Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CorvusBB39

Top five commander skills

57 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

80
[LRM]
Members
393 posts
7,131 battles

I was prowling around No Zoup for You's YouTube channel the other day and he had this entry wherein he said -- omitting CVs because they are so different -- a 10-point commander should take:

  • Priority Target
  • Last Stand (DDs) or Expert Marksman (the other two)
  • Superintendent
  • Concealment Expert

I find myself pretty much in agreement.  I like PT because I play aggressively and like to know how many people are drawing a bead on me,* EM because I do get impatient waiting for those turrets to slo-o-owly come to bear 180-degrees away, Sup for the extra goodies, and CE because they have to see you to shoot you.

It makes it easier as well to train someone up a ways before you decide where to put him.  Any thoughts from the gallery?

*I got up to 8 once when I over extended in a Bismarck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,193
[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles

Every player plays each ships differently.

Starting with PT, as a dd.....I don't need to see how many are targeting me, every one with a howitzer to a sling shot is targeting me if I am detected. No need 

I rarely use superintendent, well, more than rarely... but many ships I don't need another fighter plane for 6 minutes... the game is only 20 minutes long. or even an extra def fire....It can only be ready as early as it can be ready... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36
[SRBL]
Members
161 posts

That's far too general for me, I run different set ups depending on the ship/line/mode that captain is working. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
432
[O7]
Members
752 posts
13,616 battles

Adrenaline rush is almost always a better choice than expert marksman, and concealment being a 'used on almost everything' skill is simply wrong. Russian Gunboats, AA spec DDs, secondary spec BBs, many HE spamming cruisers, CLs like Atlanta, all do not require CE and I wouldn't recommend using CE on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,193
[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles
2 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Adrenaline Rush is almost always a good choice.

I wish there was a way to justify AR. Granted I have it in almost all of my ships as well.... but this skill is a pet peeve of mine. How often are you less than half health and able to continuously fire your guns. In that scenario, most ships are bobbing and weaving and not firing as soon as they are able...As for dd's slinging torps, sure.  I just wish I could find some real justification of improved damage because of this skill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,843
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,184 posts
12,189 battles

No, don't listen to Zoup. 

PT is a good pick on most ships, with a few exceptions.

LS is a must for DDs, but EM is ship depended as I would rather take AR unless its a ship that actually needs EM.

SI only on ships with heals, definitely not everything. SE is a better pick to start for DDs                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

 CE is a good pick for nearly everything, though some ships need IFHE first, and there are some other exceptions. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,843
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,184 posts
12,189 battles
8 minutes ago, steelers_rule_2018 said:

As a DD what does it matter if 3 or 10 are targeting you, if you are spotted you gotta run or smoke..

You are very wrong. It matters a lot how many are targeting you, especially since sometimes its zero and you can safely fire your guns with impunity. You should be using PT

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,315
[MIA-E]
Members
2,749 posts
7,613 battles
4 minutes ago, Abides said:

I wish there was a way to justify AR. Granted I have it in almost all of my ships as well.... but this skill is a pet peeve of mine. How often are you less than half health and able to continuously fire your guns. In that scenario, most ships are bobbing and weaving and not firing as soon as they are able...As for dd's slinging torps, sure.  I just wish I could find some real justification of improved damage because of this skill.

I mean... I run AR on nearly every captain on nearly every ship I have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,193
[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles
1 minute ago, enderland07 said:

I mean... I run AR on nearly every captain on nearly every ship I have.

I do too. granted there are no better options in many cases at that skill level.   I just wish its value was more easily justified. If I play well and take no damage,, its not used.... so in theory 50% of my games its wasted..... But I digress.... just random thoughts as I wait on this blizzard to  roll through this morning...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,114
[5BS]
Members
5,690 posts

PM > PT

You should ALWAYS assume someone is aiming and shooting at you. But losing a reload of torps or battery because of a temp knockout can be the difference between winning and losing a DPS race.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,315
[MIA-E]
Members
2,749 posts
7,613 battles
2 minutes ago, Abides said:

I do too. granted there are no better options in many cases at that skill level.   I just wish its value was more easily justified. If I play well and take no damage,, its not used.... so in theory 50% of my games its wasted..... But I digress.... just random thoughts as I wait on this blizzard to  roll through this morning...

I don't understand how you'd say that it's not easily justified to have a skill that says "add 10% DPM after 10 minutes."

I guess, if you normally get dev struck it's less useful but in nearly every game I play, AR provides clear, tangible value. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,360 posts
1,510 battles
7 minutes ago, Abides said:

I do too. granted there are no better options in many cases at that skill level.   I just wish its value was more easily justified. If I play well and take no damage,, its not used.... so in theory 50% of my games its wasted..... But I digress.... just random thoughts as I wait on this blizzard to  roll through this morning...

By that logic, Last Stand when you are playing well and not taking damage is wasted.

Some skills are specifically for when things are not going well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,193
[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles
3 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

I don't understand how you'd say that it's not easily justified to have a skill that says "add 10% DPM after 10 minutes."

I guess, if you normally get dev struck it's less useful but in nearly every game I play, AR provides clear, tangible value. 

Unless I am missing something, your 10% damage increase is only based on health...not time. So you must be at 50% health or lower to achieve this buff. then factor in how often you are in a position to use your guns as soon as they are ready.....Maybe 20% of the time? usually one is angling or moving to another cap, or waiting for a ship to turn for better a better shot? Every second one waits to fire his guns negates AR...My point being it is very rare that any ship has the chance to maximize AR.

