You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Reymu

T5-8 to consider keeping

27 comments in this topic

[NG-NL]
Members
5,339 posts
8,963 battles

Tonight, gonna go ahead and get coal off wins in T5-8 ships. Bismarck is the only one I've kept out of every ship line I've gone up.

Think I may keep Gneisau since she can get a nasty secondary build (even though means training 2nd sec-spec captain), but IDK about the rest. Shirayatsu seems ok but her 34 knots base speed means yeah, she'll get run down easily. Mahan was pretty decent.

[-GS-]
Beta Testers
2,287 posts
19,863 battles

I'm greedy I kept all 273 of my ships . The only ones I got rid of were all those ARP and Dragon ships since they have zero camo's on them...……...

[SIDE]
Members
1,406 posts
9,527 battles
3 minutes ago, KURT_WOLFF said:

I'm greedy I kept all 273 of my ships . The only ones I got rid of were all those ARP and Dragon ships since they have zero camo's on them...……...

That was your choice, but glad I kept mine for the snowflake event. I got a decent amount of coal from them.

Beta Testers
1,486 posts
7,294 battles

My personal favorites are Nagato and Akatsuki.  Both have good strengths they can play to, without having any crippling weaknesses or gimmicks they're reliant on.  Power wise many would call them strong ships, and they both reward smart play.  Being tier 7 they're usually in a good spot MM wise, and see a different spread of maps than the high tier boats.  They also hold their own pretty well when downtiered.  The meta is also less campy meaning they're great ships to bring out and unwind with after doing any higher tier missions or ranked!

Tier 8 has several good ships but Tier 7 provides you with a really different experience, which imo is one of the nicer points of the game.  If you want to play a Tier 6 ship, La Gal is also a funbote.  Squishy, but does a bit of everything.

Members
1,552 posts
13,206 battles

I only kept a few, usually the strongest tech tree  due to having to spec another captain - Bismarck, Fiji, Leander,  Normandie, Charles Martel, North Carolina - Tier 9 Fletcher and Chung Mu

[HYDRO]
Members
2,241 posts
4,197 battles

Cruisers: Konigsberg, Furutaka, Emile Bertin for tier V. Tier VI I would Budy and Leander. Tier VII Fiji, maybe Algerie if you enjoy the playstyle. Tier VIII Almost everything, it's a playstyle question.

Destroyers: Nicholas for tier V. Tier VI Fushun, Fubuki, Farragut. For tier VII I agree Mahan is good, and only bound to get better (scheduled for a main battery buff to 3.3s). As for tier VIII, Kiev, Benson, Lightning are pretty darn good. Akizuki as well

Battleships: Kongo maybe for tier V. I have found Normandie to be a very capable tier VI. Tier VII and VIII are a matter of preference, almost everything is viable and a potential keeper provided you enjoy it.

[INR]
Members
670 posts
3,745 battles

I really enjoy...

Leander

Edinburgh

Aoba

Mogami

Akizuki

I ended up selling Akizuki and my entire Royal Navy tech tree because I'm collecting the IJN CAs (missing Iwaki Alpha and the Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio ships, but they're special cases).

Members
4,709 posts
7,095 battles
53 minutes ago, KURT_WOLFF said:

:Smile_unsure: Wow.  You got your own navy!  Cool.

Beta Testers
1,147 posts
14,476 battles
55 minutes ago, KURT_WOLFF said:

Did you lose your camos?

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,878 posts
58 minutes ago, KURT_WOLFF said:

They all came with a permanent premium cammo, you just had to enable it in filters....

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,878 posts

If it's not premium or I don't have a premium cammo for it, I sold em...

Note, on my quest to get tier 10 ships, I have sold some tech tree ships but will rebuy now that I have all t10 ships.

[PVE]
Members
12,447 posts
8,478 battles
1 hour ago, KURT_WOLFF said:

1 hour ago, _Rumple_ said:

That was your choice, but glad I kept mine for the snowflake event. I got a decent amount of coal from them.

I have 231 ships and I also kept all of my ARP ships. I got 210 Steel and 5,080 coal from my ARP ships.

17 minutes ago, SgtSpud said:

Did you lose your camos?

13 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

They all came with a permanent premium cammo, you just had to enable it in filters....

The ARP ships can not equip camos. So no bonuses. They are painted, but it is not a camo like other ships.

E0BBvex.jpg

• Cool 1

[HELLS]
Members
1,865 posts
18,076 battles
1 hour ago, _Rumple_ said:

Got steel for ARP Takao...

