there but not implemented. Good to know these things.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,435 posts
2,075 battles
1 hour ago, SireneRacker said:

Those guns were guns used primarily to fire star shells. I wouldn‘t know of them being ever used for something else, although I assume that @Phoenix_jz can tell us if they were.

Until then, here is a little bit of data on these guns from navweaps: http://navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_47-40_mk1.php

^This is the case right here.

The 120/40's were used to fire start shells for night combat, due to the lack of range on the 90mm starshells (and effectiveness of the charge, given how small they were), while the 152mm guns were seen as inadequate from a rate of fire PoV iirc. 

The 120/40's were only for this purpose though, as not only did they lack any sort of anti-ship ammunition (ammo load was 60 illumination rounds per gun), but also any of the necessary fire control equipment. They were seen as adequate in their ability to quickly illuminate a large area, but their effective range was far to limited - only 5000 meters, when in night exercises it had proven possible for battleships to spot other battleships at 8000 meters. 

Because of this, they were seen as still unsuitable of engagement, as the navy required something with a longer range (9000 to 10000 meters at least) and ideally a higher rate of fire. In the meantime, it would be unlikely for the battleships to use such weapons at night due to the proximity they required - rather, it had been discovered that the battleships could easily benefit from star shells fired by other ships, such as the destroyers, and engage at ranges beyond 27000 meters. The only issue in that regard would be the fact that the 120/15 that was fitted to many destroyers and some cruisers had even worse effective range, 4000 meters.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this