You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Poisonous_Lily

Tosa class as prem T8 IJN BB. Your Ideads?

35 comments in this topic

[LEGIT]
Members
714 posts
7,070 battles

So while I was recently logging into my Azur Lane account I had a BB version of the Kaga (before refitting into a CV due to Washington treaty)..

Simply put its a Bigger version of Nagato class BB. As you know Tosa class BBs never got a chance to shine IRL due to Washington treaty which resulted in scrapping Tosa and refitting Kaga to fill in the role of CV instead of the severly damaged Amagi (due to Great Kanto earthquake). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tosa-class_battleship

What are your opinion regarding of this ship. Will it make a great BB or not?

Ps. I f'ed the word Ideas in the Topic. My bad :(

Edited by Poisonous_Lily
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[-GDP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,593 posts
1,105 battles

I don’t mind. 

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,646 posts
2,637 battles

So a Japanese tank as opposed to the slick amagi? I'm down

[HOTH]
Beta Testers
19 posts
6,299 battles

As long as they dont treat it the way they treated Mutsu, I see no issues inherent. I would love to see the Tone first though

• Cool 1

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
11,033 posts
8,002 battles
12 minutes ago, capncrunch21 said:

NO. MORE. FAKE. SHIPS. PLEASE.

You must be in the wrong thread, the Tosa hull was built and it was launched. It never was completed or entered service but its far from fake.

• Cool 7

[-TD-]
Members
389 posts
1 minute ago, The_Painted_Target said:

More overmatch is exactly what this game does not need.

Exactly

[TF16A]
[TF16A]
Members
465 posts
6,037 battles
Just now, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

You must be in the wrong thread, the Tosa hull was built and it was launched. It never was completed or entered service but its far from fake.

The Kaga was a Tosa class Battleship that was converted to an Aircraft Carrier when the Kanto Earthquake destroyed the Amagi.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
739 posts
6,256 battles

Wait a premium IJN that isn't a B-hull tech tree ship? Sure...I'll happily win it in a santa crate.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,095 posts
13,578 battles

With that armor, speed and tonnage she'd be better off at T7 rather than T8. Kii has better armor, AA, speed and hitpoints, plus torpedoes. Tosa as described on wikipedia is basically just a slower Ashitaka with slightly worse armor. If you want to play Tosa, just play Ashitaka, they're like 95% the same.

• Cool 1

[SIMP]
Members
1,132 posts
38 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

Ha. It was never completed as a battleship, hence FAKE.

You want me to toss a piece of metal in a river and call it a ship? It WAS going to be the bestest battleship ever. I swear! So it's real now!

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 11
  • Angry 1

Members
5,139 posts
5,962 battles
15 minutes ago, capncrunch21 said:

You want me to toss a piece of metal in a river and call it a ship? It WAS going to be the bestest battleship ever. I swear! So it's real now!

1920px-Tosa_construction_stop.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Tosa

There, is that real enough for you? That's certainly more real than Montana...

• Cool 4

[DPG]
Members
1,119 posts
5,451 battles
17 minutes ago, capncrunch21 said:

Versus something entirely designed in house by the developers.  If one of the navies in this game had thrown a chunk of metal in a river and stuck a pellet gun on the thing, if they thought it would make money then they would probably add the "ship."

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,645 posts
3,733 battles

In all seriousness, I would rather have Tosa in a second IJN BB line, as the T8 "battleship" counterpart to Amagi, with very similar modernization (just more armor and HP in exchange for a lack of speed). Maybe even swap the two, should the second IJN BB line be a "fast" one.

Edited by YamatoA150
  • Cool 1

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
3,750 posts
3,508 battles
1 hour ago, Poisonous_Lily said:

So while I was recently logging into my Azur Lane account I had a BB version of the Kaga (before refitting into a CV due to Washington treaty)..

Simply put its a Bigger version of Nagato class BB. As you know Tosa class BBs never got a chance to shine IRL due to Washington treaty which resulted in scrapping Tosa and refitting Kaga to fill in the role of CV instead of the severly damaged Amagi (due to Great Kanto earthquake). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tosa-class_battleship

What are your opinion regarding of this ship. Will it make a great BB or not?

Ps. I f'ed the word Ideas in the Topic. My bad :(

A fully refitted Tosa with a torpedo bulge and similar super-structure to Nagato. Her displacement is already more than Nagato's and Nagato already has 65,000 HP in Tier 7. Although there is HMS Hood with her insane 67,000 HP which Tosa would most likely be similar to if given a full refit. If Tosa isn't given a new set of boilers, her speed would probably drop to somewhere around 23kts or 24kts similar to Nagato. As such, she could be a good candidate for T7 with her HP, ranged and accurate firepower as her saving grace.

Her armor is significantly worse than Nagato's though, 280mm belt vs a 300mm belt. Basically, I just want a good, fun Battleship to play with good guns and boasting lots of HP to soak up damage with.

1 minute ago, YamatoA150 said:

In all seriousness, I would rather have Tosa in a second IJN BB line, as the T8 "battleship" counterpart to Amagi. Maybe even swap the two, should the second IJN BB line be a "fast" one.

Tosa isn't all that good for T8, she's too slow for the line. I'd rather have Kii's sister Owari in T8 as an up-armored Amagi instead of the abortion we got in Kii that has worse effective horizontal armor in exchange for adequate AA and gimmicky torps, which, after the buff, are still going to be gimmicky as hell.

~Hunter

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,370 posts
10,977 battles

maybe they'll add it in an alt-IJN BB line int he future?:fish_book:

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
3,750 posts
3,508 battles
1 hour ago, The_Painted_Target said:

More overmatch is exactly what this game does not need.

She'd only be able to overmatch 35mm armor. Nothing much changing there, except, her shells won't shatter against anything and will laugh at all turtlebacks in the game.

~Hunter

[-GDP-]
2,593 posts
1,105 battles

Why not, Wot has a super high pen German TD that everyone fears but it reloads pretty slowly. The A 150 will be the same and shots only 6 shells instead of 9. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,413 posts
15,881 battles

Reading that wikipedia description of Tosa and comparing her to Premium Tier VIII BB Kii, the Kii has superior armor protection.  And you guys already whine about how easy to citadel Kii is.

Be careful of what you ask for.  You just may get it.

[-GDP-]
2,593 posts
1,105 battles

Tosa  could be another tier 9.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,413 posts
15,881 battles
12 minutes ago, alex08060 said:

Tosa  could be another tier 9.

No.  Looking at her armor, she's barely make it for Tier VII, IMO.  Tosa would be better armored than Ashitaka, but Nagato has better armor than Tosa.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway