You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Threat Assessment Thursday - Marine Nationale

13 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,049 posts
6,593 battles

Image result for french navy cruisers

*pictured - Marine Nationale (French Navy) cruiser Algérie entering port at Halifax, Canada in March 1940*

Which vessels in the French Navy pose the biggest threat to you and your team?

From fast and agile cruisers capable of setting you and everything you own on fire to hard hitting battleships, the French can bring the fight at range or up close.

Don't forget about 2 fast and furious destroyers that not only pack a punch but can set speed records on the waves!

When you spot Marine Nationale sailing towards you, which ship can lay waste to you and your Fleet?

"I am not afraid... I was born to do this." - Jean D'Arc

#threatassessmentthursday

#marinenationale

#anchorsaweigh

[-K-]
Members
5,778 posts
9,807 battles
22 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

When you spot Marine Nationale sailing towards you, which ship can lay waste to you and your Fleet?

A well played Alsace or Richilieu can be a nightmare to deal with.

De Grasse in the right hands can also be pretty effective (and annoying).

• Cool 1

[DANKY]
Members
689 posts
1,944 battles

Bourgogne can go straight to heck.  Whoever created that devil boat should apologize.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[RKLES]
Members
8,332 posts
10,558 battles

Lyon can be tough thanks to it’s relatively compact size, 16 main guns, good speed, decent Secondaries, and good AA. Thankfully it does not resist return fire that hits it as well as it can dish it out. So sinking it is easy enough if you focus some heavy fire on it and avoid taking too many bad hits yourself.

And the French Saint Louis had me shocked when I witnessed  my Lexington Fighter squadron had instantly vanished into thin air in proximity to said French vessel. My planes did not melt away mind you, that ship shot down every single plane in my  Fighter squadron at the exact same instant lol. Needless to say I made myself a new rule, add Saint Louis to the list of CAs comprised mainly of USN CAs that you do not fly too close to. Always fun to learn something new, and makes sense with the French Navy’s fondness for plastering their ships with 40mm bofors gun mounts among other good AA guns. :Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
7,108 posts
3,722 battles

Honestly not too many of them outright scare me, but they're such well balanced ships that I keep an eye on all of them.

The Cruiser line is so well balanced with both good guns, tough overall hulls, and usable torpedoes. It honestly is so much of what the American Heavy Cruiser line should be, but falls so short of, exchanging torpedoes for better angles.

• Cool 2

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,002 posts

HMM~? Someone say France~?

• Funny 1

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,049 posts
6,593 battles
4 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

HMM~? Someone say France~?

I get some gray hairs (not like I don't already have a head full of them) when I see this in the MM...

image.png

All of the fires, all of the time.

#anchorsaweigh

#marinenationale

[SAVAG]
[SAVAG]
Members
321 posts

Alsace raining 100mm secondary fire from hell on you . And then realize he's got IFHE speced on it uuuugh. The Swiss would be envious.

[RKLES]
Members
8,332 posts
10,558 battles
59 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

Honestly not too many of them outright scare me, but they're such well balanced ships that I keep an eye on all of them.

The Cruiser line is so well balanced with both good guns, tough overall hulls, and usable torpedoes. It honestly is so much of what the American Heavy Cruiser line should be, but falls so short of, exchanging torpedoes for better angles.

USN CAs are also victim in game from the analysts in USN and Warship designers that thought having torpedoes their cruisers and BBs after WWI were far too much of a risk, and not enough return on that risk in their eyes. Which historically speaking in the real world they did have cause for concern, even some in the IJN were conflicted about having Torps on their CAs, but they had them anway since the higher officers insisted. And there were reports of them having to jettison Torps during times when they were fearful of taking hits that could set off the torpedo warheads or even the liquid oxygen propellants for that matter. Off the top of my head I can’t remember a specific case of their Torps being set off on a CA deck, but I am sure it likely happened a few times.

But in game we only run the risk of the Torpedo tubes themselves being disabled or destroyed and not the entire ship. So it does seem like a disadvantage at times for USN. But at least USN CAs benefit from powerful rapid fire main guns, decent secondary guns, and great AA guns. And some of them also have reasonable armor as well.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
5,971 posts
7,952 battles

Bourgogne, in the right hands, a nightmare opponent. You think it is out there, but you know for certain, too late! 

[PVE]
Members
594 posts
5,194 battles

The high tier cruisers mainly. I don't really worry about the battleships accept for maybe the Jean Bart and the Bourgogne but I don't see many of those.