You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_1204_

Tier 9 BB for Arms Race Ranked

Battleships for ranked  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Best battleship for ranked arms race?

40 comments in this topic

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,646 posts
2,637 battles

Curious for the community pick on best battleship for this upcoming ranked season. Its arms race so it's not typical. If it's a premium I can probably make do, but if a tech tree ship is better than I might want to start allocating resources and captain(s). Curious if secondaries are going to play a big role, or if I should go for the flexibility of Jean. 

With steel on the line and Bourgogne in the shop, its game on!

Edit: obviously its lion and not Lyon. I dont want to risk resetting the poll by correcting

Edited by _1204_
I can spell

[HINON]
Members
10,130 posts

Did realize Lyon was eligible, cool. 

On a serious note Musashi could be fun with the overmatch of doom and  no cvs to worry about.

• Cool 1

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,646 posts
2,637 battles
18 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

On a serious note Musashi could be fun with the overmatch of doom and  no cvs to worry about.

Lol. I mean I put them all on there, but obviously taking Missouri's radar over iowa, and even though izumo was alright, shes not ranked ready. Same for lyon.

Good point about no CVS though. This will be post-8.0

[PVE]
Members
12,562 posts
8,541 battles
21 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

2 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Lol. I mean I put them all on there, but obviously taking Missouri's radar over iowa, and even though izumo was alright, shes not ranked ready. Same for lyon.

Good point about no CVS though. This will be post-8.0

I think what he means is Lion is a T9 UK BB. Lyon is a T7 French BB. :Smile_teethhappy: Your poll needs a y changed to an i.

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,646 posts
2,637 battles
5 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I think what he means is Lion is a T9 UK BB. Lyon is a T7 French BB. :Smile_teethhappy: Your poll needs a y changed to an i.

Oh rats. 

• Funny 1

[-GDP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,593 posts
1,105 battles

Missouri is an Iowa that prints money. It has better AA as well.

Members
702 posts

Flamu only reccomended Missouri 

My problem isthat I suspect a lot of DDs.  Are you sure you want to be 

BB versus DD ?   We tried secondary builds on MO and it just did not result in the amount of damage expected. 

I would start in your favorite Tier 9 DD and just see where the games go.   BBs and CA’s are going to see a lot of torps and stealthy DDs.  

Flamu has a video out that is lonng and boring. But he has a lot of insight on how the games will progress. If you watch the entire video there is a lot of info that will improve your game.

Beta Testers
629 posts
3,748 battles

I expect battleships to perform sub par in the new ranked season, alaska, and krn will dominate the cruiser game, with JB and MO leading the charge for BB's

[-GDP-]
2,593 posts
1,105 battles

I actually wonder how is anyone going to get Missouri  now that she out of the shop and tech tree.

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,646 posts
2,637 battles
40 minutes ago, Toxic_Potato said:

BB versus DD ?   We tried secondary builds on MO and it just did not result in the amount of damage expected. 

I would start in your favorite Tier 9 DD and just see where the games go.   BBs and CA’s are going to see a lot of torps and stealthy DDs.  

Flamu has a video out that is lonng and boring. But he has a lot of insight on how the games will progress. If you watch the entire video there is a lot of info that will improve your game.

Loved the vid. I think Missouri and JB will be my go to, and maybe will use either Lion or Musashi, depending on the meta of ships used (probably lion for dds as opposed to Musashi for anti BBs or CAs)

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,862 posts
6,889 battles

It‘s Musashi. Consistent and hard-hitting gunnery, and no CV threat. Missouri is a second, but the only thing she can bring to the table in this case is her 9.5km Radar, which imo doesn‘t outweight the overmatching capabilities from Musashi.

Missouri‘s AA will be utterly useless unless it‘s about shooting down spotter planes.

• Cool 1

Members
540 posts

My votes for Musashi, her guns dominate and if you are in a MO counting on your radar to win the game your team f*cked up bad.  Musashi also has the armor and TDS to keep it in the fight, with only her AA being a real weakness and in no CV fly zone she has no said weakness.  If you dont have a Musashi then id go for a MO/Iowa, JB is also a good alternate with its MGRB it can punish anything broadside or mow down a DD.  

