You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
RockstarScotty

Minotaur Research Price Issue

26 comments in this topic

[MACO_]
Members
11 posts
800 battles

When I look at the 'Tech Tree', the Minotaur shows as having a research price of $238,000 and a purchase price of $17,600,000. 

When I click on her to research and purchase, it shows the research price as being $280,000.

What's up with this, a typo or what?

Thanks!

• Boring 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
178 posts
6,604 battles

You need to have the Neptune hull researched first, so the 280000 xp price is for the 238000 xp Mino plus the Neptune hull price.

[KSE]
Members
7,741 posts
8,075 battles

You haven't fully researched all the upgrades to Neptune. Those upgrades are added into Mino's total research cost. Though, honestly, with 476 total rounds, I have no idea why you're already at T10, or what you expect to accomplish there. Take it more slowly, and, as Special Agent Pride says on NCIS: NO, "Learn things", 476 rounds simply doesn't have you ready for T10, not even T8 and 9, really.

• Cool 3

[WOLF7]
Members
37 posts
652 battles
19 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

You haven't fully researched all the upgrades to Neptune. Those upgrades are added into Mino's total research cost. Though, honestly, with 476 total rounds, I have no idea why you're already at T10, or what you expect to accomplish there. Take it more slowly, and, as Special Agent Pride says on NCIS: NO, "Learn things", 476 rounds simply doesn't have you ready for T10, not even T8 and 9, really.

I have heard this mantra over and over again in both WoTs and WoWS and disagree to an extent. I have only 500 games and I feel prepared for tier X.  The only way to git gud at high tiers is by playing high tiers.  I am still learning and far from being a good player, but playing tier 5's for 1000 more games will not help me improve more than playing 1000 tier X games.

[WOLF7]
Members
10,790 posts
55 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

This is the new batch WG has recruited.....they think it's an FPS, and don't think they need to take the time to learn much....:Smile_popcorn:

I don't know where they found them, but clearly they are getting the to open their wallets to get  to top tier. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[KSE]
Members
7,741 posts
8,075 battles
37 minutes ago, ThRiLl_GmYr said:

I have heard this mantra over and over again in both WoTs and WoWS and disagree to an extent. I have only 500 games and I feel prepared for tier X.  The only way to git gud at high tiers is by playing high tiers.  I am still learning and far from being a good player, but playing tier 5's for 1000 more games will not help me improve more than playing 1000 tier X games.

You are 100% wrong.

I used to think that, too. I was quickly, and rather rudely, disabused of my notion. There's so much more to this game than WASD and point and click, and you can only learn that over time, progressing through the trees. You'll learn it faster using 1000 rounds to get to T10 than you will by racing there and then doing 1000 rounds at T10.

• Cool 2

[-TCO-]
Members
14 posts
5,381 battles

I was over 3,000 games before first T10.

No, you should not rush to 10.  You learn before getting there at much lower tiers.  When you get to 10, you're supposed to be well grounded and help your team.

Not burden them with your inexperience --- T10 should polish skills, not be where they are learned.

But, sadly --- you have a lot of company sharing your way of thinking.

Edited by SwissSteel
  • Cool 1

[PNG]
Supertester, Beta Testers
5,777 posts
6,802 battles

I had 300 games in for my DM as my first T10, and 600 for my second and 3rd T10s. Depending on your growth vector that could honestly be sufficient. I usually only need 3 or 4 games to become acclimated to any new ship I play now, and  I end up keeping that experience indefinitey.

[WOLF7]
Members
37 posts
652 battles
47 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

You are 100% wrong.

I used to think that, too. I was quickly, and rather rudely, disabused of my notion. There's so much more to this game than WASD and point and click, and you can only learn that over time, progressing through the trees. You'll learn it faster using 1000 rounds to get to T10 than you will by racing there and then doing 1000 rounds at T10.

Everybody advances at thier own level.  I played this way in WoT and I am a good Tanks player.  In WoWs top tier games I almost always finish in the top half of the scoreboard and top it on occaision.  So I hold my own.  If you needed thousands of games to get to tier 10, that is you.  I will play the game as I see fit.  I may still be learning but I am doing ok compared to many of the potatoes I see in tier ten with thousands of battles and a sub 40% win rate.

[MACO_]
Members
11 posts
800 battles

I will double check, (I checked, and I HAVE researched Neptune) but I believe I have researched all of the ships up to Minotaur. Yes, you are 100% correct in that the are a million things to learn about this game, more than can possibly be learned in 500 games. However, my sole reason in getting my own T10 is because I participate in Clan battles with my team, and I want to have my own T10 rather than a rental. That way, I can use camo and get to know my ship more intimately that I can ever get with a rental. No, I do not plan to play random T10 level battles; I am focusing mostly in the T4 - 6 realm at the moment.