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,878 posts
28 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I have 231 ships and I also kept all of my ARP ships. I got 210 Steel and 5,080 coal from my ARP ships.

The ARP ships can not equip camos. So no bonuses. They are painted, but it is not a camo like other ships.

E0BBvex.jpg

Do they not confer any bonuses to det/accuracy?

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
586 posts
1,216 battles

I'm keeping just about all of mine from T5 up because you never know if you might need them for Ranked, Sprint, Operations, Snowflakes, etc., and you never know which ones might get adjusted to become much better than they are now.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,538 posts

I'm also a ship hoarder, with appx 190 in port.   The snowflake mission took forever, but man oh man was it profitable!   (the proceeds got me 2 more ships and a special captain from the coal.   The steels just got me a somewhat larger pile that's not even close to enough...)

I like lots of ships in that range, but I don't play much tier 5, 6 or 8, due to the stanky mm.  (save ships I'm actually grinding)

Of those that DO see semi-regular service:

Mahan

Farragut

Sims

Benson- current grinder

Haida

T-61

Fushun- current grinder

Fuso- current grinder

Normandie

Lyon

Gascogne

Boise/ Nueve De Julio/ Helena

Dallas- ops, mainly

Cleveland- current grinder

New Orleans.  The downtiering is the best thing to happen to this ship.  I'm finished with the CA's, so this gets played simply because I like it!

Colorado- when RNG isn't effing with you, your enemy's grandmother will feel the pain of your salvo landing, lol.

New Mex- mainly for Ranked Sprint and ops.

Arizona.

Minsk

Leningrad

Oggie- current grinder

Gneisenau.   Even though my torpedoes get destroyed with alarming regularity,  At least this ship HAS some sort of nasty alpha strike to make up for only 6 guns with German BB dispersion.  Plus it's totally different from everything else, and fun to play.

Konig.

Nurnberg.

[PVE]
Members
12,447 posts
8,478 battles
5 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Nope, the ARP ships and Eastern and Southern Dragons (more Myoko clones) do not have the -3% to detectability and +4 to Dispersion of shots at you. So it is like sailing without camo. Still is first win bonuses tho and I do as well in ARP Takao as in Atago. Well good for me in PvP anyways.

kmUeB7D.jpg

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,878 posts
36 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Nope, the ARP ships and Eastern and Southern Dragons (more Myoko clones) do not have the -3% to detectability and +4 to Dispersion of shots at you. So it is like sailing without camo. Still is first win bonuses tho and I do as well in ARP Takao as in Atago. Well good for me in PvP anyways.

kmUeB7D.jpg

Well dang it....

At least I can train up IJN captains, even if I don't understand what they are saying

Beta Testers
1,147 posts
14,476 battles
53 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

No they don't

[SNIPR]
Beta Testers
414 posts
4,134 battles

Honestly I just kept ships that I have great amounts of fun in.  Like back in CBT I sold my kuma and regretted it terribly.  Ever since it appeared in my port for release I have never sold it.  New mexico is one of my favorites.  I am sure there are more ships I would enjoy playing again once more but most of the ships I kept are the ones I have lots of fun in.  Like Nagato.

I think it just comes down to what you enjoy playing really.  I would keep a great amount of T6-7 ships based on what you are comfortable with with operations though.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,795 posts
12,157 battles
2 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

No, they had unique skins and are unable to equip any camos at all.

[WOLF7]
Members
212 posts
3,787 battles

I'm a DD and cruiser player most of the time, so I Tell from my experiência:: Leander, Fiji, Hipper, Chapayev, Kiev, Hatsuharu, Cleveland, Akizuki

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,795 posts
12,157 battles

I don't ever play any of my silver ships, mostly I prefer to play my premiums.  Ones I would consider playing if I didn't have something else to play:

Helena, Cleveland, New Orleans.  I kept Buffalo and found it enjoyable although I dislike T9 and 10 games so likely will never play it.  Myoko is worthy of keeping, I sold it because I have my ARP clones.  Farragut is worthy.  Budyonny is worthy.  Chapayev is worthy of keeping.  I remember enjoying 155 Mogami, although she's long sold.  I'm not a BB guy, but Amagi is fantastic.  I'd have kept Fiji if I didn't have Belfast.  Ditto Leander/Perth.  Kongo would be worthy if I didn't have ARP clones.