I would wager that that the real benefit to AR is much closer to 1-2% increased damage over the course of a game. If that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,193
[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles
6 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

By that logic, Last Stand when you are playing well and not taking damage is wasted.

Some skills are specifically for when things are not going well.

Even more of a reason why AR... may have less than expected results.. when you are low on health... you end hiding and playing more carefully…. picking your shots, unless you go full Leerrooy and keep firing away....Every second you don't fire your guns negates AR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
432
[O7]
Members
752 posts
13,616 battles
38 minutes ago, Abides said:

I wish there was a way to justify AR. Granted I have it in almost all of my ships as well.... but this skill is a pet peeve of mine. How often are you less than half health and able to continuously fire your guns. In that scenario, most ships are bobbing and weaving and not firing as soon as they are able...As for dd's slinging torps, sure.  I just wish I could find some real justification of improved damage because of this skill.

Even if you've hardly taken damage it is a DPM increase and if you've taken a lot, it's a tangible increase you can win a game with, and for only 2 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,985
[PVE]
Members
12,562 posts
8,541 battles
45 minutes ago, CorvusBB39 said:

I was prowling around No Zoup for You's YouTube channel the other day and he had this entry wherein he said -- omitting CVs because they are so different -- a 10-point commander should take:

  • Priority Target
  • Last Stand (DDs) or Expert Marksman (the other two)
  • Superintendent
  • Concealment Expert

I find myself pretty much in agreement.  I like PT because I play aggressively and like to know how many people are drawing a bead on me,* EM because I do get impatient waiting for those turrets to slo-o-owly come to bear 180-degrees away, Sup for the extra goodies, and CE because they have to see you to shoot you.

It makes it easier as well to train someone up a ways before you decide where to put him.  Any thoughts from the gallery?

*I got up to 8 once when I over extended in a Bismarck.

I use different skills for different ships.

 

DDs

PT, LS, SE, CE is pretty standard my first 10pts and then I branch off of there to specialize the Cmdr for the DD. At lower tiers, I will sometimes swap SE for SI.

 

CLs

PT, LS, DE/SI/BFT, CE. The third skill varies per cruiser. DE for fire breathers, who don't need the other skills. SI for those with lots of consumables or heals. BFT for cruisers with less than 139mm guns if I don't use SI.

 

CAs

PT, EM/AR, DE/SI, CE. For ships that don't need EM to help the turrets, I use AR. The third skills are the same as for CLs.

 

BBs

PT, EM/AR, BoS/BFT, FP/AFT. For secondary or AA builds, they get BFT & AFT. Pretty much everything else gets BoS/FP. Most BBs get EM, but I will use AR on some who have fast, for a BB, turrets.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,152 posts
14,526 battles
41 minutes ago, Abides said:

I wish there was a way to justify AR. Granted I have it in almost all of my ships as well.... but this skill is a pet peeve of mine. How often are you less than half health and able to continuously fire your guns. In that scenario, most ships are bobbing and weaving and not firing as soon as they are able...As for dd's slinging torps, sure.  I just wish I could find some real justification of improved damage because of this skill.

16 second reload on a 1/2 health Republique?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,193
[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles
3 minutes ago, Kebobstuzov said:

Even if you've hardly taken damage it is a DPM increase and if you've taken a lot, it's a tangible increase you can win a game with, and for only 2 points.

Only....and only if you fire your guns non stop...otherwise, no matter ones health its negated. Not making a mountain out of a molehill... I use it on virtually every ship I have. And I know its only two points...I only bring it up as I wish there was some way to measure the true damage increase this perk provides.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,193
[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles
4 minutes ago, SgtSpud said:

16 second reload on a 1/2 health Republique?

last I'll say on it... as I've said numerous time in this thread... If that Repub is 50% AND gets to fire nonstop... then wonderful....  how often does get to do so in reality without having to turn or dodge or wait for a better shot... or switch targets and wait for his turret's to turn....all of this detracts from AR ....All examples are provided in a perfect environment.... the games are never perfect.....

Again I use it on all ships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
432
[O7]
Members
752 posts
13,616 battles

I often find myself low Hp and firing constantly. Prime example is bourgogne, I can kite an enemy force while VERY low on Hp and use the speed to help me wiggle without getting run up on. All this time i am playing the same I would without AR, but firing a few seconds quicker, helping me to stay alive and get kills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,193
[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles

 

8 minutes ago, Kebobstuzov said:

Prime example is bourgogne, 

 classic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,709
[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,955 posts
7,296 battles
1 hour ago, Abides said:

How often are you less than half health and able to continuously fire your guns

Often enough to justify this skill.

I agree with others, this is the first two-point skill one should grab on pretty much any battleship or cruiser, and DDs hugely benefit from taking it after you have LS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
263
[NAUTI]
Members
348 posts
873 battles
1 hour ago, Kebobstuzov said:

Adrenaline rush is almost always a better choice than expert marksman, and concealment being a 'used on almost everything' skill is simply wrong. Russian Gunboats, AA spec DDs, secondary spec BBs, many HE spamming cruisers, CLs like Atlanta, all do not require CE and I wouldn't recommend using CE on.

You don't recommend CE for AA specced DDs? I could understand the Russian gunboats, but any other DD would definitely want CE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×