I do believe that there is so much great information in this forum, the video tutorials, and through playing with mates in divisions where they can help me with strategy and positioning. I learn from my (Many) mistakes and understand that it will take time to become a better player in the 'chess game' that is WOWS.

Thanks for you help and comments!

Edited by RockstarScotty

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,524 posts
10,217 battles

With that match count why are you even looking at a tier 10?

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
431 posts
5,241 battles
2 hours ago, Drago25x said:

You need to have the Neptune hull researched first, so the 280000 xp price is for the 238000 xp Mino plus the Neptune hull price.

did you scratch your head in puzzlement for a second, before you kindly posted your response, to wonder how someone can be researching a T10 ship and still miss this concept?

I ... hope this guy never finds himself in a large paper bag. 

[KSE]
Members
7,741 posts
8,075 battles
1 minute ago, ThRiLl_GmYr said:

Everybody advances at thier own level.  I played this way in WoT and I am a good Tanks player.  In WoWs top tier games I almost always finish in the top half of the scoreboard and top it on occaision.  So I hold my own.  If you needed thousands of games to get to tier 10, that is you.  I will play the game as I see fit.  I may still be learning but I am doing ok compared to many of the potatoes I see in tier ten with thousands of battles and a sub 40% win rate.

I had a thoughtful, well written response, and then I thought "Why bother, he clearly doesn't care?".

You know, you're right, you can play as you see fit, and if not being able to play to your potential because you're impatient and refuse to learn what's needed is your cup of tea, so be it. I was trying to offer advice, to help, clearly you don't want it. That's fine, it's no skin off my back if you don't want to learn, I just hope you're always on the other team from me, should we meet in game.

Incidentally, WoT is nothing like WoWs in game play.

I hope you have a great weekend, and fun in game. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
37 posts
652 battles
2 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

I had a thoughtful, well written response, and then I thought "Why bother, he clearly doesn't care?".

You know, you're right, you can play as you see fit, and if not being able to play to your potential because you're impatient and refuse to learn what's needed is your cup of tea, so be it. I was trying to offer advice, to help, clearly you don't want it. That's fine, it's no skin off my back if you don't want to learn, I just hope you're always on the other team from me, should we meet in game.

Incidentally, WoT is nothing like WoWs in game play.

I hope you have a great weekend, and fun in game. :Smile_honoring:

You are right, I don't care.  I enjoy top tier gameplay, not mid tier.  I am doing fine.

[WOLF7]
Members
37 posts
652 battles
16 minutes ago, skillztowin said:

did you scratch your head in puzzlement for a second, before you kindly posted your response, to wonder how someone can be researching a T10 ship and still miss this concept?

I ... hope this guy never finds himself in a large paper bag. 

What an obnoxious response.  I wouldn't be throwing stones if I were you.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
431 posts
5,241 battles
2 minutes ago, ThRiLl_GmYr said:

I wouldn't be throwing stones if I were you.

*Stone thrown*

• Funny 1

[WOLF7]
Members
37 posts
652 battles
2 minutes ago, skillztowin said:

*Stone thrown*

You probably need a few thousand more before tier 10.  Lol.

• Cool 1

[MACO_]
Members
11 posts
800 battles

Okay folks - I didn't intend to touch off a storm here.

I had one reason for using my resources to plow through the UK Tech Tree: I want my own T10 Cruiser for Clan play so I can fully learn - and customize - my ship and not have to rely on rentals. I am not trying to say that I am ready for T10 play because I am not! In our Clan battles, I receive great instruction from my Clan Mates, and also learn from them when we play outside of the Clan experience.

I believe many of you will concur over the advantages of owning a T10 Vs using a rental. Further, if the WOWS team did not intend lower tier players from participating in Clan battles, they would not be providing T10 rentals to use for that purpose!

Still, I have research up through Neptune, when I go to Neptune, I have to option to purchase only. When I go to Minotaur, it shows the research price to be 238,000. BUT, when I click on the ship to research her, it says the research price is 280,000! No other T10 ship shows this change, only the "Research other ships in this tree before you can....", which is why I believe the 280,000 to be a typo.

As far as the other stuff here, I LOVE this game, and am trying to become a better player. I know it takes time, just as I know I am no where near ready to play upper tier alone. I can at least be a useful team member when we can communicate. As a WWII history buff, this game is simply awesome!

Cheers!

[WOLF7]
Members
37 posts
652 battles
3 hours ago, skillztowin said:
1 hour ago, RockstarScotty said:

Okay folks - I didn't intend to touch off a storm here.

