You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avrova1904

Which premium destroyer would you recommend?

50 comments in this topic

Members
296 posts
5,255 battles

I am now watching at the premium destroyers available at na server: Sims, Campbeltown, Kidd, Asashio, Gallant, Aigle, Blyskawica, Tachibana, Loyang, Monaghan, Smith, Cossack, Lenningrad, Z-39, Anshan, T-61, Okhotnik. Which one would you consider at this time?

[PVE]
Members
12,447 posts
8,478 battles

If you want to grind US DD Cmdrs, Sims is very good in the Dynamo OP for getting Cmdr XP. 

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,926 posts
10,485 battles

Leningrad and Anshan. Anshan is gremyaschy at t6, where it's still a little monster, and Leningrad is a gremyaschy that's faster, has 2 extra torps, and an extra gun. It's a joy to play

[NMKJT]
Members
3,443 posts
5 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

If you want to grind US DD Cmdrs, Sims is very good in the Dynamo OP for getting Cmdr XP. 

Sims is good for that. But with the incoming AA nerf think Cossack is better for grinding British commanders, and Leningrad does quite well in Dynamo too.

Depends on what you'd like to do, what lines you're interested in.

Will say skip the French

[H_]
Members
340 posts
8,316 battles

Really depends on your play style.. Jack of all trades.. T-61 and a good looking boat as well. Does both torp and guns pretty good. Fun to play and up-tiers decently.

Lenningrad, speed boat.. decent and fun.

Z-39 - no comment this ship and I don't get along very well. Others love this thing.

The others, well they all have pluses and minuses.. and it also depends on what Tier you are looking to jump in at..

T-61 in the middle and does everything pretty good would be my recommendation.

[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,148 posts
10,071 battles

T-61 is the most fun IMO

• Cool 1

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,401 posts
13,944 battles

Tier 7 or above... for XP and credits... also the bulk of your play is in the tier 7 and 8 range. Getting lower tier boats no matter how good can become very boring...they do for me anyway,

• Cool 1

[PTRGT]
Members
166 posts
25,719 battles
19 minutes ago, Avrova1904 said:

I am now watching at the premium destroyers available at na server: Sims, Campbeltown, Kidd, Asashio, Gallant, Aigle, Blyskawica, Tachibana, Loyang, Monaghan, Smith, Cossack, Lenningrad, Z-39, Anshan, T-61, Okhotnik. Which one would you consider at this time?

Cossack and Kidd are my #1 choice in T8 tons of fun. I like Haida and Sims at T7 . Haida is a beast and Sims is good all round. Aigle is very good T6. I also just picked up the Black T9 yesterday but only have played it once but so far it was worth the grind for steel

Members
4,709 posts
7,095 battles

I have not played very many DDs but I do get along well with T-61.  Once you get that 60sec torp reload! Nice.

[WOLF5]
Members
349 posts
6,574 battles

I'm not a DD person but I bought and like the T-61, pretty nice for running operations due to its quick reloading torps.

[RKLES]
Members
8,340 posts
10,570 battles
22 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Yes I agree I have really enjoyed my Sims, and with the concerns about the CV rework vs DDs, having AA Sims would offer some protection against air attacks. And using it in Dynamo Scenerio is fun as well.

[WOLFC]
Members
366 posts
5,077 battles

If you are going to go down the Pan Asian route, consider waiting a couple of weeks until the Lunar New  Year  crates & deals come out.

• Cool 1

[SANK]
Members
223 posts
5,670 battles

T-61 took me through the Fast Ranked to Rank 5 pretty easily. It was a fun and easy boat to use.

LoYang is a fun boat as well.

Though it is limited, the Asashio, can be a fun boat to play. You just need to remember that it is not just a torpedo spamming boat, but a great spotter as well.

[WOLFA]
Members
105 posts
14,259 battles

Loyang, z39.

My top: - Cossack (hydro forever, very good guns, excellent concealment, only a few but 10km torps)(Plus, tier 8 credits income).

- T 61 (jack of all trades, and very good at all, plus hydro at tier 6).

- Leningrad (an excellent gun boat with terrific guns and 40+ knots).

