You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kraayt

Legendary Mod Grind - CoOp or Random?

36 comments in this topic

[BEARS]
[BEARS]
Beta Testers
206 posts
5,752 battles

The legendary base xp grind has to be done in the ship that will use it.

That said, any suggestions as to fastest most efficient route to get the 40k base xp.   

CoOp is faster, better chance of win for the higher xp which is still much lower than Random.

Random pays more, but still crap for losing, plus game can drag out if you are dead and cannot engage another game since you need the specific ship to earn the base xp.

Currently, I'm grinding the base xp in CoOp.   3/4 camo, 10% cost reduction signal only.   

Any suggestions?

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,570 posts
13,451 battles

I think I would lose my mind trying to get 40k base XP in increments of 300.

• Cool 2

[BEARS]
[BEARS]
Beta Testers
206 posts
5,752 battles
1 minute ago, Edgecase said:

I think I would lose my mind trying to get 40k base XP in increments of 300.

Well, to be honest, if you even try half assed you can come out in the top three and frequently top spot.  That is more likely to yield 400-600 in my experience so far.   That does mean adapting your game to bot play with intuitive AI and radar guided rail guns.   It helps to have smoke and patience.

[SHAFT]
Members
327 posts
11,800 battles
19 minutes ago, Kraayt said:

That said, any suggestions as to fastest most efficient route to get the 40k base xp.   

CoOp is faster, better chance of win for the higher xp which is still much lower than Random.

Random pays more, but still crap for losing, plus game can drag out if you are dead and cannot engage another game since you need the specific ship to earn the base xp.

Currently, I'm grinding the base xp in CoOp.   3/4 camo, 10% cost reduction signal only.   

Any suggestions?

You didn't indicate the specific ship you are grinding so its difficult to give specific "advise".

I've completed legendary on Shima, DM, Wooster, Gearing and Montana. Currently working on Yamato, GK, Mino and Moskva.

Co-op is great for getting the 25 wins (3rd part), but is painful for all other parts of the "quest". Remember base xp is dependent on damage, spotting, capping etc. Unless you are lucky with spawn/hesitant team mates it was hard for me to do consistently high damage numbers at T10 in co-op. The dds usually zip in and delete the xp pinatas (BBs) too quick. Co-op is also less ships on the biggest maps, so less opportunity overall.

At T10 Random the ability to get the odd 2k base games is much more "effective" than rolling out 4 to 5 games in co-op to get the same xp.

I just switched from the ship I was grinding legendary on to any premium that I could slap a 19 point captain to grind elite xp if i was sent to port early.

It might help if you are actively grinding up another lines to switch between legendary and that grind.

IMHO you will get burned out trying to push the grind out too quickly, just play natural and it will be over faster than you think.

Good luck with the grind.

• Cool 2

[BEARS]
[BEARS]
Beta Testers
206 posts
5,752 battles
9 minutes ago, Rabin69 said:

You didn't indicate the specific ship you are grinding so its difficult to give specific "advise".

Gearing.   I thought I should have mentioned that earlier, but didn't want to run on too much.  Plus I intend to grind several others you mentioned also.

I do not disagree with you.

Thank you for the reply.

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Members
327 posts
11,800 battles
14 minutes ago, Kraayt said:

Gearing.   I thought I should have mentioned that earlier, but didn't want to run on too much.  Plus I intend to grind several others you mentioned also.

I do not disagree with you.

Thank you for the reply.

Cool. Enjoy the 5.6 detect when you unlock it and have the red Shimas screaming "Hacks" when you see them but they can't see you.

[YORHA]
Members
3,794 posts
6,588 battles
59 minutes ago, Kraayt said:

Any suggestions?

Depends. 

How long do you plan to live?

Edited by JCC45

[TOG]
Members
3,023 posts
16,222 battles

I use Coop in the 25 win section. You finish a match in 10 minutes typically. Hang your head in shame if you lose to a bot. All others i sue randmo due to bigger payouts. the most painful is the final one. 40k base XP. Which means you try to go for at least 1k base XP in a match, win/lose. 

[PVE]
Members
12,447 posts
8,478 battles
1 hour ago, Kraayt said:

Any suggestions?

Co-op is great for grinding wins, sink x ships, break X modules and the like. It is not so great on credit, XP, BXP and the like. You can still do it, but it takes longer.

If you really want to blow through base XP, credits, XP and the like, do PvP. If PvP annoys you too much and you are fine with 'We'll get there when we get there', co-op is MUCH less stress.

[PVE]
Members
12,447 posts
8,478 battles

Forgot to mention, you can see the math done on the UU for a particular ship in this master thread. They will change with the CV and CE skill rework.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,484 posts
10,170 battles

I am not grinding for those. Since the missions will not go away without warning I am not going to grind and just play normally.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,457 posts
9,422 battles
14 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Co-op is great for grinding wins, sink x ships, break X modules and the like. It is not so great on credit, XP, BXP and the like. You can still do it, but it takes longer.

If you really want to blow through base XP, credits, XP and the like, do PvP. If PvP annoys you too much and you are fine with 'We'll get there when we get there', co-op is MUCH less stress.

Pretty much this. Some parts are easier done in PvE, some parts are not. Clan battles is also a very good option for some of the economic bits (assuming your clan isn't a total potato).

[SALVO]
Members
18,309 posts
18,897 battles
15 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

I use Coop in the 25 win section. You finish a match in 10 minutes typically. Hang your head in shame if you lose to a bot. All others i sue randmo use random due to bigger payouts. the most painful is the final one. 40k base XP. Which means you try to go for at least 1k base XP in a match, win/lose. 