For cruisers id say Kronstad, her radar is a super powerful tool, she has the guns to do dmg and the RoF to make dmg stick, with a HP pool and armor to make other cruisers jelly. 

Edited by JToney3449
  • Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
2,158 posts
4,372 battles

Huh, all this praying at the altar of the Yamasushi has me eying my Alsace. She may only have 15" guns, but if you know where to aim that's all you need to make a Musashi hurt something fierce. I'd say something more well-rounded would probably rule the day, Musashi's just got too much invested in those huge guns.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,097 posts
9,537 battles

BTW it's not Lyon but Lion. Lyon is the French one :3

Personnally I'll use Musashi because it's the only T9 BB I have but I'm expecting to see a lot of Missouri / Iowa. 

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,905 posts
4,253 battles
5 hours ago, alex08060 said:

Missouri is an Iowa that prints money. It has better AA as well.

the main upgrade for the MO is radar as well as a thicker upper belt which will autobounce musashi

[ARMDA]
Members
323 posts
2,523 battles

Iowa worked very well for me when it came out, so I'm guessing Missouri works even better.

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles

Is all of ranked going to be this mode? Or this mode thrown in randomly/occasionally?

[SRBL]
Members
161 posts
11 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

I'll be using my Mush with Yamamoto. I liked the Arms Race mode and it was hysterical getting 21 second reloads with all the buffs. 

[PLPT]
Members
204 posts
9,513 battles

Missouri is the only BB with any utility for the upcoming season.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,096 posts
9,864 battles
6 hours ago, Hanger_18 said:

the main upgrade for the MO is radar as well as a thicker upper belt which will autobounce musashi

It’s not her upper belt, it’s the forward transverse bulkhead of the citadel. Despite being thicker It is not strong enough to stop Musashi shells except at extreme ranges. However, at those ranges the shells will be coming in more vertical so it’s a mute point in the game.

• Cool 2

[NUWES]
Members
1,937 posts
6,372 battles
9 hours ago, Toxic_Potato said:

You are correct. I'll summarize for people who haven't seen it. I don't like arms race but the video was interesting. What he said was that arms race tends to get ruled by the ships with low detection, particularly the DDs. He said that what happens is people pick up the detection reducing buffs a lot to improve their stealth and control the engagement range and that tends to matter above everything else. With a couple of stealth reduction buffs, the stealthier DDs are nearly undetectable without radar and the radar ship needs to be able to avoid getting spotted itself to do its work. BBs, outside of Missouri, simply can't detect the DDs and they get spotted first and focused down. Most are also too slow to get to buffs so this exacerbates their problems and they fall behind the buff curve. 

He only recommended Missouri because it has low detection,  radar and above-average speed to close into position. He said if you pick up a couple of stealth-increasing buffs you can reduce her detection to the point where she can nearly stealth radar and then she becomes nasty. She can basically pop up and surprise people like an enormous Baltimore and that makes her a threat even to DDs. 

His recommendation, as I recall if you don't have Missouri and want something bigger than a DD is Alaska (if it is out ) followed by Buffalo. This is because they also have low detections and can stealth radar with a buff or two and can then do the same thing as Missouri, but in miniature. He did not highly recommend any BB other than Missouri and in fact largely recommended against BBs for this mode for the reasons I stated earlier. He did recommend some of the other cruisers but I don't remember which off the top of my head. 

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,862 posts
6,889 battles
2 hours ago, SavageTactical said:

It’s not her upper belt, it’s the forward transverse bulkhead of the citadel. Despite being thicker It is not strong enough to stop Musashi shells except at extreme ranges. However, at those ranges the shells will be coming in more vertical so it’s a mute point in the game.

Actually, Hanger is right. Iowa‘s upper belt used to be 25mm only, it has been recently buffed to 32mm. Yet Missouri‘s is still thicker with 38mm.

After the buff the difference is mainly against Yamato and Musashi, and some additional HE shells will shatter. Not much, but it‘s there.