Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

DDs built for island Camping...

8 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
8,387 posts
10,645 battles

When Wargaming run out of ships to add, they could always add in some interesting designs like the Sherman DD as well as the other DD tank designs that were developed. Although I would imagine that would not help with the “island camping problem” in the game. Since these “DDs” very much prefer to hang out on dry land such as islands most of the time and only go swimming when they have to. 

On the bright side next time a ship tries hide beached up against an island, these little guys could always storm the decks of the ship... so who knows it might help with Warships hiding up against islands.:Smile_trollface:

D3BAC98E-F5AC-40CE-B3BC-8291D05C66E0.jpeg.38259eab5a4e2a593d6d41aa13a6df5f.jpeg

0E74E4EE-72BE-4CC7-9291-C7FAB025B94F.thumb.jpeg.a9d1f9232e03953204a1a5c5b509dc8e.jpeg

• Cool 1

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
893 posts

I believe Bovington tank museum in the UK has the last surviving example of this Duplex drive Sherman.

Of course they would be no threat to most any ship.

Shore battery would be another story however!

[HINON]
Members
377 posts
3,197 battles

I see what you did there with the "DD" in the title... :Smile_trollface:

[RKLES]
Members
8,387 posts
10,645 battles
17 minutes ago, jmanII said:

I believe Bovington tank museum in the UK has the last surviving example of this Duplex drive Sherman.

Of course they would be no threat to most any ship.

Shore battery would be another story however!

Makes sense for there to be few to none of such tanks that are still intact since they only needed to build relatively few of them to help storm beaches, and move inland with the the beachhead to secure enough of a safe zone to land the normal tanks as well as everything else their army needed. And I have seen pictures of some of the Sherman DDs in towns along with the other tanks. So just because they were Sherman DDs probably did not excuse them from participating farther inland. So between the comparatively fewer built, the ones that were lost enroute to the beaches, on the beaches, and in following actions. Maybe even some scrapped after the war or sold to other nations or something.

[RKLES]
Members
8,387 posts
10,645 battles
59 minutes ago, zucchinibob said:

I see what you did there with the "DD" in the title... :Smile_trollface:

Lol yes I could not resist making a bit of a joke of the fact the amphibious tanks had “ DD” next to their names when in game and in the navy DD has a different meaning. Jokes were probably told about the tank DDs in WWII as well.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,158 posts
4,372 battles
13 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Makes sense for there to be few to none of such tanks that are still intact since they only needed to build relatively few of them to help storm beaches, and move inland with the the beachhead to secure enough of a safe zone to land the normal tanks as well as everything else their army needed. And I have seen pictures of some of the Sherman DDs in towns along with the other tanks. So just because they were Sherman DDs probably did not excuse them from participating farther inland. So between the comparatively fewer built, the ones that were lost enroute to the beaches, on the beaches, and in following actions. Maybe even some scrapped after the war or sold to other nations or something.

If I recall correctly they were designed so that the flotation gear could be removed after landing and they could continue on as (mostly) regular Shermans. The few you see moving with troops inland are the ones with crews that had the foresight to keep the extra floats and canvas screen so that the tanks could be used for river crossings. Shermans also weren't the only DD tanks. Valentines got the treatment as well, but in smaller numbers than the Shermans since they were older and had to swim with their turrets pointed backward.

Alpha Tester
5,502 posts
2,626 battles

The Duck Sherman would have to wait though. There's only one choice for the first tank to take to the seas: HMS TOG II.

Also, we'll know that WG has run out of ships to put in when they create the Warships equivalent of the Waffentrager E-100.

Sign in to follow this