You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LifePilgrim

Tier 8 premium BB: Hood, Vanguard, Rome, or Alabama?

50 comments in this topic

[QCM]
Members
1,308 posts
5,552 battles

Which would be worth buying or should I save my money?

I have Atago and Tirpitz for tier 8 premium

And I have Iowa plus North Carolina too.

Edit: 

Thank you guys and gals. I didn't want to be trolled by Roma's guns and Alabama doesn't look like much fun as I have an Iowa with premium camo. I decided I needed a tier VIII premium destroyer and I got myself the Cossack.

Is it any good with the buffs?

Edited by LifePilgrim

Members
2,845 posts
3,092 battles

Only ship I can vouch for is Alabama which plays as sweet as the North Carolina but with a smaller profile, better turning and stellar torpedo protection. Think the trade off it slightly worse AA and less health. 

[SPTR]
Members
26,352 posts
11,647 battles

Any BB captain that needs training up get the ship to the same nation Im leaning towards Alabama for the sake of that you have an individual US captain for Iowa and NC.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,158 posts
4,372 battles

Okay well Hood is a tier 7, so there's that. I have one, but haven't really played it that much so I'm going to refrain from commenting on anything other than its HILARIOUSLY OP DFAA that may or may not be a thing after the end of this month. Vanguard I haven't played and don't have, but it seems like a super-Hood minus the AA gimmick I guess? iDunno, Mouse's review should have all the info you need and then some.

Now, Alabama and Roma, THOSE I can tell you about. We'll start with the Lucky A. Alabama is pretty much North Carolina with improved turning, better torp protection, and a little less length. Her guns are the same as NC's, by which I mean they're great. Her armor scheme should also be a bit improved, but I'm not sure how well that came across in-game. Still, if you like North Carolina you'll feel right at home with Alabama.

Roma is also a good ship, but she's a temperamental one. For starters, those 15" guns are finicky, you have to choose your ammo right or you'll get shatters and overpens for days. But she's also rather well protected and handles like an absolute dream in terms of agility. This ship can MOVE! That said, don't get your hopes up about those smaller guns. Her secondaries are... Well they're better than Alabama and NC's, but that's a low bar to cross. Plus her AA is just bad, and it should feel bad. If you're running a Roma with spotter rather than catapult fighter then you're either far braver than I am or you've resigned yourself to death by bombers. Of course she is absolutely gorgeous, so there's that.

So yeah, long story short: Alabama is more consistent, but Roma can be a blast when she clicks.

[-GDP-]
2,593 posts
1,105 battles

Roma has good pen so tier 10 isn’t an issue, Alabama is not bad as well and Vanguard sucks so don’t get her.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,617 posts
2,491 battles
Just now, Landsraad said:

Okay well Hood is a tier 7, so there's that. I have one, but haven't really played it that much so I'm going to refrain from commenting on anything other than its HILARIOUSLY OP DFAA that may or may not be a thing after the end of this month. Vanguard I haven't played and don't have, but it seems like a super-Hood minus the AA gimmick I guess? iDunno, Mouse's review should have all the info you need and then some.

Vanguard also lacks Hood's firing angles and Hood's gobs of armor plating that shatter HE.  Vanguard is more accurate, much punchier and faster firing and, as a "bonus", has an exposed, above water citadel.

[QCM]
Members
1,308 posts
5,552 battles

So...Hood is OP? Hahaha

Alabama looks a bit boring but the looker Roma is finicky...Vanguard is bad...Hood tier VII but OP? Looks handsome and plays very well?

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
2,158 posts
4,372 battles
2 minutes ago, LifePilgrim said:

So...Hood is OP? Hahaha

Alabama looks a bit boring but the looker Roma is finicky...Vanguard is bad...Hood tier VII but OP? Looks handsome and plays very well?

The AA is OP, the rest of the ship is... Eh, okay I guess? The fact that they had to give it a ridiculously large health pool should let you know something about its effectiveness.

I'd still suggest it over the Vanguard now that I remember that exposed citadel and its bad firing angles (thanks @Helstrem), but I don't know if I'd go with Hood over Roma or Alabama. I certainly didn't, I got mine out of a lucky super-container whereas I bought the other two.