Actually, the fastest way to blow through the 40k base XP part is if you play clan battles and your team wins at least occasionally.  At 2500 base XP per CB win, you can really burn through that stage in a real hurry.  And it also helps that even if you don't have the best of games but your team still wins, in CBs, everyone on the team gets 2500 BXP in a win.

On a funny side note... who is this randmo and why are you sueing him, her, or it?  :Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 2

[SALVO]
Members
18,309 posts
18,897 battles
19 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I'm not so sure about coop for breaking modules or starting fires.  Oh, sure, you can do those things.  The problem is that because battles are faster, you're sometimes a bit limited in your ability to farm broken modules or fires started in coop.  Or at least can feel a bit limited.  OTOH, in randoms, you have full 12 ship teams and battles go on longer, which can give you more time to break and burn things.

Coop is also great for farming plane kills as a CV, since current bot CVs and their planes are dumb as stumps.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,852 posts
7,170 battles

Get the wins in co-op, grind everything else in randoms.

Even on a loss you get paid more than a win in co-op. Also you don't bleed credits.

[PVE]
Members
12,447 posts
8,478 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

I'm not so sure about coop for breaking modules or starting fires.  Oh, sure, you can do those things.  The problem is that because battles are faster, you're sometimes a bit limited in your ability to farm broken modules or fires started in coop.  Or at least can feel a bit limited.  OTOH, in randoms, you have full 12 ship teams and battles go on longer, which can give you more time to break and burn things.

Coop is also great for farming plane kills as a CV, since current bot CVs and their planes are dumb as stumps.

Eh, bots don't dodge like people tho and you can get 2 or more average co-op games for every average PvP game.

[SALVO]
Members
18,309 posts
18,897 battles
2 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Eh, bots don't dodge like people tho and you can get 2 or more average co-op games for every average PvP game.

They can also get sunk faster, which reduces your time to work them over properly.

[PVE]
Members
12,447 posts
8,478 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

They can also get sunk faster, which reduces your time to work them over properly.

PvP annoys me, so I like co-op better. PvP is good as you do have 150% the targets and the battles usually do last longer. YMMV.

Edit. If you drive the ship you have to sink, you get at least one on the other team in co-op too. 

Edited by Kizarvexis

[SALVO]
Members
18,309 posts
18,897 battles
6 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

PvP annoys me, so I like co-op better. PvP is good as you do have 150% the targets and the battles usually do last longer. YMMV.

Edit. If you drive the ship you have to sink, you get at least one on the other team in co-op too. 

Don't get me wrong, Kiz.  I play plenty of both coop and randoms.  And I've farmed modules and fires in both.  It just seems that sometimes that bot ships die too quickly in coop for one to have sufficient time for fire and module farming.  Also, consider that because I play both, I'm looking at this question from a more neutral view point.  I'm willing to farm in either one.  I'm not letting any concerns about meta preferences, etc. get in the way of my analysis of which mode is better for module and fire farming.  But obviously, if you have a strong preference that goes beyond "farming efficiency", that's entirely your choice.

[SALVO]
Members
18,309 posts
18,897 battles
8 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Co-Op only for the 25 wins. Everything else in randoms. 

I would extend this to include clan battles.  Because legendary grinding can be done in CBs, Clan Battles is a great place for that grinding, if the ship you want to LegMod grind is acceptable for your clan's battle plans, etc.

But in the binary choice between coop and random, coop is by far the easier for getting the wins, since most anyone can have a 90+% WR in coop.  But for grinding regular XP, credits, free XP, and, finally, base XP, randoms are simply more efficient, when one ignores any mode preferences.

[PVE]
Members
12,447 posts
8,478 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Don't get me wrong, Kiz.  I play plenty of both coop and randoms.  And I've farmed modules and fires in both.  It just seems that sometimes that bot ships die too quickly in coop for one to have sufficient time for fire and module farming.  Also, consider that because I play both, I'm looking at this question from a more neutral view point.  I'm willing to farm in either one.  I'm not letting any concerns about meta preferences, etc. get in the way of my analysis of which mode is better for module and fire farming.  But obviously, if you have a strong preference that goes beyond "farming efficiency", that's entirely your choice.

I'll play PvP as well. Usually 1 PvP for every 8-10 PvE games. I like the relaxed stress of co-op, but for something that is time critical, PvP is the way to go for XP, Credits and the like. I don't disagree with that. It is just that you can do the break modules, sink x ship y times and the like in co-op, because you can more easily dictate at least one of the type you need on the bot team by sailing that ship/type for the bots to mirror it.

[1STBG]
Members
1,155 posts
4,904 battles

You're going to be losing a boatload of credits playing T10 coop. Plus T10 is underpopulated in coop (because of the expense) so you'll frequently get a lot of bots on your team, which will lead to defeats... which gives even more crap XP

[SALVO]
Members
18,309 posts
18,897 battles
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

I'll play PvP as well. Usually 1 PvP for every 8-10 PvE games. I like the relaxed stress of co-op, but for something that is time critical, PvP is the way to go for XP, Credits and the like. I don't disagree with that. It is just that you can do the break modules, sink x ship y times and the like in co-op, because you can more easily dictate at least one of the type you need on the bot team by sailing that ship/type for the bots to mirror it.

Agree completely.  Coop is more relaxed.  But unlike some hardcore coop-ers, I don't mind the randoms meta nor do I find randoms nearly as toxic as some.  

[SALVO]
Members
18,309 posts
18,897 battles
8 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

You're going to be losing a boatload of credits playing T10 coop. Plus T10 is underpopulated in coop (because of the expense) so you'll frequently get a lot of bots on your team, which will lead to defeats... which gives even more crap XP

100% Agree.  This was a point I've been meaning to bring up and keep forgetting before I hit the "submit reply" button.  Tier 10 coop play can be very costly unless you have a premium account and perma camo for your tier 10 ship.