Edited by Mala_suerte71

[5BS]
Members
5,681 posts

Kidd: PTW incarnate. Basically a T9, put at T8, and then buffed with heal (more effective health than the Fletcher). All that for trading torps which on a gunboat are a secondary weapon anyway. Add to that DFAA (which may become more important now), and I'm kinda surprise they still sell the Kidd, as it can punch up better than any currently sold Premiums. It's becoming my most played DD behind Fletcher and Sims.

Edited by _RC1138
  • Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
5,068 posts
14,860 battles

Sims, A good Tier 7 that is getting a big buff to its torpedoes. 

Campbeltown, Low tier I would avoid. 

Kidd, Good Tier 7 USN DD with only one torpedo rack but a heal, also Defensive Fire for helping to stop the spread of CV cancer. 

Asashio, Ah the Sassyho with torpedoes that only hit Battleships and Carriers, Good stealthy scout but gets crewed by MM a lot. 

Gallant, Meh. 

Aigle, Its getting a Torpedo buff but I wouldn't waste money on this boat when there are better options on the list. 

Blyskawica, The Bringer of Lightning. A very good ship I highly recommend. 

Tachibana, Low tier not bad not good. 

Loyang, Its A Benson C Hull but it gets an amazing Hydro that makes it a Destroyers nightmare when fighting for Caps. 

Monaghan, The Gimmick is strong with this one I would pass. 

Smith, Meh. 

Cossack, Borderline Over powered and a very fun ships. If you didn't earn this with the British Destroyer campaign I feel sorry for you. 

Lenningrad, A go fast Russian with poor gun handling. 

Z-39, Meh. 

Anshan, A very good Tier 6 destroyer after you get a 19p captain for her. 

T-61, A good boat that I sank a lot in Rank Sprint while running the Anshan. 

Okhotnik, Ah the Gun Canoe, its a boat of Memes. Usefulness in battle is questionable. 

My Top Picks for Premium Destroyers would be; Kidd for the USA, Cossack for the British, Blyskawica for the LOL and Loyang for its Hydro.

• Cool 1

[UEFN]
Members
609 posts
14,017 battles

My favorite premium DD is the T8 Le Terrible, this is the only premium DD i wouldn't hesitate to ambush and also killed many gearing, trashcan and even a few khab with it, the gun booster tear those DD apart in very short time. Fastest DD in game up to 54 knots help you contest or get cap very quickly, and a T8 DD killed or severely crippled multiple T10 DD mean i secured #1 spot in highest XP most of the time.  I love bringing this DD to T10 match.

The Loyang, Sims, Kidd,T61, Z39 and Asashio are also good.

Edited by Xcalib3r

[WOLFA]
Members
126 posts
6,837 battles

T-61 for all around fun boat

Kidd for Wild West Gunfighting playstyle

Assashio if you want to be uber focused on torping

[KOI-S]
Members
236 posts
1,509 battles

As i have a number of them, and like playing them all, i concur that the T-61 is probably the most well rounded. I also like the Z-39. I tend to play my German ships more including tech tree. So can't go wrong with either IMO.

American, preferred the KIDD.

Russian i like both the Leningrad  and the Okhotink, with a bit more preference on the Okhotink, probably because its new for me. However the  latter ship is a torp spewing machine, so if torps are part of the draw for a prem DD, nothing spits em out faster. Make it rain!  While the guns are slow, they hit hard, so i give the edge to the latter over the former currently.

[KNTAI]
Members
2,186 posts
9,516 battles
1 hour ago, Avrova1904 said:

I have a few of these:

Kidd - My recommendation! She’s got everything to deal with everything. Insane AA means she can even deal with tier X CVs, heal + conceal + speed/ maneuver that makes her one of the most durable DDs in the game, even amongst tier X DDs, firepower that’s superior to YueYang (lol). Her downsides are lackluster torpedoes and issues dealing with cruisers/BBs, yet she nonetheless performs adequately even there.

Lo Yang - She’s okay. Hydro + Smoke is brutal against other DDs, but it’s not as good now that radar is so prevalent. Her damage is also lackluster, her torps aren’t very good and she only has four guns. She’s not bad though. She used to be the darling of ranked season 3 and is still a very solid ship if played correctly.