[-GDP-]
2,593 posts
1,105 battles

You can't use all of Vanguard's guns unlike you expose her broadsides, red BBs are so happy when you do that. 

Beta Testers
1,597 posts
3,811 battles

How about Kii instead it will have ten km torps, has 5x2 410mm guns, has a Kyobashi camo(this means more credit income), and looks like it can tear anything apart with it’s unique Japanese design. The kyobashi camo goes on sale a couple of times a year and Roma is the only other premium ship that has it. Between Roma and Kii i’d still go Kii as it’s guns are reliable at least and Roma has the accuracy of a drunken Pirate. Kii all the way look into all tier 8 premium Battleships next time. If it’s for crew training then Massachusetts not only is it somewhat competitive, but it was another tier 8 battleship that you forgot about op. It is very fun to use with secondaries afterall. Overall I am stuck between Mass and Kii which is getting a lot of buffs per dev blog. Yes, Tirpitz can be fun as well but more people have it than The Kii. You know what just get the Kii. It could be the Kii to your success afterall.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,597 posts
3,811 battles
46 minutes ago, LifePilgrim said:

Be patient and get the Kii read my post above well worth the buy. Everyone has a Tirpitz, but not everyone has the Kii. 

[-GDP-]
2,593 posts
1,105 battles

Kii is also getting some buffs, but speed is going to drop a little for it.

[ARP2]
Members
1,320 posts
3,615 battles

Of the options presented, i would say Alabama.  Good guns, good AA suite, solid maneuverability and concealment.  Shes an all around good bote.

The only reason to get Roma is for the special camo and thats only if you struggle to make credits.  Her guns are rage inducingly inaccurate.

Some folks suggested Kii, and i would advise against her.  Shes just a weaker, expensive Amagi.  Amagi outperforms Kii in every metric that matters and the upcoming buffs wont change that.  Again, unless you want the special camo, avoid Kii.

Edited by Hatework

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,379 posts
1 hour ago, LifePilgrim said:

There Can Be Only  ONE  The   Massachusetts:Smile_medal::cap_cool:

Members
540 posts

Aside from Tirpitz/Atago the best bets at T8 are Alabama/Mass.  Roma guns are troll, super high pen so they overpen a bunch or they just outright miss.  Vanguard is just not as good as Bama/Mass.

And Hood is T7, i know others mentioned it i just wanted to point it out cause im a d*ck. :Smile_glasses:

[KSE]
Members
7,741 posts
8,075 battles
1 hour ago, landedkiller said:

How about Kii instead it will have ten km torps, has 5x2 410mm guns, has a Kyobashi camo(this means more credit income), and looks like it can tear anything apart with it’s unique Japanese design. The kyobashi camo goes on sale a couple of times a year and Roma is the only other premium ship that has it. Between Roma and Kii i’d still go Kii as it’s guns are reliable at least and Roma has the accuracy of a drunken Pirate. Kii all the way look into all tier 8 premium Battleships next time. If it’s for crew training then Massachusetts not only is it somewhat competitive, but it was another tier 8 battleship that you forgot about op. It is very fun to use with secondaries afterall. Overall I am stuck between Mass and Kii which is getting a lot of buffs per dev blog. Yes, Tirpitz can be fun as well but more people have it than The Kii. You know what just get the Kii. It could be the Kii to your success afterall.

Incorrect, Ashitaka has it, as well.

[QCM]
Members
1,308 posts
5,552 battles

Ah Cossack is very interesting but a DD.

Bama or Cossal :D?

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,993 posts
4,754 battles
1 hour ago, Landsraad said:

The AA is OP, the rest of the ship is... Eh, okay I guess? 

Those AA you speak of are very very short ranged and won't stop the attack from being dropped except maybe for dive bombers.

Members
2,845 posts
3,092 battles

I imagine both if you did the RN event and have enough so you'd only need the 10 for 99 cent guineas deal to get Cossack. 

Edited by Yoshiblue

[RUST]
Beta Testers
991 posts
11,049 battles
2 hours ago, LifePilgrim said:

Massachusetts for secondary fun unless you need a trainer for the USN BB line.