I had one reason for using my resources to plow through the UK Tech Tree: I want my own T10 Cruiser for Clan play so I can fully learn - and customize - my ship and not have to rely on rentals. I am not trying to say that I am ready for T10 play because I am not! In our Clan battles, I receive great instruction from my Clan Mates, and also learn from them when we play outside of the Clan experience.

I believe many of you will concur over the advantages of owning a T10 Vs using a rental. Further, if the WOWS team did not intend lower tier players from participating in Clan battles, they would not be providing T10 rentals to use for that purpose!

Still, I have research up through Neptune, when I go to Neptune, I have to option to purchase only. When I go to Minotaur, it shows the research price to be 238,000. BUT, when I click on the ship to research her, it says the research price is 280,000! No other T10 ship shows this change, only the "Research other ships in this tree before you can....", which is why I believe the 280,000 to be a typo.

As far as the other stuff here, I LOVE this game, and am trying to become a better player. I know it takes time, just as I know I am no where near ready to play upper tier alone. I can at least be a useful team member when we can communicate. As a WWII history buff, this game is simply awesome!

Cheers!

As someone else explained, to go to the Mino you must research a module on the Neptune, probably the hull.  You cannot research the Mino without doing that hull first.  Since some people just free XP past a ship, I guess the game allows you to pay that module cost on the Mino instead.

If you buy the Neptune, you probably have to unlock the B hull to advance to the Mino.  That must cost 42k XP.  You do that, and then the XP cost for Mino will drop to 238k.

Or, you can just not buy the Neptune and pay 280k free XP to unlock Mino.  238k for Mino and 42k for the Neptune Hull.  The game is not going to let you get a bargain on the Mino by skipping the Neptune.

[TDG]
Members
1,530 posts
7,029 battles
6 minutes ago, ThRiLl_GmYr said:

As someone else explained, to go to the Mino you must research a module on the Neptune, probably the hull.  You cannot research the Mino without doing that hull first.  Since some people just free XP past a ship, I guess the game allows you to pay that module cost on the Mino instead.

If you buy the Neptune, you probably have to unlock the B hull to advance to the Mino.  That must cost 42k XP.  You do that, and then the XP cost for Mino will drop to 238k.

Or, you can just not buy the Neptune and pay 280k free XP to unlock Mino.  238k for Mino and 42k for the Neptune Hull.  The game is not going to let you get a bargain on the Mino by skipping the Neptune.

You don't have to buy a ship to research the module separately.

You have to unlock each ship one-at-a-time, but the client will include any required modules from the previous ship in the research cost.  

[WOLF7]
Members
37 posts
652 battles
1 minute ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

You don't have to buy a ship to research the module separately.

You have to unlock each ship one-at-a-time, but the client will include any required modules from the previous ship in the research cost.  

Yes, the same is true in WoT.  You don't have to buy but you must research all requisite modules.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
431 posts
5,241 battles
2 hours ago, RockstarScotty said:

I LOVE this game, and am trying to become a better player.

the seas can get salty. but you sail them well. Welcome to the community bud. GL HF! o7

[HINON]
Supertester
20,095 posts
13,578 battles
2 hours ago, RockstarScotty said:

Still, I have research up through Neptune, when I go to Neptune, I have to option to purchase only.

You can research a module on a ship you have unlocked without needing to buy the ship. Like others have said, while you have the Neptune researched, that means you have the stock hull unlocked. Minotaur researches through the B hull on Neptune. You need to research the hull on Neptune before you can unlock Minotaur. The 238k XP price for Minotaur assumes a fully researched Neptune, including the B hull. No typoes here.

As for getting a T10 with so few battles under your belt - .... well, I certainly understand your reasons for wanting one. Clan play with your friends can be a real motivator. But - .... Minotaur? It's perhaps the cruiser that demands the most skill and experience from the player out of the ones available. I personally would've recommended something like Hindenburg for what's both your first T10 and your foray into competitive play. That Minotaur will get devstruck out from underneath you when you make the slightest mistake. Thinnest armor at type / tier, large and exposed citadel and high value target = easy and desirable kill.

[MACO_]
Members
11 posts
800 battles

Thanks Admiral Lert for the info. Yes, Minotaur would seem to be one that would be rather unforgiving. 

I will be getting more battles under my belt, and always be learning!

[HINON]
Supertester
20,095 posts
13,578 battles
2 minutes ago, RockstarScotty said:

I will be getting more battles under my belt, and always be learning!

Well, good luck and hopefully have fun and don't be discouraged if things are rough.