Blyskawica - Really fun ship to play. She’s got decent everything, but her only outstanding traits are fast fun arcs and terrible AA (even by DD standards). She can stealth torp, but she mainly runs around and guns things. What’s nice about her is she has seven guns, but the guns are slow firing. Her DPM is about average, but her effective DPM at long ranges is significantly higher than other DDs.

Sims: She’s ‘meh’. She is getting a buff soon but right now she has lackluster guns, lackluster torpedoes, lackluster health and lackluster concealment. She is very maneuverable though.

Monaghan: ‘meh’ she has two setups, both equally terrible. A torpedo setup with benson torps but zero gun firepower or a gun setup that’s basically a Farragut.

T-61: An amazing ship. She’s simply leaps and bounds past anything in her tier. Smoke + 4.5km hydro, 6.1km conceal, 8km fast reloading torps, and a decent hit point total. She’s unrivaled at her tier, overpowered.

Anshan: Kinda of an annoying ship to play, her guns turn like battleship guns. Everything else is fine and she’s very competitive, but still annoying.

[WOLF7]
Members
212 posts
3,787 battles

If u want to troll BB use Asashio, there is nothing better out there, It is a tier 8 that loves to be uptiered. To fight other DD, use Cossack. To be an all round, use Kidd. For lower tiers T-61 is Very good.

[CUTIE]
Members
1,529 posts
6,560 battles

Cossack may get you the best bang for the buck, depending on how many (if any) guineas you already have.  She's a very strong T8 destroyer which combines UK smoke & engine acceleration with a speed boost consumable, plus you get very good guns, long-lasting (primarily defensive) hydro, and fast-reloading torpedoes (though only one rack).  If you're looking at having to pay full price for her some of the other options might be better, though.

Loyang was an absolute beast at tier 8, but the proliferation of radar in the high tiers combined with the introduction of the UK & IJN gunboat lines formed a pretty significant indirect nerf to her.  Still a very good ship and worth the money, but not the dominant destroyer she used to be.

T-61 is great at tier 6, but she's great at tier 6.  The bright side of being at a lower tier means you'll run into multiple enemy radar ships relatively rarely, which allows you to do more traditional destroyer stuff (which T-61 excels at).  The down side is that your credit/captain training potential is lower at this tier vs. T8.

Anshan doesn't look like anything special on paper, but in practice if you can position yourself well and read the flow of battle she's incredibly strong.  The guns do rotate very slowly, but when you can pre-position them they hit hard, and the torpedoes are very usable.  Again, though, you're somewhat gimped by the tier she's at in terms of credit potential, and being a Pan Asian ship limits her usefulness as a captain trainer.

Blyskawica was really hurt by the change to gun bloom mechanics introduced a couple years ago, the amount of radar found in her matchmaking spread these days, and by the other T6-8 destroyers which have entered the game since she did.  She's still a very good ship and fun to play, but since she sits alone in her tech tree she's completely worthless as a captain trainer and she doesn't really start to shine until you've ground her captain up to at least 14 points.

Leningrad is as close as you can get to the old (insanely good) tier 7 Kiev.  Excellent guns with low firing arcs & good range and very high speed make her great at harassing fire, plus she actually gets usable torpedoes when you opt to stealth up for a while.  Well worth the money.

Okhotnik is incredibly fun to play, but that's largely because she plays unlike any other destroyer in the game.  And once again, being just a tier 5 greatly reduces her usefulness in terms of credit/captain grinding.

Tachibana was definitely worth the old sale price of 99 cents and is a blast to play, with insane concealment (4.7km with concealment expert), very good torpedoes for the tier, and pretty good guns as well.  But at tier 2 she's pointless as anything more than a fun, occasional diversion, and not really worth the current (full) price imo.

I don't have any of the other ships mentioned so I can't really comment on them.  From having faced them pretty often, the Kidd is a very good ship in a decent player's hands. 

EDIT: having looked at what other destroyers you've played in randoms, I'd lean more heavily toward T-61 or Leningrad right now out of the ships I personally own.  A tier 8 destroyer would make the most sense in the long term, but jumping immediately into one with no DD experience above T7 would likely be pretty painful while you adjust to the realities of high tier destroyer play.

Edited by Harv72b
  • Cool 1