You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Tyranthrax

CV rework and the premiums

15 comments in this topic

[USMC2]
[USMC2]
Members
95 posts
10,375 battles

I couldn't find anything on this, but I buy pretty much every ship. .  I've played the play testing of the cv rework. If anyone is familiar with the the new play style then this will make sense.

What is the gimmick of the premium cv's after this change?

saipan had strafe with no losses, zep has amazing ap small bombing circle. enterprise had a good air superiority/strike group, kaga had a buttload of planes. . .

given the new play changes what will be different about these ships?

Members
1,850 posts
3,784 battles

Saipans big thing was actually higher tier planes with a lower plane count,  the strafing thing was just done because they had such small squadrons.

We don't know for sure yet.  We can make certain conjectures,  like the Saipan will probably have small squadrons but T10 planes,  the Zeppelin will probably keep her bomb characteristics and have the options for Deep Water torpedoes as she does now...and that's all I got.  The Enterprise loses her niche in squadron numbers but she MIGHT have AP bombs to make up for it since USN doesn't have AP bombs in the rework.  Kaga though?  I have no idea.  Maybe a flip,  and have HE bombers?  Maybe even FASTER torpedoes then IJN already gets?  I have no idea but it is kind of exciting to see.

[USMC2]
[USMC2]
Members
95 posts
10,375 battles

was just a thought I had while playing last night.  Not sure how they are going to make them desirable with the new play style, and we haven't tested any of them in the play testing

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,471 posts
10,162 battles
23 minutes ago, Tyranthrax said:

was just a thought I had while playing last night.  Not sure how they are going to make them desirable with the new play style, and we haven't tested any of them in the play testing

My thoughts are that they are still working on their final details, a possible reason for the delay of the patch.

[KSE]
Members
7,729 posts
8,067 battles

We don't know yet. It's that simple. They'll worry about the premiums once the tech trees are dealt with. All we know right now is that all of them will be at T8.

[USMC2]
[USMC2]
Members
95 posts
10,375 battles

this is going to be a big factor in if people keep the ships they bought. I couldn't if it doesn't play any different

Beta Testers
40 posts
1,312 battles

My guess is that Saipan will have t10 aircraft but smaller squadron sizes and longer replenishment rates.  Enterprise will have t7 or maybe 7.5 aircraft with very fast replenishment rates.  I wouldn't be surprised if Enterprise also kept the option for HE or AP dive bombers.  All of this is just guess work however.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,512 posts
13,665 battles

Also, didn't Kaga, Enterprise, and Graf Zeppelin have different torpedo drop patterns than the "standar" one that Saipan has? I know I had more interesting times dodging those patterns in my DD. What happens to those "peculiarities"?

[RLGN]
Members
9,402 posts
18,804 battles
2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

My thoughts are that they are still working on their final details, a possible reason for the delay of the patch.

Delay? Have I missed a news article? (Admittedly, I normally mobile right to the forum, and skip the front page.)

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,676 posts
10,521 battles
4 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Delay? Have I missed a news article? (Admittedly, I normally mobile right to the forum, and skip the front page.)

from Jan 23rd to the 30th.

The delay was specifically for some UI and Visual changes, and a mechanics change to reinforcing sector AA. If they take advantage of the extra week for more, it's a bonus I guess.

• Cool 1

[SF-A]
Members
2,974 posts
6,102 battles

They could potentially have slightly altered aiming reticles for bombs and rockets, and alternative TB drop patterns are still feasible. Maybe a change to armor or heal could be possible, or something like GZ's shipboard consumables could stay.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
1,877 posts
2,645 battles

I was thinking some gimmicks with the amount of fighter patrol consumables available.. Range of patrol and perhaps strength of those planes is possible.    

[USMC2]
[USMC2]
Members
95 posts
10,375 battles

a poster by the name of Tzarevitch posted and had this info:

Summary so far is continuous AA damage is significantly upgraded. Defensive Fire is really punishing now. 

Stuntman has GZ, Kaga, Enterprise and Saipan.

So far:

GZ does not have Stukas. It's running FW 152Cs and Me 155As for some reason. It's DBs still have AP bombs with their super penetration as he was able to citadel a Montana (once). The damage didn't look that high though. The drop animation on the DBs is different from normal. It is less vertical. Also, Benson and Des Moines with full AA rigs and DF can completely annihilate GZ's planes.

Kaga uses HE bombs instead of standard Japanese AP bombs. She still has large plane reserves but fragile planes. He calls it "the most noob friendly carrier" presumably due to the large reserves.  He just started playing Kaga as of the time I write this so no further info. 

Enterprise uses AP bombs instead of standard USN HE bombs (opposite of Lexington). He hasn't played it as of the time I am writing this so no more info. 

Saipan uses T10 Midway planes but has very small squadrons. He hasn't played it as of the time I am writing this so no more info

[USMC2]
[USMC2]
Members
95 posts
10,375 battles

some one else named   posted this:

Kenjister

A bit more on the different plane attributes for those just coming in!

Enterprise:

Her rockets have a oval drop pattern, stretched horizontally.  Rather big area though, so you definitely want to drop coming in from the side.
TBs get 2x2, with a decent sized gap in the center.  Lots of bloom on maneuver.
AP bombs, pretty normal damage wise.

Saipan:

T10 planes, with ~2 minutes recharge for each.
TBs get 4 torps per strike.
DBs are HE, seem standard.
Rockets pretty standard for USN as well.

Kaga:

Lots of planes, very large squads, but very squishy overall despite that. 
Rockets standard for IJN.
TBs get 4 torps per attack run.  Probably the squishiest, can lose the entire squad after a single drop vs T10, or even before if you don't dodge flak well.
DBs are HE and pretty normal otherwise.

Graf:

Rockets are balanced in damage and pen.  They travel VERY FAST, with almost no delay after you release them to get to target.
TBs have very low flooding change, drop 3.
DBs are AP, unique dive pattern.  Instead of climbing then diving, dives immediately then flies level for a while.  Drop is a circle, but depending on when you dive you can either attempt to pen their belt or pen their deck.

[DRACS]
Members
4,094 posts

I'm concerned for Enterprise. Her balancing element added to her during initial testing was the 6th upgrade slot to upgrade the health of their attack craft due to the fact that she had fragile and slow planes. With the upgrade, their health was comparable to the planes used by Lex and Shokaku, while still being noticeably slower.

Without that upgrade, and without a significant buff to her hangar sizes, I worry that she could get deplaned waaaay too quickly. I just watched Fara's video and Enterprise planes were dropping under semi-decent AA like flies ... and that was *tier 6 AA*.