Members
2,836 posts
3,085 battles

I tend to mainly keep ships that gave me a perma-camo to go with them. So things like this years and 2017's new years camo ships. Otherwise I think the only ship I would keep off the tech tree thus far would be Aoba and maybe Nagato. Technically could keep Benson via Loyang, but Benson too. Is about it for now me thinks. 

For people that miss these events however; Farragut, Leander, Normandy, Fuso and Cleveland are fine ships. Maybe La Galissonniere, but you could also buy De Grasse.  Guess you could make an argument for Leander vs Perth too. 

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
437 posts
7,510 battles

Kept any and all premiums and still collect them even if I don't end up using them. If not for nothing else but to ensure that I don't end up with a reoccurring one in a Super Container.

Kept all of the ARP ships as they are now no longer (and will most likely never be) available again. Good decision on my part as that was about 7,500 coal right there. And they have the added benefit of training the scrub commanders I decide to keep around and for scenarios.

Kept any and all ships that ended up with permanent camos. This resulted in me buying back a few after getting them through events and such and now I've got a few more than I really need or ever use. But they come in handy for certain grinds from time to time.

The vast majority of ships that I personally decided to keep however are all of the tier 8's. Pretty much my favorite tier and list of ships and, at least for that tier, they are nearly all usable for campaigns.

I've kept (and use) very few of the tier 9's except for the premium ships. The Fletcher (DD only missions), German BB (for secondary hits missions), and Russian Cruiser (for fires and avoided damage missions) are the only two that I actually like from the line ships; even though I also have the US Hvy Cruiser (forgot the names of them but whatever).

I own two tier 10's and that being Des Moines and Gearing. Gearing is lackluster when compared to the Fletcher but the Des Moines is great for anything kind of grinding that involves citadelin' targets.

Tier 5:

… honestly... if it's not premium, I don't think I've kept one.

Kongo is probably one of those that you never forget... might be a bit biased as I've got 5 of the things from the old ARP event, but it's a pretty good ship for that tier.

Tier 6 Keepers:

Dallas is my choice for cruiser. Even among the selection of heavy cruisers for the whole tier.

Personal favorite of the line BB's at this tier goes to New Mexico and Normandy. 12 guns in less turrets and you can pretty well kill anything at a closer range with a single good salvo while long-range being moderately dealt with by more rounds downrange. RNGesus may crap on you, but statically speaking, you put enough rounds out there, at least one will find its mark.

Tough call on a DD at this tier though... Many seem to share a couple similarities with the feeling that some just "suck" less than others.

Fubuki, simply for the 3 torp turrets it has and range, is one to consider. The British and US DD are another to consider and are just about direct counters to Fubuki if they don't eat a torp during engagement. 

Tier 7 Keepers:

Honestly, I don't really know... A rather odd collection of the most imbalanced ships in the game. Some are op as hell, some are gimmicked to death. Some flatout suck when compared to another of the tier above or below it. My choices are for those that hold their own and up tier better than others.

Helena is similar to Myoko and with IFHE melts a lot of things quickly at that tier.

Myoko is tough and has some good guns and lots of them. A higher caliber and lower ROF than Helena, but powerful non the less and the AP can more reliably citadel a target at range.

Lyon would be my primary choice for keeping a tier 7 BB. No camo for it so I sold it off to the highest bidder.

Will say of all the DD's Jervis is one that I wish I had a camo for. Even without it, it's probably my best DD candidate for tier 7 over any of the others; but that's my personal experience with it.

Tier 8 Keepers:

Cleveland: It's still a beast even if it's got tougher competition.

Mogami: Two different gun configurations are just tops for what you want to focus on doing. The 155's are perfect for starting fires and overall damage if/when using IFHE; while the 203's are great for dealing critical damage to other cruisers and even getting some citadel hits in there to boot.

Chapy: Has default spotter plane hull or (when upgraded) has radar. Your choice; although the hull does make a difference with HP and rudder response as well.

Benson: Comes with two hull variants with one that sports 5 guns (same layout and config as the tier 9 fletcher); while the other has a slight boost to AA potential. Depending on your poison, it can deal with other DD's better or help to fend off aircraft moderately better (still kinda useless which is why I stick with the 5 gun layout). All of that while being an amazing torpedo boat.

Bismarck: Brawler extraordinaire with awesome secondary compliment. Fun for close combat knife fighting but sucks at any kinda long-range exchange. Might die trying to yolo into secondary range at tier 10, but I still do.

North Carolina: Medium range and can tank all kinds of punishment when angled. Not the best for tier 10 long-range combat, but far better at it than Bismarck.

Edited by Levits